Ideas: Notebooking or Scrapbooking for K

God's Creation From A to Z: A Complete Kindergarten Curriculum
MJP

Ideas: Notebooking or Scrapbooking for K

Unread post by MJP » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:57 pm

mbcatac7 wrote:I was thinking scrapbooking the year would be fun for the kids. Has anyone done this?

I am trying to decide if I should scrapbook in order they do the lessons or if I should rearrange to make an ABC Book.
Thanks
Billie TX
I didn't scrapbook per say, but we did one page per letter with a drawing, a snapshot, handwriting the letters and the motto for the lesson, etc. We did ours in alphabetical order. I plan to do it again this year. It was a great keepsake.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:59 pm

We made a beautiful notebook this year - in the order that we studied things, so that dd could see the progress in her writing and drawing skills.

Every unit, we decorated the letter that we would be studying. I printed this out from our computer in a bubble letter format so that she could draw, decorate, paste, color, sticker, etc. That is the first page of each section.

On the back of that is her handwriting page for the letter/topic. The next page is our memory verse (we chose to learn one of the selected verses instead of the statements). And the following pages are art works, her other worksheets, and the photos from the lessons or field trips.

She loves sitting down with grands, friends, or other guests to share her school notebook :)
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

southernshae

Unread post by southernshae » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Yes, I'm sort of "notebooking" K with my ds. I'm simply using a 3-ring binder and page protectors.

His creation pages are first, and then we have a 2-page spread for each of the letter units (starting with Aa Apple). I bought some bright colored paper that I use as a background for the pages. When we are done with the flashcard I insert that into the left-hand side and then on the right, I put my favorite thing ds painted/drew that week. For example, his hand octopus is in there for Oo, apple tree for Aa, cute picture of Ping for Ww, and just last week we put our picture of Ferdinand smelling the flowers for Cc.

Each week when we review the "words to remember", we just flip through the notebook and we love doing this. It's turning out to be a very nice keepsake.

HTH,
southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:11 pm

Hello! We did not get our scrapbooking done during "school time" this year, but I hope to work on that project this summer with the children.

What I've done this year for K was to use a large 3 ring binder with page protectors for saving the majority of our work. Then, as we work on our scrapbook, I have 1 or 2 page layouts in these special albums for each letter/unit. I write the "words to remember" and the Bible memory verse with the letter and unit theme all near the top of the page and then I try to always use at least one photo of something we did that week. We also try to fit anything special that they made or photos of field trips, crafts or projects that can't go in the album.

So far, my dd is more interested in decorating her pages, but they both like picking out some stickers and putting them on each page. Once we get it done, I know it will be fun to look at!

My hope was to place only their really best work or samples in this album, to also use it as a portfolio, but I am just uncertain about how many of their other papers to keep in the big binder. I know I should just choose samples of their work from different points in the year, but I don't feel ready to get rid of a lot of it, yet. It's been our first year of homeschooling and I know we will treasure the albums!

Have fun with it and enjoy!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

jasntas

Construction paper in 3 ring binders ?

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 am

Smoakhouse wrote:This may be a crazy question but what do you do with your child's artwork made on construction paper that is a bit bigger than standard notebook paper? I was planning on filing all of my son's work in a 3 ring binder maybe even in sheet protectors. But the construction paper won't fit. <sigh> I don't want to leave it hanging out to get torn up but I hate the idea of having to cut down all the paper. Have any of you came up with a brilliant way to handle this? :)
Hmm, maybe you could take them to an office supply store, etc. that does laminating and binding and have them laminated and bound in their own separate 'book'. I actually have my own laminating machine and book binding machine and have done this myself when I ran across this same problem. Just one idea. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Re: Construction paper in 3 ring binders ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 am

I went to Miller Pads & Paper at convention and they said they'd cut a tablet of paper any size I wanted (well, they didn't cut it at convention, but would take internet orders or advance orders). I wanted everything 8.5 x 11, to fit in page protectors, whether it was drawing paper or paper with lines on the bottom and blank on the top, etc. They were very helpful and inexpensive.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

leeandrea

Unread post by leeandrea » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 am

If you are set on using construction paper, this probably won't be that helpful, same for if you are talking about already existing art work, but I'll tell you what we do.

Instead of buying construction paper, I buy packs of multi-colored paper from Staples (or wherever) for art/craft projects. It's standard 8.5x11 so fits in page protectors. And you can get it in plain weight and card stock weight. I use to be able to get 8.5x11 scrapbook paper, but can't seem to find that much any longer. I don't care for the "feel" of construction paper???, though I do have construction paper also, some colors aren't sold in packs like black or brown, so I cut down to fit in page protectors if I need to. I have a large paper cutter though, like the ones in school that will take off fingers if you aren't careful. I think you could get a simple paper cutter made for scrapbooking for not much money, not that you couldn't use scissors, or maybe you could make a some sort of template and use a sharp razor or exacto knife to quickly cut down construction paper.

There are so many cool scrapbook papers, I'm kind of addicted to buying them, even though I really don't scrapbook. I cut down to 8.5x11 and use as backgrounds for writing projects I want to save/display nice. Like, I'll cut down a lined piece of paper so it's smaller than 8.5/11 and gluestick it onto a piece of scrapbook paper. And I save the scraps for bookmarks. One other place I have found tons of 8.5/11 patterned paper is Dollar Tree. They sell it in packs for printers, but we do all kinds of stuff w/it.

The card stock colored paper is also great for making cards :)

Lee

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:00 pm

agreeing with Lee -- I switched from construction paper to cardstock. Works great for us!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes! Why did I not think of colored printer paper. I even have some in the closet.
I'm going digging through my junk closet. %|

Thank You!

Postby Smoakhouse » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:02 pm
As I was looking through school supplies, I have found that there actually is 8 1/2 x 11 construction paper as well as 8 1/2 x 11 notebook paper. If you want everything the same size be sure to double check the sizes. For some reason, some construction paper is larger and some notebook paper is smaller. :~
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak