4th grader - 1850-MOD

doubleportion

4th grader - 1850-MOD

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am

kase wrote:Has anyone used 1850-MOD with a 3rd and 4th grader? I just finished Adv. with my two girls (ages 8 and 9). In order to combine my home studies with our homeschool Christian Academy curriculum (which will be using MFW read alouds, etc.), I have decided to do MFW 1850-MOD with my girls who will be in 3rd and 4th grade next year. I have already purchased the curriculum and have been studying it every night to see how I will have to adapt it for an 8 and soon to be 10 year old. I think it ties in well with where Adv. left off and although it is a much heavier work load, I think it will work out great with some adjustments to make it easier for my girls.

I think the following year will be a study of the Ancients, but not sure about this b/c the curriculum is still being reviewed. Any suggestions?
Not much info to add here; but just wanted to be sure that you did get the 2nd and 3rd grade supplement along with your 1850-Mod. You wouldn't want to teach a 3rd grader this time period without it.

:)
Edie

Fly2Peace

Re: 1850-MOD with a 3rd and 4th grader?

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 am

It is a deep and intense year as far as history goes... yes, that supplement makes it all work fine for the youngers, but with the oldest, I think that is a lot. Hmmmm. Since you just did Adventures, you would already have had age appropriate material on American history. What if you use this year to do ECC, and then cycle back in with your group for Ancients the following year? Just a thought. But, I know you say you already have purchased the 1850-Mod...

What happens if you have a life change, and don't do the group? What if you move? Is that the right decision for your children without that group? Just thinking as I type. Don't mean to be offensive in any way.... just pondering, and thinking about what influences all of us as we strive to make the best decisions for our children.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 am

yep. fly2peace and I are thinking the same thing.

I normally do not think that 1850MOD, even with younger supplement, is the right program to do right after Adventures for the ages you have said. Too much workload.

I think in this kind of situation I would consider going with ECC, and just letting co-op be extra and enrichment and not worrying if your co-op, field trips, life whatever, matches exactly with "history topic".
then, the year after that you can be in CTG and the school will be in ancients.

ECC is a twist on "modern history" in some ways given the "current events feels" and "modern information". While the co-op will talk about history of places in that time frame, you're children will be seeing what those places and people are like now and praying for people around the world.

I think doing ECC as your family will complement with co-op doing modern history.

Now on the other hand, if they are planning a 5 year rotation that is just like MFW's 5 year and will go back to a foundational year of world cultures, geography, then I'm sure we can all brainstorm how to scale back using 1850MOD in your situation without overload.

so ask the school how they break up the 5 year rotation. Are they interested in a world geography, missions, culture program and might consider MFW's ECC program for that? why not ask?

-crystal

kase

Unread post by kase » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks for the suggestions I will keep ECC in mind and consider doing it the following year. Most parents do not use a history supplement while attending the christian academy b/c assignments are given weekly that we work on at home. All of our assignments will be from 1850-MOD so I am trying to keep it easier on my girls by staying in that time period. Adding ECC while doing 1850-MOD at "school" would be completely overwhelming. I have read STOTW vol.4 and one thought I had was to "pull out" all the chapters that pertain to American History. That's about 20 chapters in all. I can briefly tie in the history of other countries but only go in depth with the American History chapters. (That's really not as hard as it sounds and much more appropriate for 3rd/4th grade) In addition to learning the states/capitals I also plan on kicking the year off with a study of our state history, including doing a report. (My girls already know most states/capitals from Adv. -yeah!) Any other ideas how I could make this year a success? I so appreciate all of your experience and wisdom.

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Since you are going to be doing that time period in your academy anyway, I think it would be far easier to go ahead with 1850-Modern (*definitely* with the 2nd/3rd grade supplement!), than to try and add a different program on top of the assignments you'll already have from that. Yes, the workload is significantly more than Adventures, and the content is more intense, but if they are studying it *anyway*, I'd think it would be fine.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

kase wrote:Thanks for the suggestions I will keep ECC in mind and consider doing it the following year. Most parents do not use a history supplement while attending the christian academy b/c assignments are given weekly that we work on at home.
something I am still not sure about here. Will your children be studying World History and US history in this school, or just US history from this time frame? my answer might change a bit, but I'm thinking I'm hearing you say they are working on US history only.

so if that's the case.,

If you really need to have them enrolled in a 2 days per week homework giving school, and you really want to "after school" your history using MFW 1850MOD:

*then just focus more on the younger supplement from 1850MOD. Don't even think of dealing with the advanced assignments in history. You are paying someone else to do those kinds of assignment at the school with that school's curriculum.
*rephrasing that: if it gets to be too much to keep up with and you only have to do one or the other, go with the younger assignment since you as a teacher haven't been doing world history with oldest up to now.
*don't stress when the topics don't line up between programs. That will happen.
*enjoy the first part of the 1850MOD year with a lighter feel and time to review capitals and states.
*focus on Bible and science with them.
*I don't know about the read alouds from the deluxe (not supplement) package.
*remember language arts and math on level.
*uhm, what about art? I don't know
*music - do that.

Remember, 1850MOD is written in mind that the oldest child in the family will be older than 4th grade. So to jump from ADV to 1850MOD when oldest is 4th grade means you haven't had a few years to build up the world history alongside it all. It's different than a younger child who folds into the cycle. When we fold in a younger student, we as teachers have taught the world history material already. But this isn't that case with your oldest. So if you are doing it a little different than others in the school, and doing it differently than standard sequence of the curriculum publisher, expect road bumps and be cool with it.

-crystal

kase

Unread post by kase » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely use it. I know we are doing things a little off schedule, but I think that's the best part of homeschooling... it is tailor made for our family. I love MFW and I love our academy ....it is really the best of both worlds. (I just have to work a little harder to make it all fit together...) Thanks again for your support and thoughtful suggestions.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:34 pm

I was thinking of suggestions and came up with these -

(1) Use the SOTW Activity Book instead of the student pages and sometimes even instead of the SOTW stories. The activities usually have good explanations and often go beyond the story. I'm thinking of the Crimean War story vs. the Florence Nightingale activity. My son built a Crystal Palace and made "rifle bullets" out of tinfoil balls in paper towel tubes. Those things will be fun for your age group.

(2) Maybe do all the presidents and spend some extra time on them.

(3) Do all the Bible stories except maybe the last one on "Witnesses to All the World."

(4) You could do the timeline but skip the world history you don't do and add the states and presidents (you could get an extra set of state flags to use for the timeline, and I think I posted on the Ideas board about a place you could get little president silhouettes or something to use for the timeline).

(5) I would think you could do a lot of the other things -- patriotic music, states & capitals songs & games, science.

And I really agree about not trying to make your homeschool line up with your co-op. Even if you are doing the same general time period, it won't all line up, and I encourage you not to fret about that or try to make every topic line up. I used to worry about that, myself. But over the years, my son's been in an ancient history book club while studying modern history, or a middle ages co-op while studying the forming of the constitution. I've realized it's all good stuff and preview/review is the way to truly commit things to memory!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

1850Modern outlining question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Mommyto3boys wrote:I will be starting 1850 Modern in August. I know there are lessons on outlining. I will have a 7th grader and a 4th grader in this program (with my 2nd grader using the younger supplement). Do I have both my 7th grader and 4th grader learn how to outline or just my 7th grader?

TIA,
Debbie in NC
Mom to 3 ds (12, 9, and 7) and 1 dd (4)
Done MFW Adventures, ECC and K, CTG, RTR and K, EX1850
The student sheets with the outlining pages are meant for grades 4-8. The younger student sheets are for grades 2-3. So I suppose you could evaluate whether your 4th grader was on the borderline or not? In general, I think the 4th grader is meant to do the outlining exercises. But not a lot of families are doing 1850MOD with an *oldest* child in 4th grade.

In the manual, when you get to the point where you actual write from the outlines (week 20), there is a sample given for grade 5 and one for grade 8. Reading through those might be helpful in thinking through your different expectations for your different students.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: 1850-Modern with 8th graders and 4th grade?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:56 am

Allison TX wrote:Hi everyone. :) I haven't been on here in a very long time. We used MFW several years ago and have since switched to something else.

I am really leaning toward using 1850-Modern with my 8th graders and 4th grader next year. I almost bought Exp-1850 last summer for all of them, but got cold feet about changing programs, and have regretted not changing all year. Right now my olders are in a different program than my younger and I have a strong desire to combine them, even if it is just for one year.

I think I have decided not to start with ECC because of where we are in the history cycle, and we have never studied modern history. My olders are so excited about finally getting to study modern times. Then the following year the olders will do AHL and the younger can do either ECC or CTG.

How would our days look with two 8th graders and a 4th grader in 1850-Mod? Would too much of the content be disturbing to my younger one? Or too over her head? How much of the core program could she participate in? Also, how long will the Bible and History portion take to complete each day? Will we be missing anything since we didn't use MFW for exp-1850? The two years seem to "go together"? Thanks so much for any help or other ideas. :)

Allison
if you didn't do EX1850, it's going to be fine. There is scheduled, but optional, review at the start of 1850MOD from chapters in the Child. Ency. of Am. History.
Also, you don't have to go back and do the other state sheets or presidents... you can do some President's review easily with the cards.

Content - a general answer since I don't know your 4th grader. The vast majority of it will be fine for 4th grader. If needed, you can have the 4th grader not listen to certain chapters in Story of the World if wars and such are too much. During those times, you have book basket, and can have them read about cultures of the places you are studying. One of my most treasured memories from 1850MOD when I had 6th and 3rd graders was when we were studying post WWII China. I gave picture books of China People, China Places.... to my 3rd grader. I'm doing some study on communism and all of that with oldest. 3rd grader keeps returning to the table in the kitchen. I'm thinking "but no... the manual says this is too much for her..." roll eyes at myself. 3rd grader (she's 13 these days) says "mommy..... I like this book. China is a beautiful place with beautiful people. I want to go there someday and tell them how much Jesus loves them."

you see.... part of Bible time in 1850MOD is that we pray for people around the world. and that's what touched her heart.

I also remember a time in SOTW activity book, that oldest was studying something about David Livingstone and traveling.. There was a fun, quick hands on active style of learning to teach some concept about cargo travel. 3rd grader was able to do that.

I have to logout now...

-crystal

Allison TX

Unread post by Allison TX » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks, Crystal. That helps. It sounds like it will be fine to use with a 4th grader. :)

Allison

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm 2/3 done with 1850MOD right now, with an 8th, 6th and a 9yo doing 4th. It has been fine. He's a little young for 4th, so he's been doing the suppliment as well and only recently started paying attention to the SOTW readings and filling in the outline. I always had him do the maps and any other activity pages and/or activities. Today we were reading about the 3 wars in WWII and he clearly understood about what was going on in the 3 areas. He then proceeded to draw a very detailed drawing of the attack on Pearl Harbor while I read history.

We usually start with Bible and history, since everyone is sitting together. We like to start with the hymn to get everyone in the mood. After history we split up and I work with one at a time on "seatwork" while they alternate playing with little brother (3yo), practicing instruments and doing book basket. Sometimes at lunch we'll watch part of a video from the book list (there are SO many for WWII!) or a section from "America, Story of Us". We usually do science in the afternoon after we've had a bit of a break. I used to do read-alouds at night, but we have many late nights lately, so now I try to do them during they day while everyone is doing kitchen chores after breakfast or lunch. Boy, I sound really organized, don't I! This is all a best-case scenario, of course. Very often it is chaos instead.

It takes anywhere from 45min to 1.5 hrs to do Bible and history, depending on the day and activities and the willingness of my dc to do their work. So far nothing in the spine books has been too graphic for my ds, but then, he's a boy and loves that stuff. His favorite thing to watch on TV is car racing, especially when they crash.

HTH,
Laurie