Schedule - Balancing high school with youngers

TriciaMR

Schedule - Balancing high school with youngers

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:17 pm

blessedwith5 wrote:This is our first year in MFW, I have 5 children, 6 year old doing A-Z first 1/2 of the year to review and fill some gaps, 11 and 13 year old doing ECC with the 7th grade supplement, and 14 and 17 year old doing Anciet Egypt.

Questions/ Challenges are:

Things are taking all day for me. A to Z first thing in the morning, help some with high school questions and math (one is struggling there), start ECC, lunch, finish ECC and reading with A to Z- and before you know it the day is done - supper etc, bed. I am not finding time to read over my high schoolers work and check some writing - so I am wondering if I am missing anything.

Would someone be able to share a schedule or some extra ideas on how to incorporate these 3 levels?
Even my high school girls have mentioned how much longer their school load is this year. I want them to have some afternoon time to explore their other interests as well - and help around the house, but it seems we are "schooling' all day.

For those of you doing ECC - Do you make a lesson plan for the day for them to follow? With everything written in the TE it seems difficult to have a schedule for them to check off (kinda like the high schoolers have} We do most of it together - but things like Math, Spelling, Science etc. I like to have a written record of what they do each day. If anyone has any ideas here that would help too.

We are enjoying everything about MFW right now- it seems I struggle with the organization of having 3 things revolving at once.
Thanks,
Sherry
Sherry,

I don't have help with schedule... but for your 11 and 13 yo... how about they write what they did for math, spelling, etc in a planner. I got a Well Planned Day middle school planner for my 11 yo and asked her to just start keeping track of what she did each day.

My days seem long, too, sometimes... I have twin 2nd graders who dictate to me and I write for them for their notebook pages in EX1850. Sometimes that can really eat into the day.

What are you using for math, English, and Spelling? Make sure you're not using something that is too time consuming.

What about a whiteboard with assignments for the 11 yo and 13 yo written in different colors... Or go to donnayoung dot org - she has lots of simple planner pages. I personally use Homeschool Tracker Plus to make sure we cover everything, and I can print out daily checklists for my kids if I need too. (Haven't this year, but the last two years, when my younger two were in K and 1st, having a printed checklist for my oldest to work through while I worked with my twins really helped keep her on task.)

When I did CTG with my boys in K, I would do the Bible, History and Science from CTG first (and the little guys would sit in on it sometimes), then have my older child do her independent work, and then work with my twins for Math and Phonics/Reading in K. That only took about 1.5 hours. Then I would go back to my oldest and do English, Spelling, Math with oldest.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: need some help with our schedule (AtoZ, ECC, highschool)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:11 pm

You do have a lot of levels spinning there! I hope you call the office because they are the experts. I'll just add some things off the top of my head.

What I do with my high schooler is schedule 6 hours during the day, and then have him do some extras later on, when needed. Those things are separated from his school day, so he has a break and time for friends and such. The things I save are usually reading chapters or math problems. During the school day, I try to have him do other English such as writing, and do any math corrections from the day before and the new math lesson. But he might not get to the reading or all the math problems. Math sure does take a long time sometimes in high school! But as one mom told my son, if you're not spending an hour or more at this age, then you're probably not doing hard enough math. And for the reading, sometimes I let him listen to audiobooks (Cat of Bubastes, for instance), and he didn't mind listening at night (or in the car on the way to activities).

As far as ECC, you are allowed to make copies of the grid if you aren't going to sell the manual. If you are, I think one of the simple grids Trish mentioned would work. If you're using MFW lesson plans for math, they can just check those off. I wonder if somehow copying the table of contents in the English books would work for a check-off?

And as for the little one, are you combining some things with ECC?

I really hope you find things that work, so you get evenings off.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:26 pm

Sherry,

:-) I haven't actually done this yet but it was recommended to me. Photocopy the weekly grid for each student. There are blank spaces for Math, English, etc. You can write in the weekly assignments in those subjects for your children and they can each have a copy in a folder, their notebook, hanging on a clipboard, etc. I often put a schedule or to do list for a kid in a clear pocket like
[search for C-Line Reusable Dry Erase Pockets, 9 x 6 inches, Clear with Assorted Primary Colors Trim, 10 Pockets per Pack (41610) by C-Line Products Inc.]

and I hang it on a hook like http://www.target.com/p/3M-Command-Meta ... A-13712192. In fact, I use the Command Utensil Hooks for everything. I put Bible verses on rings and the kids can hang them from hooks. Clipboards can hang from those hooks. The Reusable Pockets can also hang from the hooks.

I tend to think in "blocks of time" and try to schedule out the day that way. For older students, they always have work to do while I am teaching or attending to (in the case of a toddler :-) ) other children. Again, I am only slightly experienced and still a diamond in the rough with this scheduling thing .... but if you can start the day with older students who may need some instruction before heading off on their own THEN while they're doing follow up independently you can teach your 6 year old. OR, you can get your ECC students started in the same way. I might even involve older students, if they're not busy with independent work, in doing an activity with or reading a story with my 6 year old while I am teaching elsewhere. I'd also flip work around on the weekly grid if it helps the flow.. I'd also break up the work for the 6 year old into smaller blocks if I need to circle around to different learning groups. Roughly, this is my thought process and I'm thinking in Blocks for you. The length of time for each block varies and sometimes blocks might overlap because activities begin and end differently.

Block One 8am - 9 am: Mom meets with High School Students to answer questions and teach math. ECCers are either doing independent work listed out on whiteboard or grid OR they are involved in an activity with 6 year old or both. Perhaps their Book Basket happens here (6 year old has one too). They could be doing Bible study devotional time, math, copywork, etc. They could knock out math & reading if they work on their own. This is up to you.
Block Two 9 am - 10am: Mom has first teaching block with 6 year old and does Bible, Phonics, Writing. High Schoolers are doing independent work. ECCers continue with their independent work or they prepare lunch ahead of time. :) Snack and swap laundry. This is a slightly longer block to allow for inevitable interruptions.
Block Three 10am - 12 or 1230pm: 6 year old is off playing or doing whatever Mom wants. Longer teaching block with ECCers. Work until lunch. 6 year old may enjoy some of it.
Block Four (after lunch/break time) ?? : .... and on with the day ....

If photocopying the weekly ECC grid doesn't work for you I'd try individual white boards OR a huge white board with a list for each student. My 9 year old really appreciates a white board list that he can erase as he goes.

((Hugs)) as you are busy and in a very demanding season with High School down to the Learning to Read stage. It's crazy busy.
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 am

Welcome along.

A couple of things to add in the mix. Agreeing with Julie that in addition to the ideas on the message board, be encouraged to call MFW’s office and get their insights too. That one on one on the phone call be helpful with details that are easily missed on internet.

You don’t have to do the full Kindy program with your learning to read children. If they do Math and Phonics each day, that’s plenty. Then, invite that child to join in fun crafts and prayer time in ECC. For my youngest, she did the math in MFW Kindy as part of her wake up routines with calendars and the sticks. It was a quick part of the day. Phonics time with her was after breakfast. 15 minutes of seat work with us and then she was off and about for a while.

I’d work with group teaching from ECC with older two who were 7th and 4th grade that year. Read alouds were in the evening. Oldest would watch younger while I worked with middle gal on language arts and math. Then, we’d switch a bit and I’d work with oldest. We’d get MFW Kindy activities done as group play time.

This year, I have 10th grader in WHL, 7th grader in Ex1850, and youngest (who has autism) is in a mix of stuff. I work as an exercise instructor. It’s a busy season.

As needed, we use DIVE cd’s for math. My middle gal does a lot better with the audio CD of the Apologia textbooks and an expensive pre made lapbooking thing to just take notes.

Oldest does some of her work in the evening by her choice.

We have daily meetings for about 15 minutes a day to go over stuff. Then bigger conference once a week, which sometimes is on Saturday.

High school isn’t supposed to be “done at noon” unless you start at 630 am or something. In spite of that, my daughter is still able to do archery in the right season, and goof off a lot, and be part of student leader group at church. She does some reading at night. Needs a cattle prod to wake up sometimes.

(((hugs)))

-crystal

blessedwith5

Unread post by blessedwith5 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:45 am

thank you everyone for your suggestions. I started copying the grid for my 7th and 5th grader. They fill in the blanks and highlight everything when it is completed. It is working so far.

thanks for taking the time to respond.
Sherry

Cyndi (AZ)

Could y'all help me organize my day?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Stephc wrote:Well, it looks like we will start school The 26th. My husband was supposed to come back from working in TX on July 3rd, but his job has asked him to stay until September. 8O ;( what a gut wrenching decision we had to make, but if you are familiar with Dave Ramsey's philosophy....we are living like no one else right now so we can live like no one else later. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say a year being unemployed racked up choking debt and we have to get rid of it. So blah, blah, blah, since we have already been on break since April, we will NOT be waiting for Hubby's return before starting school, like previously thought.

I am new to this town, we still have unpacked boxes. I have a rising 9th grader who will do AHL, and an almost 6 year old with whom I will be continuing K. I have 2 children who need to be remediated on everything except reading, but with possible dyslexia and a diagnosis of Aspgerger's I'm not sure where to even start. I have an 8 year old son the will do whatever the other two I mentioned will do. And I have a 3 year old and a 19 month old who try their very best to undo everything while I school the others.

So when do you do K? I'll need some time to work with ODD, at least initially, on AHL. The other do not have a curriculum, just things I am trying to use for building skills. Crystal had mentioned doing office hours (which I'll be doing!), but do you guys find that having an allotted time for each subject or each kid helps you move along? I feel like we don't get a lot done everyday because we get bogged down with one child. Anyway (am I still talking?) any ideas on how you would schedule your day if you had my life? Lol. We don't have any commitments during the week except church on Sundays and grocery shopping on Thursdays.
Never have I been more reminded of this quote: "I don't have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem." --Ashleigh Brilliant

I do understand the challenges of new house, new town, boxes and boxes, and hubby working out-of-town. (((HUG))) You *will* make it.

Maybe doing Kindy first thing in the morning so that you can get a huge check mark on your schedule before starting with the others would help? That's what I would do. It's easier to teach K while you're still drinking coffee and waking up then it is the older grades, too. :-) I have no advice, though. I'm just feeling chatty.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

momonthemove

Re: Could y'all help me organize my day?

Unread post by momonthemove » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello. Hugs. I admire your commitment to Dave Ramsey as it will pay off so much later for you! I don't know that I have a solution, but I will share what I am doing.

I have a Kindergartener this year and we are starting next week. I am shooting for 3 days a week for the first month with it being summer and easing us into it. We will do her first thing after breakfast. Older brothers (7th and 3rd) will be doing ECC. They will start independent work while I am with their sister. Then we will move onto their joint ECC.

I will also assign play time with each boy and their sister as I work one on one with the other. Having little sister occuppied some helps. And, we are easing into it with oldest brother. Math and ECC the first couple weeks, then will add Language arts, extra science the next 2 weeks, and then Foreign Language at 1 month in. I figure rather than jumping in and feeling overwhelmed we will ease into it. With middle, he will do ECC and Math first 2 weeks, Language Arts and Spelling the next 2 weeks, and then 1 month in we will start cursive. Not sure if going slow would help you to feel less overwhelmed.

Plus, if I was in your situation, I would have a need for some order in my house. Each afternoon I would be unpacking boxes for 30-45 minutes. Then repeat the next day. I would engage my kids by unloading and having them take things to the appropriate places.

Good luck.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks for your replies,
I realize I may have made it sound like my life is SO much harder than everyone else's. "oh, woe is me, what shall I do?". But be assured I don't feel that way. In some ways I feel like my life is easier because my kids have each other, so it's not all about the big family. But in homeschool I think I am feeling the largeness of my family in ways that I normally don't.

cyndi,
Thank you for confirming what u thought about he right time to do K. Maybe putting the olders on some independent work while I do K with my latest riser is the best thing.

Deb,
Thanks for the encouragement with Dave Ramsey's way. hard decisions really do have to be made when you want to be out of debt as badly as we do.

And I like your idea of assigning a kid to have play time with little sister. I have one older daughter who is very willing to give up school time for play time! Lol. I've got to make sure to work all this out in my head. Good ideas here.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Stephc wrote:I realize I may have made it sound like my life is SO much harder than everyone else's. "oh, woe is me, what shall I do?". But be assured I don't feel that way.
no, you didn't come across that way at all! It sounds like you've got a great family and are making some great decisions.

I know there's others on here that can relate to your dc's situation better than I who will chime in -- probably after the busy weekend. :)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Stephanie,

How's it going? do you feel like you have some tips to begin to make schedules, or still looking for other ideas?

The only thing tossing in my brain is start days for each program....Usually it is suggested to start high schooler a week ahead of the others in back to school and spend more time with high schooler. Almost along the lines of giving them an orientation to each subject for a week. and agreeing that a lot of kindy can be done in small segments (and yes.. schedule time to unpack.... I still feel like I never did organize the room i"m sitting in right now)

do you need ideas on how to schedule a daily get it done? or how to encourage olders to work a little on their own on an assigned independent task? (aka white board schedules...)

just thought I'd check to see if you got enough info to have a strategy in place for getting started.

-crystal

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Thank you ladies for making me feel so at ease and for being so encouraging. I am just getting. Ack to this after yet another crazy week (last of our household goods from military storage came, as did family and trying to finish up this last week of my algebra class).

Crystal--yeah, I have actually never done a "schedule" written down where the kids could see it. I mean, everyone else has to be more organized than I. I am certain of it. And I just don't know what to do to get organized again like I was a few kids ago. I am a natural organizer. Maybe that's why I am paralyzed with school. I feel like its just too helter skelter.
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Stephanie,

I read your last post and was just thinking about schedules and a tip that works for me. I do not write specific times. I do block schedules. So I don't say 8:30-9:30 math, etc. I say Block 1. Having times written down stresses me out and I always feel behind and rushed. So, i work in blocks and checking them complete as we go.

Don't know if that helps, but I thought it might. :)
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi there!
I too have always been driven crazy by deadlines and schedules. I've never felt like we needed more than a routine. But I think this year with having a high schooler and other struggling leathers, I am going to have to have a stop time for each subject. Otherwise I could belly crawl through anything and to just say I finished something, sacrificing the rest of the midst' learning time and making everyone hate schooling. I've done it before, and am quite good at it. Lol
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

Ruby

Unread post by Ruby » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:05 pm

if you have an older dd willing to help take care of the youngers, then by all means do it. if your two older girls can take care of the younger two, you could try working with your 10yo and 8yo, with your 5yo sitting in on that. if you can work in 15 min. blocks, group your group subjects together-Bible, history, science, then try to use nap times for individual learning. definitely utilize the older children tutoring the school aged ones in 10 or 15 minute chunks. baby gates are good for corralling little ones in a room next to you, within eyesight but not right on top of you. and remember to save two big boxes to make a castle or fort or church and have everyone decorate it but it only comes out during school time. that way your youngest three will have two fun boxes when they get bored while you are working on other things. if you have the room to store it. our "church" has been moved from room to room for months. still in good condition.
have you seen the "managers of their home" book? it has pages and pages in the back of the book of schedules from many different sized families, showing what each child is scheduled to do for each half hour or hour block throughout the day. it's inspiring.
after each of our moves, i had a 3-5 box a day rule. then i could sit down without feeling guilty.

Stephc

Unread post by Stephc » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:42 pm

What wonderful ideas, Ruby, especially the one with the boxes. The kids would love to decorate a couple together and the babies would enjoy playing in them. My oldest daughter is.....not a fan of helping out with her younger siblings. But my second oldest loves to and is so good at it. I just worry that she will end up feeling used.
My husband gave the go ahead to get CTG, so now I will feel like we have something central to work towards with the 3 middles instead of just pieces.
Thanks again!
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
Using Kindy and AHL

Buttercup78

Anyone going to run 3 programs at once?

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:17 pm

4littlehearts wrote:I am looking at having a dd in AHL, middle 2 children in CTG, and youngest in K. How doable is this without going crazy?
Well your high school student would be mostly independent, so you shouldn't have a problem. I have 2 in CTG and 1 in K this year also. You may want to start your oldest a week or two earlier than the rest so you can get her off to a good start before adding the rest.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Julie in MN

Re: Anyone going to run 3 programs at once?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Haven't done it, though I have had kids spread apart in age. Try these threads until you get some of those busy folks online (oh, I see you got a good reply already!):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 009#p47009
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 912#p85912

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Sometimes you do go crazy, especiallly when your 18 month old is jealous and doesn't want you to read to anyone but him!

But it can be done. Start your high schooler a week or 2 before the others.

I find it easiest to do all of the readings for the day at one time in the morning. Then they branch off to do individual work while I teach my kindergartener.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

joyfulmom

Unread post by joyfulmom » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 pm

I am getting ready to.....my son starts US1 next week while I finish ECC with the next 2 girls (we started at a weird time). When they finish, my older girl will move into AHL while my son who is in first will join his sister in CTG. Then my next daughter will start first while my 4 year old keeps us all busy. I'm getting tired just writing about it! :) I guess technically that puts me in 4 programs at once. Sounds like life is going to be fun around here!

Lori G
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi (: I am working with three right now, and it is fun and it is busy!
My eldest dd is doing RtR, son is doing 1st, and youngest dd is doing pre4 (my own design including MFWpre).

We have staggered the beginning of school, and it has been such a blessing! I heartily agree with those
who have recommended it.

• I began with two subjects/topics for each of them on the 6th.
• This week, I added two more subjects for my eldest, my son's complete program, and added to pre for my youngest.
We also added updated house helper charts, etc and worked on our fall routine (:
• Next week we add a little more to all, plus more practice on our routine.
• The week of the 26th is our first full week of everything.

I am excited. It is the first year I have tried things this way, and I am so pleased!

From my experience last year (CtG, MFWK & pre3), things do get a little nuts when all three have questions/need me at one time. It works out, though. We all get to practice our patience, and I get more practice at prioritizing for efficient use of our time (LOL).

My eldest asked me last year for a "daily work sheet" that shows her at a glance all that she needs to do in school each day. I made a sheet that lists her subjects/assignments and then has a special section for things we do one-on-one (like spelling). She loves it and is using it again this year. She is able to do a good bit of work independently while I get the little ones started, and then she and I can have some time to discuss things and cover other subjects while they work.

It is a very active environment, but we love working together. It's a great exercise in keeping focus on a task while other things are happening around you (: I do try to plan for my younger sweetling to have some very quiet things to do while math and spelling are going on.

Also, we do Bible & memory work in the morning at breakfast all together, classical music at snack time, and read alouds sometime in the afternoon or evening.

Things to share kept popping into my head, so I just kept writing (:
I hope that some of it will help or encourage you. Have fun!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

mlangley

Unread post by mlangley » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm only running 2 but we started AHL last week and my son is pretty much headed for independence (hopefully :)) this week. We are starting CTG with the youngest 2 this week.

With the majority of the planning done, it does make it easier!

Hope I can come back here at the end of next week and make the same statement. :)
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children

sandi

Unread post by sandi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi there,
I will be running three programs this year too. We will be using AHL, WHL, and ECC. I also have a four year old who will be doing MFW preschool and some workbooks and joining in on ECC for fun projects. We are putting everthing into action tomorrow. This is what I have come up with so far.

7:00 breakfast, devotions as a family, and breakfast clean up
8:00 I work with preschooler while everyone else works on some independent stuff
9:00 I work with ECC kiddo and the preschooler joins in if wants too (high schoolers are working alone)
10:00 I work with AHL kiddo... I know i will not do this all year but I am for now......ECC kiddo takes preschooler outside
11:00 ECC kiddo reads to me ( she is dyslexic).....preschooler has some activity to do
12:00 lunch and chores
1:00 finish up any work that needs to be done with ECC kiddo
2:30 I check up on my WHL student

Now I know that this is not fool proof. In fact, tomorrow is our first day on this schedule doing everything. This is my schedule for what I am to do and when. The high schoolers are just going down there grid and doing their stuff. If they get stuck then we discuss that during their time with me.

Let me know what you think.And any suggestions are welcomed.

HOpe this helped a little to see what someone else is doing.
Good thread
His Child,
Sandi

sandi

three programs at one time

Unread post by sandi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 am

Hello my fellow homeschool moms!
Just wanted to encourage those who are working on three programs at one time. I also need alittle encouragement. This is really difficult but doable. I know that the Lord will not call me to do something that He will not equip me to do. We are doing AHL, WHL, and ECC. I have to admit, yesterday ended in tears. I felt like I was being pulled in four different directions. Well, I was. ha ha I also have a four year old in the mix, so she was a bit board.

THings I am learning concerning doing three programs at a time? Pray, pray and pray some more. I feel better after a good nights sleep and time in the Word this morning. Number two, plan things for your preschooler. I didn't have much for her to do yesterday. Big mistake! She is a sweetie, but was very board. That equals MESSES. The last thing I can add that I am learning from using three programs is.....drumroll.........JUST SIT DOWN and DO IT!!!! I am always being pulled by the laundry, meals, messes and things that I think I should be doing. There is always time for that in the afternoon!

Okay, there it is. SOOO, what can you ladies add to encourage me or others trudging through three or more programs.Next year will be FOUR!!! ;)

Hang in there, we can do this! Right? Ummmm right? :-)
Last edited by sandi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
His Child,
Sandi

monica626

Re: three programs at one time

Unread post by monica626 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 am

Thank you, thank you for posting this. I posted recently about doing Adventures, 1st and K (along with entertaining a 2 year-old and caring for a 5 month old).

What it boils down to is getting it done and pre-planning for the 2 year-old. I figure this is my year of homeschooling sanctification! ;)

Praying that your year begins to run more smoothly.

Monica

Julie in MN

High school

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:37 am

my3sons wrote:Just realized I need a new screen name- I am about to have 5 sons! lol. Anyway, my question.....

I still have 1.5 years before we start high school, but am making some decisions now that may affect the direction we go. I am sure I will have lots of questions, but for now--

Do you feel like you are on top of your student's education, particularly in knowing what they are studying and how well they are grasping the material- particularly if there are several younger kids that need your attention? I am struggling a bit with that this year and my son is only doing science on his own. I love that he is independently learning, but struggle a bit because I do not have the time to really read over his stuff to make sure he is understanding and retaining it. Tests only tell so much. How do you handle this?

High school is intimidating to me and we have even talked about putting him in "building school" for it-- though I do not think that is the way the Lord is leading.
Five sons, how wonderful!

I'm just bumping you up because I'm not really in your situation. I have spent time reading to my son in high school, lots of time on editing his essays, etc. But some ideas while you wait for busy moms like you to chime in:

- You could reserve Fridays for your high schooler. MFW schedules light Fridays and I know those can get eaten up with outside activities as well as general catching up, but you could stand firm and reserve your teaching time for the big kids that day (or Saturdays, or with dad).

- Conversation can often tell you more than anything, and that could occur in the car, at the dinner table, etc. If you take the manual and look at the different headings and chapter titles, or open the books to find them on the page, you might find it fairly easy to ask, "So, I see you learned about X today, what did you think?"

- Here are some more ideas in different families:
Friday meetings http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8899
Balancing siblings http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11801

- If you are contemplating other options, then I might put in a little time this summer investigating what is out there. Sometimes for me, exploring all my other options leads me back more securely to just where I am. You could visit a public school (well, not during the summer), find out what kinds of high school co-ops are available in your area for homeschoolers, look at college dual enrollment options in your state, ask around about smaller group options such as tutors and book clubs, etc. Then you can make a +/- list for each.

- Maybe also in the summer, you can wander through the MFW user conversations in the archives, and there is a Yahoo group with some occasional conversations, as well.