Back-to-School - Supporting one another at the start-of-year

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
cbollin

Back-to-School - Supporting one another at the start-of-year

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:40 am

momof3nKS wrote:I'm up with a summer cold this early morning and was reading posts when I came across something kellybell said regarding CTG: "When I first got the TM I was intimidated and overwhelmed since it seemed like a lot more than ECC."

I am just about to start ECC, and "I" feel intimidated and overwhelmed about the ECC TM since it seems like a LOT more than Adventures! I just about had to laugh...okay chuckle. So, I have been praying about it and am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with it. The more I become familiar with it, the better I will be. Plus, once I get started and get a feel of it, I should be fine. I guess my other intimidation is doing ECC and 1st. Again, once I find that groove, it should all be fine.

Cathy
I'm laughing over here. I just got the teacher's manual for EX1850 yesterday and have been thinking the same thing. eeek?! can I really do this? Then I remembered, I have felt this way at the beginning of every school year.

--crystal

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:29 am

Sounds like we all go through this shock each summer.

I can do all [homeschool] things through Christ who strengthens me!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

momof3nKS

Unread post by momof3nKS » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:51 am

I was thinking about Proverbs when I wrote my post earlier. It is SO true!
Cathy
mom to dd 9, ds 7, and dd 5
CTG for 2007-08 school year
have used: K, 1st, Adv, ECC

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:59 am

We also need to recognize that during moments (do I mean weeks?) of being intimidated or lacking confidence that these are the times that the devil likes to whisper to us, "you aren't able." or "you can't do this," or "the school down the street can do better." Let's not listen to THAT whispering but instead turn to our friends (local or here online) to encourage each other.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Sheila in OK

Re: Intimidation...

Unread post by Sheila in OK » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 am

Cathy,
I am right there with you! I thought the same thing when I looked through ECC--"wow, are we really ready for this?" And I will be starting a child in K too so I am nervous about how that will all work out.

Its encouraging to me to know that others have felt this way too at the beginning of a new school year and persevered through it.

We are planning on starting up with ECC and K in a couple of weeks so we'll see! :)

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:52 pm

I have felt the same each year and this year I will be teaching Adventures and K and have a toddler. I have so much to do between now and the 27th and really uncertain of how I will do.

Since so many are feeling this way, I thought I would share an email my sister sent me this morning. I am sure many of you have read it before, some parts anyways. But it was very encouraging to read it again today. If God has called us to homeschool, he will equip us to do the task (But we need to remember to talk to him about it also!!)

The next time you feel like GOD can't use you, just remember...
Noah was a drunk
Abraham was too old
Isaac was a daydreamer
Jacob was a liar
Leah was ugly
Joseph was abused
Moses had a stuttering problem
Gideon was afraid
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
Rahab was a prostitute
Jeremiah and Timothy were too young
David had an affair and was a murderer
Elijah was suicidal
Isaiah preached naked
Jonah ran from God
Naomi was a widow
Job went bankrupt
Peter denied Christ
The Disciples fell asleep while praying
Martha worried about everything
Mary Magdalene was...
The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
Zaccheus was too small
Paul was too religious
Timothy had an ulcer..AND
Lazarus was dead!

Now! No more excuses!
God can use you to your full potential.
Besides you aren't the message, you are just the messenger.

In the Circle of God's love, God's waiting to use your full potential.

1. God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.
2. Dear God, I have a problem, it's Me.
3. Growing old is inevitable ... growing UP is optional.
4. There is no key to happiness. The door is always open.
5. Silence is often misinterpreted but never misquoted.
6. Do the math .. count your blessings.
7. Faith is the ability to not panic.
8. Laugh every day, it's like inner jogging.
9. If you worry, you didn't pray . If you pray, don't worry.
10. As a child of God, prayer is kind of like calling home everyday.
11. Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.
12. The most important things in your house are the people.
13 When we get tangled up in our problems, be still. God wants us to be still so He can untangle the knot.
14. A grudge is a heavy thing to carry.
15 He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Have a great day!!! The SON is shining and he can certainly use you!
Jennifer

Jacqueline

Unread post by Jacqueline » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Jennifer - thanks for the list of Christian heroes and their weaknesses. That does put things in perspective, doesn't it? I am always encouraged when I realize every one of us is just a real mom, struggling with the same feelings of inadequacy at the start of every year...and in the middle...and again at the end!

Kim Schroter

Unread post by Kim Schroter » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:52 pm

This will make you laugh! I'm sitting here reading all the posts on this board and right next to me is my package from MFW! It came in the mail this morning and I have not opened it yet! Every year that I have ordered, I can't wait for it to come and I tear it open to look through everything. Well, I'm having a bit of intimidation from the rectangular cardboard box alone and I haven't even laid eyes on the TM yet!

This is my first year of doing more than one curriculum...
Oldest in Adventures
one in MFWK
one who just started crawling on Sunday! I need to install the gate!....and vacuum!

thanks for making me feel better,
Kim
Married to John 12 years
Mother to Hannah 9 , Summer 7, Ruth 3 and Charlie 4 months

Jacqueline

Unread post by Jacqueline » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 pm

one who just started crawling on Sunday! I need to install the gate!....and vacuum!
We're supposed to vacuum when they start crawling????

Kim, go ahead - tear open that box and at least look at everything but the TM! I'm sure you'll get excited and have to take a peek in the TM after you've gone through everything else. ;-)

mom2-3

too funny!!!

Unread post by mom2-3 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:03 pm

I just posted about feeling overwhelmed about the book basket! I think we should all go stand in front of a mirror and do a school cheer! C'mon ________ (fill in your name) u can do it just snap to it!!!

Of course we all know its not by our strength!! May God bless each one of you ladies on this amazing journey you are about to take on this school year.

Even though some of you are "seasoned" veterans I pray that God opens your eyes to wonder of teaching. ....That the training you have all committed to would reap great rewards this year and for years to come.

And for the newbies.....Hold on to the one that lead you to this lifestyle choice....If he brought you to it, He will bring you thru it....And boy when you get thru to the other side(end of a school year) (because you will get thru). You will be amazed at what you and your children will have learned!

C'mon on ladies we can do it!!!
Mom2 Chandler,Camden and Cinclaire

cbollin

Re: too funny!!!

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:19 pm

mom2-3 wrote: C'mon on ladies we can do it!!!
This one line inspired me a bit.

To the tune of Can we Fix it! (better known as the Bob the Builder theme song. )

My Father’s World users
Can we homeschool?
My Father’s World users –
YES WE CAN!

Newbies and vets – here’s a welcome to you
Start the school year as good as new.
Here on the board we have much fun
Working together, we’ll get the job done.

My Father’s World users
Can we homeschool?
YES WE CAN

Time to get teaching. Planning’s done for you
With hands on projects to teach the Good News!
Enjoy your school year, with its ups and downs
We’ll pray for each other – both smiles and frowns.

My Father’s World users
Can we homeschool?
YES WE CAN

Encouraging and posting, homeschooling is fun
Working together we’ll get the job done

Can we teach it? Yeah
Can we do it? Yeah
Can we homeschool? Yes we can!!!

We'd better get some work done!

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 pm

I love the prayers and the cheerleading squad! These posts many times bring a smile to my face and peace in my heart since I am also one of the newbies that was feeling intimidated. It's encouraging to know there are so many families out there that love their children AND the Lord so much to be obedient to His calling to homeschool.
Kim ~ Wife of Mike; Mother of Matthew (21) and Tyler (12) Currently using RTR <><

mom2-3

too too cute!

Unread post by mom2-3 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:48 pm

I think I 'll print the Bob the Builder song and put it in my school room.....
Mom2 Chandler,Camden and Cinclaire

DEP from MO

Unread post by DEP from MO » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:51 pm

cbollin--I love the Bob the Builder cheer!

The vacuuming comments are hilarious! Reminds me to keep a good sense of humor through this all (and sure reduces my stress level to read these)!

Thanks to all for providing such great information and a little humor here and there.

momof3nKS

Unread post by momof3nKS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 am

If anything, it's nice to read I am not alone. That is support right there.

The Bible also says that I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me...so I know I can do it! Yes, I can! :o)
Cathy
mom to dd 9, ds 7, and dd 5
CTG for 2007-08 school year
have used: K, 1st, Adv, ECC

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Thank you for the laughs the cheers and most of all, the encouragement! I too have felt "under attack" for the last few days as others around me are getting ready to send their kids to school and we are beginning our adventure of homeschooling with MFWK. But it's great to hear so many others - veterans and newbies like me - that deal with the same nervousness or concerns at the beginning of the school year. I'm copying the song to print out later! Thanks to you all for helping me to not feel alone.

Sue in MN

Unread post by Sue in MN » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:54 pm

I'll let you in on a little secret. Even those of us who have homeschooled for 20+ years feel intimidated and overwhelmed at times. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us but without him we can do no good thing. Rest in the Lord and allow him to direct your paths. You already have a curriculum that I believe was forged in prayer so now just allow him to work through you to accomplish his own good purpose. It is not suppose to look easy because then we would rely on our own strength.

professormommy

JenniferF

Unread post by professormommy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:35 am

Thanks so very much, Jennifer, for posting this! I printed it out to reread as often as I need--but I think I need to make it a huge wall-hanging so I can ALWAYS see it.

I am SOOOO intimidated this year. I am officially a veteran hser (12) years and two graduated, but a total newbie to MFW. I will be using ECC with two of them, MFWK with another and 1st with another. And we mustn't forget the baby. Really not at peace with it yet. I will have the learning curve of a new curriculum and method, and so many in different places. I know the reasons I was led to this curriculum, but I am still apprehensive about getting it all done and then getting things done for living. I have never been good at "splitting" myself or my time. Even in college, I would much rather have taken 3 5-hour courses than 5 3-hour courses.

As for the vaccuuming, I do the main areas we use all the time as often as possible, but I pay my graduated daughter to vaccuum the whole house weekly in one fell swoop. Thinking about getting her to come over and do other things too if she can find the time. I know, that's cheating! =D

Glad to know others are intimidated too.

Judy, Mommy to the energetic eight

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:00 am

Welcome Professormommy! Glad to have you here. I agree with you about the college courses. Sounds like we might think the same kind of way.

And hey- having your daughter coming to do vacuuming and other chores isn't cheating! I would LOVE to be able to find someone to come help out with daily stuff or playing with the toddler, etc.

Jennifer
Jennifer

RachelT

Encouragement - From our kids!

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 pm

I was recently in an outlet mall and I picked up a coupon flyer that had a woman relaxing on the front cover and it said something like:

AHHHHH.... School is almost back again so you can start to have some time alone for yourself.
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 pm

OK, I know I already posted, but I found this in my local newspaper the same evening. There was a real ad stating, "Ya-hoo school back in Session! Ya-hoo bring a friend after you drop off your kids and relax at the Cortland Diner Tuesday from 8-10am Free Coffee and Donuts, full breakfast menu available." Ouch! Where are my free coffee and donuts in my teacher's lounge? This is a tiny little diner that is just down the road from an elementary school.

But, when my daughter (4.5 yro) was asked what her favorite part of school was (I thought she would say her new princess coloring book) she said "all of it" and then she said, "no, Mommy, my favorite part of homeschool is that I get to be with YOU!" Yay! That beats coffee and donuts, I can go get my own!!

Praying for you all, too!
Rachel

RachelT

An apple a day...

Unread post by RachelT » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:44 am

My ds has never really liked school. I try to do fun things and he still complains and I told him that there is no complaining allowed this year!! But we are still working on that.

Anyway, my dd is completely different. She was disappointed last week when we decided to wait one more day because my dh was home from work the morning that the other neighborhood kids went back to their schools and we were needing to do some yardwork. The next day she was thrilled to get her 1st grade books on the first day of school! She had a special outfit picked out to wear and we always take photos in front of the front door and she was so excited, but her brother was making faces and trying to be difficult. (Finally we got a nice photo.)

A couple of days later she wrote on our white board "I love Mrs. ..." (our last name was there). Then, yesterday she wanted to "pack" her lunch in her insulated lunch bag that she got from the library summer reading program and she surprised me with a shiny red apple on my desk when we began school!!

But the funny thing is that my son was the one saying, I am never going to another school, I am always going to my homeschool! So, I think he does appreciate some things about it, now. There are many other real reasons why we homeschool, but is so much more fun when the children enjoy homeschooling, too!

:) Hope you have a great year!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Crystallea

unbelieveable start

Unread post by Crystallea » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:36 am

We have loved the beginning of ECC. I am actually hearing from my kiddos "I love school this year". Granted it's only been 3 days but it has been easier than I could imagine. This is our first year using MFW and was hoping it would live up to the incredible reports you ladies give and it seems to.
Crystal
Crystal
Wife to Randy, mom to Gavin 27, Ryan 24, Dawson 11 Bailey James 11, Brianna 10, Melissa 9, Jack & Sam 6, Micah 5
Blessed to have adopted youngest 6.

LSH in MS

Re: unbelieveable start

Unread post by LSH in MS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:03 pm

We are having a great start with 1850 to modern and my son transitioning to MFW recs for 7th grade. This start has been so much better than last year. !850 to modern doesn't seem nearly as overwhelming as EX1850 but maybe that is because my kids are older. I can see a definate increase in maturity in my oldest 2. It is very encouraging!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

ManyXsBlessed

Unread post by ManyXsBlessed » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:58 pm

We've had a wonderful start, too. Don't you just love that?? We are thrilled. We just finished week 4 in Ex-1850 today. My kids are loving it and learning a lot.
Erin
Mom to 3 boys (12, 10, and 7) and a baby girl
MFW EX-1850, Winter Promise LA, Apologia Gen, Teaching Textbooks, and A Beka

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I hear you.... sometimes I read stuff on this board (and even stuff I write) and think "yeah. sure. right. "

then, there's years like this where even in the midst of moving and getting settled in (or trying to, I should say), that we're getting a lot done in school from just opening and going down the grid (or down the page in first grade manual). Now granted, my oldest is 8th grade and much more independent. But we're getting lots done. not as much as everything on the grid each day.

But even in the book Pyramids this week there was this picture of electricity pylons and pyramids. We had to drive to do more paperwork (associated with new house) and we looked up and saw the pylons near our house! wow! we ended up with an unexpected field trip from a simple reading.

yeah. this stuff can be doable in the real world. I don't have time to do lesson planning. Thank you Marie!

-crystal (the other one)