Weeks 3-4 United States

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Toni@homezcool4us

Reading

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Right now we're reading Cameron Townsend. My kids are a captive audience (lunch time) and I use LOTS of drama, facial expression and voice animation. So far they're enjoying learning about Cam. I also make them very curious about the plot ("Hmmm, Robby went north and Cam went south in a strange new place. I wonder what Robby has had to face.")

We just finished reading Wisdom and the Millers last week. My children LOVED it (ages 8, 5½ and 4½). I'm on a waiting list to receive Missionaries and the Millers.

lyntley

Nature walk

Unread post by lyntley » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:48 pm

We had a neat time on our nature walk today. We went to a nearby pond and sat on a rock to watch the Canada geese and trees, colored leaves etc. I read from " What a Wonderful World" and how Louie A. must have been on a nature walk when he wrote the words. First He saw the object, then the detail of that object then he wrote how it made him feel. So we took this pattern and wrote our own Song/poem with a step further in identifying and appreciating what a "wonderful world" God made by creating these things for us to enjoy. They came out really beautiful. 7YO dictated to me and I wrote. As 9 and 7 were drawing I took 2YO and we would say " I see leaves of orange, I see feathers too, I see great big trees and a rock for me and you...etc. WE use a nature walk print out from Donna Young and a clip board when we go and put them in our notebooks when we get back.

cbollin

Global Art - Ideas for simplifying

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:47 pm

I like to simplify as much as possible.

For our Global Art choices for USA, we scaled down our 2 two choices. Kids loved it.

1. we did the quilt idea with paper scraps glued on a piece of cardstock
2. we did sand painting --- but scaled down. we bought "desert colored" sand at Michaels and for $1 picked up these peel off templates for sand painting. You simply peel back the paper, leaving the sticky, pour sand onto of the sticky and a colorful design is there.

I like the ideas and projects in global art --- but I also like to scale them back when needed. My kids had a blast.

-crystal

adding pics of those projects..
quilt.jpg
quilt.jpg (41.39 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
sand art.jpg
sand art.jpg (47.14 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
Last edited by cbollin on Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdavis762

Unread post by cdavis762 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Crystal,

What timing for your post! I was just looking through the Global Art book this afternoon. I am trying to plan out the first several weeks. I know my kids would love the sand project, but I don't think I could handle it. I like your scaled-down version a lot! Let us know what other ones you have come up w/!

I think the quilt idea is adorable. We're a houseful of quilters.
Be blessed,
Carol

God is in control!
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/coveredbygrace

histendermercies

Great Resource for learning the 50 states!

Unread post by histendermercies » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Several years ago I bought " StickerUSA" by Barker Creek. Don't let the name fool you though it's more than just a sticker book. The activity book comes with enough stickers for 1 student, and all of the pages for each state, that can be reproduced . It also comes with a CD that you can use that has all the same stuff as the book, even the stickers. Although you would have to by sticker paper to print them on or just print them on regular paper, cut them out & glue them on the state sheet.

I added this to our study of the US in ECC.

Check out the website to take a look at this great resource! www.barkercreek.com

histendermercies

Sand Art Project

Unread post by histendermercies » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 pm

I too scaled down on this.....by buying the colored sand : )

Julie in MN

Matthew's "Begats"

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:51 pm

"The Ballad of Matthew's Begats"
Book & CD

During week 4 when you read the geneology in Matthew, this is a a totally "fluff" extra that's kinda fun. I happened upon it just when we'd been discussing the geneologies at our house, and couldn't resist -- a little music & noise & goofy illustrations & interesting trivia added to our day :o)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

State coloring challenge help

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 pm

If you start with the 4 corners states (CO, UT, NM, and AZ), and color each a different color, this does work. It gets tricky over around TN and KY, so they have to kind of think ahead. What dd and I did was just lightly pencil in our colors until we were sure we didn't make any mistakes, and then went back and colored in each state when we were done. (Same idea as Crystal, using the numbers.)

Also, pick 4 very distinct colors - it's hard to tell orange and red apart if you don't color darkly. We picked Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

JenniferF

State coloring challenge help

Unread post by JenniferF » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:17 am

another good idea is to put the map inside a page protector or use a laminated map. We used dry erase markers on it and then if a mistake was made we could easily erase and correct. I knew if I didn't do it that way my girls would have had a fit when they made a mistake.
Jennifer

BHelf

Sand art - edible!

Unread post by BHelf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:16 am

When realizing last night that today should be art day and I hadn't even read over my choices for North America from Global ARt yet, I sat down to figure out which one we could do with stuff I already had. Well, we had baked 3 cakes for our World Cake (that we didn't do until Sunday because of a stomach bug) and I had 2 left that I had put aside. We had icing and we had different colored sprinkles. SO, I let my DD (7) draw the Navajo Sand ARt design with icing on the cake (instead of glue on paper) and use sprinkles to color (instead of sand) and now we had edible sand art!
Just wanted to share in case anyone else was in a similar predicament! :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

TurnOurHearts

Re: ECC week 4 Science question

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:56 am

sojen wrote:Today, in week 4 of ECC, Living World p. 62-63 is scheduled in the TM. It says "see notes", but I don't see any notes. Am I just missing something or is this a typo?
cbollin wrote:oh well, the MFW office will be open soon to really help on this typo. I was hoping it was an easy look up the first edition manual and see what it said and assume that something just transferred wrong..... but alas, those Living World pages are assigned in week 17 of first edition and have no notes for them.

so...... I'm thinking it's a typo and can be ignored. Or it means to check the notes at the front of the manual about science notebooking for Living World. I notice that See Notes on week 1, Tuesday with Living World says:
see the notes at the beginning of the manual.

so.... let's go with that. It's a reminder to look back for what to do all year when you have readings from Living World Encyclopedia.
-crystal
Answering on behalf of one very busy Lucy :) :

The "see notes" on Tuesday are there in error and we will pass that information along so Marie can be aware of the needed revision. As for what to do on that assignment, Crystal was exactly right. You will follow the directions for Living World Encyclopedia given in the Science section of Teaching Tips in the TM.

sojen

Re: ECC week 4 Science question

Unread post by sojen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 am

The "see notes" on Tuesday are there in error and we will pass that information along so Marie can be aware of the needed revision. As for what to do on that assignment, Crystal was exactly right. You will follow the directions for Living World Encyclopedia given in the Science section of Teaching Tips in the TM.
Wow, week 4 and I totally missed the info on making a science page! Thank you for redirecting me. Every time I have turned to that page in the TM I started thinking about the discussion on Christian science books vs. secular science books. I never saw the info on science pages. I think I may over analyze things a bit :-)

This is why I love, love love MFW. You ladies are fabulous!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

cbollin

Re: Science Fair Project

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:35 am

schelean wrote:Our local support group is organizing a science fair. This will be our first time participating in a science fair. I am wanting to use what we are currently learning in ECC which is the forest and tree identification. We will be using the simplest type of project - a report style display. I am thinking a tri-fold board would be good. However, I am having a hard time deciding what needs to go on there to show what dd8 has learned and will be able to talk about (answer questions of viewers that night).

I would love any of your ideas about what to display, how to display, and/or how to best show what is being learned. Thanks for any help/ideas you can offer.
You'll be able to do an internet search for basic pictures of science fair displays.

Some ideas to toss around (oh, how I wish Kellybell were back... she is science fair/science olympics champ):

*Even though it is a botany report.....try to have some of your display as interactive as is possible. Make it lift a flap with a photo on outside and name of tree underneath.

*Or guess which one belongs to which one. Something a little bit of a fun quiz/game so that people stop and try it.

*have some tree products on the table. seeds from various trees in your yard. bark. acorns, those black walnut things, the funky pod thingy from magnolia trees, pine cones, pine needles. samples of mulch (can you tell which mulch is which tree?)

then have the report/notebooking all pretty on put in on display. choose a favorite picture that your child has drawn.

Something more than just a report.
Not too much that you feel like they walk into a forest
but something to make them stop and interact.

questions to be ready to answer:
well, I know this is a X kind of tree because of this part of it.

but something that your child knows the answers to, can be part of the guessing game that other kids can ask as they go by: yeah, this leaf is from the magnolia tree, see it has this and this and

you'll be fine. enjoy it.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Science Fair Project

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm

To me the biggest goal is to have my child speak up in front of others. What he talks about is, as you mentioned, just needed as a prompt. I think folks enjoy it when the younger ones go off on their own little tangents :)

- I agree with Crystal that folks love looking thru my kids' notebooks & often ask questions about them. Make sure you review your notebook first, if you're bringing it, so it's fresh in his mind! Even a nature journal, if you have some trees in there.

- Photos! Walgreens will print them for only about 10 cents or so. Then your child can answer questions about how he did the things in the photos. For example, I remember the blindfold/recognize a tree activity. People would be intrigued about the blindfold picture and your child could tell how he learned to notice more detail about trees by doing that activity. (You could practice Q&A beforehand.)

- Add a Bible verse about God's creation. That would give him something to talk about. Maybe even have the child recite it from memory.

- I don't know how much time you have, but we got the free tree kit described here, and there are some good displays in it: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 265#p12265

Have fun & don't forget your camera!
Julie

RachelT

Re: Weeks 3-4 United States

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks Crystal for sharing how you simplified Global Art projects! We had fun making our quilts out of cardstock and scrapbook paper. I let the kids use my scrapbook shape punches to "cut" out each block and they got creative and used other shapes and glued them onto a 16 square template of 2x2 squares that I had drawn for them.

I think I will be looking for the sticky paper for the sand painting projects this weekend.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

RachelT

Re: Weeks 3-4 Sand art

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:50 pm

We found colored sand at Wal Mart and used glue sticks to draw patterns on cardstock and then sprinkled sand on them. It was a beautiful day so we were able to do this outside and on top of newspapers, outside it was easy to clean up! We also made another sand project where we filled little jars with layers of colored sand. Fun!

Rachel

meagabby

Re: Xylem Trick?

Unread post by meagabby » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 pm

BHelf wrote:Is there a trick to getting the xylem out of the celery? Everytime I try it just breaks off instead of pulling out. Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)
Brooke
It took us 2 or three, but I remember having to be very gentle and going slow.
Very interesting results, so I hope it works for you.
Loving learning with MFW!

RachelT

Re: Xylem Trick?

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Well, we just did that last week and I didn't cut the bottom off with a knife like I normally would, I tore it off. That helped some of the strings show up better. I also used my fingernails to pull the ends out and then very slowly pulled them up. I don't know if that's really a trick, but that's how they came out.

sewardmom

Re: Weeks 3-4 State song

Unread post by sewardmom » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am

FYI - There was a previous post referencing a song called The Fifty Nifty United States and how it was difficult to find. Now there are several versions available on youtube. Catchy tune!

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

cbollin

Matthew 1, and importance in Bible translation?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:31 am

For encouraging others who are in ECC when you get to week 4.

I am on the fan club newsletter for my favorite Band, Apologetix, That Christian Parody Band. J and the boys emailed me permission to share this story. it comes from their work and fan newsletter dated june 2010. I'm hoping that "J and the boys in the band" understand my heart in sharing this and giving them credit on it even if I didn't think to email them and say "please J?"

As I read it, I thought, wow! in MFW, ECC, we do Matthew chapter 1 in week 4 after we talk that first week about Bible translation. I need to share this with other ECC'ers. As the Lord leads in your family, maybe this would be nice to share in case you get bogged down in MT chapter 1. I hope this blesses others.
Apolgetix lead singer J Jackson wrote:J. Jackson, lead singer and lyricist for ApologetiX here.

A fan wrote me today asking for help as he struggled through the genealogies of the Bible. I know some people skip the genealogies, but I always think about 2 Timothy 3:16, where it says: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

For example, Jesus' genealogies in Matthew and Luke show that He was a descendant of Adam (therefore Adam was a real person), of Abraham (so Jesus is the promised seed of Abraham), of Israel (so Jesus is an Israelite), of Judah (so Jesus is a Jew), and of David (Jesus is the promised Son of David). You also find that quite a few unlikely women were among Jesus' ancestors, including Judah's daughter-in-law Tamar, Rahab the harlot, Ruth the Moabitess, and Bathsheba, David's partner in adultery.

I heard a story of a missionary who worked with a previously unreached tribe to put their language into writing, and then she translated the Gospel of Matthew for them. The tribe was so excited when a truck carrying the printed booklets arrived. Then she realized they were only excited because they'd never seen a truck before. They never bothered to read the booklets. Eventually, she went back and finished translating the Gospel of Matthew. It turns out, she hadn't bothered to translate the genealogy of Jesus in chapter one, because she didn't see much value in the lists of names.

Once the complete Gospel of Matthew was available, the chief started reading it. He asked her to explain to him what the genealogy part meant. She explained that those people were Jesus' ancestors. The chief exclaimed, "You mean, this Jesus you've been telling us about is a real person?" Teary-eyed, he then asked, "Then why has no one ever come to tell us about Him before?" That genealogy opened up the door for that chief and his tribe to receive Christ. Don't underestimate the importance of any part of the Bible.
(this is not a promotion for the band, but just sharing that moment in missions and Bible translation)

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie in MN

Re: Matthew 1, and importance in Bible translation?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Crystal,
I just had the same experience in a book I read about a different missionary (posted at the very end of my post here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 154#p62590 ). And since your story is slightly different, it's all the more convicting to me to hear it from two directions.

Especially as we head into reading lots of "begats" in the whole Old Testament next year :)

Julie

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 pm

I read a very similar story in a YWAM bible I have. It seems the missionaries translated all the NT and not one tribe member had accepted Christ. They then decided to translate what they considered the least important--Jesus' genealogy. Almost immediately, most of the tribe asked to accept Christ right then because they saw that not only was he a real person but that someone with that kind of ancestral history "must be who you say he is."

:)

I am fully convinced that every sentence in the Bible is in there for a reason--even if we don't understand it or "relate" to it. I was reading a missionary's book about her time in Papua New Guinea working with a particular tribe there who were "spitters." The "healer" would spit on someone who was sick or dying in an attempt to heal them. As she worked on translating the Scriptures into their heart language, she got to the part where Jesus spit on the mud and rubbed it on the blind man's eyes and he could then see again. The people were amazed and said that he was indeed the greatest "spitter" to live--this made a huge difference in them relating to Christ and coming to know Him. Now, for me--I never understood those verses. After all--Jesus didn't have to spit on anything to heal the man. There are countless other verses attesting to that. So why did He? I believe it was specifically because that particular tribe would one day have the Scriptures translated into their language and they NEEDED to read that in order to understand Him.

Sorry--just had to share. Thanks, Crystal for sharing this!
Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

sixtimemom

Unread post by sixtimemom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:54 pm

Even though we just finished ECC last week, I will share this with my children.

In this day and age we really don't talk about someones ancestors or put much importance on it, yet in days gone by it was a big deal. And interestingly enough even in "other cultures" it's still a big deal. There was a time when someone was introduced as "so and so" the son of "so and so".
Debbie
Mom to 6
Grandma to 1
Homeschooler for 17 years and this is my 2nd year to use MFW
ECC and AHL 2009/2010
1850 -Exploration, AHL & WHL 2010-2011

Julie - Staff

ECC World Geo pg 105 - Islands

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 am

rawbanana wrote:We are doing the World Geo pg105 today that says 'Islands of N. America' and you are supposed to write the islands that match the latitude and longitude... where did you find the answers? Is it in one of the atlases we have or did you go online?? Thanks!
Postby doubleportion » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 am
You use your Atlas. In the beginning finding the long. & lat. can be very challenging. So just remember if you only do two islands together showing your dc how to follow the lines and estimate the number that would be enough for the first time. My dd came to tears the first time, so we took it very slow and worked on them together each time, never expecting to finish the page. By the end of the year she could find them without any assistance.

Edie

Postby Julie in MN » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 am
We used a huge laminated map (a cheap one from Sam's Club or something), and my ds drew lines with a washable marker. When he found where the lines intersected, I checked to see if he was correct. If he was, we either found the island or, if it was very small, we found where to look in the atlas.

Julie

doubleportion

Re: Weeks 3-4 United States - Alaska

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:27 pm

My daughter found a nice picture book at the library called Swift by Robert J. Blake, Philomel Books published by Robert J Blake copyright 2007.

Nice adventurous story about a young boy and his dog who go hunting with his father and the father is attacked by a bear and they must go to get help. Beautiful oil paintings for the illustrations. It is set in Alaska.The author even has a post script which says that you can still stake a homestead claim for land in Alaska and that as research for his book writing he spent time with a homesteading family in Healy, Alaska.

This would be a good book for book basket for ECC in the United States weeks or for the Alaska weeks in ADV.

:)

Edie