Ages - Younger/Older/Advanced in CtG

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
cbollin

Ages - Younger/Older/Advanced in CtG

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:10 pm

MelissaM wrote:Can anyone give me a general idea of the definitions of younger students vs. older students in CtG? And what age/grade is meant to do the Advanced assignments? If this info is somewhere in the TM and I'm missing it, please just point me to it; I'm not seeing it anywhere. Thanks a bunch!
It might be in the manual in the intro section as you look through each subject section. In general, I have found this guideline to work well with all of the mfw programs in the 5 year cycle. (this is mine and not mfw stuff).....

advanced
5th-8th - most likely about to do it. (however, crystal will admit that in CTG, her 5th grader didn't have to, but her 8th grader did.)
4th - give it a try with parent help, and play it by ear.
below 4th - not needed
MelissaM wrote:Thanks, Crystal - very helpful! Do you know if a 5th grader would be considered an "older student?" I've noticed some of the intro sections or some of the assignments (can't remember where I read it now...) have said, "If you have an older student you may want to consider having them..." and I'm not sure if I should be considering those things. Like the monthly reports for history or science? Stuff like that. Just trying to figure out goals and priorities, etc. Thanks so much!
For those CTG/RTR assignments.... (the monthly oral or written report from the chapter suggestions in Streams..... ) that's jr. high beef up. 7th/8th grade.

-crystal

Julie in MN

What counts as "older" students?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:10 pm

momma6pack wrote:I'm getting ready to order for next year and we are planning to do CTG. I will have a 5th, 3rd and 2nd grader in the mix (plus several other youngers). I don't have the TM yet but I've been reading various posts on these boards and I'm just wondering what age is considered "older" for MFW. Is it just the jr. highers? I don't know if it even matters, it's just that I've seen comments regarding only assigning certain work to older kids (like reports, longer reading etc.).

Blessings,
Caryn
I don't think it's specific because I think kids and families vary. To *me,* it looks like this:

2nd-3rd are youngers and will repeat the level, so nothing older for them

4th-6th gradually start adding when they are ready

7th-8th do everything :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

ctg with 3rd grader

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:18 pm

graceandjarrod wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Hi, I am wondering how any of you have found ctg to work with a 3rd grader? I heard that there is much information about other gods and that it is best to wait until your kids are in 4th grade and their world view and understanding of God is more established before starting ctg. What do you all think?
Hi Grace,
I don't have the exact experience you're looking for, but your post looked lonely so I thought I'd chat a bit :)

As you may have heard, "back in the day" there wasn't an Adventures program, and so folks did ECC in 2nd and CTG in 3rd. So there were plenty of families who made it through CTG with a 3rd grader. Also, many families have an older student and a 3rd grade younger sibling in CTG. So I thought I'd share some past conversations on those topics. This thread is mostly about younger siblings, but there are posts by Kellybell and Crystal/cbollin who did CTG before Adventures had been written: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1304

After Marie wrote RTR and was ready to start on EX1850, she was getting feedback from families that RTR was a stretch for some of the 4th graders. What I mean is, I don't think it was so much a CTG issue as it was RTR and looking ahead to ramping up each year after that. And, it was an oldest child issue, because we do tend to push our oldest children. So, Marie stopped and wrote Adventures before she wrote EX1850. So there's a bit of trivia for you, but maybe something to take into consideration.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but of course MFW would recommend Adventures and/or ECC for a 3rd grade oldest child. But maybe you are thinking about a younger sibling?

In either case, once ECC is on board, I think kids have a much different perspective about the ancient religions -- my son was a 4th grader, but he was only concerned for those we read about in CTG after the firm foundation of enjoying the world and praying for unreached people in ECC.

HTH,
Julie
graceandjarrod wrote:Julie,
Thanks for your reply. I will check that out.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Re: ctg with 3rd grader

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi, Grace. Have you completed ECC with your third grader? If not, I would vote for doing that one first, too. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:59 am

Hi Grace,

When we did CTG, I had a 2nd grader. I can tell you that it didn't affect her view of God at all. When we had discussed the gods that the Greeks served, I explained that they were something that people created to try and explain things on the earth. They didn't know the true God. Similar to the Egyptians in the bible. It seemed to cover it for her!

I am not sure how every family handles it, but it easily settled the matter for my daughter and she just enjoyed the "stories".

Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

allgrace

Unread post by allgrace » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:29 am

Ok. Thanks for sharing.

We have done what you shared as we read the OT. I wasn't sure if CTG would be different. We are doing ECC this year.
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds10: CTG
Dd7:MFW 1st
Dd5: MFW K
Ds 3: AAAT
Ds. 1: being very active😜