ADV Weeks 8-9

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 8-9

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:07 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 8-9

Daisy

Stepping stones

Unread post by Daisy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:04 pm

While studying rocks for science these weeks, we decided to each make our own stepping stone. It was a blast. We stamped, "Jesus is our Rock" into them and decorated them with smooth stones. Lots of fun, something useful and long-lasting.

kellybell

Science - Trees/Seasons in hot climates

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 am

Ariasarias wrote:In Adventures this week we are to draw a tree in our yard or from a spot here in nature for science in order to begin tracking the seasons. We are then to draw the tree again in the nest season. Although I love this idea, we do not really have seasons here :). Hot and hotter!! :) Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might modify this activity with my children given our present circumstances?
Thank you,
Nicole :)
Hot and hotter! Whew!

Why not find someone here on the list willing to become email penpals with you and take digital pictures of a certain tree once a season (or more)?

Then, you'll make friends and also have an interesting picture of someone else's seasons.

Just an idea.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 am

*Another idea is to just observe where you are every 3 months. That has value too.

*Another idea is to search a web a bit for tourist places that have seasonal photos of their property.

Here’s a website with photos of Brown County Indiana in the fall and winter and even spring! (major touristy area in the autumn) scroll down to the bottom on that page for the seasonal photos.
http://www.browncountycabins.com/hilltop/suites.html

My husband suggests:
Another idea would be to use the webcams on the National Park Service's website. Then you could compare from all over the country.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCams/

-crystal

Allison TX

Unread post by Allison TX » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:58 am

Hi Nicole. We live outside of Houston, so I know what you mean about hot! We did Adventures last year and I loved the tree project! We took pictures of our Crepe Myrtle and it turned out great. In the fall, it was losing its leaves. In the winter it had no leaves. In the spring it had green leaves. And in the summer it had beautiful flowers. It may not be a traditional tree( I think it's actually a shrub), but it got the point across to the kids and the pictures definitely showed the different seasons. As different as they can be in south Texas! Hope this helps!

momto2bears

Unread post by momto2bears » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:25 pm

A friend is taking pictures for us from her back yard, closest thing we can get to having the changing of the leaves. Here in Midland they go from green on the trees to falling off the trees without changing color.
Caren, mom to Christopher 7/11/02 & Hannah 5/7/04

Ariasarias

Thank you

Unread post by Ariasarias » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for your ideas. I like the Crepe Myrtle idea. I think I might try that. We just planted one in our back yard in the Spring.
Thank you.
Nicole :)
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

henryteachers

To go along with Felicity books

Unread post by henryteachers » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:53 am

After reading some of the Felicity series books this week, we found a DVD at our library called Felicity: An American Girl Adventure. It was so well done! I highly recommend it!

Also, you can even take a tour of Felicity's colonial life on the computer--fun games and activites for the kids.
http://www.americangirl.com/movie/felic ... d_home.php

It sure made colonial America and the Felicity books come alive for my children! Enjoy!

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:22 am

I came across another book that tells the story of Sarah Whitcher, but for a younger audience - it has large, beautiful pictures, and the writing is very sweet. Its called The Bear Who Heard Crying by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock and Helen Kinsey. It would be a great addition for those who have youngers tagging along in Adventures!

RB

Unread post by RB » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 am

Just finishing week 8 of ADV and day 49 of 1st. We got a fun book on tape from the library called "Ben and Me" about B Franklin and his pet mouse, Amos. In the story Amos altered an edition of "Poor Richard's Almanac", so today my girls asked if they could make tiny "Poor Amos' Almanacs" to put in the page protector with their "Poor R's Almanacs. Their sayings inside were, "Never step on a mouse" and "Never steal cheese." :)

LA in Baltimore

Tricorn Hats

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:52 pm

We completed the tricorn hats today.
They came out great! The children finished cutting and coloring the white part while I did the Read Aloud of Sarah Whitcher. God bless them...they knew which way to put the hats on. They really are paying attention to those pictures in Exploring American History even when I think they are doing anything but listening! :)

LA in Baltimore
Homeschooling my 4 (Ages 16, 10, 9, and 8)

Michelle in WA

Re: Weeks 8-9

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

We found Hanukkah at Valley Forge by Stephen Krensky at our library.

Also, Linnea's Almanac is a good seasons book. It's by Christina Bjork.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

momtogc

ADV-Paul Revere week 9

Unread post by momtogc » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:45 pm

We read The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere for week 9 in Adventures. It's not in the TM book list but was one of the only books on Revere that we could find at our library. This book contains the poem written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and is wonderfully illustrated (the book says "graved and painted") in a very interesting way by Christoper Bing. He includes a recreation of the letter sent by Thomas Gage to his British troops, a map that follows the British route to Concord, and Paul Revere's own deposition as well as other facts about this time period. I didn't find the poem to be that useful to my dd in learning history, although she enjoyed listening to it, but the maps and letter really give the book character. We were able to use the map when reading our sections from Exploring American History this week. It helped us to visualize where in our country these things took place. I would recommend checking out this book.
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

kw4blessings

**Glittery** tricorn hat!

Unread post by kw4blessings » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:59 am

We are working on week 9 of Adventures and are having a blast with this year so far! I wanted to share about our project today making the tricorn hat, while studying George Washington. My 7 year old dd was excited that we were going to make a craft, but frowned a little as I got out the black construction paper. "Did girls wear these hats?"...."Well, no, I don't think so, but it will be fun to make anyway, right?". She proceeds to whip out multiple colors of glitter glue, and VOILA!... a girly tricorn hat! There can never be enough glitter and glamour for this little gal. :)

Loving Adventures! Thanks MFW! :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Yodergoat

Re: **Glittery** tricorn hat!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 am

That sounds great! Just like in colonial days... but with flair. You can add a changed line to Yankee Doodle:
"She put some glitter glue on her hat and called it macaroni!"

I was a little shocked that my own girl was okay with just black... I was ready to let her "accessorize" it but she didn't ask and I didn't offer. I better not let her see this post. ;)

Adventures is fun, isn't it? :-)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Colonial dress for Adventures (pics)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I said recently that I would share photos of Gail in a colonial times dress which we'd gotten during a field trip for Adventures. So, here they are!
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG (36.74 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
IMG_5613.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG (56.83 KiB) Viewed 7897 times
In retrospect, I should have taken one of her standing up.

The doll is "Shelby," and Gail was just delighted that the women who made the human-sized dresses also made colonial outfits for DOLLS. And she was especially tickled when she found out they were just $5!

I wish I had learned history this way....
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!