#11 - Insect

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#11 - Insect

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:16 pm

Lesson #11 Insect

Additional ideas may be posted in other areas of the message board:
Science - Ants, Volcanoes, and Butterflies, oh my! http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3070

michele

Go to the ant chart

Unread post by michele » Mon May 24, 2004 4:17 pm

Date Posted: 11/7/2001
Doorposts sells a neat chart called "Go-to-the-ant" chart, taken from Prov. 6:6. It goes well with the I-I-Insect lesson in MFWK. We found it at a Christian bookstore that sells homeschool items, but we have also ordered from their website at http://www.doorposts.net. They have some neat items. I am excited to use this chart with the kids when we get our ant farm set up, then we can actually "go to the ant" when we are studying something on the chart.

Lindsay

books on ants

Unread post by Lindsay » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:32 am

When studying ants, some of the books that we enjoyed were:

*** The Life & Times of the Ant by Pam McGrath (nonfiction)
My sons loved this and begged to read more and more. Cute illustrations and very informational.

* Are You an Ant? by Judy Allen
Informational and Very Cute!

* Pam CGrath's Hungry Ants: A ready to count book
Even though even my 5 year old already knew how to count to 10, he enjoyed this book.

Blessings,
Lindsay

Liesl A.

Good books about insects

Unread post by Liesl A. » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 am

Here are some good books we used:

Ants by Deborah Hodge - very informational with lots of good projects
Bugs are Insects by Anne Rockwell - good pictures, informational
The Roly Poly Spider by Jill Sardegna - very cute book - my kids love it and we sing it all the time

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:35 am

Information books we used with this unit:
It's a Good Thing there Are Insects - Allan Fowler
Are You an Ant? Judy Allen
Ladybug Ladybug Fly Away Home - Judy Hawes
Honey Bees and Hives - Lola Schaefer
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Winkie

Insect goo

Unread post by Winkie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:24 pm

I got this idea from an old magazine:

To attract insects:
In a blender, mix over-ripe fruit, stale beer or wine or old fruit juice, and sweetener (honey, sugar, or molasses). Then take a paintbrush and go outside at sunset. Have your child paint some of the goo on trees or untreated wood. Return after dark and discover what you've lured - moths, ants, and other insects.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

RachelT

more good insect books

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:38 pm

Hello! Here are some more things to read and enjoy during this unit study.

Are You A Ladybug? By Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries (fun, yet informative)
The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive and The Magic School Bus Gets Ants in Its Pants by Joanna Cole
Ladybugs Red, Fiery, and Bright by Mia Posada
About Insects A Guide for Children by Cathryn Sill

When reading "The Little Red Hen" by Jerry Pinkney on Day 4 we followed it by reading a fun book called "The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza" by Philemon Sturges. We found an easy reader version called "The Little Red Hen" by Harriet Ziefert that my 1st gr. ds could help read.

Our library also has a Magic School Bus DVD called "Bugs, Bugs, Bugs" that has three episodes including bees, ants, and butterflies.
Last edited by RachelT on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mom2MnS

Day 5

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi everyone :)
We have had a lovely time with Ii insect this past week and a half. My dd has decided that though there is a definite "yuck" issue with bugs, they are also very interesting and fun to learn about.
I wanted to share how we "celebrated" day 5. No specific insect is listed to study, so we did a little something different. DD is a fan of "Miss Spider" by David Kirk, so we did a spider day :) They aren't insects, of course, which gave us a great "in" to discussing the differences - but they do EAT them - haha!
We read the "Miss Spider" books and made sugar cookies decorated as all kinds of insects. DD did a "Miss Spider" cookie, too.
Tomorrow, we will continue with a "Miss Spider" tea party so we can enjoy our cookies - and we will be building a web out of yarn all over her room.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

3scompany

Unread post by 3scompany » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:39 pm

My library had a manual called Creepy Crawlies by Jacqueline Clark, a theme guide for grades K-1. It had lots of great ideas that we supplemented with this week. Some of our favorites included teaching a song for insect part identification (to the tune of "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"). It goes, Head, Thorax, Abdomen, abdomen; Head, Thorax, abdomen, abdomen, Eyes, antennae, three pairs of legs; Head, Thorax, abdomen, abdomen.

My kids also enjoyed the book "Who Hops?" and saying, "No, they don't" when appropriate. We talked about all different kinds of insects then and classified them by movement and made up our own version of the book.

We made our own honeycomb by cutting yellow hexagons from construction paper and gluing them onto a black background. We talked about the different purposes of the rooms and glued a piece of rice in some for eggs, elbow macaroni or a dried bean for larvae in others, and gold cellophane for honey in other cells. We covered the cells with waxed paper that we cut into hexagon shapes as well.

I think their favorite activity was investigating mouthparts. We used a sponge to "mop" up applesauce like a fly; a straw to sip nectar (orange juice) like a butterfly or a bee; scissors to chew lettuce like a ladybug or grasshopper, and and eyedropper to pierce and suck tomato juice like a mosquito.

We also talked about camouflage and my son loved the book How to hide a Butterfly and other insects by Platt and Monk, 1992

Oh, and we read One Hundred hungry Ants by Elinor Pinczes and talked about pheromone trails and I made popcorn and hid it and they searched through the house trying to find the food with their noses. The whole house smelled like popcorn...but they had fun pretending![/u]
Mom of three blessings....4.5, 2.5, and 9 mos.

nhneubauer

Insects Ideas

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:03 pm

Lady bug:
I love anything that has the kids prints or picture on it so I loved this one.

Use red paint to make red thumprints. When dry use black markers to make dots, legs & head.

Modified Ants on A Log:
I know this will mortify some of the healthy moms. But my kids don't like raisins so we used M&Ms.

Bee:
This is a great time to listen to "Flight of the Bumble Bee" by Rimsky-Korsakov.

And my son had been asking to eat honey combs for weeks. So they got to try that. (It is just wax and as long as they don't eat too much, I can't see how it would hurt them. Chocolate bars have wax in them to make them hard.)

Nicole

MammaBear

Unread post by MammaBear » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 pm

I did this unit for camp this year. As a special treat for the kids - ages 2 to 6- we read the lonely firefly and made fireflies. We took a sheet of craft foam and cut heart shapes for the wings- glue those on top of a glow stick. Glue wiggle eyes to the end without the necklace. Thats it, break it when dark. Our kids LOVED these and they were so easy and cute. Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
Mamma Bear to 4dc - 12yos, 10yodd, 8yodd, 5yodd
Used K, Adv, and ECC, skipped CTG, using RTR now.
Also use FIAR

Bonnie

Ladybug snack

Unread post by Bonnie » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:18 pm

We enjoyed a fun side dish yesterday to go along with the study of insects. We made a lady bug using a red apple sliced in half placed on a piece of lettuce over a small plate. Then placed four dabs of peanut butter on top and stuck a chocolate chip over the peanut butter for the spots. (the purpose of the peanut butter is to hold the choc. chip in place. You can also use raisins) We used toothpicks stuck into the very front with a choc chip at the top of them for the antennae. (you could use black string licorice)
We are loving our study of "My Father's World!!"

Bonnie

mycobabe

Ladybugs

Unread post by mycobabe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am

I just love ladybugs, so to add to the day 3 lesson I found a really cute printable book from www.daniellesplace.com in the Resource Room called Vedalia, The Helpful Ladybug. It went along perfect with the memory verse. If you are not familar with www.daniellesplace.com you must check it out. There is a yearly fee just like Enchanted Learning, but it is well worth it.

Here is another link with LOTS of cool activities about ladybugs.
http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/ladybugs.htm

Have fun studying BUGS!

Amy

cbollin

Ant Hill instructions are also available online

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:58 pm
The ant hill instructions are also available online from Insect Lore
Try clicking here for PDF format
or click here for non PDF format

What do ants eat?
Read the section called Caring for your Ants. You'll find it there :)
-crystal
Winni wrote:The little sheet of paper that came with the kit said to give them a small slice of apple every couple of days. I mean, small...only a tiny bit will fit in there.

StarrMama

God Sent Two Insects For Us to Enjoy

Unread post by StarrMama » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:32 pm

My son just finished the Insect lesson today. This past week we enjoyed painting rocks to look like ladybugs and while we were painting in the backyard low and behold a white ladybug flew over and landed on the paint tray!!!! We were able to inspect it and take turn holding it. So cool.

Today we were in the basement finishing up the lesson and I had an insect mobile craft that the kids were working on when our 4 yr old went to throw some trash away and exclaimed, "There's a bug in the trash!" Yep, a little black and red beetle was climbing around. We took him out and enjoyed looking at him.

I told the kids how amazing God is to send us TWO bugs that went right along with what we were studying at the moment. Thank YOU LORD!
Wife to Desi. Mama to Hope 8 (ECC), Owen 6(K), Emmaline 4 and Levi 2. Happily serving God in the inner-city of Denver,CO.
www.6starrs.blogspot.com

evey

fun ant farm

Unread post by evey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 am

We just made an ant farm. My son in K and 2 yr old girl loved doing it- and want to keep them as pets! No way :)
My son said how exciting it was and woke me before I was awake, and said "When are we doing MFW?"
I am so thankful for this curriculum and am happy to enjoy it with my kids. My son is singing "I love mfw," and begging to do it right now so I got to go.
Evonne

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:12 pm

K and autism

Not really too much different in this unit for teaching my daughter.

We used some videos from the library for information as well as simple books again. (notice the theme in my posts???)

The best part to mention is how God provides. We were in the insect unit and for the whole unit there seemed to be an invasion of ladybugs at the park in my town and our backyard.

We enjoyed watching them. We skipped the ant farm this time and just lifted rocks to look for crawling critters. Saw an anthill in the backyard.

Made pretend insects out of sets of 3 blocks each. Made sure we knew a spider has 8 legs, but insect has 6.

Then, all the girls crawled on the floor pretending to be an ant.

Enjoyed reading The Very Quiet Cricket, and the Lonely Firefly.

-crystal

FreshKid

insects

Unread post by FreshKid » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:50 am

I just couldn't bring myself to have ants in the house. (We had a bad ant problem in the kitchen a year to two ago. YUCK!! We also have a farm and I could see the logic in bringing more ants to the farm when the fire ants are such a problem.) Anyway, we went to the Museum of Life and Science. They have a huge insect room and butterfly house. There is an ant "wall" too. It is a plexiglass window area where you can see the ants and tunnels "underground" and if you bend over, you can see the surface of the ground too. However, I thought the best ant exhibit was in the space exploration area. They had domes and pipes linked together. You could watch the ants travel down the pipes, get pieces of leaves, and take them back to the domes. DS doesn't even know the ant farm was an option!

We used some books already mentioned, and thought these were good too:
Ant & Honey Bee What a Pair! by Megan McDonald
The Honey Makers by Gail Gibbons
Insects are my Life By Megan McDonald
The Bugliest Bug by Carol Diggory Shields

LadySnow

Bible verse correction

Unread post by LadySnow » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:22 am

Not sure if it is fixed in the newer versions. But on day 4 when we study the bees...it says to read 2 Thessalonians 3:11b...it should be 3:10...not 11. :D

matriarch918

Re: #11 - Insect

Unread post by matriarch918 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm

I had never even heard of the story of the Little Red Hen, doing a Google search, I found several sites that just told the story. This was my favorite: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/storie ... hen/story/ This site has several activities based on the little red hen: http://www.first-school.ws/activities/f ... redhen.htm. When doing the day on ants, I remembered an old cartoon I saw as a child. Try going to You Tube and searching for "The Ant and the Grasshopper", very early in the results you should see a 7-8 minute cartoon from 1934 that goes well with the story on ants.

karlafoisy

Unread post by karlafoisy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:34 pm

In the Insect section, the TM suggests we tell the story of The Little Red Hen who works hard even when the animals around her do not want to work. Only she and her children get to enjoy a delicious meal.

I wanted to mention that the author, Amy Lowry Poole, retells an Aesop's Fable called The Ant and the Grasshopper. While I have never read it, the reviews are good, and the summary of the book is this: "While the ants are hard at work collecting food for the long winter, the grasshopper only plays and does no work at all to prepare for the long harsh winter up ahead. Soon the winter comes and the ants are warm and have plenty of food to eat. However the grasshopper is out in the cold with no food at all." I thought it would be neat to have a story that is similar to the Little Red Hen but that fits into the insect theme a little more closely.

Here is the amazon address to the book:
The Ant and the Grasshopper
Amy Lowry Poole (Author, Illustrator, Narrator)

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Just wanted to add that I actually used "The ant and the grasshopper" book (retold and illustrated by Amy Lowry Poole) instead of "The Little Red Hen" since we will be using the latter during weeks 6 and 7 of Adventures. I thought it tied in a little better, too, since it's about insects. I borrowed my copy from my local library. Then my dc watched the Disney version on dvd. We already owned the dvd but that one was also available by request at my library. It's available under the name "Walt Disney's timeless tales Volume one". The actual dvd we have is called "Wind in the Willows" by Disney. It also has other movies on it including one called "The Wise Little Hen" which I haven't seen yet but I'm assuming it is along the same lines as "The Little Red Hen". "Walt Disney's timeless tales Volume one" doesn't have "The Wise Little Hen" on it. I hope that all made sense.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

fyonaf

Unread post by fyonaf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:29 pm

There is a marvelous poetry collection about insects called Joyful Noise: Poems for Two Voices by Paul Fleischman. If you can get the audio version, it's truly amazing--a group of people read the poems and they're just terrific. My kids (preschoolers and kindergardner) LOVE them. The poems are antiphonal in nature and really need to be read by two or more people at a time; if you can't find the audio version, enlist the help of an older child or your spouse. Enjoy!

vanderhoof

Insect - FABULOUS "book"!!!

Unread post by vanderhoof » Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am

I found an amazing website - http://www.readtomelv.com/lesson-plans/
They post videos of actors reading books. There is a WONDERFUL book called "Bugtown Boogie" that is PERFECT for the Insect lesson!! Such a delightful story and made even more wonderful by the actors reading it!

meremc

Unread post by meremc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Reading Rainbow, season 1, has an episode on The Life Cycle of the Honeybee that goes so well with the lesson on bees. It shows how beekeepers harvest honey. We found it on Amazon Prime.