Combining K or 1st vs. just join older sibling (author reply

Marie

Combining K or 1st vs. just join older sibling (author reply

Unread post by Marie » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi all,
I am planning on doing ECC with my second grader next year and also have a 1st grader. I really don't want to run 2 separate programs and was wondering if anyone was doing ECC with a 1st grader. He is reading well and doing 1st grade math now, so I thought how great it would be to combine the other subjects, which is what we do now.

Thanks for any insights.
Kerri
Author: Marie Hazell
Date: 3/10/2004

ECC is not designed to be a first grader's primary curriculum. We recommend using MFW First Grade to meet the needs of a first grader. Our first grade is not overly time consuming and many families teach both ECC and First Grade in the same year. Even if your child is already reading, it may be beneficial to consider MFW First Grade for a number of reasons.

When deciding on a program, you need to look at many factors. Even though a 1st grader is reading well, their handwriting and beginning composition skills probably need more attention. (MFW First Grade targets these skills.) They may have missed some of the phonics that will help them as they encounter more difficult words both in reading and later in spelling. (MFW First Grade covers all necessary phonics, a great help for spelling. In fact, some moms adapt our phonics lessons, using the word lists as informal spelling tests for advanced readers.) Science, Bible concepts, and character development are included in MFW First Grade and specifically designed to reach the hearts and minds of first graders.

IF your first grader has acquired these above skills then we suggest that you use the Adventures in My Father's World curriculum with both your first and second grader (could be done with a 3rd grader as well). There are so many great hands-on projects in the program. God's world is fascinating! Enjoy the adventure!

SandKsmama

ECC for 1st grade?

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 pm

fiveboys wrote:Would I be able to make ECC simple enough for 1st grade?
~Sue, mom to
Nathan; 9
Will; 8
Caleb, Alex, Luke; 6 (triplets)
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:12 am
You *could*, and but then you'd still have to add in phonics instruction/writing/reading practice (or whatever kind of language arts you chose) and math.

I'm almost done with MFW 1st grade right now with my son, and we have just LOVED it. It does not take that long - I would at least consider doing it along with ECC next year. Especially since your littler ones are boys, I would not push them to do all of ECC. Like Crystal said, there are certainly parts of it that they will want to join in on that will be fun for you all to do together, but the 1st grade program will be much more age appropriate.

Now, let me address the time factor, as I'm sure it's worrying you - I've done two programs every year so far (and this year I'm really doing 3 as I have one in K and one in 1st). My first year, I did ECC and K. Second year, CTG and 1st. This year is our 3rd, and we're doing RTR, 1st, and K. The *wonderful* marvelous MFW folks (thanks, Marie and David!) have worked really hard to make every program very efficient - they have 6 children themselves, they *know* how busy we are! I am NOT at all organized, I don't have lots of time to spend preparing, and MFW has not been hard for me to do. If we get started on time (that's a big IF LOL), then we are always done by lunch.

I second the suggestion of calling the office - they are so helpful and wonderful at giving advice about placement!
hth! and Welcome!!!!
Amanda

Myhandsfull

Unread post by Myhandsfull » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:47 pm

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:49 pm

I just wanted to post and say that last year, I taught K and 1st together. This year, I'm teaching 1st and 2nd together, and some very basic preschool stuff. Next year, I'll do ECC and K. :) However, it's not like teaching "two different curricula." At least, it isn't the way I do it. We use Adventures as our base. My 1st grader does 1st grade math and the reading/bible notebook part of the MFW1st curriculum. I already had that, b/c I used it last year. We use Adventures for our science and history basis. My boys like doing Bible together. So, since we did 1st grade Bible last year, they are both doing Adventures Bible this year. My 1st grader does some basic copywork of the verse or a sentence or two out of our read aloud for his writing. My 2nd grader is actually not writing enough, but that's my fault, not the program's.

So, while it's teaching two curricula, it's not like teaching two of everything. It's teaching two math and LA, but the other stuff can be combined as much as you like.

We ended up using 1st a base last year for the most part. However, the K stuff was so much fun (and so easy) that most of that got done as well. It's really not as hard as it sounds!! And I'm not an uber-organized person, so it will work even better for you!! And as a mom of three boys myself, this is the perfect boy curriculum!!

Dana
Mommy of three boys

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:42 pm

One suggestion I have is to start the programs separately. Start your 1st graders in MFW1st for a week or two so you all get the flow of that program before beginning with ECC work (or vice versa).

Jenn in NC

Just ADV turned out to be a mistake

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:34 am

Ages 8 & 6 - I decided to go with just ADV, and it turned out to be a mistake

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 am

I agree that probably the best thing you could do right now would be to call the office. That will help not only with placement issues but also encouragement that you can do this!

I was in the same position a few years ago -- an 8yo who was very ready for the advanced program and a 6yo who was on the fence. I decided to go with just ADV, and it turned out to be a mistake. My 6yo was just not ready to do the language arts work in ADV. He was reading but needed time and space to develop into a fluent reader, and he needed a lot more work with writing.

I am just telling you a little bit of my story since my kids were the same ages as yours are now (I had a 3yo and a 1yo then too). Your 6yo may be different than mine was and be fully ready to jump into ADV right now! I just wanted to mention it because I really thought my 6yo was ready, but he wasn't... and I wished that I hadn't pushed him ahead too early.

Now I am going through the 1st grade program with my current 6.5yo and he is doing so well. And loves the work!

Just some thoughts... I am sure you will find what works for each of your children. If you call the office you will have to tell us what you find out!

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 am

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 am

I think getting to a convention to speak with someone and get your hands on the material may help you see what you need to fit each of your children's needs. We do have moms on this board who have done K,1, and another program at the same time. You do not do everything in K and 1st and would definitely have them join in where they are interested and able.

Just a note here about K and 1st. They are primarily Language Arts and Math driven. This is always done at the level of each child so really if your kids are at K and 1st levels you will need them to fit your kids' needs. K and 1st are very different in the amount of reading, math, and writing instruction that each gives. One of the strengths of MFW 1 you will find is the writing or beginning composition skills it develops.

These will just be some things for you to look at and think about when you take a look at them and have a chance to speak with MFW either at a convention or by phone. Like I said you will not try to do all of the hands-on activities from these programs since you will have an older child as well.

Regarding your 4 year old, it may be easier for you to start with the other 2 programs and then add K after he turns 5 in November. This is another thing that I know lots of moms have done and it has help to not start 3 programs at one time.

Hope this helps give you some more to look at and think about.
Lucy

Lucy

Making choices for 5 and 8 yr old girls

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:59 am

jamers5591 wrote:Next school year, I will have a 3rd grader and a k/1st grader. My 5 year old is finishing up the MFW K program. I am struggling with what to do for her as well as what would work best for all of us. Here are the choices I have thought of at this time:

1: Both girls work out of Adventures program and be prepared to do ECC next year with both girls.

2. 8 year old does full Adventures program and 5 year old does 1st grade, again letting us be ready for ECC program next year.

3. 8 year old does some other program while 5 year old does full 1st grade.

4. Lose my mind while I try to figure this all out. :)
Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:55 pm
I want you to know that I totally see where you are coming from in wanting to get both girls together.

But remember that even getting them together for history, science, art and music you will always have them doing their own math and language arts. Your k child needs to be at his level in learning to read and write and your 3rd grader needs to be at his level English as well. MFW 1 is primarily lang. arts and math. The bible history is integrated into and is a part of the language arts program and this program is about 1 1/2- 2 hours a day. If by the end of K your child can read the little short vowel stories then he will be ready for MFW 1. Keep practicing this with little readers from the library too and help him to work on fluency. The first part of 1 starts off with a review of k and then moves into the other needed phonics to read and decode new words. So this is where you will need to go next with your 5 year old.

The 8 year old will go into Adventures and you will do all the science, bible, art, and music from this with both children which means you do not need the deluxe items from the MFW1 package. If there are other activities that your first grader shows interest in then let her participate but just at her level. She will enjoy the read alouds and library books form Adventures as well.

The following year they can both go into ECC together and of course using the age appropriate math and lang. arts for there ages and abilities.

I hope this helps you as you figure it all out. It is very doable and many are doing MFW1 and Adventures together in this way.

Blessings,
Lucy

txquiltmommy

Unread post by txquiltmommy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:00 am

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:05 pm

I have to put in my plug for Adventures. I just love this program. I have just started with a soon to be third grader and a very young first grader. If you want to start American history with your oldest you can't go wrong with this program. The reading lists in the back of the TM give excellent suggestions, and I do not think you would have any problem at all keeping her challenged. I will let someone experienced with combining Adventures and MFW1 speak to that possibility, but I will say that Adventures is a nice, reasonable work load that does not overwhelm the Mommy. :) I can't say enough good things about this gentle, sweet, interesting, fun, awesome study of American history!

Hope that isn't too hard of a sell. Don't mean to sound pushy, but I just love to share the enthusiasm I have for this program. :)

Brooke

Unread post by Guest » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:01 am

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:23 pm
I am currently using Adventures with my 1st and 3rd grade daughters.

With my 1st grader we did the phonics workbook portion of the 1st grade curriculum. We pretty much just did a page a day and finished this week. We also use the Bible reader for reading. (I REALLY like the Bible reader.)

I am planning to use ECC next year for both. I can see again doing the bare bones with her and the fuller amount with the older. I will be also be doing MFWK with daughter #3 and I will have three younger kids not yet officially in school. I don't have my whole course of action planned out for the next ten years as do some people. We just take it a year at a time. Each kid is so different.

All this said, I think Adventures would be a good program for you, with the phonics lessons from the 1st grade curriculum. We really do like the Adventures program.

Kim

Sue in MN

Making choices for 5 and 8 yr old girls

Unread post by Sue in MN » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:02 am

jamers5591 wrote:
2. 8 year old does full Adventures program and 5 year old does 1st grade, again letting us be ready for ECC program next year.
Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:29 am

I like option #2. I think this would be best for both your dc. Neither one of these programs are as full blown as any of the higher plans (ECC, CTG, etc.) This gives you plenty of time to do them both justice and remain sane.

As far as the science goes the books in 1st grade and Adventures are both from the same Usborne series. Even though I have not done MFW 1st or Adventures I own these books. They are wonderful additions to any homeschool library.

According to my school year there is still 1/4 of the year left for your youngest to pick up the reading of short vowel words. Then you have all summer with library books plus MFW 1st reviews the phonics in K. By the time your dc gets to the new phonics next year I am sure she will be ready. If not you can just go through it slowly and she will still get alot from listening in on big sis.

Even if your youngest doesn't sit in on all of Adventures she will get a taste of American history and you will have the books for her to read over later. My youngest at 10 has never formally studied American history but she has read tons of books that deal with it on her own. We have the Childhood of Famous American series plus American Girls books etc. I guess we did spend some time there when we studied ECC.

I would love to have used MFW K, 1st and Adventures but we didn't discover MFW until my youngest was ECC age.

Unread post by Guest » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:03 am

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 am
I haven't done Adventures so I don't speak from experience with that particular program...but I am using 1st and ECC this year. I have found that my 1st grader loves to sit in on all of our geography times. I don't have specific expectations for him but do give him a coloring page or map to trace (he loves this!) during our reading time. He has picked up so much and I will be taking all 3 into CtG next year.

Having said that, I think having your older in Adven. and younger in 1st (I wouldn't skip this with your younger...it is such a great program!) You can choose the science activities to do and your 6 yo can sit in on Adventures when she can.

Have a great year with whichever option you choose!
Molly

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:03 am

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:01 pm

I am doing Adventures and pre-school and loving it! Hazell's helped me with our plan. They know their stuff, you know your children. It might be best to call or email them.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:04 am

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi All,

Adventures was created for a couple of reasons and one of those is so that you can delay beginning the cycle so that two children close in age can start it together. So having a 6 and 8 year old is one of those scenarios that is great for the oldest child to use Adventures. CTG is a very intense year compared to Adventures or ECC. The MFW Years become increasingly filled with a little more information each year (oldest child is getting older) so it is best to begin the oldest child at the most appropriate level available. It is also highly suggested to do ECC (year1) before the other cycle years.

Also just to reiterate from my post above you should not try to do 2 sciences, music, art, or bible. It is usually suggested to do all of those subjects together with Adventures. Let the first grader enjoy the parts of history in Adventures that she likes such as read alouds and making the state pages and she will get a bit of bible history through her language arts.

Hope this is helpful along with the other post.
Lucy

LSH in MS

Is 1st more than math and phonics?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:06 am

qfbrenda wrote:I'm still thinking about next year. I think I've figured out what to do with my older ones, but I'm wondering...

My 3rd son will turn 6 in August of 2007. If I already have phonics and math curriculum that I plan to use for him, and let him listen in on what the older ones are doing (probably ECC), is there a reason to do MFW 1st grade with him? Is there enough in 1st grade beyond math and phonics to make it worth it?
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:14 pm
I did my own phonics and math with my first grader and had him participate with us in ECC. That worked fine but looking back I wish I had done MFW 1st (basic package). I would have done the Bible, math and phonics portion and let him do science in ECC. I am doing that this year with Eric.

The ECC picture books on the library list are also perfect for younger children. So you could combine all the children on book basket and read alouds from ECC.

I feel like MFW 1st is more systematic and thorough than what I used. I like the way the LA skills are integrated into the curriculum and used in a fun way in making the Bible notebook. I also like the Biblical foundation for young ones.

This year I am doing math and phonics in K for my 5 yo, math, phonics and bible for my 7 yo, and RTR for the rest. THey all do RTR science. I don't do the K or 1st science (we did K activities last year).

So I think you could do the basics of 1st with ECC if you want to.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:07 am

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:28 pm

I used MFW1 with my son last year and of course, as you would expect to hear, we loved it. In the beginning, I was terrified that, this being my first-born, he wouldn't learn to read with a program that didn't include lots of worksheets & drilling. He did in fact learn to read, and we are having a very successful 2nd grade year in Adventures.

But here's where I'd like to implore you to consider doing MFW1: The exposure to the Bible & the character training that come from learning the Proverbs each week were PRICELESS! I have referenced those things from last year as much, if not more than the phonics & reading rules. Now, I know your child will glean MUCH from listening in on the older children's school, but I really think the Hazells designed the first two years to be just for the little ones because they need the foundation. And what a foundation it is!!!

I chose not to do MFWK with my son and always regretted it. Now that I am doing it with my daughter, I really regret it. She's getting sooo much that he didn't. I don't want either of them to miss a thing, specifically on the spiritual end.

Just my opinion. :0)
WLIC,
Paige in NC

Happy2BMotherof3

Unread post by Happy2BMotherof3 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:08 am

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm

We're not very far into MFWfirst but I did want to say that we are doing something else for phonics.....however we are doing the MFW1 math.

I'm still glad she's doing the first though because I know the next level will be way in over her head and there's so much good stuff (Bible as well as other) that she's learning.

So I wouldn't say it's solely just a phonics curriculum........I've used the dictation sections and (sometimes she'll spell out the word if she can instead of the first letter) and use bits of the phonics part that I know she needs. So far the Jewish calendar that she has made has been an awesome way for her to learn about her calendar. I struggled with trying to teach her this before. There's also science and art included in it (art is deluxe).

cbollin

K - Can my 4 year old do most things with older siblings?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:08 am

K - Can my 4 year old do most things with older siblings?
Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 am
I would like to encourage you also to contact the MFW offices directly and also get their advice and insights. But since we have this board....

Each child is going to need his own separate language arts and math -- no matter what.

Can your 4 y.o just do the phonics in K now, and sit in on the rest with older siblings? Yeah sure ok :) At some point you may enjoy doing the K activities with her (maybe next year when she is 5 and listening in on ECC). Try to make sure that she is also able to learn handwriting along the way.

MFW doesn't say that you have to wait until they are 5 years old until they learn to read. I've seen their little chart on the pre-reading stage and it says some children are ready at age 4. (I guess I should add in: that chart also says some kids aren't ready until 7 years old: so if you have a child who isn't ready at 4, that's ok too.)

What I think I've heard them say is that each child should be given the chance to be taught as if they were the first born child. With our first born, we give them their own programs and take the time with them. So, don't just forget about the younger children and shove them in the older child's program before they are ready for a full length school day or just because they can read early. That's one of the keys to it in my personal opinion. It's the case that the child isn't just evaluated and place based solely on reading ability.

--crystal

caod

Unread post by caod » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:09 am

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007

We did both programs this year with a 6 and 7 year old. I think the 1st is worth the effort. You can make it very simple and concentrate only on the phonics and reading. But the program progresses in such a way that it is working on her writing (as in narration and composition) skills in a very nice painless way. The stories are bible stories and fun to read because they are not the silly, goofy stories that usually accompany beginning reading programs. I also found that for my youngest (who was doing 1st) it was nice to have something that was hers and only hers. She felt very big and important.

She did all of the Adv. with her sister and that worked fine for her. She made a notebook and everything but then her sister had other things (LA and so on) that she had to do. This was something that was nice for my youngest to feel like she owned and progressed through.
RB wrote:What is the time commitment of doing 1st/Adv together?
I would say about 45 minutes for the 2 programs, meaning the history portion not the science and math and LA arts for the 2nd grader. You would also add art in there if you wanted. That would be extra.
RB wrote:Does the LA approach in MFW 1st work for most kids?
I think that there is enough variation in 1st that most kids will go well with it. My dd does NOT like reading word lists at first and the program does have a short list of words the kids have to read and mark the vowels each day. It is focused on the phonogram they are learning for the day.

David remarked on one of his posts concerning MFW 1 that a child needed to be sound blending comfortably for 9 months before they were ready to do the first grade program. My experience with my dd is that that is the case. If your dd is reading at the level you described then she should do well with the program. I think it would work best for one that is at her level.
RB wrote:Will she be bored in the beginning? She's already reading at about a Green Eggs and Ham/Amelia Bedelia level.
The beginning section is review but within about 2 weeks it picks up pretty significantly. The bordeom won't last long. Feel free to skip what you think she knows well. You will eventually reach the portion where the notebooking starts. That involves you reading a printed bible story, she narrates it back to you, summarizes it into one or two sentences, writes it in her bible notebook and then draws a picture depicting the story. She will also have her bible reader in which she will have a story for her to read.
RB wrote:How is the notebooking/writing different in each program?
I am not sure exactly what you mean. The notebooking in ADV. you will be creating a notebook about the process of how the US came to be. They will write brief portions on such people as Leif Erikson, and the other famous people throughout the US history. Many pages will be provide for them to color and then you will be provided with a sheet on each state which will be included in the notebook. Both of my dd did a notebook for Adv.

I don't know if I answered your questions well. In my opinion it is a program worth doing. I see it as an overall program, not just phonics or just writing or just comprehension. It nicely blends all the aspects of language and reading into one enjoyable package. There will be review in some areas for your dd but I would question whether there would be too much review. It would be a good beginning spelling program, reading program, encouraging comprehension, expression in reading, writing skills.

Connie

RB

Unread post by RB » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:10 am

Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Connie,
Thanks for answering my questions...what a help! I looked around this board a bit today and it looks like many have or will be combining Adv and 1st. It also sounds like we could finish before lunch :)
I've decided to order both when I place my order today. I think it sounds like 1st would be great for my younger dd. I will take time to look it over carefully when it arrives, and if it doesn't look right for her I can send it back within the 30 days. But...I'm thinking she will be thrilled with it. She ADORES bible stories and is sick of reading the same readers that her sister used last year. And the writing/narration sounds fantastic.
Thanks again for being so helpful!

Follow-Up - Posted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:02 am

I wanted to chime in that since then, I received our box with Adventures and 1st. I am SO impressed with everything...finding MFW truly is an answer to prayer. I knew we would do Adventures when I ordered, but was on the fence about 1st, so ordered it knowing I could return it. Not a chance! Much of phonics will be a review for my dd6, but it will lay a solid LA foundation and take her to being a completely independant reader. I'm also thrilled with the 1st math program and plan to use it now, even though that wasn't originally my intent. Anyway, I am so glad I did not pass by this program just b/c my 1st grader will be doing Adv with my 2nd grader. Blessings!

Julie in MN

1st grade MFW or blend with older siblings

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:46 pm

pjssully wrote: Last week we did our week all together 6.5 twins, 9yr old and 11 yr old. I did buy the supplement books but i am beginning to wonder if they would enjoy MFW 1st grade more? I have some of the 1st grade materials but not the Teacher's. It really was nice to have everyone working together last week, though. It went well but i am wondering Anyways, has anyone done BOTH for their 6-7year olds or would that be overkill?
pam
Hi Pam,
I am so in awe of you folks who teach many!

Here are some experiences with 1st and an older program:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2713

Similar choices to what you are facing:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7771

This one is specific to EX1850:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=5152

Next year, you can share YOUR wisdom on that topic!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:15 pm

I have 7 yr old twins and while they can keep with their brother in Exp to 1850 I wouldn't have missed MFW1st for anything. I did MFW1 with them while my oldest was in CtoG and it was totally doable.

I personally think the Bible in MFW1 is not to be missed, it sets up such great character training with all the Proverbs memory verses. I also think it is a great reading program. Mine could read before they started MFWK and MFW1 but I did noth as review for foundational phonics and it was great. I added in other readers but the Bible Reader was their main phonics reader.

If you are going the supplemental in EXP you could stop doing that and just do 1st. I think again, that MFW1st is a foundational year.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

What criteria should I use to decide?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:21 pm

D'Ann wrote:I am about to begin my second year of homeschooling and would like to use MFW for my two children, ages 9.5 and 7. My 7yo son is a beginning, somewhat reluctant reader who is good in math (so far).

I have read extensively on these boards about using or skipping the 1st grade program offered by MFW. One day I am sure I will teach them together, and the next day I think I should use the 1st grade program for him and let him just "listen in" on the ECC that I do for my daughter.

What criteria should I use to decide?
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:42 am
D'Ann,

When I had a 4th and 1st grader (and an autistic toddler running around), I was able to use the 1st grade program alongside the program my 4th grader was using. And my 1st grader was able to join in on fun stuff with older sister. We didn't add tons of things to MFW, so it was doable to use both programs. We didn't add more academics. MFW is pre trimmed for real life. yeah!!!

If your son still needs to learn and practice phonics, and still needs to learn basic composition skills, then you could definitely use MFW 1st grade to meet that need and to get his own Bible memory verses and some other basics with Bible. He might be ready age wise and stage wise to use Singapore math and just use the math games and math literature in 1st grade for games and reinforcement.

And he would still be able to join in many things with older sister who is using ECC. So in some ways you could use 1st grade program for his language arts (reading, writing) and even for Bible, character (and maybe math too). Alternatively, if you have a phonics program that is working and isn’t going to take tons of time each day for you or your student, you can use whatever language arts and math you want to :) Some of it depends where his reading level and fluency is.

You asked about criteria. Hmm… well, I’d probably call the mfw office and try to talk in person to get feedback about skill levels and all of that.
But since we have this forum.

Just how beginning, somewhat reluctant reader is he?

Can he easily read this sample from the 1st grade Bible reader (about from day 111 into the year)
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/biblereader_p115.pdf

Is he able to easily retell that story to you after reading it? Can he write a summary of the story such as this sample shows
http://www.mfwbooks.com/1st_biblenotebook.htm
(mostly on his own with minimal input from teacher?)

You can pace the 1st grade program a little differently as needed for an older first grader and still have plenty of phonics and language arts for this year.

So. How can he do with the sample reader? tough, easy, struggled, he knew some of it..... How's the comprehension of what he is reading?

Is he able to read (and some 7 y.o boys aren't ready yet, that's ok) and just doesn't like to? Or does he really need more time to do phonics again to be able to read?

-crystal

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi D'Ann,
I just wanted to echo this: last year was our first year hsing full time ( we had done summer school for a couple of years prior) and MFW made it very doable for me to teach ECC and the first program together. My 1st grader participated in a lot of activities and colored flags, etc... But he did his program and it didn't require a lot of time. It was fun, he learned a ton and really loved it. The bible notebook wasn't his favorite because it required writing but he did it. He loved everything else especially his bible reader and of course math.

Just wanted to assure you a newbie was able to do two programs together and it didn't feel "heavy" at all.

cbollin

Combining a 1st and 3rd grader

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 14, 2011 11:28 am

Marcee wrote:I would really like to combine my 1st and 3rd grader to simplify. I see Adventures technically starts with 2nd grade. My son (1st grade) is still sounding out words and learning to read. My 3rd grader reads very well. Is there anyway to combine them both in Adventures and just order what my 1st grader would need for reading? Thanks:)
Yes. you just do phonics/lang art and math from 1st and invited the 1st grader to join in all fun activities from ADV in Bible/Science and History. The intro section of the ADV suggests something like that. You'd still get the majority of things in the 1st grade basics. The science books couldn't hurt to have on hand.

gratitude

Re: Combining a 1st and 3rd grader

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I just re-read Marie comments on MFW 1 & ADV together, and found the answer to my question that might help Marcee.

Q: Does the first grader do the Bible notebook or ADV notebook? I was thinking it was the Bible notebook, and then mostly listening to the readings in ADV and participating in the Bible & science projects. Is this correct?

A: The 1st grader does the Bible, reading, & math of the first grade program. This would include the Bible notebook, Bible reader, blue notebook, student sheets, & math.
The 1st grader does NOT do any writing or copying for ADV for Bible or History. Thus, they would skip the ADV notebook & state sheets (?). They would do the science & Bible & History projects and listen to the readings.

O.K. I think I have it straight in my head now. I hope this helps Marcee. So yes, there is a way to combine a 1st & 3rd with ADV!