Books - Encyclopedias & Info Books for MFW-K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
Ariasarias

Books - Encyclopedias & Info Books for MFW-K

Unread post by Ariasarias » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:55 pm

NHMom wrote:This is probably a really dumb question, but what do you use for MFWK if you don't have a set of encyclopedias? Is there a list of alternative books you can use? I would hate to have to go search for books each week.
Gayle
There are some suggestions other than the encyclopedia for some of the topics.

Honestly, you can pick any book from the library on the topic to introduce your dc to the topic for the week. I typically got a few that we could read through and some that my dc could just look through.

Sometimes I just used the internet. I have AOL and they have a link to World Book. I'm not sure if it is the same that you can buy, but it was sufficient to introduce the topic if we couldn't get to the library.

On the boards here (Kindergarten Unit Ideas) there are some suggestions for some books that worked well for some families.
I hope this helps :).
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:55 am

I typically used just a non fiction picutre book or two from the library. I also have an Usborne book that is called something like "First Book of General Knowledge" --- it had lots of related materials.

I saw recently on this board that someone was able to purchase a World Book on CD and use that.

Jill S

Unread post by Jill S » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Maybe we just have lots of books (imagine that ;-}), but I found that I already had books on most of the K subjects. For instance, I used a DK book on the Earth when we studied rocks or jewels. We have quite a few mammal books, so I looked through those at the start of the year to see which ones had sections on the mammals we would study. We had a book or two on sea creatures. You get the idea! I also visited a Half Price bookstore at the start of the year with the TM in hand, and picked up a few books on subjects like butterflies, since we didn't already have those.

Frankly, I figured that a kindergartener didn't need the definitive work on kangaroos to know that "I am safe in God." My dd loved her year of K, though, and learned a lot.
Mom to Alex, 12, Russia--RtR
Luke, 12--RtR
Song, 9, China--RtR
Vera, 8, Russia, Down Syndrome
Anna, 7--MFW1
Emma, 6, Down Syndrome
Ella, 3, Colombia, Down Syndrome

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:53 pm

We didn't use Encyclopedias at all this year for K. I reserved a lot of books online through my library - if you look at the archives about K, there are some GREAT suggestions on there. We just read through some of those for each topic.

hth!
Amanda
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:23 pm

DK's Animal Encyclopedia worked well for most of the units. Otherwise I used World Book via the internet.

Posted Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 pm by Amy in NC
We have the DK Animal Encyclopedia. It has all the K animals (except quail specifically, but has lots of birds in general) plus it has sections on animal habitats, homes, etc. It has been helpful for us in every year of MFW. We used to look up moles in 1st grade and all the habitats in ECC, and camels in CTG. It has evolution in it, so that is irritating. I tend to read from it and the kids enjoy the beatiful pictures.

It definitely does the job of giving a bit of info on Day 1 of each K lesson. Just enough to think about, but not so much that you lose their attention. The only lessons that it doesn't cover are apple, dinosaur, jewel, leaf, moon, rock, sun, vegetable, water, and yellow.

Well I HTH. There are so many good choices, you can go wrong.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

kfrench

Unread post by kfrench » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:36 am

We used the DK Animal Encyclopedia and also checked 2-3 books about the animal out from the library. We usually go every 3 weeks and just get what we need for 3 weeks. We didn't always find the books listed in the teacher's guide but found books that worked fine.
kfrench

midnightowl

Unread post by midnightowl » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:38 am

Don't forget about the Internet! I found lots of pictures and general information pages to use when I didn't have the energy to stop by the library to seek out a book.
Lisa

angelsoup

Free encyclopedias

Unread post by angelsoup » Mon May 21, 2007 6:01 pm

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:33 am
I wanted a set of encylopedias and couldn't afford them. I use dallasfreecycyle and dfwrecycle (on yahoo groups). Just go to yahoo groups and try your city.

I just put out a request looking for a set. I was given a lovely set when Ike was president if you can believe it. I know thay have outdated material, but I just wanted to be able to teach them how to use them. If we need updated material I jump on the internet or take them to the local library. Just an idea, you never know what treasures you find when people are cleaning out thier homes.

Michelle in WA

Usborne encyclopedias

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:06 am
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents. We didn't have an encyclopedia when we started K. I bought the Usborne Internet Linked Children's Encyclopedia. It is one book and covers most of the K topics at just enough to introduce the topic. Then there are links to games and other info sites online that my kids have really enjoyed.

We also check out a ton of books on topic from the library, both the children's section and the adult section. The MFWK board here has lots of extra book suggestions that we have really enjoyed.

Posted Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 pm by Michelle in WA

A good addition to the Usborne Children's Encyclopedia is Usborne's Pocket Nature.

Cyndi (AZ)

Explain "Information Books"

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Brandi wrote:I just wanted to confirm my thoughts here. Are the books listed in the K booklist (pg. 118 of TM) under "Information books" just good books for general info about the topic, like instead of the encyclopedia or in addition to an encyclopedia type book?

Can anyone offer some thoughts about having these "Information Books" on hand for a few dollars vs. you know, looking for info online or your library etc? . . . Did anyone find these particular "Info Books" helpful?

Thanks in advance your help!
Brandi
Yes, the information books are in addition to/instead of the encyclopedia articles. I found them very useful at explaining the topic at an easy-reader level. If you can pick them up cheap, I'd recommend getting them. But you can always just check them out at the library, though - that's what we did and it worked out fine.

There's other really good books recommended for each unit on the Kindergarten Ideas thread on this board, too.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Cyndi (AZ)

MFW K & Encyclopedias

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:18 am

Chrystal in TX wrote:OK... I cannot imagine sitting down with my 5yo and reading to him from an encyclopedia. Can some seasonsed Moms tell me how you go about introducing your topic for the week? I know...once again...I'm thinking too hard but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around things :)
Chrystal H
My dd really enjoyed the encyclopedia in MFWK. Maybe you could give it a try and see what your ds thinks? Look at it together, explain the pictures, read some highlights, etc. We definitely didn't read the entire article, but we did always use the encyclopedia. Then we would follow up with a fun book or two related to the topic.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 am

When I was a kid, I loved to look through grandma's set of encyclopedias. Fun stuff to do. I'd flip through it, she or my mom would read some of the paragraphs then tell me stuff.

But, with that said, I found it easier with my youngest daughter this year to use simple text, lots of pictures, small library books on the topic. It is easier that way to engage her in the book and get some information in her brain. We're enjoying what our library has and have started to look for a series of books where Allan Fowler is the author. series is Rookie Read About Science. Maybe those kinds of books would work from time to time, or to use similar kinds of books.

When I did MFW K a few years ago with middle daughter, we had a children's encyclopedia for most of the K theme lessons. It was a 2 page spread on a topic with younger text and pictures. Very readable. But she wasn't ready for older text either.

-crystal

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:31 am

I do use the encyclopedias (a 1989 set of my parents they gave me).If it's too long, I skim.My kids always pick something up from it.We use a lot of picture books from the library too.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:32 am

We are another family who looks through the encyclopedia. We look at the pictures and I summarize portions of text. For information on the topics, I have found that we also enjoy the "Let's Read and Find Out" books, the Rookie books Crystal mentioned or some of our Usborne resources. We often spend a time singing our A-B-C songs while finding the right encyclopedia.

My dd5 gets a charge out of getting the big encyclopedia for school. She thinks she is doing some of the "real" work her older siblings do.

Try it out with your son! He might like it!
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

kugoi

Unread post by kugoi » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 am

We don't use an encyclopedia. In fact, we very rarely have any books either about the subject unless they're on the bookself. I usually just give ds a brief thought or two about the subject and move on. Even with pics his eyes glaze over quickly when we get to the science portion. I'm not worried though, plent of time to learn that stuff later.
Mom of 7, ages 14, 10, 8, 6, 4, 1 and new baby.
Have used K, 1st, Adv, ECC, and CtoG

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:11 pm

I am a lover of children's literature, and I have a wonderful system of libraries near me, so I went to the library often to find children's picture books, both nonfiction and fiction, on our topic each week. I did not use the encyclopedia, as I preferred to use children's lit. instead. There are a lot of really great books out there that you can use to help your child become interested in and learn about the topics in K.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:32 pm

We use appropriate books from the library on the subject and look at the pictures and sometimes read some of the text. I also have the Usborne Internet-linked Children's Encyclopedia, which I have found to cover a variety of the topics. It has bright, neat pictures and minimal facts.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:12 pm

We also use books from the children's picture book section at the library. I do a search in the library's catalogue for the subject and then I narrow that to just books from the juvenile picture book section. I try to pick books with very simple text and lots of pictures. I don't have access to an encyclopedia except on-line - I have too many kids though to gather around the computer without it being chaotic. If you just have one in K, I think some nice interactive encyclopedia software would work nicely.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

705emily

Unread post by 705emily » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 am

I used a set of Childcraft Encyclopedias--found very cheap. Written to children--these were a great resource and the kids loved them. We also used a lot of smaller books on the topic from the library.

Blessings
Irmi Gaut
MFW K, MFW 1, Adventures, ECC this year!

'And my God shall supply ALL your needs according to his riches in Glory!'

ab.grace

Unread post by ab.grace » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 am

my dd loves the encyclopedia, in fact when my other dd was just 2 her favorite books were two Pooh encyclopedias. We also get childrens books on the topic. It has become such a rich curriculum, I am amazed by how much dd picks up! She thinks that she knows everything! LOL

My Very First Encylopedia with Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Animals
My Very First Encylopedia with Winnie the Pooh and Friends: Nature

dhudson

Animal encyclopedias...

Unread post by dhudson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 pm

hollybygolly wrote:I'm searching for a kindergarten level animal encyclopedia for next year that contains several of the kinder. topics in it. The ones I'm finding include evolutionary themes (i.e. alligators have been living on earth for over 6.5 million years). Does anyone know of a DK/Kingfisher/Usborns animal book WITHOUT this content? I'd love to have one on hand for my younger two! Thank you so much~Holly
Try the Answers in Genesis Zoo Guide. It's not as informative as other encyclopedias but it does have a tom of animals in it and gives basic animal facts and it all comes from a Creation point of view. I use these a ton (they have a Museum Guide too) when we go to zoos and museum as well as studying animals to compare the evolution theory to our own beliefs.

We like the Aquarium Guide as well. I've used mine for Sunday School classes, school and for field trips. They are not as in depth but for a 5 year I would imagine there is more than enough info.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

hollybygolly

Need help choosing encyclopedia

Unread post by hollybygolly » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 pm

nagada wrote:Trying to decide which encyclopedia to go with - Encarta, Britannica, or ???
DS1 is 5 so I want something that will be at his level - not overloaded with facts.
I'm sure there is stuff for free online but I don't have the time to look.
We are preparing to start K next month.

Any opinions, help, advice?
I had this same problem with K, wanting a good encyclopedia that was evolution free and at my daughters' level. I ended up finding (on amazon for very cheap!) a Winnie The Pooh My Very First Encyclopedia: Nature and My Very First Encyclopedia: Animals. Most of the kinder topics are in there, each topic is about 2-3 pages of information and wonderful pictures. Hope that helps a bit!
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

beaglemamma2008

Re: Need help choosing encyclopedia

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi! I stumbled across a couple of sets of books that have been VERY helpful for K!

One is The Young Children's Encyclopedia, which is a 16-volume set by Britannica. I picked them up used on ebay, and even though the copyright date is 1987, they have been an excellent resource! Many of the K topics are covered in the encyclopedia, and they are written at just the right level for a 5-year-old student to understand. The articles do contain facts, but they're not "dry." They read very much like you're just kicking back having a conversation with your kiddo!

The other set of books we found are the "Just Ask" books, which were apparently part of a Weekly Reader series in the mid 80's. We have 36 of them; I don't know how many there are all together. (They include titles such as Why Do Leaves Change Color, What is a Butterfly, What is the Moon, What Makes Day and Night, What is Gravity, What Makes It Float, etc.) Anyway, these books also cover a lot of our topics, and they are set up kind of like a comic book where the characters have speech bubbles with words in them, but they are loaded with really good information that is explained in such a way that K students "get it." We keep both sets of books out on a bookshelf, and yesterday I actually caught my daughter looking through one of the Just Ask books on her own! Both sets of books do make mention of evolution, but this doesn't really bother us because we just take the opportunity to remind our daughter that (1) we believe the Bible teaches us that the world and everything in it was made in six literal days, and (2) we always need to be on the lookout and compare what we read to what God says.

Hope this helps! Good luck in finding what you're looking for!

Jennifer
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:42 am

We like real encyclopedias at our house, although each family is different. Here is a thread with lots of opinions :)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1031
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 pm

When we need an encylopedia, I use the online Encarta that comes free with our MSN premium that is part of our Verizon internet service. But, we don't often use one. In MFWK we rarely used one, I used library books instead.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877