100th Day - Activity Ideas

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

100th Day - Activity Ideas

Unread post by Marie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:41 pm

100th Day - Please share your activity ideas for the 100th day of school

mom2boys

100th Day of School

Unread post by mom2boys » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:41 pm

One of the math activities is the 100 chart and we reached 100 today! My son was so proud! Some of the activities we included in our celebration were graphing the colors of 100 M&M's, reading One Hundred Hungry Ants, and watching a very short video from our library 100 Day Worries. But the thing my boys enjoyed most was bowling! 10 pins for 10 frames=100 (my husband came up with the idea and even took a couple hours off this afternoon and joined us). Score keeping was great math for my 3rd grader also. I think keeping the 100 chart has really helped my K son with not only counting but with place value too. I hope this helps inspire some ideas for someone else's 100 Day Celebration. This has been a great K year for my son using MFW!

Blessings,
~Charlotte

RachelT

100th Day of School

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello! We had fun celebrating our 100th day of school today and the completion of our 100 chart!

Today we read two books:
Miss Bindergarten celebrates 100th Day of Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
and 100 School Days by Anne Rockwell

Then we made a trail mix with 10 pieces of 10 different things - popcorn, almonds, chocolate chips, raisins, pretzels, etc. - so it has 100 pieces. Before making the mix I had out bowls of different sizes and asked the kids to guess (estimate) which size bowl the mix would fit into. Of course they chose the very large mixing bowl and were surprised that it would fit into a ziploc bag. We had fun!!

We also counted all of the popsicle sticks that we have put in a jar in groups of 10 (like the MFWKindergarten TM suggests). We had kept track of colored popsicle sticks for the 100 days in a jar (we put rubber bands around bundles of 10) and then on the 100th day, we took all the bundles apart and laid the 100 sticks all out on the floor and the kids thought it was really fun!

In our scrapbook I have a photo of us making the number "100" out of play dough.

Happy counting!

Posted by RachelT » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi there! We also celebrated our 100th day of school today and I did a search for "100 days of school" or "100th day of school" and found a lot of links to sites with fun ideas.

My son goes to a public school for speech therapy and he saw kids with glasses that looked like 100's the other day, so I did a search for "100th day glasses" and found the pattern and we made them out of cardstock. It was fun!!

We read "Miss Kindergarten Celebrates 100 Days of Kindergarten" and "100 Days of School".

Then we finished our 100 chart. We counted our popsicle sticks by tens (that we've been counting all year). We did some stamping with paint - making a design out of 100 stamps. I had my son try to make a "100" out of legos and started my daughter on a string of beads and cheerios, but it's still not done... Anyway, I'm sure you can find lots of fun ideas. Enjoy your 100th day!
Rachel

kstedl

100th Day

Unread post by kstedl » Sat May 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi!
I planned a big day last year for the 100th Day of School! Here are some or all of the things we did. Some of the ideas I got from other websites, sorry I cannot include the proper credit for some of the ideas. HTH!
Kris

100th Day of School Activities
1. Make necklaces with 100 Fruit Loops. Optional: string in groups of 10 by color.

2. Read the story The Wolf's Chicken Stew. The wolf tries to fatten up the chicken by cooking 100 donuts. There are other "100" books too - check your library!

3. Make a 100 stamp book with 10 pages. Kids place 10 stamps on each page. (stamp & ink - not real stamps)

4. For Pennies: can you stack 100 pennies; how many pennies would be in each group if they were divided in 2,4,5 and 10 groups

5. For Phys. Ed. Do 10 each of:

1. sit-ups
2. touching the toes, then the shoulders, the waist etc.
3. jumping on both feet
4. jumping jacks
5. wiggles all over
6. hops on one foot, then on the other
7. bounces of a ball
8. claps
9. shrugs

6. Weighing items of 100
• Baggies of items of 100
• something to weigh your items
Prepare bags of 100 pennies, 100 popsicle sticks, 100 pasta noodles, 100 fruit loops and any other 100 items you can find.
Plan:
- Guess which bag of 100 items weighs the most down to the least.
- Then test your guesses by weighing them and then chart them.

7. Put together 100 piece puzzles.

8. Use an individual hundred counting charts. Using a commercial die, each child takes turns throwing the die and coloring their chart the same number as is shown on the die for their turn e.g. roll 5, color the first 5 squares, next turn, roll 3, color next 3 squares etc. The first child to get to 100, filling the entire grid is the winner.

9. Have 100 squares pre-cut. Use to make a picture. I used a square whale of a punch and different colored cardstock. The pictures turned out great!

10. Students draw a picture of how they will look when they are 100 years old. This is definately a keeper!

niki

100th Day

Unread post by niki » Sat May 03, 2008 4:34 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:51 pm

One thing we're looking forward to doing is going to the H.S. football field and running 100 yards!! (we may not see it because of the snow, but still and exciting thing to do!)

We'll be at 100 next Friday - the kids are really looking forward to it!

hollybygolly

100th Day

Unread post by hollybygolly » Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm

100th Day

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:03 am

One thing I was planning was to give my twins 100 pennies and take them to the dollar store to let them buy something. I thought it would be a good segway into money which comes next in the K program. : )

Mom2MnS

100th Day

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Sat May 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:43 pm

We graphed 100 M&M's.

We also made trail mix with ten pieces of ten different things (goldfish, pretzels, Kix, tiny chocolate morsels, coconut flakes (lol), nuts, cheerios, raisins, banana chips, dried apricot pieces).

My daughter loved decorating a hollow "100" that I printed on a piece of cardstock with 100 stickers. Have fun!

Cyndi (AZ)

100th Day

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat May 03, 2008 4:37 pm

100th Day

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:42 pm

We made a 100 cake and invited grandparents over to share it with us. I just baked two 8" round cakes, then cut squares out of each middle. Line up the two squares to make a "1" and you have two "0"s leftover. We laid the numbers out on a foil-covered piece of cardboard and frosted them. It was really cute, if I do say so myself . . .

We also filled small glasses with 100 of things to "decorate" the table; pinto beans, jelly beans, m&m's, uncooked rice, cahews, etc. You'd be shocked at how little 100 grains of rice looks!!!

FreshKid

Re: 100th Day of School

Unread post by FreshKid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 am

Here's what we did for the 100th day. (We've (mostly me) been battling colds for two weeks, so it wasn't much.

We did our calendar and 100 chart as usually. His face lit up as he realized the chart was done.
We did a Happy Hundred dance -- free form, no music, just a lot of wiggling.
We made a 100 out of our bodies -- stand like a soldier with arms by our side for "1" then touch toes with back arched for each zero.
I made the 100 cake mentioned above. I was able to use up icing that was leftover from other projects. Iced the cakes, drizzled on another flavor/color or two for a festive look.
So that he could see the numbers clearly, I made a 100 chart on Excel with the numbers filled in. He had to count 100 M&Ms for the chart. On the first row, we worked on a pattern. On the rest of the them, we just did a color per row. I was afraid trying to keep the pattern going would disrupt his "flow" in counting.
Then, we cleared the chart and counted the M&Ms without the chart and grouped them into 10s. Then, counted to 100 by 10.
DS was able to put the M&Ms on the cake.
We did eventually eat the cake -- or at least some of it. (We don't usually have cake unless it is special occasion.)

Beverly

jasntas

Do you do anything for your 100th day of school?

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Next week we will hit our 100th day of school and I told the dc early on that we would be celebrating on that day. Now, it's only days away and will actually fall on Groundhog day. I told them they could have pajama day that day (their cousin had pajama day at ps on the last day of school before Christmas and they were, um, jealous). We saved 100 of our roasted pumpkin seeds from the Thanksgiving activities. My ds plans on bringing 100 marbles to "school" that day. I thought we might fill a page with 100 stickers or maybe google eyes or something. We might have a snack with 100 items such as popcorn, nuts, m&m's, etc.

I was just wondering what others might have done or plan on doing.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

sojen

Re: Do you do anything for your 100th day of school?

Unread post by sojen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:08 pm

The private Christian school near our house celebrates the 101st day by dressing up like dalmatians. They do doggy crafts and everything. I always thought this was a cute idea. When my oldest was in school, before we homschooled, she had to do a 100 facts math test. She's pretty glad those days are gone!

On our 100th day I start planning summer vacation ;)
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

ChampionBuilders

Re: Do you do anything for your 100th day of school?

Unread post by ChampionBuilders » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 pm

We did lots of stuff for our K'ers 100th day. Here's my blog post. If anyone wants my outline or my Hundred's in the Bible page email me.

http://championbuilders.blogspot.com/20 ... ation.html

Lori

Alicia42

Re: 100th Day - Activity Ideas

Unread post by Alicia42 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:09 am

I made sure that the 100th day of school was celebrated with great fun activities back when I was teaching kindergarten. And it was a sight to see all those kids come specially dressed up for the day, all excited, as if they had accomplished something great. And I tried to make them feel they actually had too.

One of the most exciting 100th day activities which is still vivid in my mind is the 'Bring Your Pet with you' activity. On the 100th day, all my students brought over their pets to school - there were many goldfishes, a rabbit or two, even a rat (ugh! But I pretended to look pleased as punch though) and the biggest of all, a labrador (however I must admit he was the most well-behaved guy of the lot!). We teamed it up with the 'Picture a Pet' activity which I got from here: http://www.jumpstart.com/parents/activi ... activities and the kids had so much of fun, especially getting their pics clicked with their beloved pet!