Special Needs - Book ideas

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
mgardenh

Special Needs - Book ideas

Unread post by mgardenh » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Great book for those with kids with Autism

There is a fiction book called Rules by Cynthia Loyd. My wife got it at the Library. It is really a book written at the level of a teenager.

It is about having a sibling with Autism and the things they go through and how it feels (as sibling). Since you have a dd that is going to be a teenager soon, I thought if you wanted you could read it together. I really connected with this book and my own dd. I laughed, I cried, it moved me. Not a Christian book but a good story.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:22 am

Mike,
I'll have to check the autism/disabilities library that is part of the university. It's great having that unique library. Any resident from the state of Indiana is eligible to check out books from it (and they'll mail stuff to you). http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/cedir/

They list the book with the author's name as Cynthia Lord and voila! my local public library has it too. (tabbed browsing... hit the hold button....)
awesome!! ooh..... it's even on CD audio too. cool. Road Trip...

Postby cbollin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:17 pm
My oldest finished your book recommendation today. She started it last night and couldn't put it down. She really liked it. My turn next

-c

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Wow, your dd must read fast. I'm glad she liked it. It was help to have things put into words that I feel as a parent at times and I'm sure our youngest dd will feel when she is older.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

TriciaMR

OT:good books for girls (soon to be 13 yr old)

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 pm

classicalmom wrote:My daughter is needing to read wholesome books for girls. She does have autism (high functioning) and reads around 4th grade level We have cut off internet and iphone from her day to day basis due to her feeding off the negativity of songs and videos. She needs more positive things to focus on. Hubby and I decided she needs to be reading more but positive stories. Boyish books are fine but want to start her off with girlish books first. Oldest son gave her a book to read (ones about amish family....phonics program but they make reading books...Pathway Readers?)

These will have to be literature format or fictional format. We do not want her reading nonfiction books about girls yet as most of them "preach" stuff to girls that we do not believe (staying home instead of working so on type of things, not going to college is another example of something we do not believe either) unless you know of some that do not focus on those things. I do have the book called "girl talk". It is ok so far.

Believe it or not we are very conservative but not as conservative as Vision Forum family as an example.

We just want her to focus on positive stories. :)
Thanks!!
Holly
The "Pathway Readers" (Rainbow Resource has them) are "readers," but they are good, wholesome Mennonite stories. Some of the stories in the readers focus on girls, some boys, and some animals. Some of them are fiction, some are "real life." None of the Pathway readers we have used so far have implied that the girls shouldn't go to college or work, but the "mom" characters in the stories tend to be stay-at-home moms.

We use Abeka readers, too, and those are usually good, wholesome stories.

Have you considered Wisdom and the Millers. We enjoyed those. There are several "_________ and the Millers" books. A Hive of Busy Bees focuses on character. We enjoyed that one.

You'll probably want to pre-read my suggestions, as I don't always get the subtle things that they may be hinting at with regards to women's roles. (But right there with you about girls going to college if they want to, or working if necessary.)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Buttercup78

Re: OT:good books for girls (soon to be 13 yr old)

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

I would recommend anything from Keepers of the Faith!

http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/category/Books
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

niki

Unread post by niki » Mon May 21, 2012 8:17 am

Daughters of the Faith Series
by Wendy Lawton
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

classicalmom

Unread post by classicalmom » Mon May 21, 2012 8:55 am

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will have to find a way to get Keepers of Faith catalog. Fictional books can have mom's staying home. I just do not want the nonfiction books right now about women staying home or working. We do not believe that it is mandated for women to stay home. I am not a stay at home mom. I work away from home because I have to financially. (Also for my husband to stay home in the evening and have his time with his children ;) ) So we do not have any problems if a fictional book has mom staying home. ;)

(Side note: We do firmly believe it is best for mom's to stay home with their kids but it is not always doable due to finances or situations. I know some homeschooling families where mom works full time and dad is home homeschooling and keeping house. Both of us work and both are involved in homeschooling our children. I have seen lots of nonfiction books geared toward girls in the homeschooling market creating the guilt of wanting to work or going to work vs. staying home. Kwim?)

Anyway we love Pathway Readers. I just couldn't remember the name of it. :)

Holly

homespun

Unread post by homespun » Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 am

Hello

I wanted to add that my dd absolutely loves Christian Light's Reading to Learn Series. It is also from a Mennonite publisher. They have one for each grade level and have lots of short missionary stories, some poems, and all good morals. Dd is always saying to me, "Oh, youve got to read this one!"
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 am

niki wrote:Daughters of the Faith Series
by Wendy Lawton
I love this series. Note that MFW uses the first two in the series:
Almost Home
Courage to Run

Another sweet series that MFW uses, but there are more to enjoy, is the Patricia St. John books. CTG uses these 3 (so not sure if you'll want to save the experience):
The Tanglewoods’ Secret
Star of Light
Treasures of the Snow.

It's hard to tell what she's ready for with her needs, so some might need to be read aloud, but just books that are fun with girls in them:
Little House series
Grandma's Attic series
Boxcar Children series (only #1-19 by original author)
Betsy-Tacy-Tib series (before they become teens)
Sarah, Plain & Tall series
Little Women series (I liked Little Men better as a kid :) )
Anne of Green Gables series
books by Elizabeth Yates
Narnia series
Heidi
Railway Children
Understood Betsy
The Little Princess
The Secret Garden

One thing I notice with concrete learners like autistic kids is that you need to be sure she can make it past the "drama" and to the "conclusion" -- so she sees what comes "out of" the crisis, and she doesn't just settle into accepting the crisis. That's why reading aloud might be helpful, or at least talking it through afterwards.

Another thing you can do is one of those "girlhood" types of mom-and-daughter things, like:
Beautiful Girlhood
Bright Lights

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 am

There is a series of books for girls which are historical fiction (but set around real issues and events). They are written in the style of letters between two girls. Ah, I looked around on CBD and found them... The Liberty Letters series.

Here is the description on the CBD website:
  • * American history---and God's redemptive purposes---unfolds in letters between preteen pen pals! Whether escaping slavery through the Underground Railroad or surviving the attack on Pearl Harbor, these young women are defined by their courage, ingenuity, and faith. Youngsters will see how God uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways! Ages 9 to 12. Approx. 225 pages each, softcovers from Zonderkidz.
I read one of these that came in a "grab bag" box of random books.... it was a nice book.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Mon May 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Holly, I think you've got great suggestions, just wanted to say I don't think you'll "need" a catalog for Keepers, just check their site, I think their selection is all online now, if I am not mistaken.

I also wanted to add (unless I missed them) any books from Christian Light Publications are really good, see here, under the storybooks tab. If you like using catalogs CLP will send you one free. Even the school reader series by their education section, called reading to learn series, are lovely, gentle, character building stories.

Happy looking for good books,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Sisters in Time books (historical fiction; found at Mardel or other Christian bookstores).
Moody series (excellent!! Summer with the Moodys, etc.)
Hero Biographies (Christian) - missionary biographies full of adventure - ywam publishing
Stories from Grandma's Attic series
Missionary Stories with the Millers
HEIDI - amazingly written. If you haven't read this, you'll cry and laugh all the way through! Truly inspirational writing. *Don't use the abridged; read the original version. :-)

Enjoy your summer!
Melissa
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

classicalmom

Unread post by classicalmom » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:53 am

Thank you guys!! Great reading selections. We will be ordering soon.

:)

Holly