#17 - Kangaroo

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#17 - Kangaroo

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:14 pm

Lesson #17 Kangaroo

Additional ideas might be located on other boards:
ECC / Australia: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=151

Yschelle

dot painting

Unread post by Yschelle » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:43 am

While looking for coloring pages of kangaroos to print off the internet

(Here is a good site for that http://afunk.com/kangaroo/index.html ),

I discovered Australian Aboriginal dot painting. The technique involves placing small dots of paint together which create patterns and symbols.

Instead of having the girls (age 4 & 6) color their kangaroos with crayons, I decided they would try out the dot painting. We used q-tips and washable paint and I had them follow my example on the kangaroo (brown for the kangaroo body, blue for the sky, green for the grass, yellow for the sun) and then they were allowed to free paint "dot" style. Their 2 year old little sister even participated. It was loads of fun and they turned out beautiful!

Shelly

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Some library books we enjoyed with this unit:

Info book: Bouncy Big and Furry by Moira Butterfield

Kandoo Kangaroo Hops Into Homeschool by Susan Ratner
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too? by Eric Carle
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

ShariD

Kangaroo Puppet Craft

Unread post by ShariD » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 pm

Instead of making the pencil cup, we made a kangaroo puppet from a paper lunch sack. It even had a pocket and a joey. We used brads to attach the arms so the could move up and down. Our 2nd grade neighbor joined us for this craft and all 3 children (my K and 3 yr old) loved it.

The instructions and template are at:
http://www.dltk-bible.com/butterflysong/kangaroo.htm
Shari in Iowa
5th year with MFW (C2G)
teaching Miles (age 10) & Maria (age 7)

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Tue May 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Here's a kangaroo book we enjoyed:

Young Kangaroo, by Margaret Wise Brown

Poohbee

Books and Safety Activity

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Wendy mentioned in a previous post that they used the book Kandoo Kangaroo Hops Into Homeschool. I ordered this book from Barnes & Noble. What a delightful book! There are plenty of fictional books out there about school experiences, but there aren't many about homeschooling. It was wonderful for my 5-year-old dd to hear a book about a character who is homeschooled, just like she is. Also, it contains references to God and his creation and scripture (Phil. 4:13). I highly recommend this book!

Also, since this unit is about being safe in God, I thought it was a perfect time to talk about safety rules. One day, we read the book Officer Buckle and Gloria, by Peggy Rathmann. It won the Caldecott Medal. In this book, Officer Buckle and his dog Gloria go around to schools giving speeches about safety rules...a delightful book! After reading, I asked my daughter to think of 4 safety rules of her own...one each for home, in the car, at the pool, and at the store. I wrote her rules down for her on a sheet of paper, and she illustrated each rule. We made them into a book of safety rules. I was especially pleased that her rule while in a store is "Never leave your parents when you're in a store." We really enjoyed this book and activity.

Jen
wife to Vince since 1999
mom to Grace (5) and Hope (2)

semushlich

Wonderful book for Kangaroo unit - Marsupial Sue

Unread post by semushlich » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:48 pm

We stumbled upon "Marsupial Sue" by John Lithgow. It's a rhyming poem
and comes with a CD that John Lithgow sings himself - there's also an
instrumental version for when you're ready to do it yourselves!

The kids have loved it and it has a nice message. All the while they're
learning a little about marsupials, poetry, and music :)

This is currently their favorite bedtime story, although as they become
familiar with it, they're starting to get rowdy in some parts!

Vic529

Unread post by Vic529 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:32 pm

MolleenCarie

Library book

Unread post by MolleenCarie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:40 am

McGillycuddy Could! by Pamela Duncan Edwards

A kangaroo moves onto a farm, but he is not useful like the cow, sheep, chicken, and rooster. Finally, no one is able to save the duck from the fox except for McGillycuddy!
Colleen, mama to 3 and usually NAK :)

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:21 am

Website with Kangaroo activities, songs, info, crafts, etc. http://australianjoeyscouts1.4t.com/Roo/

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:58 am

Hi! Here are some books that we enjoyed reading about kangaroos.

Non-fiction: A Kangaroo Joey Grows Up by Katie Marsico
All About Wild Animals: Kangaroos by Gareth Stevens
Outside and Inside Kangaroos by Sandra Markle

Fiction: Katy No-Pocket by Emmy Payne
Where are You Blue Kangaroo? by Emma Chichester Clark
What Shall We Do Blue Kangaroo? by Emma Chichester Clark,
Grumble- Rumble! by Siobhan Dodds
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, too? by Eric Carle

Happy reading!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

martinmcash

Charting the jumps

Unread post by martinmcash » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 am

We had a great time measuring the jumps and then charted the jumps in a sketchbook that we keep for each unit. We made a column for how far, for how high and used the kangaroo measurements we found online and then used the measurements from my boys. They were both very excited to see how far they could jump compared to a kangaroo. However, I found that kangaroos can only jump 30 ft. and not 42 as in the teacher's guide. I was wondering where they got this from because the 30 ft was in science books from the library and online. Either way, this was a fun exercise for the boys.

cbollin

Re: Charting the jumps

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm

martinmcash wrote: However, I found that kangaroos can only jump 30 ft. and not 42 as in the teacher's guide. I was wondering where they got this from because the 30 ft was in science books from the library and online. Either way, this was a fun exercise for the boys.
Welcome to the board!

that's interesting in the number difference. Some of the resources I found say that they can jump as long as 40 feet, not 42 or 30. huh??? weird huh???

welcome along anyway. :)

-crystal

martinmcash

Kangaroo

Unread post by martinmcash » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:06 am

My ds is into mapping, so on Day 4, we drew Australia on a big sheet of paper, read a few books on Australia, and then went online and printed out different things Australian and had him paste them on his "map". This was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

We are also reading Kanga and Roo in our Pooh treasury, as well as Doctor Doolittle. They are enjoying these stories!

FreshKid

Re: #17 - Kangaroo

Unread post by FreshKid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:50 am

Today is our last day of "Kangaroo"

These are the books we used:
World Book's Animals of the World: Kangaroos and other Marsupials (if I remember right, this one may mentions some evolution-type stuff)
Animals Should Definately Not Wear Clothing by Judi Barrett (also has elephant and goat in it)
Katy No-Pocket by Emmy Payne
Marsupial Sue presents The Runaway Pancake by John Lithgow (this is the Gingerbread Boy story with a twist)
Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too? by Eric Carle
Where are You Blue Kangaroo? by Emma Chichester Clark
Joey by Jack Kent

:)
Beverly

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:57 am

my autism kid enjoyed watching The Wiggles, Wiggly Safari on DVD. It has a bonus storybook on it called The Lost Joey, and several other bonus parts with kangaroos and other animals.

We did a lot of active play with this unit. My dd got to hop into a laundry basket and have a blanket over her to represent being in a pouch and being safe in God. We listened to the When the Music Stops, we're gonna to hop hop hop (song from the Wiggles). When it came time to demonstrate how far the kangaroo can hop, we can played "Show me Sarah jump", and then for kangaroo and joey jump we picked up her and ran down the hallway. She went back and ran down the hallway on her own while saying I can jump like a kangaroo and then bounced into the laundry basket.

we're enjoying these times even if it is not exactly what is in the manual ;) We've been able to take the structure in the K program and adjust it for her needs. God is awesome!

We did a variation on the craft suggestion for day 2 of the unit. Instead of a pencil cup holder, we made it a coin cup to go along with the new math activities that start in this unit.

I way over simplified this project. Brown construction paper is not easy to find in the packets of school stuff. So, we used a brown paper bag (about lunch bag size). Cut a notch on the front and used that scrap to do our unit badge. then it was a pouch left in the brown bag. Placed a plastic cup in the pouch. So now we have a kangaroo themed coin cup to use for the math time too.
not the best picture quality, but here....
kangaroo cup.jpg
kangaroo cup.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 17162 times

-crystal

spaldingclan

Unread post by spaldingclan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm

We really loved this unit! Some of the things we did:

1. We made the pencil cups using small glass jars covered in brown paper as the pouch. One of my dd's wanted her Kanga to have a joey, so we cut out a small kangaroo and attached him to the from of the pouch. It was really cute.

2. We went outside to measure the girls hops. Each girl chose their own color chalk and first tried hopping from a standstill and marked their landing spot. Then, they got a running start and jumped and marked their landing spot. Finally, we paced off 30 feet (the distance a kangaroo can hop) and marked that spot. What a visual that was for the girls!

3. We drew up a hopscotch board outside on the street and played a game of hopscotch.

4. Our favorite read alouds were the Marsupial Sue books by John Lithgow. Really funny, and the audio CD that accompanies the Marsupial Sue and the Runaway Pancake story is really great.

That's it for now! Happy Hopping!
Kim
**Stars of Grace Academy**
happily married to dh since 1995
mom to 3 outgoing daughters:
dd1 age 14: Freshman at PS
dd2 age 6 1/2: currently in MFW1, finished MFWK
dd3 age 5: currently in MFWK
http://thislittlehouseschool.blogspot.com

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:11 pm

This is what's on our TV at lunch this week... all free streaming with Amazon Prime...

Wonder Pets Season 1 Episode 9 "Save the sea lions/save the Kangaroo"

Sesame Street Season 40 Episode 8 (#4204) - the whole show including Elmo's world is about jumping

Wonder Pets Season 2 Episode 16 "Save the Pangaroo/Save the Cricket"

I also saw that there is a show called "The Life of Mammals" free for streaming with Amazon Prime. Episode 1 mentions kangaroos in the description however we did not have time to watch it, so I don't know how appropriate it is or isn't.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

Yodergoat

Boing!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm

We enjoyed the book "Boing" by Nick Bruel. This is a cartoonish, but cute and funny book about a young kangaroo that is learning to hop. The mother demonstrates how to hop, but the baby can't. Her friends (various other hopping animals) show her how and encourage her to no avail, and eventually a wise koala asks "What is in your pocket?" It is revealed that the baby could not hop because her pocket was loaded down with stuff. The creatures in the story are kind and encouraging to each other. It seems like children's books often show bad attitudes, but this one was sweet.

This book would go well with the Day 5 suggested activity in the 1st edition manual, which talks about discussing other animals that hop. I also used the name of the book and some of the sounds within such as "blomp" and "bloomp" as a way to introduce the concept of onomatopeia, which led us to discuss other "sound words."

We acted out the story using stuffed animals as some of the characters... a baby kangaroo, a koala, a rabbit, a frog. I had to be the mother kangaroo as we only had one stuffed kangaroo. ;) We also used a plastic grasshopper. This turned into a very fast-paced and wacky time, as various creatures hop and exclaim in excitement on each page. We did this outdoors to have more room for all the hopping and boinging. One could almost count acting out this particular book as PE! !!

Another activity that could have easily come from this book is a scavenger hunt. A child could try to find all of the items that the little kangaroo had in her pocket... 1 sock, a candybar, 2 jacks, a toy dinosaur, 3 marbles, a cool rock she found, 4 buttons, another toy dinosaur, 5 crayons, a book about robots, 6 acorns, a drawing of a flower, her piggy bank, ribbons of several colors, a yo-yo, her dolly, a spoon, a feather, a paper clip, her hairbrush and a banana. I thought about initiating a scavenger hunt activity with it... but didn't. Could have been fun. On the page where the little kangaroo dumps her pocket it also has numbers for counting along and words for several colors written in their respective colors, and it also pictures all of the items so a child could look for them to match the words and/or count along. On this page the mother kangaroo has a funny look on her face that I can relate to when my daughter dumps out a purse or tin in which she has been collecting "stuff."

A fun book and a great addition to K-k-kangaroo!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 am

My daughter often asks for a song to go along with the theme. I have been using the internet to find cute, short songs.

Here is what I found for Kangaroo, but I altered it a bit. ;) It originally seemed hard for us to sing to the tune of "This Old Man," so I took out a few words here and there. Also, I wanted it to fit with the theme of "I am safe in God," so I changed a line to refect that.

(to the tune of "This Old Man")

Jump, jump, jump,
goes the kangaroo.

I thought I saw one
but now I see two!

It's a mommy and baby
with his head popping out.

He feels so safe
as they jump about!

The last two lines had read, "He holds on tight... as they jump about." But, we wondered, why would he have to hold on if he is safe in the pouch? Thus the change. I wish I had also changed "Jump jump jump" as well, just because I find it awkward to sing. I think "hop hop hop" would have been easier. But now she has it memorized the other way.

Anyway, a cute little song, I thought.
I'm Shawna...

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I wonder if I am the only one who had trouble visualizing the kangaroo pencil holder activity. :~
Just in case there are others, I thought I'd share our finished project. This was done back in early March, and now in late April, the kangaroo remains in a spot of honor at our table. She is very jaunty and she holds lots of pencils and stuff.

We didn't exactly follow directions, but close.

Gail drew the kangaroo on white cardstock paper because she wanted to pick her own color. I had chosen a photo from a book as a guide for her to look at, suggested the size by making a mark for how tall it should be, and let her draw it on her own. She likes to draw. I traced over her pencil lines afterward with a marker just to make them stand out more. We then picked a color... it turned out a little "orange," but she liked it. She colored the kangaroo with crayons. While wearing her pajamas. Love the freedom of homeschooling!
IMG_0678.JPG
Coloring the recently drawn kangaroo. See the look of open-mouthed concentration.
IMG_0678.JPG (52.54 KiB) Viewed 13607 times
While she was coloring, I was looking for a suitable container for the pouch. I chose a glass horseradish jar... a bit small and skinny but at the right height to be her rather tall kangaroo's pouch. I cut a piece of paper to fit and she colored it the same color. We taped the paper around the jar and we cut out the finished kangaroo. Now I wondered how I would attach the pouch to the 'roo, since the glass jar was heavy and the paper was slick from thick crayon coloring. So I used the wax from a Stikki Clip. It's an awesome re-usable bonding wax, great stuff and worked perfectly. We stuck the paper covered jar to the kangaroo.

But it looked lonely. So Gail drew a little joey, colored it, cut it out and we attached it to the inside front of the jar's rim with tape, like it was peeking out. So even when there is stuff in the pencil holder, you still see the joey.
IMG_0683.JPG
The completed kangaroo and joey. She holds more pencils now!
IMG_0683.JPG (52.89 KiB) Viewed 13607 times
I thought a visual might help the other less imaginative folk out there... folks like me who may ponder how to do this for a long time before her child gets tired of all the hemming and hawing and finally just says, "Okay Momma. Here's the plan. I'll draw a kangaroo, we'll cut it out, we'll put a jar or cup or something on it and it will be finished. You see? Come on, let's do it! Yay, a craft!" Cause that's what mine said. ;)
I'm Shawna...

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm

I found this on mama jenn's page about how she did her version of the kangeroo pouch. We are doing something similar except using the juice cans and we covered them with a brown paper bag lunch sack that I cut in half vertically. I had my kids put a lot of glue on the inside of the paper bag, roll the can in it, stapled the very top, and then folded into the can the little remainder of the paper bag (maybe a 1/4 in.). We painted the print outs and popsicle stick and assembled the rest like mama jenn.

http://www.mamajennblogs.com/2009/10/ka ... craft.html
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)