Corrections - Can children help check their own math?

cbollin

Corrections - Can children help check their own math?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Do you have any of your children check their own math? How does that work?
Winni wrote:I'm getting sick of checking so much work every night! I can't imagine what it will be like when I have 5 HOMESCHOOLING! Right now I just have 2 kiddos to check and it takes about an hour for everything. My upcoming 7th grader is just starting 5B. I'm having her go through as much of it as she can before we start the next school year (about 5 more weeks). My upcoming 4th grader is in the middle of 2A.

I check their work, put a red "X" by any that they missed, and they correct them the next day on their own. If they need help, they ask me (of course). If they get them wrong again, then we do them together. It seems like it would take the same amount of time to have them read me their answers while I check the answer key.

I check their work in the evenings. Maybe I should do it earlier, then my evenings would be free to play with the baby and 3yo more. I just don't like having my evenings so tied up.
With my middle child, I check it as she goes along or right as she finishes (she's in Singapore 3A) and I don't need an answer key yet. Takes very little time to check it right now.

Oldest --- reads her answers to me while I have the answer key in my hands. She's finished with Singapore and into Saxon 8/7 now. I just say "yep" or "no". We go back and do the no's again.

-crystal

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:22 am

Hi Winni,

Like Crystal, I check things as we go through the day. Like if we are doing language.. I'll check it while we are doing it together or when they are done. Same thing with math. Usually I'm teaching or going over new ideas, so after that we check their work. You're right that it would probably take the same amount of time, except then I'm done when we are done with school. I don't think I would be able to do more at night except look over the next day's things :)

Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

lovelaughs_times_three

Unread post by lovelaughs_times_three » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Could your children check each other's work? The 12-year-old grade the 9-year-old and vis-versa? Would that help cut down on the time and give them something to do while your working with a younger child?

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:10 pm

You know, I was thinking about that...I don't see why I can't. My oldest could definitely handle that, I think. Does anyone see why I shouldn't?
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 am

I check all my children's work, but only because I have some sort of hang-up about that. I erase wrong answers, put the numbers at the top so I don't have to recheck the whole thing, and have them correct it the next day (for the olders--8th, 9th). The others I try to grade as we go.
However, I do get behind sometimes, and that is not good! That is one of my resolutions for next year! I do grade during the day, not at night.
It is nice to see some other mothers in my age range!
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

meagabby

having siblings check each others work

Unread post by meagabby » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 am

lovelaughs_times_three wrote:Could your children check each other's work? The 12-year-old grade the 9-year-old and vis-versa? Would that help cut down on the time and give them something to do while your working with a younger child?

I thought I'd mention what has happened in my house... my dc that are 2yrs apart have compared 'who missed the most', whose handwriting isn't neat, etc.

just thought I'd share since it has happened to us.