1850-MOD - Weeks 3 & 4

If you are using 1850 to Modern Times, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

1850-MOD - Weeks 3 & 4

Unread post by Marie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:39 pm

1850-MOD - Weeks 3 & 4.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 am

How neat was this?

Today we are on 1850-MOD week 3, day 2. It just "so happens" that my oldest was also on lesson 202 of Intermediate Language Lessons. The art history lesson from God and the History of Art that is scheduled uses the same picture study as her ILL lesson.

So, if you are doing 1850-MOD, take a look forward or back for that ILL lesson.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 am

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Just wanted to share how something went in our science today (week 4, day 2). We did the experiment with frozen slushy stuff and had a lot of water left over in the bowl. Before tossing the extra water we used it to do the siphoning experiment that is listed two days later (week 4, day 4). And knowing my kids, they'll do the siphon experiment on day 4 as well.

Instead of plastic tubing, we just used a plastic bendable straw and it worked fine.

Hope that helps someone, it was Oldest's idea on her own without even knowing the experiment was in the book. The bowl for the other experiment was "too heavy" to easily pour it off so she wanted to drain some of it without tilting it. Just neat how it worked out.

My Oldest just reminded me that she and I wanted to share a little something else from today's science.

One of the experiments uses a straightened out paperclip. Instead of bending a paperclip, we used a metal handle from a restaurant Take Out box. If you just happen to have one on the day you do that experiment, keep that in mind. (Those kinds of boxes are available in craft and party supplies sections of stores as well.)

--crystal and her dd#1

Susan on the Space Coast

Fun with Science

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:20 am

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:38 am

We're having fun with our science experiments.

We thought about doing the DNA model with candy -- an Usborne quicklinks activity, not assigned in the MFW plans. But we aren't familiar with the types of candy they used. Besides, my oldest is going to get braces soon and already has an appliance in her mouth, so she can't have sticky things. Then who would be left to eat all of that candy?

Take care!

Julie in MN

Re: 1850-MOD - Weeks 3 & 4

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

Week 3 - Patriotic song
We liked singing this one along with the 1850MOD CD, but in case you're looking for more versions, the teacher's guide tells you (once you get to that point) that this song is actually called "America" and not "My Country 'Tis of Thee" -- I found we had more versions around the house, once I realized the name thing.

Week 3 - Crystal Palace (optional)
My son wanted to see a picture of the real Crystal Palace that looked more like the one he made this week using the SOTW Activity Guide (the timeline piece is at a different angle so it didn't quite look like the model he made). We found a couple:
- online at http://soa.syr.edu/faculty/bcoleman/ARC ... bhouse.jpg
- in the book from DK, The Story of Architecture, by Glancey

Week 3 - Victorian Era games
We went on a field trip to a local Victorian Era home. The handout from our field trip has some easy children's games that were played in this era. You can google "victorian parlor games" and find lots of them, or try http://www.mnhs.org/places/sites/arh/pr ... evisit.pdf (scroll to pages 14-17)

Week 3 - Preparation - heads up!
I don't know why I missed this, but just in case it will help someone else... This Thursday is the first time you do something "out of order" in SOTW and I missed it. I continued just reading the next chapter & we did half the activities before I realized that something didn't fit. This particular chapter isn't done until several weeks later! Keep an eye out for the first time the order changes in SOTW!

Week 3 - Fun fact to share re: rifle
While ds was making the Enfield rifle project, when he had to pull the index card out with his teeth, I reminded him of a fun fact we learned when touring our local Fort: One major medical requirement for being a soldier was that you must have at least 2 teeth -- in order to open the cartridge!

Weeks 3 & 4 - Florence Nightingale & medical records activity
We read about Florence in week 3, but we started the medical records activity on Monday of week 4 & did it all week. My son had trouble remembering who Florence was and what the Crimean War was, so every day before doing the medical records chart, I read a chapter from a book I had on Florence. I just read chapters 6-9, focusing on Florence & the Crimean War, not the whole book. We looked at the map in the book & at our placemat map, so he could keep locating Crimea. By the end of the week, he had it all straight in his mind.

Florence Nightingale,
God's Servant at the Battlefield

by David R. Collins,
The Sowers series

For the medical records activity in SOTW, ds just loved doing the 50 jumping jacks every day, & taking his pulse before & after. We happen to have a blood pressure machine at home, and that shows pulse as well. You might see if you can borrow a BP machine from your parents or something, since it adds a little learning to the activity. We even figured out where the air goes in & out of the machine...
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Any cooks able to help?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Any cooks able to help?

We're making lemon poppyseed cake from 1850MOD. It says to bake for 70-80 minutes (wow!) and doesn't say what temp to bake it at. I'm seeing a lot of 325 degrees in online recipes, but none are in the oven that long.

The 1850MOD recipe book tries to do things authentically, and this is Victorian era, so I don't know if the recipe is different than modern ones... (And all the others we've done don't have any errors.)

Not a cook here...

Follow-Up:
Okay, the recipe was really for "bread" -- see how bad a cook I am! We followed [Dawn's?] advice on the temp & cooked it for the full 80 minutes.

We thought it was so-so at our house, and the other homeschool gal who did the U.S. cooking book with my ds thought it was her favorite recipe in the book!
Last edited by Julie in MN on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhudson

Re: Any cooks able to help?

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Hey Julie,

I took a quick look at allrecipes and most of their lemon poppyseed cakes were baked at 350 for 40 min so I would think a cake baked for 70 min would have to be 325.

&) &) &)
we bought one of those bags of mixes instead of make from the recipe.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

MayDay767

Unread post by MayDay767 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:02 pm

Oops! The temperature didn't come forward with the replies. So I know to bake it for 80 minutes, but still don't know the temp. Please help, we're almost ready to bake. :)

Lori
Lori D

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:45 pm

MayDay767 wrote:Oops! The temperature didn't come forward with the replies. So I know to bake it for 80 minutes, but still don't know the temp. Please help, we're almost ready to bake. :)

Lori
I'd guess the discussion started on the general board and got moved and.....
I don't know what I said long ago....

given the recipe....
I'd be inclined with 325 degrees for 70-80 minutes with a loaf pan.
or
350 and drop the time to 50-60 minutes.

or better yet -- go with Dawn's advice. She's smarter than I am.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:12 pm

You know, that was my post, and I wonder if I meant to write "Dawn's advice"?? I'm pretty sure 325 would be what we used, and 80 or MORE minutes, as I recall.

I hope you post your more accurate results here for everyone else!
Julie

MayDay767

Unread post by MayDay767 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 pm

We did bake it at 350 and it was probably around 60-70 minutes. I kept adding more time because I could tell it wasn't done. I'm not sure how long it ended up in the oven. I should have kept better track. &)

Lori D in MN
Lori D

Julie in MN

100 Science experiments ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:00 am

tiffany wrote:on pg. 88 for the seeing DNA experiment, do you need denatured alcohol for this to work correctly? I've checked 2 pharmacies, no luck. They said to check a hardware store. I'm trying to find out if I can just use regular rubbing alcohol or not.
Tiffany,
I haven't done the experiment (ds was doing 7-8th grade science at the time), but if you need it, denatured alcohol is used for things like paint thinner and some camping stoves. As I understand it, it's just alcohol treated to be more yucky. And I wonder if regular alcohol would work the same? If you try it, let us know how it turns out.
Julie

cbollin

Re: 100 Science experiments ?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:54 pm

I remember this...
we got denatured alcohol from hardware store. Julie's right -- it's the camping stove stuff... I was disappointed with how much of the stuff I had to buy at hardware store. such a friendly neighborhood store too.... it's not it cost much. maybe 3 dollars. but.... it was just so much of it and I didn't know what to do with the rest.... Then, ended up taking the unfinished stuff to the haz mat disposal in the county before we moved to a new state.

regular rubbing alcohol did not work with the instructions in the 100 science exp. book for us with onion. We tried both b/c I knew someone behind us would have this question. It worked, but sorta, but sorta not..

however, last night in apologia biology (and I almost got on here last night and talked about this.....) If you want to skip this experiment and just wait until Biology, you'll get a better result in my opinion. You can just skip the 100 Science experiment, and just use the internet links that are given to get alternate ideas. And just wait until Apologia Biology, module 7. oh wow the results we go with split peas and rubbing alcohol and all of that......

if you have apologia biology, check module 7, experiment 1. That produced a lot of results. But it's not results that show up well in microscope. too big for that. really wild experiment and it was with rubbing alcohol, but there was meat tenderized involved too........

I wonder if adding meat tenderizer would help with the onion????? [see below]

-crystal

123abcmom

Re: 100 Science experiments ?

Unread post by 123abcmom » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm

We got our denatured alcohol at Home Depot-in the paint section-it cost $6. for the can and personally I didnt see any big deal w/ the experiment as far as the results-would have done better to have saved the $6. and just watched some internet link stuff-that being said my husband said he thinks we can make a glass cleaner w/ the leftover alcohol-we will see-if not its off to teh haz mat collection--

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

week 3 dna extraction.

yes you can use rubbing alcohol for this experiment. It does not have to be denatured.

It think there is an important ingredient and step missing in the usborne 100 science experiment on p. 88

so on page 88, you will want to add a step 4.5 before adding the rubbing alcohol, add in several pinches of meat tenderizer and ever so slightly "stir" it in - don't over stir.
then go to step 5.

However, I would recommend using split peas instead of onion and follow this directions. It is my opinion, that it works much more dramatically with split peas than with onion. If I had not done the split peas, I would not even recognize the dna strands that much in the onion water solution. But it does work.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... ion/howto/

You'll get this fun experiment again in Apologia Biology, module 7.

have fun!

-crystal

Tracey in ME

Story of The World review questions -- as a worksheet?

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Winni wrote:Has anyone ever had their child do these questions in the activity book by writing them down (not orally)? I am wanting to do this and finding it a pain to type them all up. Please tell me that someone somewhere has already done this and I can use theirs....?
Actually, I just found out that http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933339020 exists and bought it! Problem solved. ;)
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

SimplyKim

Re: Story of The World review questions -- as a worksheet?

Unread post by SimplyKim » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 am

I've used those with my oldest. I think the Peace Hill Press store sells downloadable versions as well. :)
Married to a wonderful DH and mother to:
DD 13 SL Core 6 & LA, MOH 2, Astronomy, TT Pre-Algebra, Grammar Ace, Wordly Wise
DS 11 & DD 9 ECC, Spectrum English & Spelling, TT 4 & 5,
Everybody Rosetta Stone Italian

HSmommi2mine

Re: Story of The World review questions -- as a worksheet?

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

The tests are not the same as the review questions but they may serve your purposes just fine. I have some typed up for SOTW 3, but not every chapter.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

cbollin

Family Ties Experiment Alternatives for Adoption Familie

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:55 am

Calicokat7 wrote:DNA of an onion is doable.

But the Family Tree is going to be difficult as none of us are genetically related. It's p. 89 in 100 Science Experiments

Does any one have alternative suggestions?
couple of things..

on the DNA experiment, maybe this has been updated over the years, but there was something missing in the Usborne book or something.. here, read this before you start
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 011#p66483

on the other one... options include
1. skipping it. it will be ok to skip it.

2. use the internet links for the book and do something else. see if any of those are things you'd like to do.

found the book... Ideas... at least talk about the information presented even if you don't do the activity of family tree with eye color.

for the fun of it.... do activity 4 with each child and have fun with that part. don't' worry on who you got it from. it's fun to do that one.

on the eye color activity.... what about this? what if you cover up people on the family tree pictures shown on p. 89 and ask your children to predict how the eye color is there?
instead of it being about your chart... do predicting and guessing from the chart and pictures shown.

do any of those ideas sound good? or am I offending adoptive families and not knowing it? hoping families with adoption chime in, now that holiday weekend in US has finished... to help a bit...... for those not familiar with the activity..
it is about eye color genes, not about making ancestry tree data on names, and such...

momma2boys

Re: Family Ties Experiment Alternatives for Adoption Familie

Unread post by momma2boys » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, we are only on RTR this year so haven't done that activity yet.

I'd just skip it. Or maybe do one of those eye color charts with a made-up family so they can practice how to figure it out. I loved doing those eye color charts back when I was in jr high. :)
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

MelissaB

Pres. Franklin Pierce

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

The Biography.com site has a brief but very informative video on Pres. Franklin Pierce.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

klewfor3

What is the memorization project in wk3 of 1850-MOD

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:26 am

klewfor3 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:25 am
The teachers manual gives an optional Memorization Project from SOW on Thursday in wk 3. I can't find what it is in the notes or SOW activity book? Did anyone else do this?
Lol! I found it...it was in the next square down on the grid under SOW Activity book. Its one of those days ;)
Julie in MN wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:40 am
LOL, glad you found it! You made me curious and I had to look :) I see how the English assignment connects down to the History one. Have fun with the Charge of the Light Brigade, if you do that option!

In high school, we listened to it online here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... zCOL6ewpPw
Thanks Julie! That was a great link. I offered the poem as "extra credit"....if they chose to memorize it, they might get a little money to spend ;) My 5th grader might give it a go....her older brother quickly passed with a "no thanks!" :-) He hasn't ever quite gotten on-board with my 'love of learning' vision. What a journey this is!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)