Timelines - **Ideas

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Julie - Staff

Timelines - **Ideas

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:35 pm

Timeline threads have been archived on several forums:

1st
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=540 (with a photo & ideas that would apply to other years)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903&p=64332#p65130 (photo)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1976&p=28382#p28384 (top photo)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903&p=101295#p101298 (photo of 1st + CTG)

Adventures
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1976 (with photos)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 443#p26443 (& travel)

CTG
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903&p=101295#p101298 (photo)
viewtopic.php?t=1976#p28382 (photo)
viewtopic.php?t=4765#p66244 (blog photos and discussions about dates)
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4775&p=53794#p53794
viewtopic.php?t=4764#p27768 (easy to add an extra piece)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1217

EX1850 & 1850-MOD
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3675 (including the transfer of all earlier timeline pieces into a timeline book)

High School
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3889 (photo on page 2)

Fly2Peace

How do I lay out our timeline?

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:03 pm

ccpeterson wrote:Okay, this may be a really dumb question, but I just copied our timeline and now I'm staring at it, wondering how to lay it out when I cut the pieces out. Does anyone have a picture of their timeline they can show me, or at least explain to me. THANKS.
Charity
I am guessing there are no two that are identical!!

Ours, I used the longest wall in our living room / school room, taped up a piece of yarn horizontally, about one foot from the ceiling, for a "line" and then taped the year markers along the yarn at intervals. The advantage of tape on a wall, they can be moved if needed. Then the other pieces are added as you study them... well, the creation one and the question mark are a part of the original line if I remember correctly (one at each end of the line).

I have heard of them being done in a fold out accordian style, or vertically on a door, or... whatever works best for you!!

Did this help at all? :)
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:45 pm

Ours is on a basement wall. The pieces are in a horizontal line. I tape them up using masking tape. I don't get too worried about perfect spacing between time markers.

mine is nothing fancy at all.

--crystal

InfertilityMom

Unread post by InfertilityMom » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:17 am

Last year (first grade) I strung a piece of clothesline up across a shelf in our wide bookshelf and hung each timeline piece up with clothespins. It worked well, but we had a FULL clothesline by the end of the year, hard to fit the last few pieces.

The advantage of the clothesline was that pieces were quite moveable so we started out with wider spacing and were able to keep readjusting as we needed. The disadvantage (because it was hanging under a shelf, thus had no back support for the pieces) was that some of the smaller ones would flip over upside-down. I think against a wall, the same idea might work better.

Adventures says we will make a more detailed timeline this year. Since we have the luxury of a dedicated school room in our house, I put up date strips covering an entire wall. I tape paper clips to the back of my timeline pieces, then simply hook them over the strips (again, very movable).
Jenni Saake, Nevada
after 10 years and 10 losses:
ds J. born 12/99 and dd R. 1/03, 1850s to Modern Times
ds J-Bear 1/06 finishing up K, looking toward 1st in early 2012
http://www.InfertilityMom.blogspot.com

cbollin

Has anyone "perfected" the length of their timeline

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 am

Kim Schroter wrote:I know there have been questions about this in the past, but has anyone "perfected" the length of their timeline? I was going to do it last week and felt a bit stumped with the spacing... it will determine where I can set it up. Thanks,
Kim
Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:42 pm
We never did "perfect" our timeline. At first I was concerend and wanted to make sure that somehow I had the spacing all "perfect" like it was a math problem or charting a graph. Or worse --- so that it looked perfect if someone came to my house.

Then my scientist husband said a nice science thing to me while I was trying to figure it out. He said "just make it the best fit for the data that you have." In other words, don't expect it to fall perfectly, neatly into place, but work for the best fit with what we have.

sorry that I don't have an answer that says put the 1400 marker X centimeters away from the 1500 marker or anything like that. You'll do fine and it is ok to adjust it after you get started. It's ok if the space between 1400 and 1500 is not exactly the same space as between 1500-1600 and so on. Have fun with it.

{hug}
--crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Has anyone "perfected" the length of their timeline

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:24 am

Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:25 pm
Kim,
I haven't done the Adventures timeline, but have done timelines. The first one I did with a high schooler and I had it all spaced out. I had always heard that kids need to see the progression of time in equal intervals.

However, after adding the various events, some sections had pieces squeezed on top of one another & some were fairly empty. I felt the intervals were actually a bit deceptive, as if mankind did a lot during some periods, & absolutely nothing at other times -- when actually we may just not have studied things evenly!

So last year in CTG, I just took the space I had, put the beginning at one end & the end at the other end, and put the year zero somewhere in the middle in a way that allowed moving it during the year.

Since we were studying history chronologically, I just added the different year markers as we reached each one. It wasn't spaced out evenly, but it gave a definite sense of what was longest ago, & what happened alongside other things.

Julie

Julie in MN

DD wants more figures...any suggestions?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Kristinemomof3 wrote:She LOVES anything to do with a timeline. I feel I should get more figures. Anyone have suggestions? or should I just stick with the basics.
Thanks,
Kristine
Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:09 pm
One method is to create your own. You can draw, write, or search the internet (google images is great). Then print them out on cardstock. You can color them in or just use the line drawings as is.

I think that process is ideal, as it helps with review & retention when the child really thinks thru what the important point would be.

For pre-made timeline figures, you might Google "Paula's archives timeline figures" to see some samples of various timeline figures. Some are very simple, and some are for kids who like detail but can read historical info in small print.

I do NOT recommend using the timeline for every little thing you come across (I burned a high schooler out with that method!)! But adding when your child requests it -- well, that's wonderful! And you can let her know that the timeline figures do increase in later MFW years :o)
Julie

kellybell

Re: DD wants more figures...any suggestions?

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm
We also wanted a few more timeline characters, and I did make a few, and I did print a few off the internet. We also have a color "all-in-one" printer/scanner/copier so (perhaps breaking some copyright laws) I also copied some book pictures, cutting out a small picture for our timeline (and labeling it with who or what and when).

But, the best timeline markers we have are the ones my own dc created. We'd read something neat or study something and they would say, "this belongs on the timeline" so I would say, "make a timeline marker!"

hsmom2five

Accordian style

Unread post by hsmom2five » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:06 am

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:05 pm by hsmom2five
I got the idea here somewhere....we bought colored dividers and cut the edges off to make them even, then we taped a bunch of them together so that we can fold them up accordian style. I tried to make one "page" for each century...it didn't work out as well as I had planned;we should have had more dividers, but it still works. The children actually use the tape to put on the timeline pieces as well....it doesn't totally cover up the larger pieces, but I think it works pretty well.

Have a great day~
Kim
Homeschool mom to five

cbollin

Contact paper?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:07 am

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:18 am
Some families use the clear contact paper to cover the timeline figures (we don't). I can't use the stuff because it either sticks to me or to itself. I have the worst timeline of all. :)

LizCT

Where do you display your timeline?

Unread post by LizCT » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:08 am

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:28 pm
We had our MFW 1st grade timeline and Adventures timeline figures on our dining room wall for all of last year and half of this year.

I took it all down at Thanksgiving in an effort to make our dining room look more like a dining room :). I was going to put the timeline in a folding book that I made out of cardstock, but I actually miss seeing the reminders of the Old Testament history and US history, so I am seriously considering putting it on the wall of the kids' playroom. If I didn't have that room, I would consider putting it in the stairway.

You may feel like nobody but you notices the timeline, but I found people who came into our home asking questions about the timeline and my kids answering them - that was always cool to see.
Liz in CT

Lucy

Re: Where do you display your timeline?

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:08 am

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm
We did ours on the wall about 6 feet up with a black constrution paper background. The kids or I would add the figures by standing on a small stool or steady chair. I would not try that on the stairs LOL! Anyway there are probably as many ways to display your timeline as there are homes so whatever you do, make it work for your family.

Just so you know that in the last year of the family cycle (year 5), you are given an 11x14 sketch pad to put all the previous 3 years' timeline pieces in plus year 5, which has about 150 pieces. The other 3 years DO NOT have that many.
Lucy

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:25 am

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:41 pm
What we did last year was take heavy cotton string and attach it with tape to the wall. I started just doing the ends, but ended up having to add to the middle and other places as it got heavy and started to sag.

For each timeline piece I would tape a paper clip to the back after dc colored and dated it. Then we would slip the piece onto the string. This made adjusting the times much easier, and there were only a few pieces of tape on the wall, rather than a whole wall-full. I'm pretty sure I got that idea from this board.

mom2woii

Unread post by mom2woii » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:26 am

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:35 pm
I don't have pictures, but I can describe it. I used blue painter's tape for the timeline and then taped each picture on top of that.
Cyndi (WA) wrote:Now that is a cool idea! I thumb-tacked up a craft rope and had to keep adding tacks to keep it level, so I don't recommend that. I love the painter's tape idea!!!

lyntley

Tips

Unread post by lyntley » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:22 am

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 pm by lyntley
"Homeschooling in the Woods" has great pictures and ideas for all different types of timelines.

Also and tips of how to make them.... FREE to look at... They helped me to have a better idea of how I want to put mine together.
cbollin wrote:[Interesting detail for future reference:] In the high school program, MFW uses the homeschooling in the woods timelines that they sell.

toots

Cardstock

Unread post by toots » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:15 pm by toots
What we did...........
Use your three-hole punch to punch holes in four pieces of cardstock.

Line up four pieces of cardstock end to end to make a long line.

Use clear packing tape to cover the "seams" between pieces of cardstock.

Draw your "line" across the side w/out packing tape.

Fold up your time line and put it into your three-ring binder. :)

It worked very well for us!

dhudson

Three kids

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 am

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 pm by dhudson
I actually have my kids each do their own timeline pieces, so I copy three of each. My kids like to color and have their own timeline of the curriculum year we are on.

Then I have a master timeline that I pick out of their timelines to have a timeline that begins at creation.

Lainie

Hanging things on the wall?

Unread post by Lainie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:26 pm

We had a very unsuccessful timeline in 1st. We're grateful for the experience though since we really had to give the time line for CtG a lot of thought.

We went with eye-hook screws and 30lb fishing leader line. Dry wall anchors secured the screws although we didn't tighten them all the way at first.

We attached the line and tied it as tight as possible then screwed the screws all the way in-our line is nice and taut. No drooping :)

Here's a picture: http://mishmashmaggie.blogspot.com/2008 ... -line.html

HTH
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

AudMama

My Timeline

Unread post by AudMama » Sun May 10, 2009 1:16 pm

We're starting CtG tomorrow!! I finally figured out how I wanted to do my timeline. There's absolutely nothing on it yet, but if you want to take a look it's here: http://iamaud.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-timeline.html
~Audrey~
dd11, ds9, ds8, ds4, ds2
http://iamaud.blogspot.com
Currently using Rome to the Reformation & Kindergarten.

cbollin

Two time lines?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Ariasarias wrote:How have you guys done two time lines in your homes?
We'll be doing CTG and First this year and I know that they will overlap.
I'd love to hear your ideas.
Nicole :)
My plan.....(I'm doing CTG and 1st) CTG will be on a wall in the new house.

1st will be done puzzle style to practice sequencing and language activities. So we won't start the timeline until we have 3 pieces. Then it'll be in a baggie to play memory and all of that. my 1st grader likes puzzles and putting things in order (all of her autism stuff), so I thought maybe if I cut the pieces out in a way that it helps to give a hint for the right order, it could be fun for her.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: Two time lines?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:40 pm

I have a strip of masking tape (get painter's tape if you are worried about it pulling paint off the wall) across my living room. My dh's only criticism: honey, it's not straight.

Sorry, I'm not doing 1st this year. :~

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:23 pm

I always have more than one timeline going as I allow each child to have their own and then as the end of the year I have a "master timeline" that goes around the top of the classroom that each child gets to pick their best pieces to go on to. I think for 1st and CtG you'll need two as you'll cover a similiar timeline but not at the exact time and CtG will have more pieces.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm kinda like Dawn. The kids put their time line pieces in a fold out accordion style papers glued together as needed, in their history notebook, so we'll be continuing on their CTG with RTR this fall...Then I have one on the wall (actually it under a high counter top in the kitchen) that is just the year we're on (because that's all that fits, and I get to color those - the kids like when I do "things" with them)! ;)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:59 pm

Ariasarias wrote:How have you guys done two time lines in your homes?
Hi Nicole,
At one time, my 3rd grader had a timeline on one closet door and my high schooler had hers on the other. That was because as you said they had drastic differences between them.

They were vertical, as you can see from this photo: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 382#p28382

Just another idea.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 pm

We did 1st and CtG last year...
We put our string line on the wall and attached the dates to the wall with tape. Then we hung 1st's images on the line with paperclips and added any extra/different from CtG right above the line where needed. We ended up having more of one child's work than the other so---

How about putting up a line on the wall (tape, string, whatever)and hang/attach the date markers with a paperclip or tape on the line
UNDER the line use 1st's images and ABOVE the line use CtG's images ?

-dena
Loving learning with MFW!