# 4 - Apple

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

# 4 - Apple

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:21 pm

Lesson # 4 Apple

Karen

Apple igloo snack

Unread post by Karen » Mon May 24, 2004 3:15 pm

Author: Karen
Date: 3/13/2002 8:27 pm PDT

Thought I'd pass along a cute snack idea someone shared with me-

An igloo to make and eat:
Cut apple in half and core. (You can peel or leave skin on.) Cover outside (peel side) with peanut butter or carmel dip and stick on small white marshmallows. Enjoy eating your igloos.

Janie

Fun apple ideas

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 3:22 pm

Author: Janie
Date: 10/14/2001 7:47 pm PDT

Hello, I trust you are all enjoying the wonderful fall season. We are about to start our A-a apple week and so I have been looking for some more things that we can do as a family. I thought I would share some of those ideas with you.

Do you enjoy stamping? You can make a stamp with an apple. Slice the apple in half. Blot cut side on a paper towel to absorb juice. Apply re paint to apple's cut side with brush. Test on scrap paper or fabric to see how hard to press and to see how much paint is needed. Now press your Apple stamp onto the real surface. To finish, paint on green leaves and a stem. Let dry. You can do a t-shirt, book covers, lunch bags...

When I was young, we made apple-head dolls. We took and apple, peeled it and then carved a face into it. Let the apple set and dry out. It will shrivel and turn brown once that is done you can add hair using a cotton call for a women or add a hat to a man. Make clothes with scrap fabric and then add accessories like wire rim glasses, small fishing pole ect... This would make a great Christmas gift for your child's grandparents. Make the dolls to fit their interests.

Have fun enjoying God's gifts to us.
Janie <><

Tuesday D

Apple internet sites

Unread post by Tuesday D » Mon May 24, 2004 3:25 pm

Author: Tuesday
Date: 10/21/2001

Try this link for story ideas:
http://www.hipark.austin.isd.tenet.edu/ ... ja/ja.html

An all around good site
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/apples/

Janie

good book about Johnny Appleseed

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 3:27 pm

Author: Janie
Date: 10/12/2001

I found a book called JOHNNY APPLESEED A POEM BY Reeve Lindbergh. It is very good and the illustrations are great! My sons loved it. It tells the tale of Johnny Appleseed in a rhyming verse. It was fun to read.

R Palazzo

Apple suggestions

Unread post by R Palazzo » Mon May 24, 2004 3:32 pm

Author: R Palazzo
Date: 9/19/2001

My kids loved making apple sauce for the a-a-apple unit. My suggestion is that if you don't have a apple corer/slicer, you might want to invest in one. It made the kids feel more involved in the project. I went to the store and bought 9 different kinds of apples yesterday and today we are going to make apple pie. Then tomarrow or friday we are going to make applebutter.
Another thing I am doing is every other week taking pictures of the kids doing "homeschool" and pictures of their projects. Then I'm getting double pictures and sending some to my in-laws who live in PA. The other copy I am making a scrap book so I don't feel likehave to keep all the projects they have made. With 3 kids doing the projects that is alot of paperwork!
Hope some of the suggestions help!

Lindsay

3 in 1: A Picture of God

Unread post by Lindsay » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:00 am

I wanted to share a book with you that I plan to use when we do our Apple unit. It's 3 in 1: A Picture of God By: Joanne Marxhausen. It uses the 3 parts of an apple to briefly explain the trinity. I found it at Mardel's, a local Christian bookstore. But I have also seen it at www.christianbook.com

Blessings,
Lindsay

ls22221

Apple Unit url

Unread post by ls22221 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 am

Hi all,
I am getting ready to do Apple Unit with my son.
This site has lots of printable pages for little ones:

http://www.waga.org/ed.html

Enjoy your day in My Father's World!
Linda in northern MN
Son in 9th (AHL)
MFW from Kindergarten -- and SO THANKFUL!

Winkie

Apple Books

Unread post by Winkie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Books we enjoyed:

Bearing Fruit - Pat Kirk (about the Fruit of the Spirit)
Johnny Appleseed A Poem by Reeve Lindbergh
Johnny Appleseed - Gini Holland (I really liked this biography & it discusses his Christian faith)
Ten Apples Up On Top - Theo LeSieg/Dr.Seuss
How to Make an Apple Pie & See the World - Marjorie Priceman
Apples Apples Apples - Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
A Tree Is a Plant - Clyde Robert Bulla (also goes with Leaf unit)
The Apple Pie Tree - Zoe Hall (also goes with Nest unit)
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Angelah97

Fruit of the Spirit

Unread post by Angelah97 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:00 pm

I decided to do the extra activity suggested on the fruit of the spirit along with Day 2 since we were talking about it. I needed a really good explanation to go with each of the "fruits". I went to [www.dltk-bible.com] and typed in "fruit of the spirit". It had a great children's version and lots of crafts, recipes, poems and songs. My son loved the song. I also found lots of good printouts on [http://www.waga.org/ed.html], but make sure to print out Apple Senses and the Apple testing sheet that goes along with Day 3 of MFW.

AnointedHsMom

Apple & Johnny Appleseed crafts

Unread post by AnointedHsMom » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:15 am

Here is a link to craft ideas for apples and Johnny Appleseed.

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/miscell ... apple.html
In Christ, Paige
Wife to Adam
Joshua 8 & Jacob 1
MFW K 2006-2007
MFW Adv.2007-2008

Texas Gal

Apple Party

Unread post by Texas Gal » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:40 am

Instead of just going to the grocery store on Day 3 and describing/tasting the apples as described in the TM, have an apple party. After noting the differences between the different kinds of apples, serve them up along with apple sauce, apple pie, apple juice (cold), apple cider (hot), baked cinnamon apples, and any other variety of apples you can come up with. Perhaps also bob for apples before the feast begins.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:29 am

When my children were younger we did this and read about Johnny Appleseed, looked at the map of the places he went, made a pie, took a survey of the apples that people who came liked the best and we also made apple prints. I love theme parties and this one is especially fun in the fall.

Even though my kids are older now we still make apple pie every year in the fall. We live close enough to go pick apples too and we do that each year as well.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

sweetlucyhope

Put the A-a-apple in Apple Pie

Unread post by sweetlucyhope » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi All!

While I visit often and borrow bunches of the posted ideas, this is my first post to this board. I've gotta say that we are love love loving MFW!

I wanted to help my 5 yo DD bake a "from scratch" apple pie with this unit and had a hard picking a good recipe and knowing what to do and how to do it. I'd never baked a fruit pie, from scratch or otherwise before. Here's what we came up with. Here's a link to the recipe we chose.

http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/ApplePie.asp

How we tweaked it to do it our way ...

I bought a ready made 9" deep dish crust and a ready made rolled crust (for the top). We used Granny Smith apples because one of our info books said they were great for baking. We ended up using only 4 of them but I think 5 would have done better. Five will make it look overly full but the apples shrink during cooking.

With four apples we had three layers of apples and three layers of sugar/cinnamon. We also measured out the sugar then stirred in the cinnamon to mix them together well.

We brushed water around the edges of the crust in the pan before laying on the top crust. We cut three small slits in the top of the pie for venting and we baked the whole pie pan on a cookie sheet. It was a good thing because some of the juices did overflow. We baked per the instructions in the recipe and though they seemed kind of strange it worked like magic! We loved it! The G.S. apples were still a bit tart but much better than before baking.

We did this with a 5 yo, a 2 yo and their Mommy and we all had a blast and loved tasting the final product.

Glad to be on this journey with you all in MFW!

Lesa
AKA Trini and Will's Mommy
Deer Park, TX

nhneubauer

Apple Book Reference

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:11 pm

How the Make An Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie Priceman

This book worked really well for us and covered Social Studies too.
For snack we made apple fritters with canned biscuits, apple pie filling,
sprinkled with cinnamon sugar baked in the oven.

Nicole

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Here is a website with apple activities:

http://www.freekidcrafts.com/apple-crafts.html
Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

amylynn12

Recipe for K Apple Unit

Unread post by amylynn12 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:05 am

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:47 am

We are just finishing up the Apple unit in K. We have really enjoyed all the fun activities. It has been fun to read all the great ideas on here and incorporate many of them. I am embarrassed to admit that I am a nightmare in the kitchen and cannot seem to make a decent pie crust, or pie that actually turns out. :( So, we ended up making an apple cake instead.

I just wanted to share the recipe in case there are any other pastry-challenged folks out there, like me. :) I found this recipe in my Grandmother's recipe box and it actually turned out really good and is a new favorite. My 5 year old loved helping make this and was very proud it was a hit. :)

Apple Cake Recipe
*Mix together:
4 Cups of diced, raw apples
2 cups sugar
1 cup of nuts, or raisins
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt and 2 tsp cinnamon

*350 Degrees
Bake 50-60 Minutes in 9X13 pan

Cream Cheese icing:
8 ounces cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1/4 pound butter1 tsp vanilla

Gluten Free Apple Cake Recipe
I usually don't have good luck working with the GF flours, but was very excited to see this actually turn out. :)

*Mix together:
4 Cups of diced, raw apples
2 cups sugar
1 cup of nuts, or raisins
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C All purpose Gluten-Free flour
1/2 C Tapioca flour
1 tsp Xanthan gum
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt and 2 tsp cinnamon

*350 Degrees
Bake 50-60 Minutes in 9X13 pan

Cream Cheese icing:
8 ounces cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1/4 pound butter1 tsp vanilla

Blessings!
Amy Lynn

LizCT

Unread post by LizCT » Fri May 02, 2008 12:09 am

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:54 pm

Like AmyLynn, I am also pastry challenged. Despite my pastry challenge, last year I led our coop (12 kids 9 and under) in making apple pies using roll-out pie crusts. There was no way that we were going to have all of those kids play with flour - at least not at my house (the pictures would have been great though).

The kids put the roll-out crust into the pan and measured and mixed all of the ingredients and put the pie together. They turned out great and the kids were so excited to be able to have a pie they made after dinner that night!

Liz in CT

Buttercup78

Aa Apple - Fruit poster

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:10 am

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:44 am

We didn't have any magazines around to cut out fruit and my 3yo who tags along with K can't draw real well, so I googled free clipart and found many coloring-book-type pictures of fruit. I copied and pasted them into a document, printed it out and had the kids color and cut out the fruit to make their poster. We also used it as a listening and obeying lesson, as I would say "Color the banana Yellow" so they had to find the right color and fruit. FUN!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:09 pm

MFW K and Autism -- apple unit

We sang a song together. Lots of language and play therapy with our apples.

Way up high in the apple tree (stretch your arms up way high)
2 little apples smiling down at me (make your 2 fists smile at child)
I shook that tree as hard as I could (shake your arms fast)
And down (smack your hands on the ground) came the apples
Hmmm, (pretend to eat them) they sure tasted good (rub your tummy)

We spent several days looking at pictures of fruit in the grocery ads and then talking about our Holy Spirit fruit.
My daughter read the words to me: If I stay in Jesus I will have much fruit.

For a brief moment, I enjoyed the blessings of delayed echolalia.

Thank you Father!!!!

-crystal

jenniferblake

Quick apple recipe that is YUMMY and easy

Unread post by jenniferblake » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 pm

First off, this came from the website of the pioneer woman, who you can google and find rather easily. It is on her pioneer woman cooks page- just search there. I won't link because I am not sure if it's okay to link to her from here- but I will say that the site is clean (with the exception of some agricultural humor involving cows on occasion.) and she is also a homeschooling mom. You can lose yourself on her site- and she has some amazing recipes... all with photos of each step of the way through the preparation process. I'm gushing, but enough said.

This is for an easy Apple Brown Betty and requires very little finesse or kitchen experience. It is great with ice cream, and you can make it as large or as small a quantity as you want. That's flexibility. I usually make a much smaller quantity (enough for two) and guess at the amounts. I also add raisins on occasion or use raisin bread that is going stale.

Pioneer Woman’s Apple Brown Betty

3 apples, preferably Granny Smith
7 slices wheat bread
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) regular/salted butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons water

Peel apples and slice them. Slice bread into a small dice, or tear into very small pieces. Coat baking dish with butter, then add 1/3 of the brown sugar, 1/3 of the apple slices, and 1/3 of the breadcrumbs. Repeat twice more, ending with breadcrumbs. Slice butter and lay slices all over the top of the bread crumbs. Sprinkle dish with water and a little more brown sugar, and bake in a 375-degree oven, covered in foil, until done—about 45 minutes. Remove foil in last few minutes of baking to brown the top.

Don't blame me if you get addicted to her site or this recipe. Also, her apple dumplings are TO DIE FOR!

2mymasuly

Apple Unit Field Trip Idea

Unread post by 2mymasuly » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:16 pm

My daughter and I went to tour/visit an apple orchard shortly before this unit study. It was a great activity to see the orchard and watch the process of making apple cider. It was a wonderful "hands-on" experience to pick our own apples from the tree too. Plus, they were quite yummy.

Here are some of the books that we enjoyed for the Apple Unit:

Apples by Gail Gibbons
Apple Cider Making Days by by Ann Purmell
Be a Friend to Trees by Patricia Lauber

God Bless!

Heather[/code]

Dorothysodeep

Unread post by Dorothysodeep » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:44 pm

There is a great cartoon of johnny appleseed on youtube. Its from the 40's so its not politically correct, but it is awesome!!! It even has the "so i thank the lord" song (3 or 4 verses) It is so cool...there are 2 parts (it starts with an intro thats kind of lame.)
just search Johnny appleseed.

fyonaf

Re: # 4 - Apple

Unread post by fyonaf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 am

Books we enjoyed:

Apples, Apples, Apples by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace (even has an applesauce recipe in it and an apple song)
Amazing Apples by Consi Powell (every page is an acrostic about apples)
Apples to Oregon by Hopkinson and Carpenter (a tall tale in same era as Johnny Appleseed; a family moves fruit trees in a covered wagon to Oregon)
A Tree is a Plant by Clyde Robert Bulla (used for leaf and apple units since the tree featured is an apple tree)

The Johnny Appleseed book by Aliki that's recommended in the curriculum is a great one!

Melissa

Re: # 4 - Apple

Unread post by Melissa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 pm

My MIL recently found a perfect book for 'Aa Apple' at a yard sale. It is called 3 in 1: A Picture of God. I read it to my son this morning and it's so awesome! They have it on Amazon, but you might check your local library too.
3 in 1: A Picture of God, Joanne Marxhausen (Author), Ed Koehler (Illustrator), Benjamin Marxhausen (Illustrator)

Hope this helps someone!

Melissa

P.S. While it goes really well with the apple week, I highly recommend reading it anytime.