Singapore - Tests & grades?

Lucy

Singapore - Tests & grades?

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:25 pm

triadpeas wrote:I am a new MFW user and I use most of their recommendations including Singapore math. My question is, are there any tests available for SM? I have seen Federal Test Papers mentioned from time to time. Do I need them?

I would like a way to give grades, although I'm still struggling with whether I should or not.

Thanks in advance...
Hi,
I do not know what levels you are starting on and I have not used anything below 3B so it may be different.

At the end of each section or unit they have the practice. I use this as a test for my kids. I grade only these pages to use as a guide to see how well they are doing without me helping them (I need that more than they do probably):). There are also reviews. Whereas the practice page covers the unit that has just been covered, reviews cover everything that has been covered up to this point in the Primary Singapore Series (which is what we are using).

The first one of the year I do not usually grade since it may have been awhile since they have done some of that math and need some reteaching. But the others in the year as grade and so this gives a good picture of how well they are retaining old as well as new information.

Now as far as grades I started giving grades to my 7th grader in science and math last year as well as spelling. My son who is 2 years younger wanted some grades, too. He is very competitive. So I grade his math and spelling and some of his science. I really try to only talk about a grade with that student so as to cut down on the comparrison thing. I think it is just up to you if you want to give grades. I will have to give grades in high school so I wanted my kids to begin to get used to that before it high school.

Lucy
Last edited by Lucy on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

triadpeas

Singapore Tests

Unread post by triadpeas » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Thank you for your reply.

That is a very good idea. I think I will try it.

Thanks again!

cbollin

Singapore Math

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:22 pm

gratitude wrote:My ds7 is loving his Singapore math, and it is going well.

I have one question: Are there any tests to make sure he is learning and retaining the information we are going over? I know he is understanding the concepts by the way he brings it up during non-math time. I also know though that tests will bring to light how much he is really retaining and learning, and how easily it it coming for him and where any problem areas might be.
Are there any Singapore tests available somewhere, or tests someone else has used with Singapore?

Blessings,
Carin
well, it's a lame answer, but what about using the Reviews as "quizzes" or tests just to make sure? You can always go back and re do the end of unit "practice/reviews" from the textbook.

I'm sure there are better ways.

Fly2Peace

Re: Singapore Math

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:39 pm

another thing to keep in mind, with Singapore they do continue to build, move to a slightly different skill set, then come back around to the original on a higher level, so you WILL see if they are retaining as you continue to go through.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I liked using the textbook reviews in order to watch my child and see any areas that needed reteaching.

After those, I think there were usually some kind of reviews in the workbooks? I'd have to go look. Maybe those would work, too?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Great Answers (ALL of them)! Thank you. :-)

Julie in MN

Grading using Sinapore Math

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:27 pm

yvonneh wrote:Just wondering for those using Singapore Math, what constitutes an official "test"? I'm planning to work my oldest through most of level 2B the rest of this summer before our official year begins, so I have gone through MFW's plans, the textbook and workbook. Both text and workbooks have reviews...are those "tests"? I did read through some older threads on grading. I think I need to keep some sort of progress report, although I understand it is most mastery-based.

Then, in order to move forward, she has to score 80% or above on the placement test. Do I have her re-take the 2B placement test or just score the final review in the workbook?

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne,
Most elementary schools don't use letter grades but instead have 2 or 3 general levels along the lines of "needs improvement" or "satisfactory," with sometimes a third level called "outstanding" or "excellent." I've even seen it just labeled 1, 2, and 3. If you really need to, you could make those evaluations yourself and then convert them to A, B, and C, or whatever. I've been to many student conferences over the years I had public schooled kids, and teachers really do wing it and don't tend to have little assignment books until middle or high school.

The reviews in Singapore are "tests" in that they tell you, the teacher, whether the student needs more work or is ready to move forward. You could use them for your records, if needed.

You do not need to do the placement test any more after starting Singapore. You simply move forward in the books, or continue to review topics where you see a need. I suppose a before/after comparison of the same test could be used for evaluations, too, but these were quite long and unhappy for my ds ;)

When or if you need a break, you can do extra math facts study, math games, or other math materials and "hover" in place for a while, then continue forward.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mom2theteam

Re: Grading using Sinapore Math

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:26 pm

I don't really use the reviews as tests. I pick and choose which sections of the review to assign based on what my child needs to review. Generally speaking, I don't really give tests. I know what they know because I'm working directly with them. I don't give grades at this point.

However, I do have my kids (only 1 so far, but 5 more to come ;) ) take the placement tests at the end of each book. It's like an exit exam. They get 2 tests a year (assuming 2 books a year). I do this just to make sure they know their stuff and that I'm not missing some deficiency before moving on. These are the only "tests" they take. I don't really think they are needed, but I think they are helpful and they get the kids ready for test taking....even though they have quite a while until they need to be familiar with it. Anyway, that is what we do. :)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Mom2theteam

Re: Grading using Sinapore Math

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:34 am

bobby wrote:Some times tests are important even thought you know what you are teaching to your students and how they are studying but tests system is always good in order to get require results. Where as i remember that you do not actually need to do the placement test any more after starting Singapore.
Nope, you don't need a "placement test." I don't use it as a placement test. I use it as an end of semester exam, a final exam, exit exam, whatever you want to call it, to double check they know their stuff before moving forward. No need for me to buy the tests or make tests when I can use their free placement test that covers everything in the book we just did. Many Singapore users do this. But, of course, there are many other ways too...some buy the actual tests, some don't test at all. Whatever works for you. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along