# 2 - Moon

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
MuzzaBunny

Re: # 2 - Moon

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm

These are the books we have enjoyed for M-m-Moon:

What is the Moon - Chris Arvetis (If your library has this Just Ask series it is not to be missed. Excellent little books with just the right amount of information.)
Magic School Bus - Lost in the Solar System - Joanna Cole (Perhaps too much info and needs some editting, but dd stayed with it until the end.)
The Moon Comes Home - Mary Jo Salter
The Moon Shines Down - Margaret Wise Brown (Beautiful, Christian book. DD's favotite this unit.)
So That's How the Moon Changes Shape - Allan Fowler 523.3 (Very good)
Moondance - Frank Asch
Mooncake - Frank Asch
Happy Birthday, Moon - Frank Asch
Moongame - Frank Asch
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me - Eric Carle
The Moon - Melanie Chrismer 523.3
Little Bear - Else Holmelund Minarik
Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise Brown
Can't You Sleep, Little Bear? - Martin Waddell
Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep - Debbie Trafton O'Neal
By the Light of the Moon - Sheridan Cain

Love the library!!
Bunny

zhanderson

Unread post by zhanderson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:02 pm

We made Lottie Moon Cookies today (recipe on Cooks.com). We talked about Lottie Moon sharing her light for Jesus in China, and then delivered the cookies to our neighbors - to shine a little light on them.

zhanderson

Unread post by zhanderson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Sing "This little light of mine" - and shine your light till Jesus comes!

carissa

Library for K!

Unread post by carissa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Yodergoat wrote:I decided to try out our neighboring town's library for our first unit of MFW K. A nice, big new building. Not a single ONE of the recommended children's books or non-fiction books were there, out of a dozen choices! Not even ONE! 8O Any suggestions? (aside from ordering the literature package)
Awww...what a disappointment! :( (((Hugs))) I was looking back at my notes about the books we enjoyed adding to the first weeks of MFW-K. Maybe some of this info would be helpful...

M-m-moon
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Happy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch
Moongame by Frank Asch
Corduroy, Lost and Found by Don Freeman - Corduroy mistakes the the moon for a yellow lollipop
Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle
The Night the Moon Blew Kisses by Lynn Manuel -- about walking at night with Grandma when it starts snowing
The Crimson Comet by Dean Morrissey -- great illustrations, kids pretend to go fix the mechanical moon
If You Decide to Go to the Moon by Faith McNulty -- excellent
All About the Moon (Schlessinger video) grades K-4
Moon by Steve Tomecek -- great!
Night Light: A Book About the Moon by Dana Meachen Rau

Week after week we found the following authors to have great on-topic books: Allan Fowler, Gail Gibbons, Jane Burton, and Ellen Pascoe (Nature Close Up series).

Maybe the librarians will warm up after seeing you several times. Or, if you ask them for help finding appropriate books, they might feel good about their expertise. Anyway, I hope your next visits go better. :) Oh, and after re-reading your posts, it's a good thing that's not the ONLY library you have access to!
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:20 pm

Mister Roger's Neighborhood on Amazon on demand - free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

Season 4, Ep. 7 "Celebrations (#1562) A Visit to a Planetarium"

"Mister Rogers takes a field trip to a planetarium where he sees a sky show. He and Chuck Aber play basketball in the backyard, and remind viewers that trying, not just succeeding, deserves to be celebrated."
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

kacairo1

Unread post by kacairo1 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Current Phases of the Moon Calendar website:

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phas ... ndar.phtml
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

HouseofCockrell

Unread post by HouseofCockrell » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm

Here is a website that allows you to print a free, blank calendar with spaces to chart the phases of the moon for any month you choose! My husband and ds are doing this as a "guy's" project. It's a great way for my husband to be involved in school because they can fill the chart out in the evenings before bedtime!

http://sciencenetlinks.com/interactives ... sheet.html
I'm Lauren married to my best friend, Mark, since 2005.
Mommy to ds, born 2008 and dd, born 2011.
Once upon a time, I began a teaching career, then left to be a stay-at-home mom. That's when my education really began...:-)

bluemountainmama

Unread post by bluemountainmama » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 am

Our favorite book from this unit was Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca.

If you live anywhere near Washington DC a trip to the Air and Space Museum is fabulous. We saw the free planetarium show about an imaginary moon trip (Fridays at 10:30), saw the Columbia from the Apollo 11 mission, touched a moon rock, saw "Buzz" Aldrin's space suit and so much more. There is also a really neat scale model of the planets and their moons. The kids also enjoyed the planet walk that starts outside the museum. It shows how far each planet is from the sun. The kids had a blast running from planet to planet and it really helped them see how close the inner planets are compared the the gas giants and pluto.

We also enjoyed making "moon sand". Just mix 8 cups of flour with a cup of baby oil. It takes a few minutes of mixing to get to the right consistency. Warning: This stuff is MESSY. Also don't try to vacuum it it. The baby oil causes it to clump up inside the vacuum parts. (On the brighter side, I now know how to take my vacuum apart and put it back together.)

Lianna1

Unread post by Lianna1 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 pm

We had so much fun with this unit!

Light of Christ: We went into our bathroom and shut the door. Then we used a flashlight angled at the mirror to reflect light onto the wall showing how we can reflect the light of Christ.

Moon phases: We made round sugar cookies and then melted chocolate. We used the chocolate to "paint" the part of the moon not reflecting light from the son for each of the phases. So fun and yummy too!!