EFRU - Premade card set?

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie in MN

EFRU - Premade card set?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 am

elw322 wrote:I read that when you do English from the roots up that we will making some type of vocabulary cards. Before knowing any details as to how the program would be used, I was going to purchase the cards that are already pre made.

Would it be pointless to purchase these since the student will be making some anyways?? Would there be any other purpose to purchasing these? Are the pre-made cards have the exact same info your dc are writing down on their notebooks?

Thanks in advance :)
-Evita
Hi Evita,
We never used the cards, because

* my ds needed to work with the words in several ways in order to retain them, and

* my older dd who used it in high school liked making the cards!

However, I have read of folks using EFRU in all different ways, including making a notebook or using the premade cards. Just be sure you work with the roots in several different ways each week. (The teacher manual gives you several ideas.)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm not sure what is included on the pre-made cards, but...my children enjoyed making the cards. The TM gives a great outline on making and using the cards. They learned the roots and seemed to be retaining what we got through in CtG.
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:23 pm

I have 2 doing EFTRU at the same time. We do our words on notebook paper instead of cards (just personal preference). Yes, it's the same as what is in the book. I had mine laminated (we can laminate for .25/ft. at Mardel).

- The cards give me an extra copy to work with so they can both be copying at the same time. One of them uses the book to copy out of and the other one uses the cards.

- We use the premade cards for review/games.

This has worked really well for us. We are finishing up RTR so this is our 2nd year to do it this way.

Jennifer in Indiana

English from the Roots Up pre-made cards

Unread post by Jennifer in Indiana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 am

I have skimmed Eng. from the Roots Up and know enough to know that there are 4x6 cards involved that the student writes on. I know that there are pre-made cards available also. Has anyone used these? Are they worth it? I will have a 9 y/o and a 7 y/o. I would also be interested to know how those of you who used CtG handled using EFTRU with a younger child. Skip it? Tweak it? ...

Thanks.
Jennifer
ds (1999), dd (2002), dd (2006)
used MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR

my3boys

Re: English from the Roots Up pre-made cards

Unread post by my3boys » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Jennifer in Indiana wrote:I have skimmed Eng. from the Roots Up and know enough to know that there are 4x6 cards involved that the student writes on. I know that there are pre-made cards available also. Has anyone used these? Are they worth it? I will have a 9 y/o and a 7 y/o.
I bought the pre-made cards because I know sometimes I skip stuff on the fly if it is not done and ready - I certainly don't think they are necessary though.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:39 pm

I would try to make the cards as instructed in the CTG/RTR manuals.

I wouldn't skip it with the kids. Benefits to having them do it: writing practice, language arts, a bit more retention if they have to do some of the work. If they just look at pre made cards, well.... it's just not the same benefits overall to the day.

2nd grader just writes the root word on one side of the card, writes the definition of that root word on the other side, that's good. Then it says to copy some of the other words on the page. They don't have to write but 1 word at 2nd grade and they probably learn it. There are notes in the TM for younger kids.

Time is allotted in the day to do the activity.

The one thing that I might "tweak" for youngest kids: amount of words, especially amount to look up in dictionary. And then help them do the sentence definitions. We just started back to school this week. Doing CTG. And I was helping my 10 y.o understand how to form sentences that define the words. I figure we'll model those together for a few weeks to let her learn how to do it and then start to expect her to do it on her own. We're all sluggish right now with coming off of 2.5 months of no formal school stuff.

just my back to school opinion on it :)

-crystal

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Great tips Crystal! I was wondering... How many of the words would *you* have an average 4th grader copy on the back? I was thinking since she was in 4th grade, doing 4 words, but maybe that would be too much. I could start out with 4 and do less if it really causes problems, but I was looking for some advice.

I also read through Lainie's CtG blog yesterday, and noticed she pre-printed the front of her 4x6 cards for her kids. I could see that really helping my dd, and maybe just spelling the root with letter tiles for practice.

(Sorry to hi-jack the thread!)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:36 pm

I agree that by having them make the cards they retain more.

I did like Lainie and printed the word on the front, but had dd make the green 'border' with a green marker tracing around a smaller index card. By doing this all at once, I wasn't tempted to skip it.

I don't remember what the TM says about how many words to use on the back, but we started out with 3. Dd's handwriting isn't very neat or small so about half way through she only did 2 to make it nicer looking.

-dena
Loving learning with MFW!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:44 pm

hi Trish,

We did our card this week as "copywork" and 'handwriting".

My 10 y.o is not advanced. This week she did 3 words on the lined side of the index card and shortened definitions. We read through the other words. I don't know a good number. I don't know if 1 is "enough" for 2nd grader. It was a random choice. I'm not that smart.

I figure it will vary from week to week and root word to root word. We'll see how the year goes and my guess is that by the end of the year she'll do more. Right now we're learning together and figuring it out as we go what seems good enough. Can you tell I wasn't really ready to start school this week?

the other question: how much will my 8th grader have to do? my oldest is in 8th grade? Did I get older over night? :~

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 pm

TriciaMR wrote:I also read through Lainie's CtG blog yesterday, and noticed she pre-printed the front of her 4x6 cards for her kids. I could see that really helping my dd, and maybe just spelling the root with letter tiles for practice.
I think that's a suggestion from the EFRU book. This is way back in my memory banks, but I think when my older dd did the cards, it suggested that the classroom teacher print the fronts so all of them were legible & all of them were of equal quality, and no child felt badly. My dd is very neat, so I remember making the decision that she could do the front herself. My ds did the front himself as well, although he is not in the "very neat" category ;)

An alternative to green/red edging (which is not required in MFW anyways) is to use green or reddish index cards. That's what my ds did.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 pm

Well, of course, the obvious thing is to ask my dd. She said, she'd rather I print the fronts, and she was willing to copy 3 or 4 words to the back. Her printing is not really that neat as she has been doing cursive since 1st. This will be good practice for her.

-Trsih
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:07 am

My ears were burning so I thought I'd pipe in-- hee hee.

I have to say... printing out the cards with the fronts really worked for us and we never skipped Greek (until the last two weeks when they double-up on words!) We only did one a week.

As I am thinking about Latin for the RtR, I am planning on doing the fronts again this year. The kids (even the 2nd grader) retained the info well and made it fun, educational but not too burdensome. The little one knew where the stack of cards were kept and was excited each week to pass them out and get the boxes out. I read that someone used those little index card binders and I think we'll do that this year instead. Those boxes take up too much room.

Here is the link on how I did the cards should anyone decide to do it that way and yes, it was the suggestion from the EFTRU book.
http://www.mishmashmaggie.com/2008/07/m ... cards.html
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:30 am

Lainie,

I printed mine up last night, and they look nice. (Photoshop Elements comes in handy!) I only made one set, as I figured my 5 year olds wouldn't do it this year. The other thing I was thinking about was making pictures to go with each word - helping those visual learners. Perhaps getting two sided blank ones and printing a picture on one side and the word on the other. Just another idea.

(BTW, Lainie, thanks for your blog. It encouraged me not to feel so overwhelmed doing CtG with my 9yo dd and then K with my boys.)

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Lainie

Unread post by Lainie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:51 am

Trish you are very welcome and I drew a picture on the white board along with the definition and words. The pictures do help!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

Jennifer in Indiana

Unread post by Jennifer in Indiana » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks for all the (always) great insight, ladies. You sure have helped!
Jennifer
ds (1999), dd (2002), dd (2006)
used MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR