#18 - Zebra

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#18 - Zebra

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:13 pm

Lesson #18 Zebra

Additional ideas might be located on other boards:
ECC / Kenya: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=157

Liesl A.

Zebra stripes craft

Unread post by Liesl A. » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:54 am

Here is a link to a craft to do zebra stripes. It has an outline of a zebra to print, and then it suggests gluing stripes on with black paper. My girls really enjoyed it - the oldest got to work on cutting skills, etc. God bless - Liesl

http://www.thebestkidsbooksite.com/craf ... opicID=416

Unread post by Guest » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:33 am

We have just finished reading a hilarious, cute book called, "Zella, Zack and Zodiac", by Bill Peet. It is about a zebra who takes in a forgotten baby ostrich. Don't worry, "Zodiac" is only a zebra name that starts with "Z", nothing more! Zebras are on every page of this cute story!

Brenda

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:35 pm

We loved both of these books:

Gorgeous! by Caroline Castle
If Anything Ever Goes Wrong at The Zoo by Mary Jean Hendrick
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Winkie

Cookies

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:46 pm

ZEBRA BUTTER COOKIES:

1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup baking cocoa

In a large bowl, cream butter & sugars. Beat in egg & vanilla. Combine flour & salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Add cocoa to one half; mix well. Roll each half between waxed paper into a 9" square. Cut both squares into three 3" strips. Cut the strips in half lengthwise to make six 4 1/2" x 3" rectangles.

Place one cream colored rectangle on a large piece of plastic wrap. Top with a chocolate rectangle. Repeat layers 5 times. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours. Unwrap and cut stack widthwise into eighteen 1/4" slices.

Cut each slice with a horse-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min or till edges are lightly golden. Let stand 2 min and transfer to cooling racks.
mandkhowell wrote:Thank you for posting this recipe!! It made the week! I did add a glaze of 2T butter, 1 Cup Powdered Sugar, & 1/2tsp. Vanilla. I drizzled the glaze over the cookies and they were such a hit! I'll have to post a pic!
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

kenziekylanmom

Cute coloring page

Unread post by kenziekylanmom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:26 am

Here's a link to a cute zebra that you can print and color
www.janbrett.com/pdf/hhl_framed_zebra_coloring.pdf
Jennifer
mommy to
Makenzie 8yrs-Korea
Kylan 6yrs-Korea

Rox

Unread post by Rox » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:08 pm

A CAMOUFLAGE ACTIVITY

I wrapped the boys in extra patterned material left over from making curtains. I then stood them in front of the finished hanging curtains in the same material. I took their picture showing them how they were camouflaged against the same background.
Very cute as all that really stands out is their faces.

I plan to print this in back and white and paste it on a zebra striped background to display with our biblical concept for zebra.
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!

mycobabe

Zebra craft and Lapbook idea

Unread post by mycobabe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 am

I found a cute zebra craft that goes along with day 2 lesson where you paint the stripes on the zebra.

http://www.daniellesplace.com/html/africanAnimals.html

Also, here is a link for a free Zebra lapbook using the Zoobook magazine on Zebras which you can purchase or checkout at the library.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/zebra_lapbook.php

Happy teaching!

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:55 am

I have appreciated some of the links above for fun crafts and coloring pages! Here are Zebra or zoo books that we read for this unit study.

Non fiction: Zebras by Kevin Holmes
Zebras by Anthony Fredericks

Fiction:
Racing Stripes (EZ Reader and movie)
Curious George Visits the Zoo by Margret and HA Rey
Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire
Never, Ever Shout in a Zoo by Karma Wilson
Z is for Zookeeper by Marie and Roland Smith
First Words at the Zoo (Curious George)
Zink the Zebra by Kelly Weil

Happy reading!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Re: #18 - Zebra

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 am

If you are doing ECC and K together....

For the activity in the Zebra unit with the safari mural, consider getting out the book A Trip Around the World (used in ECC) and using page 38 for pictures of Africa animals. Then, we used the boundary map for Africa from World Geography book. It was easy to do with the stuff we had on hand.

also, if you have older kids, get them involved in playing the games in this unit in K. It made for a great break this morning from our usual stuff and let us have some fun.

this unit and autism kid

no real changes from what was in the manual. Many activities were really good for cross over with language development on describing animals, and sounds, and guessing, and everything. This has been a fun unit teaching her.

-crystal

FreshKid

Unread post by FreshKid » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:10 pm

We did the Zebra unit a few weeks ago, but I'm just getting around to posting before we take the books back. We read:

If Anything Ever Goes Wrong at the Zoo by Mary Jean Hendrick
Zebra by Caroline Arnold
Feeding Time at the Zoo

Beverly

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:27 pm

We found a book at the library called The Case of the Missing Zebra Stripes that dd loved! It's a zoo math book with several different "lessons" in it, but we only did the lesson called "The Case of the Missing Zebra Stripes." It's a mystery story with lots of references to time in it, so we got out our clock manipulative and dd showed me the times we were reading about. She had lots of fun following the story and paying attention to the clues and even cracked the case before Professor Geusser did!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:16 pm

While preparing for the Zebra unit in K I discovered that the Complete Book of Animals had a stripe-less zebra on page 141. The CBofA is a 2nd - 3rd grade supplement for ECC but I purchased it for K and have been very pleased with it. I think Crystal had suggested that it might be a good book for K and she was right. It has almost every animal used in the K units and even has the suggested activity in the MFW TM of adding your own stripes to a zebra. We are ahead on our K studies so I thought I would pass the info along in case anyone else was interested.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Melissa

Unread post by Melissa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 pm

I found another printable Zebra activity for painting or gluing stripes on. http://www.carolinearnoldbooks.com/imag ... utline.jpg