CTG book ideas, favorites

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
Julie in MN

Re: Readers (esp. for CTG)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 pm

Have you noticed the chapter books in the book basket list? Often book basket lists chapter books by week, or by topic.

I know in CTG, there is not as much "appropriate" literature about the ancients as in other years. Don't worry, there's lots to come in future years. But there were at least some chapter books in the CTG book basket -- I remember Rosemary Sutcliff and a few others. If you run out, then it might be a good year to just read regular classics, like the Patricia St. John books scheduled as read-alouds, since there are fewer good stories about ancient civilizations. Or a time to just follow a child's interests. I remember one year my ds just wanted to read "funny" books, and another when he wanted "mysteries" like Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown. We've also kept reading more of the YWAM missionary bios over the years (saving the ones that are scheduled in later MFW years).

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

my3sons

Unread post by my3sons » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Charlene, Very helpful. Thank you!

Julie, I am aware of those and perhaps I can do a better job of utilizing them ... I put the book basket books on hold the week before we need them. I am often in a rush when I do that and am not aware that they are chapter books until I actually get them and by that point, ds is already into another chapter book and so it gets returned without being read. If I plan a bit better, I could use the chapter books in the book basket list. It would be great if those were noted in the TM notes as a heads up!

I do really appreciate that there is the notice in the book basket list if a particular book is better for older readers.
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Just want to add my vote for the Patricia St John Books that are not scheduled in the cycle!!

Some that come to mind are Rainbow Garden and Secret at Pheasant Cottage. Where The River Begins is for a little older child. But you could get it and decide if your dc is ready for it now. My dd wasn't IMO so I tucked it away for another year. Good book though!

The Matt books by Brian Davis are good too.

:)
Edie

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:08 pm

I bought an 'Ancients' readers package from Winterpromise to go with CtG - it comes with a schedule - my ds really liked most of the books.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

Crystallea

Unread post by Crystallea » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I just went to Amazon and bought a selection of books and found 8 books in the 4 for 3 special offer. I got Adam and his kin, Mara, Cat of Bubastes, Bible Heroes and bad guys, Mystery of the Roman Ransom, Polycarp, Adara and a dover coloring book on OT stories. cost about $40, free shipping. But I can't vouch for the quality of a few of them. But just thought I would share the fruit of my search with you all.
Crystallea
Crystal
Wife to Randy, mom to Gavin 27, Ryan 24, Dawson 11 Bailey James 11, Brianna 10, Melissa 9, Jack & Sam 6, Micah 5
Blessed to have adopted youngest 6.

4in4years

Individual reading time feedback wanted- Percy Jackson

Unread post by 4in4years » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 pm

tiffany wrote:My oldest 3 kids have read the first book in the Percy Jackson series and seen the movie. They had already had their Greek mythology, and I was thinking it would be an okay, fun addition for entertainment purposes. I did see the movie with them and the main objections I had were a couple of sexual innuendos from Hades wife. I don't really see myself reading through the Percy series to check it all out. I was wondering if any families had first hand experience with this series.

I guess you could describe us as middle-of the road on these topics. We don't do Harry Potter or Sorcerer's apprentice, but we do enjoy Narnia and Lord of the Rings books and movies.

My 11 year old reminded me again just now to post this question. He is anxious to read the next book in the series, as well as his older brother and sister. He doesn't normally like to read, so I like to encourage that. He is also the child who has the most doubts and questions about Christianity, so I like to be thoughtful about how I handle these kind of things with him.
Tiffany,
I have read the first four books in the Percy Jackson series. If you felt comfortable letting them read the first book I would say the other books are more of the same. The second book is practically a repeat of The Odyssey.

Percy and Annabeth do not become a couple, although reading between the lines they have feelings for each other. I don't know what the last book holds for that issue.

Christian faith is skirted. Christianity is described as philosophy and a subject that will not be debated.

How did you handle teaching Greek mythology? That was an actual religion where this is a story. I would think you have already done some great groundwork for discussing this stuff.
4n4

my3boys

Re: Individual reading time feedback wanted- Percy Jackson

Unread post by my3boys » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 am

My 11yo read all the books this year and really liked them.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

vonfirmath

Unread post by vonfirmath » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 pm

My concern reading the Percy Jackson is the attitude of the kids toward their authority figures. More and more, they seem to succeed by going behind the back of those put in charge over them.

I know Harry Potter did the same, but this seemed much more blatant, such that I had to put the series down after book 3 (I think it was. The one with a road trip across the country)
--Sarah in Austin, TX
Mama to DS (8/3/2007), DD (due 8/5/2011)

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:52 pm

We tend to have a "Read & Discuss" policy on books like these. My child is allowed to read them, one chapter at a time only, and then we debrief. I ask questions about what happened, what choices did the characters make ~ were they good or bad ~ and how does that affect the people around them, what other options were there, etc. (I tend to be in the camp that would rather address things head on, so please sift this through your own filter... ;) ) We always try to look at the details with a spiritual lens, so to speak, as well as looking to develop critical thinking/discernment skills.

That said, in my experience, this approach does work better in our home if we both read the books a chapter at a time ~ then I know what types of questions suit the discussion. I will tell you that my children thoroughly engaged reading The Children's Homer because they were familiar with the characters from having read Percy Jackson. Your mileage may vary. :)

NJCheryl

Hittite Warrior

Unread post by NJCheryl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:42 am

mamacastle2 wrote:Has anyone read this book for CTG? I purchased it at convention and did not realize it was so bloody. I've only read the first 2 chapters, but want to see if anyone who's read it thinks it is worth continuing (does the end justify the bloody means??)? Bear in mind that I'm reading it to a 9yo and a 7yo. They are not overly sensitive kids and we keep kind of joking about all the violence (nice book you picked, Mom!), but I want to make sure the end is godly and redemptive, you know? Hope this makes sense. I'm okay with keeping with it as long as the story ends up being a good one. (Sort of like Star of Light had some hard parts at the beginning (slavery, blindness, violence) but then it was totally worth it in the end.)

I don't think this book was on the CTG list. At least not through week 17 where we are at. I got the title either from some other MFW users on a forum or from a list from another Christian book publisher for the ancient time period. Just wanted to note that...
This book is on the week 18 list. We are on week 18, but we have not gotten it from the library yet. The notes on the book say just say to do it as a read aloud for anyone 5th grade or younger.

Cheryl

Julie in MN

Re: Hittite Warrior

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 am

If you don't read it now, you can save it for AHL :)

I think if you search the boards for "Hittite Warrior," you might find a few folks who have read the book, too.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 am

I know my oldest read it in 8th grade during reading time in CTG. I didn't do it as a read aloud or book basket for my middle gal (who was 5th grade).

I asked oldest "remember HIttite Warrior?" then, she got all excited and started talking about it and telling me lots of details and rambled on for 10 minutes about it all excited like.

Then, read Jeanne's concern/question and said, well, the first couple of chapters with the war and invasion were like that, and there is the talk about molech (the same molech false god we read in the OT). BUT, it isn't like that the whole book and she really enjoyed it.

anyway, she looked at the ages of Jeanne's kiddos and wasn't sure if she (my kid) would have liked it as much at that age. hmmm...

and the book also shows up in MFW's AHL as a possible extra for high school reading time.
-crystal

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

I read it to my older kids when they were in 4th and K? Probably mostly for the then 4th grade boy. I'm about to start it with my 9yos. Hmm. I can't remember if I had any issues with it or not. My guess, not or I wouldn't have been so quick to get it from the library:) Not much help, I know. I do tend to skip parts of books if the whole is worth it though.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 pm

I read it, but didn't read it to my then 9 yo dd. She wouldn't have been able to handle it. But, the overall theme is good. And the ending is good. The tone does change, but there are several battles through-out the book.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to keep reading!
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

Julie in MN

CTG - Question About Some Book Basket Books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 pm

marsha617 wrote:I am looking over some books I may want to purchase for CTG. I have 10, 8, and 5 year old boys. Will they be interested in Mara, Daughter of the Nile or sit through Cat of Bubastes? I noticed Cat of Bubastes is Grade 6 and up. I previewed it at a local Mardel but not sure if I should go ahead and make it a must read. I don't want to throw them out all together without asking some of you who have already read them with your family.

Marsha
Bubastes is included in the high school first year, so it's a challenge! I know some homeschoolers love GA Henty, but we find his sometimes-page-long sentences to be a mouthful :~ We listened to Bubastes on MP3 this year and enjoyed it very much that way.

So I think it depends on whether you think you're a Henty-type family? If you do use it, I wouldn't worry about "repeating" it in high school, because my ds doesn't really remember a lot about books he read that far back (he remembers the activities more). I just mentioned the high school thing to show it's a fairly advanced novel.

I haven't read Mara but I think there are some reviews here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6616

Julie

cbollin

Re: CTG - Question About Some Book Basket Books

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 am

My oldest liked Mara when she was in 8th grade. hmm... 10 y.o boy? don't know. But if you have funds and it's not at library, preview it. There's the romance side of it. I'd find someone who has the book and encourage you (mom/dad) to read this one for oldest child who is 10.

One of the homeschool guys out there, Jim Hodges, doesn't encourage those Henty books much younger than 10 y.o. and Mr. Hodges records them on mp3.

I know when did CTG, much of book basket time was books of general interest. Yes, I bought Tirzah, Adara, and Hittite Warrior for my oldest. But we didn't worry too much to try to get too much historical fiction in CTG if the library didn't have it. We did science books, fun books, maybe a non fiction book. Books on Jewish holidays. Then, once it got closer to ancient Greece, it became easier to get stuff. But I really didn't sweat it last year on basket in CTG.

-crystal

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:18 am

I'm doing CTG with my 9yo twin sons this year (we are in week 30!!:). I choose to wait on the Henty book because we will be visiting CTG again and/or they'll get it in high school. I did purchase Tirzah, which we all enjoyed, and Victory on the Walls which we'll start in two weeks to coincide with Nehemiah.

Blessings,
Kelly
mom to 6
mimi to 5
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

marsha617

Unread post by marsha617 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 pm

This is just what I needed to know. I think our read alouds will include any of the following: The Golden Goblet, Tizrah, God King, The Hittite Warrior and Victory on the Walls,or Detectives in Togas. Of course my library carries none of these so I will buy a couple and go from there. I noticed Rainbow Resource has Cat of Bubastes on cd only it's nearly $30! ILL??? Hmm...I don't think my boys are quite ready for it. Is God King, Hittite Warrior AND Victory on the Walls too much of the same???? Someone on the CTG Yahoo Group recommended The Hittite Warrior so I know we will go with that one.

I agree next year science books can fill our book basket. My library actually carries many ancients books in the nonfiction section.

Marsha
Andrew 10
Nathan 8
Ryan 5
Josh 2
Yes, we have ALL boys. Life is fun and always interesting!
MFW since 2008; CTG this coming school yr.

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Oh yeah, we did The Golden Goblet too, they really liked that one:) I started Hittite Warrior and they seemed to like it but then we had to return it to the libary and I never got it back to finish it. I think we'll revisit that one too in the upper grades. For some reason, I remember thinking that I woud save Detectives in Togas for when we study Rome, not sure about that. I do remember reading that with my now 24 and 19yos (how can that be?!?) and they enjoyed that book. That said, all my kids have always enjoyed being read to so if "I'm" doing the reading, they like the book;)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:39 pm

We LOVED Hittite Warrior! Excellent book.
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

Julie in MN

CTG art book rec?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:53 pm

extrafor6 wrote:I would like to purchase one of the recommended book basket books of paintings by well known artists depicting Old Testament scenes. Does anyone recommend one over another?
Thanks!
Stephanie
We used the Stories From the Old Testament book. I think I could only find it used.

We had used the Come Look With Me books in ECC, and continued with the same method in CTG - opening up a page spread, discussing, leaving the page open on the piano for the week.

I remember discussing the painter's vision of the Tower of Babel vs. our own imagined picture of it, and such.

Julie

extrafor6

Re: CTG art book rec?

Unread post by extrafor6 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks, Julie! I found it used on Amazon so I went ahead and purchased it.
Stephanie

sandi

Book Basket ? for CTG

Unread post by sandi » Thu May 08, 2014 8:10 am

blessedwith4 wrote:Hello. I am wondering if any of you can tell me if Mara, Daughter of the Nile is a Book Basket suggestion? If it IS a Book Basket book, I plan on keeping it since my library doesn't carry it. Can anyone check in their manual for me real quick?

Thank you. :-)
Don't sell it. It is a really good book. We really enjoyed reading it. Not sure if it is listed in the manual, its not here in front of me.
His Child,
Sandi

4Truth

Re: Book Basket ? for CTG

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu May 08, 2014 8:22 am

Mara is scheduled in CTG as it goes along with the study of Egypt.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.