Lunch & Breakfast

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
kellybell

Lunch & Breakfast

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:16 am
You know, lunch is one area of our homeschool that consistently works for us! Yippee. Here's how WE do it (surely there are better ways but this fits us).

We made a deck of lunch cards, little cards (half an index card or so) with the name of a lunch main dish on the front and, if needed, its recipe on the back. Most don't need recipes, but some soups and casseroles do. Anyway, our lunches are very varied. We probably have about fifty cards that include meatball soup, homemade mac and cheese, shrimp and pasta (lots of garlic), sub sandwiches, homemade pizza, spaghetti, waffles, "Viking fish" (a recipe we made up during our Viking unit), chicken salad, chili dogs, ramen in a cup (sodium!!!).

And, I purchased one of those big teaching calendars from a school store. It's the kind that hangs on a wall and has a little clear vinyl pocket for each date. We put the numbers in, just like they do in kindergarten, but we mainly use it for lunch planning. We slip the lunch cards in the vinyl windows.

We've got four kids and they get to plan the lunches Monday through Thursday (we've got a co-op on Friday and I pack lunches for that day, they can't escape my peanut butter that easily). So, for example, Mary is our Monday "kid of the day" and last week she chose "Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup" for this week. So, Monday comes around, and since she's had that lunch card in the calendar for a week, I've bought anything we need. She makes the lunch (selecting side dishes on the fly depending on what we have in the fruit bowl or frig), removes the chicken soup card and returns it to the deck, and selects next week's lunch and puts its card in the window/pocket for next Monday. When it's time to go shopping, I can look across the calendar and there should be four lunch cards and I can see if I need to buy some spaghetti sauce or tuna.

There are a few rules:

1. You can't prepare the same lunch twice in a row (you have to choose a different lunch). My ds would have shrimp and pasta each week if he had his way.

2. If someone has a card already selected, you can't also make it. This prevents us from having three days of hot dogs in a row.

3. If you fail to get your card in there a week before you prepare it, you might not have the ingredients for it. Then, you'll be stuck with a mom-lunch.

4. When we made the lunch cards (and we continue to add to them!) I told the kids that three of the four of them must be willing to eat the dish. This keeps us from preparing something that everyone hates.

5. And, if you are that odd man out that hates egg salad, then YOU have to prepare a lunch from what you can find. Peanut butter, leftovers, Cheerios.

6. If we try something easy for dinner, you can ask mom if it can be added to the lunch rotation.

7. And, if mom gets tired of a certain lunch, she has absolute power to remove that card.

8. One card is labeled "Cookbook Special" which allows a kid to try a new recipe (with my approval). If the dish is a hit (and easy) we can make a card for it.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:08 am
If you want to do this, I guess I'd suggest brainstorming with your children about what would make good lunches. And, have them make the little menu cards. And, cut plenty of extra cards because you'll be making new ones. And, be willing to throw away (or hide for a while) lunches that are not a hit. Keep lots of "side dishes" on hand for filling out the lunches. Things like pepper and carrot sticks, apple slices, oranges, nuts, string cheese, crackers and cheese.

Keep a few kid-friendly cookbooks on hand (Pampered Chef used to sell "Kids in the Kitchen" and maybe still sells it) with easy food and bright pictures to encourage them to try new things.

Also, allow them to eat a little "junk," stuff you'd never imagine serving them. My kids think "nachos" (chips with melted cheddar) is a terrific lunch. Ugh. So, we might serve these, but we make sure we add fruit and veggies to the meal. And, ramen. My kids love it but it's all salt with a little grease. Ugh. Hey, once a week is okay. Don't forget to include some "breakfast for lunch" options such as pancakes or french toast. That's fun.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:56 pm
Yes, 7.5 is too young to cook, BUT if you work with her side by side at this age, she'll be whipping up lunch in no time. My 9 yo ds can cook many things alone. He's a bit careless (spills things, trips over his own feet, drops things) so I usually find a good reason to hang out in the kitchen (maybe unloading the dishwasher, sitting at the table helping another child with spelling or math) and casually remind him of safety hints, etc. I usually "pitch in" to do his cutting, etc.

My big girls (ages 11 and 13) can work totally unsupervised for recipes they've done before. I watch them with new recipes.

Practice makes perfect (well, okay practice makes good enough) but practice takes time!

[Editor's Note: More details below.]

cbollin

"Give me your Lunch Ideas."

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:29 pm

One place to look is menus4moms.com
Maybe you could bookmark this link:
http://menus4moms.com/lunch/lunch.php

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:10 pm

I like the ideas on this site: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/lunch.htm
Julie

Postby Julie in MN » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:02 pm
I'm not a good cook, and I don't generally "do lunch" for my kids, but the first year I brought my youngest home, we had a "morning meeting" during which we planned the menu once a week. We ate better meals that year! We also always had the right groceries on hand.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 pm

We actually have our school time lunches down to a fine science, and that's one part of our school that consistently works. Of course, what works for me might not work for you...

Here's what we do:

A few years ago, when my kids were going bonkers as they saw me reach for the Skippy and Smuckers jar one too many times, I decided to hand lunch over to them!

First, we already owned one of those pocket calendars from the teacher supply store. It's big and has clear vinyl pockets that you put the dates in. Well, I made a bunch (several dozen) blank cards that fit in the pockets and had the kids come up with some good lunch ideas. For each idea (main dish only -- we round it out with whatever fruits, veggies, yogurt or cheese is in the frig) they decorated and labeled a cute little card. For example, the French Toast card has a piece of bread holding a French flag. For lunches that require a recipe (perhaps a soup or something), we wrote the recipe on the back; most don't need a recipe though.

We ended up with about three dozen cards. And, the collection changes. If I got tired a certain card, I hid it for a while (I believe the Spaghetti-Os card is permanently lost and will stay that way) and if we stumbled across a fun lunch idea, we made a card for it (I keep a couple of blanks).

I have four kids and there are five weekdays so each of us are responsible for one day of the week. Mary is Monday, for example. So, if today is Monday, she makes the lunch that of the card that she put in the calendar for today. I'll help her if she needs help. Then, before the day is over, she puts in a lunch for next week. Maybe today she made chicken stir fry and decided on club sandwiches for next week.

There are a few rules: since there is just one card for each lunch idea, we won't end up with a week of hot dogs. Also, you are not allowed to have the same lunch twice in a row (so, Mary couldn't pick chicken stir fry for next week too). And, you have to pick next week's lunch a week in advance (that gives me a chance to go shopping if we're missing an ingredient).

It works for us. Hey, if nothing else, everyone is guaranteed one lunch that they like each week.

Here are some of our lunch cards that I can think of right off the top of my head:

Spaghetti
Tacos
Bean and cheese burritos
Beanie Weenies
Quesadillas
A few different types of sandwiches (club, grilled cheese, PB&J, tuna, egg salad, etc.)
Eggs in an English Muffin
Homemade pizza (either we make dough or put it on French toast)
Hot dogs
Hamburgers
Sloppy Joes
Mac and Cheese
Several types of homemade soup (mac and cheese soup, chicken noodle)
Crackers, cheese, and salami
Pasta Salad
Homemade chili
Smoothies
Shrimp and noodles
Canned soup
Ramen
Furry Toe Pie (actually this is Frito Pie but the first time I served it my son said, "Furry toe pie???" and the name stuck)
Chicken nuggets (homemade or store bought)
Chicken sandwiches using those horrid patties
Chef salad
Hot pockets
Fish fillets (homemade)

Often our lunch is better than our supper, especially on ballet nights!

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:10 pm
If a kid doesn't like the lunch of the day, he or she (in our house, it's most likely he) is free to get a bowl of not sweet cereal (Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes or the ubiquitous Plain Spoon-sized Shredded Wheat) or a ham or peanut butter sandwich as those things are usually on hand. He has to make the meal, put up the utensils and ingredients, etc. so that it's no impact on the hostess of the day.

If it's a meal that is basically hated by several kids, we somehow manage to lose the card (I think I mentioned Spaghetti-Os before as being a "lost card"). Or if I decide a meal is too much trouble or mess or lunch time, the card gets lost. Or, if a card is getting overused, I might misplace it for a while.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

I go to www.organizedhome.com and use there printables and print off their blank menu. I plan all our meals for the weak. That way I'm not guessing what to make (it also makes a grocery list easier and you don't buy things you don't need).

My dc are to young to cook without major help so kelly's idea is great but won't work for my family. But I do have the same rule of if you do not like it you have to make your own meal (i help if something has to be cooked). But I have to say it needs to have protein, starch, veggie and or fruit. Otherwise she won't get a good meal. And she learns what those things are and what foods have it in them.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Angela&Boys

OT-resources for healthy lunch ideas

Unread post by Angela&Boys » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:30 pm

tiffany wrote:Do any of you have any resources you could recommend for fast, easy, healthy lunches? We have a big family, so lunch in the middle of our homeschooling day is a tough one. Dad works close to home. So most days, he either brings home lunch or we try to make something here. Mostly typical fare, PB&J, grilled cheese, tuna, you get the picture. Nothing wrong with that, but I would like to cut back on our dependence on fast and frozen, convenience foods. Summer would be a good time to try to work this in to our routine.
No resources per se, but we make the examples you've given and I'll just add:

chicken salad (adding celery, pineapple, almonds to taste)
celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins
sloppy joes
fruit shakes ( blended frozen strawberries, apple juice, and bananas)
cold shells or rotini pasta with tuna or chicken salad
Angela
wife to Greg
mama to...
Alex (20), Aaron (13), Ben (9), & Noah (3)
Exploration to 1850 ~ 2010/2011

Amy C.

Re: OT-resources for healthy lunch ideas

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 pm

We have the examples you have mentioned in your post.

Sometimes we have leftovers from the night before.

When I make chili a lot of times I will make extra. The next day I will throw some baked potatoes in the oven or microwave and have chili cheese baked potatoes. I am not sure if this would be good summer weather food, but it is good in the cooler weather.

Of course, a baked potato with any fixins would be good served with some fruit.

Another thing I have done a few times is when cooking roasted chicken for dinner, I will cook extra and use the extra for chicken salad and chicken noodle soup. I just save the deboned chicken and mix it up when I can. Sometimes it is during the day or other times I make them the night before. Cooked rotisserie chickens from the grocery store work well, too. Leftover soup of any kind would be good and quick to just heat up.

A few times we have just had cheese and crackers (or bread) with fruit and yogurt.

I will have to say that I rely on canned and frozen foods a lot of times, too.

Or we have sandwiches. Oh, by the way, someone not long ago mentioned how to make PBJ sandwiches healthier. Instead of using jelly, use fresh fruit, like sliced strawberries or grapes. Maybe that will make use all feel better about serving PBJ (or fruit) sandwiches for the umpteenth time. My youngest asks for PBJ sandwiches for breakfast! :-)

Amy C.

MercyMamma

Re: OT-resources for healthy lunch ideas

Unread post by MercyMamma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 pm

No new ideas really, but my kids are in love with "Muffin Tin Monday", basically serving lunch in a muffin tin. Sometimes I make it extra special, sometimes its just cheese and crackers in a muffin tin, lol, but they love it! There are some photos of MTMs on my blog - onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot.com. :)
Christy, mom to Lucy, Julia, and Esther
starting 1st in the fall

TriciaMR

Good breakfasts w/o eggs?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:50 pm

carissa wrote:I'm struggling to get my kids off to a good start in the mornings. My oldest is allergic to eggs, so our breakfasts tend to be cereal and milk, or yogurt and toast. Then the kids are "starving" and need multiple snacks to make it to lunch. :~ Do you have any breakfast favorites that really stick with your kids but don't contain eggs? Thanks!
Carissa :)
My oldest *was* allergic to eggs, but out grew it.

Pancakes: You can substitute 1TBSP of ground flaxseed and 3 TBSP water (I simmered them together in the microwave for about 45 seconds) for 1 egg, and make great pancakes with that.

Make sure they get protein: bacon, peanut butter, seeds, other nuts, left-over hamburger, grilled cheese sandwich... Whole wheat bread has more protein than white...

Oatmeal and Banana. My kids usually have cereal and a banana, and then a mid-morning snack of a carb of some kind.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

1974girl

Re: OT-Good breakfasts w/o eggs?

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I saw this on a Publix deli tray once, copied it, and my kids loved it. Take a small tortilla, spread on peanut butter, a banana, and drizzle honey. Roll it up!

I love microwave pancakes and waffles. My aunt used to make me fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I guess it if it ok for lunch, it could be for breakfast, too. I remember liking the way the peanut butter melted when hot.

I would love to do cereal but I have one allergic to dairy! (Just found that out 2 weeks ago after 10 years with her!) So I sympathize with the allergy!
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:21 pm

We have the dairy allergy too...

We use Rice milk. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much protein as compared to Soy. Many of the Kellogg's and General Mills cereals are dairy free. We make pancakes with the "original flavored enriched" Rice Dream. There are a few dairy-free margarines out there if you can get them. Nucoa is our favorite. Earth Balance is another one. Blue Bonnet light and Fliechman's Light used to be dairy free (our grocery store stopped carrying those, so I don't know if they still are). Look for the "Kosher" symbol on products - it will have a circle with a U in it, or a triangle-type design with a K. If it has a "D" after it, it *may* contain dairy, so read those labels carefully. Our local Vitamin Cottage carries an "ice cream substitute" called "Purely Decadent" - the "cookie dough" flavor is gluten and dairy free. But, some of the other flavors may have traces of dairy, but the cookie dough flavor doesn't. Oh, Hershey's Chocolate Syrup is dairy-free, but the only dairy free chocolate candy bars I have found have been at Whole Foods/Vitamin Cottage - and they're EXPENSIVE!

PM me if you need more Dairy Free ideas.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:35 pm

My dd outgrew the dairy allergy, but we all got so used to other milks that I still don't buy cow's milk unless we're having company. Almond milk is good and very healthy. Coconut milk is awesome in smoothies.

My dd drinks a lot of smoothies. For a morning protein blast that keeps her full, I blend a cup of "milk," a half-banana, a few frozen strawberries and blueberries, and a Tbs or so of protein powder in the magic bullet and she's good to go. I use Jay Robb's protein powder, it's all natural with no sugar.

Her snacks always have some protein, too -- cheese and crackers and grapes, or apple slices spread with peanut butter, etc.

Sausage patties: I mix a pound of ground turkey with 1/4 tsp of salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika, and sage and make "sausage patties" and almost always have some in the freezer for a quick fix. They make an excellent breakfast meat. I serve them with steamed veggies, even at breakfast, and everyone loves them.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:53 pm

We have oatmeal a lot.

... And bagels have lots of protein.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:40 pm

Two of my boys are dairy free. It takes getting used to but you'll get the hang of it. I understand what you're going through. For breakfast I would recommend any of these:

fruit smoothie with protein powder (keeps you full, surprisingly)
peanut butter on toast with sliced bananas and cinnamon sprinkled on top
Oatmeal with fruit
Cream of Wheat with toast
Bagel with cream cheese and jelly and fruit on the side

That's all that's coming to me right now. I hope that helps!

Marsha
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:39 am

Hi Carissa!
My dd was allergic to eggs up until this past August when she was tested again and we receive the joyful news that she had grown out of it! So I have about 3+ years of experience trying to get a decent breakfast out for the kids without egg. :~
We have always used the conversion 1 1/2 tbsp. water, 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, 1 tsp baking powder for every egg when baking. I would say 90 % of the time everything stays together. So here's my list...

1. Blueberry Muffins (well any kind of muffins really)

2. English Muffins with melted cheese, green peppers, sausage, bacon, or ham

3. Bacon Sandwiches on Toast

4. Oatmeal with raisins and bananas

5. Pancakes (we use bisquick- Dad makes them on the weekend and I stack and freeze the extras in a ziploc bag, that way in the mornings you can just pop them apart and heat them up in the microwave - they stay together nicely even without egg - it works with waffles too - sometimes)

6. Pop Tarts and nutrigrain bars - (on days where we need to be out the door early, sadly this is my kids favorite breakfast &) )

7.Sausage/Pancake Roll-ups -(in the freezer section, red bag, i believe it's either jimmy dean or bob evans that makes them they look like mini corn dogs - but it is turkey sausage wrapped in pancake with NO EGG!!!)

8. Fruit Salad & Yogurt- (in the summer we always have fresh fruit cut up and in the fridge so it's pretty easy to toss together in the morning- also makes for good snacks throughout the day)

9. Breakfast Cookies - (you can google recipes for all different kinds of those and use the egg conversion I mentioned before, we have a few favorites)

I'm sure I have plenty more if I went through my recipe box but these are just off the top of my head. An egg allergy is the worst when it comes to breakfast, isn't it? Feel free to PM me if you want some specific recipes, I would be more than happy to help out!
~kristin
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

carissa

Unread post by carissa » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks so much for these great ideas! The egg substitute ideas for recipes are great too. I haven't tried any of those before. I'm looking forward to mixing it up a bit with these new breakfasts over the next couple weeks to see if we can make it to lunch with only one snack. I was thinking, with the kids wanting snacks all morning, we might as well move school to the kitchen and set out a party platter in the center of the table, LOL!! :-) If anyone else has ideas for filling, egg-less breakfasts, please chime in!
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:26 am

You joke about your party platter but once I filled muffin tins with healthy stuff....granola, cheese cubes, grapes, etc. Then I put it in the fridge. They knew they could get out what was in the tins. It was like a mini-buffet for them. That isn't a bad idea! You could even take it to the school room!
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:07 pm

We only eat eggs once per week, if that. Here is our weekly breakfast menu:

Monday: Cereal. We like to buy the healthier stuff and add fruit. My kids don't make it through the morning well without a complex carb of some kind and preferably some type of protein. Kashi makes some awesome cereals with a lot of protein. Kashi Go-Lean Crisp is our favorite!!!! It's not cheap, but the fact that we only eat cereal once per week helps us here.
Tuesday: Homemade granola, blueberries/strawberries and yogurt
Wednesday: Oatmeal with blueberries and leftover granola on top...so so yummy!!
Thursday: Either bagels with cream cheese and fruit OR english muffins with canadian bacon & cheese (for my egg hater). Same thing with eggs for the rest of us. We alternate those two choices weekly.
Friday: pancakes or stuffed french toast or belgian waffles with some type of protein eggs, canadian bacon, yogurt, etc. We alternate the pancakes, french toast and belgian waffles.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm going to use these egg free alternatives myself!
I was going to mention the bacon sandwiches on toast. Yum!
Biscuit sandwiches too.
My boys would be SO appreciative of me if I made those on a weekday. :-)

Marsha
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:16 am

I saw someone else mention flax seed. I purchase this and wheat germ and mix those into our oatmeal and our granola. I also add these to our bread when I make homemade bread. The flax seed goes in our pizza dough as well. I've found that there are different ways to slip things in. ;) I don't have any cream of wheat right now, but I like to mix the flax in there as well. Also, 9-grain cereal is so good!!! I find it in the healthfood area of my grocery. It is like oatmeal but with more grains (obviously 8 more) :-) .

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Teresa in TX

O/T Easy Lunch Menu Ideas ??? - without eggs or milk

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 pm

jasntas wrote:Since there was a recent thread regarding breakfast ideas (w/o eggs) I thought I might ask if anyone would mind sharing their easy lunch ideas with or without eggs or milk. ;) (We use to have the milk allergies around here as well but my two finally outgrew them).

I currently have my dc helping to make lunch. One helps make lunch on Mondays and Wednesday. The other one on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I do the rest of the week/meals. They each choose what they will make in advance. We usually plan the meals up to 2 weeks at a time. I write them on a calendar and hang it on the frig. That way I can shop for the needed items and everyone knows at a glance what they will be making next.

My problem is that I am running out of ideas for easy, fun, nutritious meals that 10 and 7 yr olds can make. I mean, how many times can you have soup 'n grilled cheese or chicken salad sandwiches. Or my dd's fav. mac n cheese. (Blech). :~ I'm not the most creative cook either so that doesn't help.

This has been a very positive experience for both my dc. They will each complain about ‘cooking’ when the other one is ‘playing’ but they are each very proud of the finished product and much more willing to eat what they have made. They each also like bragging to grandma about what they made last.

Anyway, any (new to me) ideas would be greatly appreciated. TIA :-)

BTW, I thought I’d incorporate a few of the breakfast ideas into our lunch menu on occasion as well.
Tyson chicken patties...I have a few variations with these. I slice them up in strips and put them on wheat tortillas or wraps with shredded cheese, spinach, tomatoes, salad dressing. Sometimes I'll put some franks hot sauce on there and make them buffalo wraps (most of us like spice). My dc also like the wraps with chicken, raspberry preserves and spinach or chicken, spinach & mandarin oranges. There are a lot of variations. Sometimes I slice the chicken into a salad. I've also made honey mustard chicken biscuits. They LOVE those!! Not overly healthy but GOOD!!! ;) I sometimes just buy wheat buns and add veggies and make chicken sandwiches. Those chicken patties offer a lot of variety.

Veggie burgers. The spicy black bean ones are really good!!!

Both of the above I sometimes I make these with sweet potato fries or baked sweet potatoes with honey and cinnamon.

BLT sandwiches are always a favorite...especially if we have homemade bread with it. I'm not so great at getting that done these days though.

Fish sticks and tartar sauce. Fish sticks cut up and made into fish tacos.

Homemade bread made into pbjs, peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Those are all inexpensive and semi-healthy, especially when a fruit or veggie is added.

Homemade pizza. We do this every Tuesday. It is a little extra effort but mostly that is just involved in remembering to make the dough an hour ahead so it can rise. If you have a bread machine or mixer with a dough hook, you can whip up a batch of pizza dough quick!! We put olive oil, basil, tomatoes, spinach and cheese on it...yum!! Also jalapenos for my 12yo son and I.

I'll try to think of more. It is fun to offer variety. I am wanting to read this thread as it goes along and find some new ideas!!

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds

baileymom

Re: O/T Easy Lunch Menu Ideas ???

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 pm

I am seriously considering Large Family Logistic's Homeschool Lunch Menu:
http://largefamilylogistics.blogspot.co ... ocery.html

...I will also be watching this thread closely :)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

schoolmom2

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Check out my friend Heather's blog here: http://dontforgetyourlunch.blogspot.com. She is so creative and the ingredients are so simple and healthful. I have found that color (having lots of colors on the plate) makes a huge difference in what my kids will/won't eat, and her ideas of how to put it together with cute touches have given us a new lease on lunch! It's really quite simple and fast; don't let appearances fool you!

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 am

jasntas wrote:I mean, how many times can you have soup 'n grilled cheese or chicken salad sandwiches.
Ummmm.... Every day!

We do Peanut butter and honey sandwiches on homemade bread probably 5 lunches a week. Pretty much, it is our given lunch Mon-Sat, and we vary if there is extra something for leftovers or just for the change, which ends up being once a week. Even DH takes them pretty much every day.

Breakfast is either oatmeal or cheese toast every day that DH is not home. (He leaves for work pretty early.) When he is home, we still do oatmeal sometimes, but sometimes eggs or he makes pancakes or french toast.

We buy our oats in bulk bags and peanut butter in 15 lb pails. We do beans that way, also, and have some sort of beans at least 4-5 suppers a week.

I am not saying that variety is wrong, but I will say that this way is so much cheaper and much easier, too. (It is not mentioned above but most of the meals are served with some sort of fruit or vegetable.)
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks Julie. The link to kellybell's ideas were where I came up with the idea of having the dc participate in making lunch but I couldn't remember where I found it.

Thank you to everyone else for the ideas and links.

The 'don't forget your lunch' blog blew me away. It gave me some good ideas, though. But I am wondering how her boys are ever going to find a wife that will be able to live up to their mom's beautiful, creative lunches. I think my dc might actually eat their fruits and veggies if their plates looked like that. ;) I really like those partitioned little cups and dishes. I am nowhere near that creative when it comes to meals. But we can always dream. :)

More ideas are welcome. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.