Ages - Is there an ideal age for ECC?

momma2boys

Ages - Is there an ideal age for ECC?

Unread post by momma2boys » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Bandy wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if you could share with me what you think the ideal age is for ECC? I know it can be adapted for use with different ages.
I ask because I have some combining scenarios floating around in my mind and I could potentially use ECC for 3rd or 4th grade with one of my kids, the other kid would tag-along.
Just wanting to know what grade you think ECC is best suited for, I know answers will vary :) Thank you.
Well, our story is odd. We started with our two boys on ECC in 2nd and 4th grades. Then we moved to a very small town mid-year and put both kids in public school for the remainder of that year. Our oldest did not thrive in public school so we yanked him on outta there and then stretched the rest of ECC out over his 5th grade year. And we loved ECC!!! I think that it would really be great for any grade, but I'd recommend mid to late elementary school. Then again, that's my only experience with it! :) It's a great program and I know that you will love it whenever you decide to start.
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

TriciaMR

Re: ECC Question

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 pm

We did it the first time with 3rd grader, and that was fine. I don't think there is an "ideal" age. It is recommended that you start with ECC as you come into MFW, in order to learn about all the countries before you study history.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm

hmm.. I don't think there's an ideal either.

my oldest daughter did ECC in 2nd grade a long time ago before ADV existed. It was fine once I treated her like a 2nd grader.

five years after that.... she did ECC in 7th grade with jr. high stuff., middle gal did ECC in 4th. even had a kindy kid tagging around.

being nosy here..... what's your situation and maybe we can brainstorm for your individual needs?

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm

We did it in 3rd and 8th.

I would say that 3rd grade was the most fun. We took all the nature walks, sang the fun songs with the native children, read fairy tales from every country (which I had skipped when he was a preschooler), grew plants, played the geography game with gusto, and prayed together. I know there are folks floating around the internet who don't think ECC is fun for young ones, so I don't know if that raised a concern for you, but it leaves me scratching my head in amazement, since it was such a great year for us. I do know that I was teaching my youngest, and so I was probably prone to "keeping him little" rather than "rushing him ahead" in my expectations, and he was coming out of public school so it didn't feel like too much at all, since we were usually done in 4 hours with no homework.

In 8th grade, ECC was very educational but he was also doing 7-8th grade science, math, and language arts. So, we didn't have time for nature walks or growing plants; he read the older biographies (from the 7-8th grade package) on his own rather than sharing them with me (which blessed us in several ways but still... sniff sniff); he enjoyed hearing the Wee Sing songs but didn't sing along; and praying together went through a challenging stage. It was still a very good year with deeper understanding of "cultural differences" and "geographic locations." His mini country reports and current events were really valuable exercises. I would definitely do it again.

I think I "loved" ECC in 3rd grade and "valued" ECC in 8th, if that makes sense?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

samiam

Unread post by samiam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:52 pm

We're doing ECC right now with 8th, 3rd and K5 tagging along.

3rd and K5 definately enjoy the "Fun' parts of ECC moreso than the 8th grader. 8th grader just has more work overall, but does not do any of the coloring pages ie Bible pages, but he does do Flag/Map work, nor any crafts (his choice, not a crafty guy), and I have added more crafts that I have found online to ECC, that my 3rd and K5 loved to do. He doesn't sit in with the "fun" books from the Book Basket, but reads the older Book Baskets on his own.

He chooses not to participate in most cooking projects, he'll eat it but not too interested in the making.

He certainly does not enjoy the music....he'll listen, but 3rd and K5 often dance, and even sing a few of them that they especially like.

He doesn't really care about the passport activity, nor the "airplane ticket" I print out from online as we go to each new country.

8th grader is definately getting alot more meat from ECC< with the World Geography book, the country summary, and the book basket books he reads, but 3rd and K5 get the fun.

Bandy

Unread post by Bandy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Just getting back to this, thank you for the replies!

Julie, you mentioned about hearing some others saying that ECC isn't fun for young ones, that was definitely not one of my concerns! I think it looks really great for young ones. I really appreciate you sharing the specifics of your experience with ECC, both times. Very helpful.

Crystal, I'm just contemplating using ECC during grade 4 instead of grade 3, thinking it might be better for my younger one to gain an additional year before tagging along with that program. I'm always messing around with different combining scenarios. It looks like ECC can really be adapted to suit a pretty wide age/grade range and the student/s would come away with a valuable experience. Thanks for the help.

samiam, excellent information! Thanks for giving me that peek into what your youngers get from the program versus your older, that really helps me to see how it fits the different age ranges. Sounds wonderful :)

TriciaMR

Tell me about ECC...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 pm

mothermayi wrote:I got to see ECC at an Expo but I didn't get a chance to really dig into it because of our numerous potty breaks and water breaks with the little ones :-D.

What is the best age for ECC in your opinion? I know this will differ between families but I would love to hear your opinion and why you selected that particular age group. Will it be too far over the head of a 3rd grader?

What are your favorite and least favorite things about ECC? Did you change anything? If so, what? Thanks in advance!
I did it the first time with a 3rd grader (my twins were pre-k). We did it again this year, my oldest being 8th grade and my boys in 4th.

Here's some thoughts.

1. Properties of Ecosystems is a great book, but may be over the head of the younger set. My 4th graders were fine with it. There are even recommendations in the TM on waiting until week 3 or so before starting that book.

2. Because of my oldest being in 8th grade, she needed my help in the afternoons on math and science (and to go over her other work), so we didn't do as many crafts as the first time, and my boys weren't interested in the Wee-Sing CD (though I may re-institute it these last 4 weeks of school).

3. We didn't do as many of the food projects, partially because of food allergies (2 of my kids can't have dairy), and partially due to time constraints. (Though, I think we're going to try Russian Apple Pie this time... Looks tasty and easy.) But, from the first time through, we still have many recipes we make regularly now. So, I don't feel like we're missing too much.

4. The only thing I changed was making the verse dictation be verse copywork. (My kids already get dictation practice in our spelling program.)

5. My favorite thing about ECC is how it helps you love all the people around the world and see that they all need Jesus. I love the little snippets we get from Window on the World about the different countries and what to pray for them. The book basket suggestions are fabulous, and my kids pick a lot of stuff up from those.

6. I think any age is great for ECC. The youngers as it turns their hearts toward where God's heart is and it can be a fun year with crafts and cooking. For older ones it is great because of having a great base of Geography before going into high school.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Tell me about ECC...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 02, 2014 12:36 am

I remember trying to write out a comparison of 3rd and 8th with ECC here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 884#p80884

Like Trish, I thought it was equally valuable in 3rd and in 8th.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri May 02, 2014 9:23 am

I think it works for all ages because of the variety of books and assignments in the manual. Because it's a multi-level program, Marie has cleverly included something for every age, from the junior high supplement package and Exploring World Geography (for additional research) for older/advanced kids, to the Great Animal Search and book for younger kids. Global Art is generally more favored by younger kids, but some older, crafty kids may like them, too. That's my oldest, who's graduating in two weeks. ;) In fact, she's going to be doing more of the hands-on stuff with my youngest this summer, things I didn't have time to get to this year.

As someone else said, an older student may not care for the Wee Sing CD (but Sshhh... my two teenagers still like to listen to it in the van sometimes! ;) They won't ask for it or pop it in on their own, but if I do, they'll be singing along before you know it.)

And then of course there's the wide variety of books (and sometimes videos) in Book Basket, too. But Marie tells you frequently throughout the manual to be sure to adapt where necessary... what is good for one kid won't work for another, even within the same family. And that of course is the reason there's so much variety in the MFW programs from ECC and up. :)

Soooo.... A lot depends on a child's maturity level, skill level, and preferences. Do I chuck an entire program because I have one child who can't stand to do anything involving glue? No, because I have another one who LOVES to get messy because it makes her feel productive! THAT factor has little or nothing to do with age, and more to do with individual sensitivity issues and personal preference.

What is the "best" age for ECC? It depends on the child. Would it be too far over the head of a 3rd grader? It depends on the 3rd grader. When my oldest was a 3rd grader, she would have enjoyed every single bit of ECC. But with my youngest as a 3rd grader, she would definitely only have done the parts specifically geared to younger kids. So I could have done ECC with *either* child in 3rd grade, but differently. Make sense?
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 am

I really think it is targeting ages 9 & 10 very well. The activities and geography book and Atlas and Property of Ecosystems are all very appropriate for those ages and target them well; especially my 10 year old. Both my 10 & 9 year olds are enjoying Kingdom Tales and the missions aspect of ECC and able to do all of the work. My 10 year old though is able to do more in the Geography workbook, since he is able to do all of it. My dd7 is able to join in on many parts, but isn't able to fully participate in the program. I first reached ECC when my oldest was age 8, and I am glad I waited until he was 10 to do it. At 8 he wouldn't have been able to fully do the work as he is able to do now, and it helps having an oldest who can do all of the assignments in the main program.

I read Cathy Duffey's review once that thought that it was an ideal geography program for 3rd - 6th grades. I would agree with that assessment, but I also haven't tried it with the 7th / 8th extensions so I don't really know how that would work in practice. I would say from reading Julie's thread and Tricia's day that much work is added for middle school.

I think 4th / 5th would be ideal for ECC since those ages are being challenged without being overly challenged.

ECC paints a picture of God's heart for the world through the missions focus and through the Geography. I love that aspect to the program. It also academically does an exceptional job of teaching Geography. I have been very pleased with it, and I also am thankful I didn't try it any younger. Plus, it is fun for children! :-)

A little addition:
Are you thinking of your dd6 as a third grader? My dd7 reads, writes, does copy work, and learns geography very easily. She doesn't want Kingdom Tales or mission stories (except for Hero Tales) at this age; she really tries to get far away so she cannot hear. The science is a hit and miss. Some she understands, and some just does not interest her. She loves the coloring sheets, flag book, cooking, arts and crafts book, nature walks, drawing, and wee sing CD. She sits in on the Bible and does well with it. She can easily memorize the scriptures. So she can do parts of the program, but not all of it. If you were doing it with your older boys your dd6 could join in. If you are thinking of targeting your dd6 I think it would be harder.

What do we like about ECC?
Love, love, love the heart of the program and the picture it paints through the activities day by day. I am very pleased with doing Missions, Geography & Ecosystem science the way ECC puts it together.

I hope that helps!

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri May 02, 2014 10:38 am

I am currently using ECC with a 3rd grader and an advanced 6th grader. It works well for both of them. What I like about ECC is the exposure to different cultures and the heart of the program...its mission focus. My dc have developed a heart for other people. They realize just how big this world is and how everyone needs to know about Jesus. They understand the significance of being free to worship and to own our own bibles in our language. They want to do mission work now and in their future. I love that we are intentionally reading through the book of Matthew together. We love the read alouds...missionary biographies and Kindgdom Tales. We love the art projects and cooking projects. My dc are learning so much about the world. They know where so many countries are located which is so neat when we discuss current events. They are familiar with the countries and it ties it all together in their minds. I believe it will help them when we get into the history cycle. Having the geography background will cement their future studies by the foundation that was laid during our ECC year.

I agree that Properties of Ecosystems is a little challenging for my 3rd grader. She listens in and does as much as she can. She narrates back to me, but I don't always require her to complete the worksheets. It depends on the topic and the difficulty. On the weeks it is too much for her, she does more work from the Complete Book of Animals or spends more time on book basket books related to the science.

You asked about things we don't like. There really isn't anything I don't like about ECC, but there are a couple of things that are "not my favorite". Not a huge fan of the Wee Sing CD here. My kids do outside music lessons and choir so that fulfills our music requirement. My other "not favorite" is Living Book Encyclopedia. I actually love the book and it is packed full of information, but it is sometimes hard to teach from. I think next time around I will order an extra copy so each dc can have one to look at as I teach from it. I think that would solve my issue with it.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 03, 2014 1:34 pm

mothermayi,
I thought I would add a few things to my original post after looking up a few things.

MFW intends ECC for 3rd - 8th graders with 1st and 2nd graders being able to join in on some activities. It is a multi-grade guide. The main grid applies to all of the work that is very geared towards 4th - 8th graders. Then there is a line for science for 2nd and 3rd graders and a separate grid for 7th and 8th grade additions. On the grid itself there are advanced assignments for 4th - 8th that are generally too difficult for younger students. I think this is what the moms with more experience teaching the MFW cycle were explaining to you, and the reason the program covers a vast number of ages.

So, I looked up a few books on amazon out of curiosity. They have down the Exploring World Geography book as for 5th - 8th grades. This book is challenging, and I have been glad for that challenge for my advanced 10 year old. It doesn't work at all for my 7 year old. My just turned 9 can do some of it. This gives you some idea for that book. A Trip Around the World is geared towards K - 5th, which is why all of my children enjoy it. I think a 6th or 7th would enjoy it as well. Properties of Ecosystems is written for 3rd - 8th grades. It is also a challenging book, and I personally am enjoying it very much. Books like the Children's Atlas of God's World or Hero Tales can be enjoyed by any age. I think these different materials is what enables a mother to teach ECC to a variety of ages. Some of the program really reaches my dd7. All of it, except for 7th / 8th extensions, reaches my 10 year old. I see it reaching my 10 year old the most. He is advanced though for his age; so that may play in to his response as well. This is all to say that this program is very adaptable to teaching geography, ecosystem science, cultures, and missionaries to a large group of ages so that sibling learning can happen in the content subjects. The sibling learning for a 3 1/2 year age span is one of the true blessings that we are finding in ECC.

If you are thinking of it for all 3 of your school age children I think you would find something for all of them. There is writing in the copy work of scripture and character traits, dictation, vocabulary copy work, science note booking, and note booking for the geography. Then in addition to the writing in the program is writing in the LA recommendations of PLL / ILL and Writing Strands or an English program of your choice.

ECC is delightful. We had a lovely time at the park yesterday afternoon for the nature walk and drawing out doors. I think ultimately this program embraces for me our real goals of home schooling ~ Bible, missions knowledge, service, family learning, and strong academics.

I hope that helps in your decisions! :)

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Thu May 08, 2014 12:42 am

Thank you all! Your responses were helpful.

Gratitude,
Thanks for checking out the level of the books. For some reason, I always forget to do that :-). Also, I would only use ECC with my 10 year old as a filler year...well, I am still considering it along with other options. Right now I feel scattered ;-).

Thanks again Ladies!!
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu May 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Mothermayi,
These decisions can be difficult!

I am sorry I was thinking maybe you were thinking of it for your dd6. I remember you mentioning in past threads that your ds10 and dd6 are very advanced for their grades. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

If it helps any I am going to list out the skills I see in ECC for my ds10. I thought it might help if someone listed them out as you think it through, and could think of how it compares to your current program. He has always been very advanced for his age too. It is my challenge to keep him challenged and moving forward; he reads a lot and remembers everything he reads so it is challenging to keep things new for him to learn on a budget. The family learning for ECC though has been good.

ECC skills ds10 is doing:
*Copying scriptures that he memorizes once a week.
*Dictating scripture that he memorizes once a week.
*Copying character traits from Hero Tales. This varies. Some weeks it is 3 or 4 times, and other weeks it is less or none.
*Copying vocabulary words and illustrating (two words per week).
*English (for him it is Rod and Staff English 4 for grammar and paragraph work. MFW recommends: ILL and Writing Strands)
*Flag Sheet note booking ~ once every two weeks. He colors a flag and writes some sentences about the flag he colors. He has asked to only color the big flag on the flag note booking sheet and the person on the John 3:16 sheet (not the smaller flag on the second sheet).
*Science ~ varies. The work sheets can be looking up information and writing it down. They also can be doing a drawing. The nature walks also have drawing. It also mentions in the front of the TM to narrate and do a written narration on the Living World Encyclopedia. He does fabulous verbal narrations, but not so much with this book; so I will admit we don't do this part.
*World Geography Book: He likes geography so some of this he challenges himself to see how much he can do without looking at anything or a map. Other parts I have been helping teach him some research skills by learning to look up information.
*Maps ~ he challenges himself to see if he can fill them in by not looking.
*Geography game ~ he loves it.
*Art projects ~ he likes art.
*Cooking ~ he likes to cook.
*Hero Tales and book of Matthew ~ he has read both on his own, but is joining in and listening.
*Atlas ~ He likes all of them and reads them regularly on his own and listens in when I read to younger children.
*Flag book ~ he went through it and put every flag from every country on every country in the world. Since the countries are on maps I think he learned a lot from doing this.

I hope this helps. I never know exactly how to approach his education; so I just keep trying. I find advanced children can be challenging in the exact opposite ways of those with special needs. Fortunately he loves to read and loves to play and learns a lot from both. He has enjoyed the fun aspects to ECC, and as always wishes everything had less writing. ;)

Blessings,

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Thu May 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Gratitude,

Your post was very helpful! My kiddo sounds a lot like yours. My ds10 loves to read and play and remembers just about everything he learns or reads. It sounds like it should be easy to place him in a curriculum but as you mentioned, it requires just as much thought and care as my other kiddos that aren't eager learners. I am working to figure this out and bouncing between different ideas from different publishers. ECC just looks like a lot of fun :-). There is much info he can gain from ECC and if we go with it, I need to be sure to incorporate the skills he gained in our current curriculum so he will be prepared after ECC.
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu May 08, 2014 9:59 pm

mothermayi wrote: There is much info he can gain from ECC and if we go with it, I need to be sure to incorporate the skills he gained in our current curriculum so he will be prepared after ECC.
Then just continue with whatever you're using now for the 3 R's, and he'll be in good shape since MFW includes all those 'other' CM skills, too. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.