# 7 - Us

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

# 7 - Us

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:20 pm

Lesson # 7 Us

Janie

unit ideas

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 4:07 pm

Author: Janie
Date: 10/25/2001 7:03 am PDT

I have some ideas for the U-u Us unit in the MFWK, I would like to share with you.

Hearing: Set up an ear for the children to crawl through.
You draw a large ear lobe on a piece of butcher paper or end roll (you can sometimes get end rolls from your local newspaper for free), cut a hole in it large enough for them to fit through, tape it to the back of 2 chairs. Construct a tunnel out of blankets (or use a toy tunnel) this is the auditory canal. Then place a real drum at the end of the tunnel (for the ear drum) behind the drum place a hammer (real or plastic) for the Hammer. Lay one metal cookie sheet overlapping another one, and touching a seashell filled with water. The metal sheets are the anvil and the stirrup, the seashell is the cochlea. Have them strike the cookie sheet that is farthest away from the shell with the hammer. The vibrations should vibrate the water in the shell. The kids have just had a great time and followed the path of a sound wave.

This would also be a great time to introduce them to the sign language alphabet.

Touch: Make finger prints of everyone in your family and compare them with a magnifying glass.

Have your child put his hand in a bowl of melting ice for about 30 seconds then touch something soft and then something prickly. You cannot feel them because our sense of touch has been numbed.

Make a hole in the side of a box. Have you children reach through the hole and try to identify objects you have placed inside the box

Janie

5 sense ideas

Unread post by Janie » Tue May 25, 2004 12:03 am

Author: Janie
Date: 10/25/2001

Sight: Put a variety of objexts on a table . Ask your child to look at the objects for a minute then cover the objects . How many of the items can your child remember?

Have your child study your pupils while you shine a flash light (not directly into) near one eye. One should be smaller than the other.

Draw or paint a shape with thick black lines on plain white paper. Stare hard at it for at least a minute. Now have you child tightly close his eyes. What does he see with his eyes closed?

Here is an idea for both taste and smell. Have your child close his eyes, then hold an onion under his nose while feeding him a piece of apple.

Put food coloring into juice and see if your child can identify it by its taste.

Smell: blind fold your child and see if he can identity different fruits, herbs, vegetables. Fresh works best.

If I have more time I have more ideas on the senses we will not be doing all of them in a week, but I wish we had to time to. I hope you enjoy your day in MY FATHER'S WORLD.
Janie <><

Lindsay

My Body

Unread post by Lindsay » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:21 pm

My first grade son is doing Kindergarten with my younger son, so I am supplementing for him. (If you want to lengthen this unit, I think a kindergartner would really enjoy this too!)
My Body by Patricia Carratello.
As they learn briefly about different body parts, they cut out and color them and glue them on to the life-size cutout of their own body traced.
Very easy and cute and I think they will learn a lot!
I got this for $7.99 at Mardel, a Christian Bookstore & Homeschool Supply Store. I have seen this at the regular teacher store too.

Blessings,
Lindsay

Julie Looney

u us

Unread post by Julie Looney » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:37 am

We play a game where I have objects sitting on the table. I let the children study them for a bit, then have them close there eyes and remove an object or two. See if they can tell what is missing. The more objects you use the harder it is. have fun!

Oh and to practice hearing we hide a clock that ticks. You can take turns finding or the first one to find it wins.
Play the whisper game whisper the whole day, See if it is harder to hear while there are distractions, Talk about how God's voice is like a whisper we need to be still to hear it. Talk about what might distract us from hearing God's voice.
In HIS love my Sisters,
Julie

Christa Ellis

U-u-Us

Unread post by Christa Ellis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:01 pm

I usually have a poem for each topic. I write the poem on a dry-erase board on the first day of the unit, and we recite the poem every day when we do the calendar and hundred chart. Usually my daughter has the poem memorized by the end of the unit. I underline words that reoccur in the poem in different colors so she can see they are the same word. This helps build her sight vocabulary.

I found a great poem for the Us Unit. It's from The Christian Mother Goose Big Book by Marjorie Ainsborough Decker. It's on page 30 and called "A Blessing on Your Head." It mentions nose, ears, eyes, lips, etc. It's perfect for the unit. I would post the entire text, but I'm not sure about the copyright laws on posting an entire poem. If you would like the entire text, email me at chrellis@hotmail.com.

l-floyd

Sounds on the web for Us unit

Unread post by l-floyd » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:39 pm

For Day 3, rather than finding sounds around the house for your child to guess, try the website www.findsounds.com. You can type in almost any sound you wish and it will play it for you. Have your child guess what sound it is. We tried different musical instruments, fire trucks, animal sounds, a baby giggling, etc. My son didn't want to stop!

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Books we enjoyed for this unit:
God Made You Special by Eric Metaxas (good if your child likes Veggie Tales)
The Eye Book by Theo LeSieg
The Ear Book by Al Perkins

Info Books:
Eyes, Nose, Fingers, & Toes by Judy Hindley
How Do Your Senses Work? by Judy Tatchell
Look at Your Eyes by Paul Showers
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

nhneubauer

senses ideas

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:23 pm

http://www.kidshealth.org
Go to the Kids' page, Movies & Games, then Experiment page to find all kinds of ideas. We used the Model Eardrum, which was interesting.

Smell-We made smelly paints
I packet of kool-aid mixed with 1 1/2 c. water. (I think we used less water). WARNING: This will stain, so wear old clothes and cover table with newspaper.

Nicole

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:20 pm

We also found this link on another MFW discussion board and we made these free lapbooks about the 5 senses. It's a neat project!
http://www.homeschoolhelperonline.com/l ... senses.htm

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Kirsty

Senses Book

Unread post by Kirsty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:55 pm

We found a great book about the 5 senses at the library. It has a page of information on each sense and about 4 pages of 'experiments'. These are all easily done at home without purchasing anything extra or too much mess. Even my DS 2 who does MFWK with us enjoyed them.

First Science Experiments: Super Senses by Shar Levine & Leslie Johnstone

evey

US (K)- unit study idea

Unread post by evey » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 am

Hi- we read a new book I thought was cute that goes along with the "grass is not always greener theme," from the us unit study. It is called "Duck for President." The duck has everyone take a vote, that he should run the farm, not the farmer. He finds it too much work, and eventually runs for president, which is too hard, so applies for the job of duck on a farm again. Lots of funny pics. Also, it explains campaigning and the ballot voting system- which is timely.
I've actually considered voting for the duck myself!
Just kidding.
Evonne

jenniferblake

Unread post by jenniferblake » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000641.shtml

bunch of good ideas on this site for our 5 senses. some are subscription only, most are free.

jenniferblake

Two Great Books...

Unread post by jenniferblake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:39 pm

I did not see these listed. One of them I had already and the other was from the library.

I had "God Made Our Bodies" by Heno Head Jr. This book is a simple science for kids book and covers the skeletal system, muscles, blood, digestion, 5 senses. Also how they all work together, how we are wonderfully made as well as a brief discussion of disabilities. Maybe 15 pages.

The library book was "Taste and See The Goodness of the Lord" by Therese Johnson Borchard. It talks of different things the Lord has created and how our senses perceive them. For ex- "I see the goodness of God in the pink tulips that bloom in April." "I taste the goodness of God in a cold glass of lemonade on a hot afternoon." "I feel the goodness of God in a wet lick of my puppy's tongue on my face." etc. Nice illustrations and great tie in to the lesson.

2mymasuly

Book Ideas

Unread post by 2mymasuly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:51 pm

Your Insides by Joanna Cole - has great detail/illustrations and describes in sections the different parts of the insides of our bodies and how/why they function.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:20 pm

MFW K and autism

We ended up using some simple science books by Allan Fowler in the Rookie Read About Science series. One for each sense.

Good unit to use in combination with our language goals to have more descriptive words when seeing and hearing and feeling. Also, good for review on language goals for What do we do with our "eyes" (etc.) and other similar What questions (that will make "sense" for those with delayed kids)

Good time to sing Head Shoulder Knees and Toes

fun unit to do with my kid.

-crystal

worshiplady26

Sense of Smell

Unread post by worshiplady26 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am

For the day studying the sense of smell, I found this great video and thought I'd share. It's kids teaching on how your nose works and has two easy science experiments that are shown that are great. I hope you enjoy! To help you search, the title of that video is:
Discovery twins episode 5

Amy C.

MFWK "Us" question - Unbutton?

Unread post by Amy C. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:30 pm

kanderson wrote:Perhaps it was from all that turkey on Thanksgiving but, I have had a brain block of sorts lol. In lesson 7 "Us", on the letter sound picture cards page; the first picture is of a little boy getting dressed? - is the word unbutton or undressed or something else? I just completely blanked, my 6yo was even laughing. Anyone know what the word is supposed to be? (I'm not the only one who has days like this am I? 8[] )
Thanks!
~Kristin
We used "unbutton" as well. :)
No, you are not the only one who has days like that! :-)

Amy C.

mandkhowell

Re: # 7 - Us

Unread post by mandkhowell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Found a great idea - Get some butcher block Paper (You know the endless roll from a teaching supply store) the length/height of your child. Trace a copy of them onto it. Go to http://www.homeschoolshare.com and click on lapbooking and then free lapbooks. Then go to master list and click on human body. Then scroll down to lapbook templates and click on Body Parts. Print off the body parts and then have them glue the parts onto what you have traced. PS - You could also print off a pic of your child's face or let the girls do a make-over on it, etc. Just thought this was a really cute and simple way to implement the body and talk about the senses etc.

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:52 am

Mister Rogers Neighborhood - Free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

Season 1982, Ep. 9 "Mister Rogers makes popcorn, then visits Negri's Music Shop to hear different kinds of horns. In Make-Believe, the King likes Chef Brockett's popcorn balls and insists that the Neighbors find a way to include popcorn in tomorrow's opera."

Season 1998, Ep. 8 "Mister Rogers visits his optometrist for an eye exam, showing what happens there and a video of how people make eyeglasses. In Make-Believe, Handyman Negri has new eyeglasses, and some neighbors are afraid of a visiting gorilla."

Season 1981, Ep. 3 "In Make-Believe, Lady Elaine and her Museum have gone. Even though there is "no play allowed" Ana, Prince and Daniel just have to play,and the Prince speaks up against his father's rule. A musician who is blind visits the Music Shop."

Season 1988, Ep. 7 "Mister Rogers takes a trip through Luray Caverns where he and a blind saxophonist play music. In Make-Believe, King Friday looks for a tutor for his son and is working on being kind. Mister Rogers talks about the importance of teachers."
***FYI - While in the underground cave, the tour guide says it is millions of years old.
Last edited by psalm126mama on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:02 am

Mama Mirabelle - Free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

It is a children's National Geographic show. It is part cartoon, part real footage. Mama Mirabelle is an elephant who teaches the younger animals. We had never seen any episodes of this show before and thought it was very cute and appropriate. Here's the amazon description -

Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies Season 1, Ep. 7 "I Spy / Eyes, Nose, Ears, and Trunk"

Bo, Max, and Karla play a game of "I Spy" and find out how to slow down and see a whole new world. With the help of a new friend, the kids learn about their special senses.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

On Netflix Streaming -

Sid the Science Kid:The Bug Club, Episode 3 - "The Big Sneeze" - "Sid's parents tell him to wash his hands to keep away germs -- but he can't see any on his hands. After learning that germs are too small to see, Sid and his chums discover that washing their hands with soap and water is a great way to stay healthy."
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st

jackamomma

Re: unit ideas

Unread post by jackamomma » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 am

Janie wrote:Author: Janie
Date: 10/25/2001 7:03 am PDT

Hearing: Set up an ear for the children to crawl through.
You draw a large ear lobe on a piece of butcher paper or end roll (you can sometimes get end rolls from your local newspaper for free), cut a hole in it large enough for them to fit through, tape it to the back of 2 chairs. Construct a tunnel out of blankets (or use a toy tunnel) this is the auditory canal. Then place a real drum at the end of the tunnel (for the ear drum) behind the drum place a hammer (real or plastic) for the Hammer. Lay one metal cookie sheet overlapping another one, and touching a seashell filled with water. The metal sheets are the anvil and the stirrup, the seashell is the cochlea. Have them strike the cookie sheet that is farthest away from the shell with the hammer. The vibrations should vibrate the water in the shell. The kids have just had a great time and followed the path of a sound wave.
Thank you for posting the crawl through ear idea! I did this yesterday with my son and he loved it! In fact, the ear is still set up in the living room. I think I am going to create a crawl through nose next. (Too bad it is cold outside, or we could use the slip n slide! ;) )

tnsunshine3

Unread post by tnsunshine3 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm

For day 2 activities I found an online game to play matching sounds
http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/games/sound/

(note if your child wants to play the game again as mine did you will have to close the page and reopen it :)

vanderhoof

US book

Unread post by vanderhoof » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am

A wonderful book for US is Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body by Tish Rabe. It is a Cat in the Hat Learning Library book and is great! Tons of info about our bodies in typical Dr. Seuss rhyming fashion.

There are other books in the series about Dinosaurs, Trees, Insects, Butterflies etc. as well.