General Ideas for God's Creation from A to Z

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
happymom~

Alphabet Avalanche ideas

Unread post by happymom~ » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:11 pm

Alphabet Avalanche- I love these things! I use them to make words for my son to practice reading. They work so well. I thought I would pass on something that works for us.

Also when we sing the ABC song we sing it once with the letter names and once with the letter sounds. It sounds so cool!

kenziekylanmom

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas!

Unread post by kenziekylanmom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:46 am

I have been so encouraged and we can't wait to get started! We are starting mid-year but I think it's going to be great!

I noticed that the http://www.janbrett.com website has so many wonderful activities that pertain to the Kindergarten and the first grade. I have been using the first grade curriculum for my dd (when we talked about Noahs ark we printed out the Noah's ark mural and cut out and colored everything and then glued it to butcher paper and it made a WONDERFUL mural they also have the mural of the ocean and many other things) and we just decided on the k program for my ds so I can't wait to get started!

Thanks,
Jennifer Wedemeyer
mommy to Kenzie 6 yrs old (Korea)
and Kylan 5 yrs old (Korea)

Michelle in WA

Book series

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 am

I wanted to share a book resource with you. It's a series of 8 books called Early Bird Nature Books. There are books for Ants, Apples Trees, Penguins which are all subjects for MFWK. The other topics are: Cougars, Popcorn, Tigers, Venus Fly Trap, and Vultures.

I like them because the present info in a way that is really understandable. I finally understand how an apple grows and what/why grafting is.

They are published by Lerner Productions Company.

RachelT

Clay vs. Play-Doh

Unread post by RachelT » Thu May 24, 2007 10:53 pm

k&kmom wrote:In the Kindergarden program it has a few projects with clay. Is there a reason why clay and not playdough? Or can either be used?
Post by RachelT » Thu May 24, 2007 9:53 pm
Hi! We are just finishing K tomorrow! We did buy modeling clay at the beginning of the year and used it sometimes for some of the projects. For us it was just a change because we had never used it and so it gave us some variety. I think that its thicker consistency makes little hands develop more strength, but I don't know if that's technically the reason for it's use or if it is meant to be interchangable with playdough? My dc enjoy using both!

Rachel

Postby kellybell » Fri May 25, 2007 5:15 am
I would just pick the material that matches your carpet best -- you know it'll end up there anyway!

We found clay at our local dollar store.

Postby DS4home » Wed May 30, 2007 3:55 pm
I wondered if they chose clay over playdough because it won't dry out over the course of a year. At least at our house anyway, the playdough doesn't last that long. It gets left out ... and I'm out buying more... The Hazells typically have us buying things that give us the most for our money when it comes to curriculum, so this could be overflow from that mindset?

Just my tcw,
Dawn
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

HappyMommy

Incorporating drama into MFW-K

Unread post by HappyMommy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:26 am

BostonMom wrote:Is there any dramatic play built into MFW K? I have an aspiring actor here and was curious to see if we'll have opportunities to "act" while doing our lessons.
Postby cbollin » Tue May 29, 2007 2:59 pm
As a teacher, I am usually doing a lot of skits. They just seem to be there and ready to do even though they are not written in the manual. I'm sure you'll be inspired with some improv along the way.

We act out the stories that we read (helps with sequencing and retention). That's the first thing that pops in my mind.

There are some different acting ideas included with the music CD in K.

--crystal

Postby RachelT » Wed May 30, 2007 11:09 am
Yes, as Crystal said you can certainly act out the special story to the week that goes with each unit and sometimes it's suggested in the Day 6 Book Day activities. My children did this sometimes and they especially like using puppets or stuffed animals to act out the stories which is another fun way to narrate, really. Enjoy!

Rachel

Postby niki » Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm
A few times my kids drew or traced pictures from the book, stuck them on popsicle sticks and did a puppet show behind the toybox. ;)
Niki

Postby HappyMommy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:26 am
My son really enjoys connect-the-dot pictures; I found this website - http://www.coloring.ws/connect.html - it has dot-to-dot pictures of many of the subjects studied in MFW-K. Some are done by connecting alphabet letters, others by numbers. Neat site though, and free! :-)

trinabambina

MFWK files

Unread post by trinabambina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:13 am

In order to keep up with all of the great things I read on this board, I have a Word doc that I have saved for each subject. As I find info on each letter (books, acitivites, videos, etc), I copy it to the word doc. Then, as I get ready to go online and pull books and movies from the library, I just refer back to my list. I am also printing the list, right before the week starts and putting it in the folder for quick reference. This really cuts down on the paper I use and helps me keep up with all of the great ideas you ladies have to share!!
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

Mississippi Jenni

matching upper case and lower case

Unread post by Mississippi Jenni » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am

I learned a neat way to help the kids learn upper and lower case letters. Put some upper case letters on one side of a paper then the lower case on the opposite side. Have then draw lines from the upper case to the lower case. Like this:

A n
M s
N l
L a
S m

Michelle in WA

Filing Picture Cards

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 pm

Just wanted to share an idea we are using. Instead of envelopes for the picture cards, I got a small file card box. I had a set of index card dividers and just file the picture cards behind the appropriate letter. The cards are paper clipped together just to make my life easier.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

Jenn in NC

Creating a picture dictionary

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:31 am

By the end of the K year we had a multitude of picture card cut-outs in envelopes for each letter of the alphabet (the ones used for the matching games etc.) DS hated to throw them all away, and he still occasionally used them for review, so we turned them into a picture dictionary of sorts. I used several sheets of cardstock and wrote "DS's Picture Dictionary" in hollow letters on the first sheet. He colored in the words, and then we glued multicolored library pockets on to each subsequent page, 4 to a page, and one for each letter. We wrote the letter on the front of each pocket, and then the picture cards all slip down into the pocket. I wish I had done it like this at the beginning; if I had I would have had him fill in the pockets as he learned each letter until it was all full. Anyway he is very proud of his picture dictionary!
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

Erna

Lapbooks

Unread post by Erna » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 pm

To help keep track of necklaces (instead of badges), alphabet cards, and the information we've gathered in each theme (because my memory isn't as keen as it once was) we have started compiling all this information into lapbooks. It is a great resource for my daughter because she can review it and even share it with those who visit. We sometimes put in recipes that we've made, poems, and other nuggets in them too. I have shared some pictures on my privatized blog (still open to new readers) of one of our lapbooks. I hope to share pictures of the other lapbooks we've done in the future.

Love2Liv

Resource books

Unread post by Love2Liv » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:20 am

2 great general resources you can probably find at the library are:

SING! PLAY! CREATE! Hands-on Learning for 3-7 year olds
By Lisa Boston

We LOVE this book! This book has fingerplays, songs, drawing lessons and craft projects for multiple themes including: KANGAROO, TURTLE, COW, HORSE, FROG, BUTTERFLY, GOAT, INSECTS(bee, ladybug, caterpillar, dragonfly)and POND(water)

Also,
ARTSTARTS for little hands
By Judy Press

We don't like this as much as the other one, but it has some ideas that go along with MFWK.

Some topics this book has projects for are: LADYBUG, APPLE TREE, SUN, MOON, TURTLES, ELEPHANT, SAILBOAT(water).
Amy
DD 4 1/2
MFWK

amylynn12

the Aa Apple song

Unread post by amylynn12 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:42 am

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:29 pm

Here is the Aa Apple song broken into "notes" with the first two lines of each. It seems to make sense as I am singing it out loud. Sing Twinkle twinkle a few times to get the rhythm down, them hum it a bit to the those words out of your head, then try it with the A-a- apple song. Be sure to use the short letter sound and not the letter name

A-a- Ap-ple, B-b-Butt-er-fly (butterfly said quickly),
Twin-kle-Twin-kle- Lit-tle Starrrr

C-c-Cow, and D-d-Dinosaur
How- I- Won-der- What- You- Are

RachelT

the Aa Apple song

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 am

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:31 pm

We look at each flashcard as we sing it's letter sound and the name of the picture and I think seeing the cards helps us to learn it more quickly. Then we are using our voice, our ears, and our eyes!

Rachel

Mom2MnS

the Aa Apple song

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:44 am

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:54 pm

I hung all of the flash cards on the back of a closet door that could be seen from our school room. This helped us at first when we were learning which thing belonged to which letter.

About the song - you'll end up singing all the way through the tune twice. The first time through is Aa apple through Ll leaf. The second time through is Mm moon through Xx fox. to end the song, you begin again for Yy yellow and Zz zebra and then sing "all are in my Father's world" as an ending.

cbollin

Pictures Cards in K

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 am

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Something I did with my early reading child that is not mentioned in the MFW K manual:

We would practice "early" dictionary skills with the picture cards. I'd take the a few pictures out of the envelopes and have her put them in alphabetical order according to first letter only. Then we'd sort them back into their proper envelope (not really a language arts skill, just an easy way to help to teach her to put things away).

-crystal

shera

Pictures Cards in K

Unread post by shera » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:51 am

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:05 pm

This last time I put the picture cards in a big tupperware container, a box would do, put the lid on and shook it. Then I put it at the end of the hallway and had ds run, bear crawl, army crawl etc to the end of the hall, pick a card run back and find the correct letter to put it by. He really got a kick out of it.

Julie - Staff

Help explaining the Bible verses

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm by Cyndi (WA)
In MFW1, the selections are taken from the CEV Contemporary English Version. In Adventures, they move on to NIrV New Internation Reader's Version for new readers. You could check them out at biblegateway dot com. Just choose a verse and version to read, and see what you think. Again, just trying to give practical ideas.

The best thing to do is pray. And pray some more. I will pray for you, too, that God gives you wisdom in teaching your precious little guy.

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:00 pm by Poohbee
We (my dh and I) decided that it might be better if we got a Bible that would be easier for dd to understand. So, I looked ahead and noticed that for Adventures, an NIrV Bible is included in the package. So, I just went ahead and purchased that same Bible early. We finished out K reading to her from that Bible, and we are using it in MFW 1, as well. It is much easier for my dd to understand the verses when we read "her" Bible. Reading them in a version that is easier for her to understand makes it easier for me to explain them, too.

Jenn in NC

Re: Help explaining the Bible verses

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:06 pm

I have found that it takes son awhile to process the information
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:07 pm
My boys are very much this way, and I think it is wonderful that you are so in tune with your son that you are aware that it is a processing issue, and not a discipline issue or a mind-wandering issue.

Something that really helps with my slower-to-process kids is to read the book more than once. Sometimes I will read it again later that day or sometimes the next day, and then give them some time to internalize the info and form some sort of response. You have probably already tried that but I just thought I would mention it since it helps out my dc so much.

mycobabe

Lapbooks

Unread post by mycobabe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:50 am

I have found that lapbooking is a GREAT way to supplement lessons. My son just loves them, and we can go back and look at them over and over. Hands of a Child has a huge selection of kits to purchase with some freebies. You can also do a google search for a lapbook on the animal of interest. Some of them are free. Here are a few links.

http://www.handsofachild.com/

http://www.lapbooklessons.com/Blogroll.html --scroll to botton of page for free lapbooks

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php

Happy Teaching!

ShanMom

Idea for advanced K'ers

Unread post by ShanMom » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Here's an idea I am trying this time around. Maybe it might work for some of you. My son has already done all the MFW phonics and worksheets, but we are just starting the K program. (I know, that sounds wierd)...but anyway, because I want him to have something to work on each day that is related to the unit, here is my plan:

Each week he writes a 5 sentence story about the item that is featured on the MFW flashcard. So for apple, he will start a story about an apple. Then he can trace over my writing for handwriting practice...and add a new sentence each day. At the end of the week he will have written his own little "reader" and he can draw a picture to go with it. Today my son's story started out like this " Once there was a little apple, sitting. Then the mailman came by, who was a strawberry." that's all we have so far :)

If I wasn't very clear, here's how it works:

Each day he dictates one line of his story to me. I write it on handwriting paper. He copies or traces it. At the end he draws a picture to go with his story. He can re-read it for reading practice!
Pastor's wife and mom to three (Girl 8, Boy 6, and Girl 2 ... using Adventures and 1st Grade)

martinmcash

Changes I made for our family

Unread post by martinmcash » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:43 am

BADGES: We also had trouble with the badges, they would become bothersome for the kids, so I started letting them copy the phrase for the week and drawing the pictures and at the end of Kinder, we will make them into their MFW Kindergarten Book which they can keep. I'm really excited about this.

Spanish/Sign Language: I started doing both and found books at the library that teach both sign and spanish! We also check out bilingual books from the library every week. It works out great because our 10 month old is starting to sign as well :D.

Math Page: Once we got to number 11, instead of drawing eleven circles, I would have him find the cuisinaire rod for ten and one, copy them on the page, color them the same as the rods, then beside each rod write the number and then use the plus and equal sign and so I turned it into an addition problem. He really loves this!

Mercy

Sign language with the letters

Unread post by Mercy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 pm by Mercy
Listening in on the Yahoo group, I "heard" someone mention doing sign language with the letters. What a great idea!!!!!!

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 am by AES
Hi Mercy,
We've done this! Two resources we used were from starfall (dot) com, and my older daughter's social studies book from the virtual academy. I think there are videos from the library as well, but I can't remember if we used those, too. Enjoy K!
Amy E.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 am by Buttercup78
Enchantedlearning.com has a printout of sign language letters.

Erna

Using Lapbooks with MFW-K

Unread post by Erna » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:04 pm

I just thought I'd share my new blog about homeschooling but more importantly because it shares lapbooks that we've made using MFW. Out of respect for the creators, I blank out any mottos for the week because I don't feel it is right to share their ideas with others. I also blank out our pictures for privacy purposes. At any rate, if someone wants to see what we've been doing, gather some ideas, etc. then please feel free to stop by! The URL is http://simplylapbooks.blogspot.com/. I'm just starting it up so it may change over time. :0)

My daughter summed up our experience with MFW-K this way, "Keep buying My Father's World! I like it!"
Last edited by Erna on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:51 am

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm

We loved MFWK, too! What a great curriculum.

One thing that I wished I would have done was take more pictures during school to add the notebook at the end of the year. We have pictures of the Butterfly Garden and Ants, etc., but I wish I would have recorded more things with photos. Just a suggestion.

evey

K- unit study- free multimedia

Unread post by evey » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 am

Go to ubah.com/x2754, click "enter bookstore," click on "links" on left, click on the Beginner Websites to find games, videos, for horses, sun, dinosaurs, many- of our units.

Just to say this my own usborne site, so I almost did not post this- but it really is such a helpful site that we use with our kids. So, I hope it is help to others. We are on horses this week, and took a virtual tour of a farm- the trainer explains how they get the horse to trust him and obey him.

Loving MFW-K!
Evonne