Audio/DVD/Website - NEST videos

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
jasntas

Audio/DVD/Website - NEST videos

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 pm

Holly wrote:I am thinking about investing in these bc I have heard sooo many good things about them...but there are SOOOO many videos. Can someone give me a list of the ones we would cover in Adventures...or know what bundle would be best? If you point me to a bundle...are there any that would be good that aren't in that bundle? Thanks so much for any help! :-)
I was actually able to get two of them through my library system and I purchased one. I would love to be able to purchase all of them but the ones we used that year were George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Edison. That seemed plenty for my two that year and if I remember correctly, may have been the only ones that fit that year. I could be wrong. It's been over a year now since we finished ADV. ;) :)

Since they are geared toward 8-12 y.o.'s they were not as interesting to my then K'er and my then 4th grader was just beginning to become interested. I'm mentioning that to say that I don't know if you would feel like you made a major purchase that you might not get that much use from, at least not yet. (Those DVDs are not cheap). I would like to be able to get the ones that apply to Exp-1850 and 1850-MOD when we get there and I think my dc would get more out of them then. Not trying to discourage you from purchasing them but I know that they have a bit of a high price tag.

We actually purchased the entire Bible set on VHS almost 20 years ago when we were youth leaders. We invested in them for the kids in the group and with the idea that we would use them with our own kids. Well, VHS is almost obsolete and our tapes are really shaky and annoying to watch now. :( (We also didn't plan to be married 11 years before we were able to have our first.)

I was really wanting to use the OT ones this year with my dc as we will be studying CTG. Instead, I have been recording them on our DVR from the INSP channel. I wish Netflix carried these.

I'm not sure if that was helpful or not. :~
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

C4Car

Re: NEST videos for Adventures

Unread post by C4Car » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 am

We love the nest videos in our family. This was my one crazy purchase when I first began homeschooling and was still working! But if you can purchase them or even better get them from the library they are good supplements. (Although I have learned throughout the years that MFW is complete and supplementing isn't really neccesary!)

For Adventures we used Christopher Colombus (wk 2), Pocahontas (wk 3), Benjamin Franklin (wk 8 ), George Washington (wk 9), William Bradford and the First Thanksgiving (Thanksgiving unit), Alexander Graham Bell (wk 24) the topic was Morse Code and the telegraph but we enjoyed this one and it gave some understanding of the science behind communications, Abraham Lincoln (wk 28), The Wright Brothers (wk 33 probably my boys' favorite) and Thomas Edison (wk 33).

For those using CTG I have scheduled:
Abraham and Issac (wk 8 ), Joseph (wk 9), Joseph's Reunion (wk 10), Moses (wk 11), Ruth (wk 19), Samuel (wk 19), David and Goliath (wk 21), Solomon (wk 24), Elijah (wk 25), Elisha (wk 27), Daniel (wk 30), Esther (wk 32)

I got curious and looked at the Nest website. Gosh! I had forgotten how expensive that purchase was. Anyway, the 10 American History DVD Bundle has all the videos used in Adventures except Christopher Columbus and Harriet Tubman and Helen Keller are added. HTH
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 am

C4Car, Thank you for posting your ADV schedule for the Nest videos you used with ADV. I only had two available through the library as I mentioned and thought Abe Lincoln would be worth the investment to purchase so I forgot about the others. :~

And thanks for the CTG schedule. I had been meaning to do that but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Now all I have to do is pencil them in my TM. :)
Holly wrote:Thank you friends! So, has anyone used them with younger kids...who enjoyed them...specifically 7 year old boys...? :-) Maybe I will preview some with my kids to see how they feel about them first...
I think it just depends on the kids. If you are able to preview some that would be ideal. (My dc didn't care much for Liberty's Kids that year either but this summer they really started to enjoy them.) I wasn't trying to say that the Nest DVDs wouldn't be a good investment. Just that they are a costly one. And as I mentioned last night could also be used in the last 2 years of the 5 year cycle. And this advice was coming from someone who purchased the entire Torchlighter Series for ECC. 8| :)

You know what I just found out? There is a limit to 10 smilies per post. lol

C4Car

Unread post by C4Car » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:12 pm

I agree it depends alot on the kid. When we did Adventures my boys were 7 & 5 I think. They really liked them and when I quizzed them they knew the answers. The 5 year old didnt always make it through the entire show, but he isnt a tv kid. He would rather be outside. The workbooks were too difficult at 7 with the exception of the color sheets that they liked. Now that they are 2 yrs older, I think the workbooks would be ok. As a side note, we have shown these during Childrens Church to kids 4yrs old to 6th grade and always have a quiet, captivated group of about 40. Which is pretty amazing really. :)
Married to my wonderful husband for 19 years
Blessed with 2 great boys, ages 11 and 9
Have completed MFW K, MFW 1st, Adv, ECC,CTG
2013-2014 RTR

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

robertb10502 wrote:Where can I find these videos??
nestentertainment.com/

Also christianbook.com carries a small selection. HTH

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:12 pm

I think I've seen them on discovery education streaming too.

Bessers

Unread post by Bessers » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm

My son is 6 and my daughter is almost 4. We have a great library system which has many of the Nest history videos. They both love them. My son really enjoys taking the lower-level quizes at the end of each video. We usually only watch them one or two times before returning them though.
Mother of three great kids:
7 yo son doing Adventures
Almost 5 yo daughter doing K
Infant daughter with Down Syndrome doing therapies
Completed MFW K & 1

scampbell2003

Unread post by scampbell2003 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

I really wanted to get these videos as well but we just don't have the money. The library only has 2 of the history one but a few more of the Jesus ones.

jasntas- When does INSP usually have these movies on? We have that channel and would love to DVR a couple :)
Samantha Wife to Matt 8yrs
Momma to:
Madison 7 MFW Adv
Colin 5 Half day PREK
Logan 1 Super Busy Toddler
This is our 1st yr with MFW and I am so excited!

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I tried to look it up on the INSP web site but couldn't seem to find it. :~ :)

Ok, it's entitled 'Nest Family Animated Stories' and airs Saturday mornings at 2:00 a.m. Pacific. Wow, I didn't realize it came on so early in the morning. No wonder I have to record it. 8[]

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:58 am

Just thought I would mention, for the VHS ones, they allow you to trade up at a discounted rate. Might be something to look into...

And, sometimes as conventions they discount them even more. There used to be a few on Netflix, but I didn't look to see if that was still the case.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm

Fly2Peace wrote:Just thought I would mention, for the VHS ones, they allow you to trade up at a discounted rate. Might be something to look into...
Awesome! I did not know they would do a trade up discount. I'll check into that. It might be worth it. Thanks!
Yep, to replace the 24 I have it would be a savings of about $170.00 compared to the 24 pack price. (The replacement cost would be $14.95 each). It's even more of a savings if I were to try to buy them individually. Still a chunk of change but better than full price. Now to start saving. Thanks so much for the tip!

finley3001

Unread post by finley3001 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:05 pm

If you live in South Carolina, you can get free access to Discovery Channel's United Streaming website for Educators. I was thrilled to see ALL the US History NEST videos on there in full episodes! If you live in SC, send me a message and I'll direct you to the place to register for free access.

We've watched several of them already and I'm so thankful!
-Cayce

Wife of 10 years to my best friend
Mom to 5 kids- Girl (7), Boy (6), Twin boys (5) and 6 months.
3rd year homeschooling-currently doing Adventures, MFW 1st (second time) and MFW K (3rd time) for 2011-2012

scampbell2003

Unread post by scampbell2003 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Just wondering has anyone used any of the Nest Videos about Jesus along with Adventures?
Samantha Wife to Matt 8yrs
Momma to:
Madison 7 MFW Adv
Colin 5 Half day PREK
Logan 1 Super Busy Toddler
This is our 1st yr with MFW and I am so excited!

carissa

Unread post by carissa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Ooooh, I'm going to check and see if our school district has a subscription to that Discovery Channel's United Streaming library! Thanks for mentioning that, Cayce.

We have a wonderful public library, and I'm thankful that they have most of the NEST history videos, however you never know if they'll be too scratched to play. It would be great to have access to them online.
Carissa in Michigan
Wife to Steve for 21 years.
Mom to ds Brendan (10), ds Caden (8) and dd Sydney (8).
We've done MFW-K, ADV, public school for 2 years, and now considering ECC :)

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

With all the videos recommended for ADV, and then 1850-MOD...we wen ahead and bought the 20 Video History Series. I watched for a sale (you can sign up for email deals), used a coupon code (google), and went on a 3 month pymt plan. It's been well worth the $$$ and ALL 7 of the kids watch & enjoy (so do Dad & Mom).

...another great video series we got for ADV was Liberty's Kids. And we love, love it! And you can get the entire series for $40.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:03 pm

baileymom wrote:...another great video series we got for ADV was Liberty's Kids. And we love, love it! And you can get the entire series for $40.
'Liberty's Kids: The Complete Series' is also available on Netflix for instant viewing and on DVD. :)

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:10 am

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the Nest Videos. As I previously mentioned, they gave me a discount to replace my old VHS tapes. They also offered me the same discount on the other ones that I didn't previously own. I decided to go with it and accepted their payment plan as well. I can't wait until the DVD's get here. :-)

If anyone decides to call and check into the DVD's ask for Emily and tell her Tammie from CA with the DH from TX sent you. ;)

Oh, and thank you so much flytopeace for the tip. :-)

mom2h

Unread post by mom2h » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Several of our local churches have the NEST videos in their libraries. You might check there before buying.