Science - Which courses to take when?

Julie in MN

Science - Which courses to take when?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Physical vs Biology in 9th
tiffany wrote:My daughter is a 9th grader this year. We started Apologia Gen. Science in 8th grade. She was not ready for it in 7th grade and really struggled through it in 8th and has not yet completed it yet. She has two modules left and has finally got a better grasp on the note taking and studying required for the subject.

I'm wondering what to do upon completion of this course. Whatever she starts next will be the start of her high school requirements. Looks like she will only finish 3 courses in HS as opposed to 4, just based on time remaining and her interest level. I sincerely doubt that she will go into a science related field. Should she go into Physical Science or move ahead to the the Biology course, given the fact that she is halfway through her Freshman year. So basically high school would be: Phys. Science, Biology, Chemistry OR Biology, Chemistry, Physics.

So what do you think?
Tiffany,
My own opinion is that you can do it either way. Kids in my area do it both ways.

If it were my child, I'd probably do the Physical Science next. It gives a stronger base for later chemistry & physics. And it's just easier for a non-science oriented child. But I'm a better-late-than-early type of gal, from birth on up :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

LA in Baltimore

Re: Physical vs Biology in 9th

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm

I know you are NOT thinking about colleges, yet ;) - but we are and one thing they have in common with their requirements is that they all don't agree!! :~

Definitely call MFW about this because they probably have a lot of experience with how lots of families have met this same challenge.

Agreeing with Julie that Physical Science will be a great base for other sciences.
Physical Science was a step up from General Science work wise, From General to Bio would probably be a BIG step. My son, who LOVES to read (War and Peace was just for fun in early high school ;) ) made a comment that he didn't enjoy how much reading was in the Biology course. Going with Physical Science next would follow the natural progression of the book series.

That said...
Every college has different requirements.
One example: My son is leaning toward Criminal Justice as a major. He is accepted at the Citadel and they require ALL students to have 3 years of math and 4 years of science (3 of which should be laboratory sciences). We actually added Marine Biology to his course load this year to fulfull that 3rd laboratory science. Since he is more of a Literature guy, Marine Biology fit his interests/strengths better than Advanced Biology or Physics would have. (Side Note: The Citadel will be requiring 4 maths AND 4 sciences starting with their entering freshman fall 2011)
This is just one example, but since you never know what to expect until you get to the end of your homeschool journey it seems best to follow a thorough college-prep sequence even if they don't continue on to college.

I hope this wasn't too confusing.
Even though it seems like a good idea to move on to Physical Science next, keep in mind that 3 more sciences might be required after that for your future planning.

One more thought...
Depending how completion oriented you are ;) You could skip the last two modules of General Science since they aren't counting toward her high school credits and start the Physical Science book sooner. If it works with your schedule, you could take Crystal's idea and continue through the summer with it.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:17 pm

keep in mind..... my oldest is only 8th grade ;)

Along the lines of planning ahead....
I'm not finding all colleges require 4 years of lab sciences. Like Lee Anne said it varies. The Citadel has some top notch requirements on that. wow!

I know where I live the umbrella schools strongly encourage college bound (regardless of major) to have 3 lab sciences. Typically it is Biology, Chemistry OR Physics, and then one other. So, people can do bio, chem and phys. or Bio, Chem and one other, or even Bio phys and one other.

for kids who do Biology as 9th grader this can mean a 12th grade year is an elective in science (such as marine biology or advanced chemistry) or the ability to meet a college requirement in science.

Some kids start bio in 10th grade.

Apologia says that the 8th grade Physical can count toward "high school credit" lab. from their FAQ on their site.

If I were in that boat, I"d probably plan this way:
1. call MFW and get David and Bret's advice.

2. if that were unavailable -- get started asap in Physical and go to summer school and finish it so that in 10th grade, kid is in Biology. This opens plenty of doors for having science all years except for getting in an advanced bio/adv. chem easily.

But I would encourage the student to work hard this summer and try to finish Physical before fall. That might not work for her abilities, but that's one option to plan for. (my "rationale" for suggesting finishing it in summer has to do with how my umbrella school counts credits. so that will vary from place to place.)
LA in Baltimore wrote:One more thought...
Depending how completion oriented you are ;) You could skip the last two modules of General Science since they aren't counting toward her high school credits and start the Physical Science book sooner. If it works with your schedule, you could take Crystal's idea and continue through the summer with it.
Actually, I was thinking the same thing during exercise class.

When I said start Physical asap -- I really meant, it's ok to not completely do all things or test or write labs in those last 2 modules in General since it's not counting for credit in 9th grade. If she really wanted the info to read through and just glean the info -- that could work. But since she's learned how to take the notes and all that -- either drop or zip zip through general modules that aren't yet done.

-crystal

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Completion oriented?! :-) Unfortunately that does not exactly describe things around here. That would be an idea. I could see what's left in the book that she would be missing. Maybe she could skip the labs and test so we could get through it faster. I know her 7th grade brother would be happy not to share materials any longer.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 am

I think she'd be better off doing the sequence in order without feeling the need to rush it. If a child is struggling in General ....or having to really work hard at it....will really be struggling if they try to complete Physical in 6 months. My oldest ds did make it through Marine Biology in less that 6 months but he was highly motivated ( ie I wasn't going to graduate him if he didn't complete 1 more science ;) ) and he had a strong science base.

My oldest dd has Physical Science on her hs transcript and is currently Pre-nursing....which is a surprise for me because I really didn't expect her to go into a science field. Her strength is elsewhere and she may very well change her mind in the next year or so......not because she isn't capable but her strength is really elsewhere.

She had a better grasp of science by taking her time and sticking with the apologia sequence and is doing well in her college science classes.
cbollin wrote:(my "rationale" for suggesting finishing it in summer has to do with how my umbrella school counts credits. so that will vary from place to place.)
Just to clarify, your umbrella school would not let you count Physical Science on your child's transcript even though the publisher states that it could be? I'm just really glad I never had to deal with an umbrella school!

Postby Wendy B. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm
I totally missed that the OP's dd was already in the 9th grade. In that case I'd drop General now and move directly into Physical and go year round until she completes the necessary science credits for her to graduate.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 am

No advice, but just wanted to tell you that my 8th grade daughter is doing General Science this year too (and I'm really *hoping* she will finish before the start of 9th, but as she's only through Module 3, and it's 1/2 way through the year, it isn't looking good. She is planning on working through the summer, so we'll see.), and will be doing Physical Science for 9th grade. Right NOW, our plan is Biology/10th; Chemistry/11th; and maybe Physics/12th. She is NOT a math/science oriented girl, but is college-bound, so we'll see how all that works out, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Wendy B. wrote:
cbollin wrote:(my "rationale" for suggesting finishing it in summer has to do with how my umbrella school counts credits. so that will vary from place to place.)
Just to clarify, your umbrella school would not let you count Physical Science on your child's transcript even though the publisher states that it could be?
No, that is not what I intended to say at all. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

The umbrella school would definitely permit Physical as a high school credit. They strongly prefer that year long courses get completed in the same grade level year. Physical science is a one year class. So that's why I was saying to consider starting it asap and encouraging to finish in the summer session. But....I know different styles of transcripts can show things different ways. There's more than one way to do it. Some people do mastery, or some call classes different things and it all works out. right? right.

It was just an opinion to encourage the student to work hard and to finish in a timely fashion. Sometimes they get motivated to work ahead once it gets easier with the skills learned in studying from general. Remember -- Dr. Wile (author of the apologia science) even says that a C in his courses is really good.

Also, when I worked for a science department in a university that had a physics class for nursing students --- we didn't always offer the class each quarter that they needed. So, it can't hurt to teach our children that there isn't always "next year" either. There were longer term issues for students. That's the other part where I'm coming from in theory. That university where I worked was NOT an academically "competitive" place -- but we had time limits on the kids for classes and they had to finish their coursework within certain timeframe to count and stuff like that. So, I have this crazy notion that I'll apply that same kind of thing to my kids.

so with that experience, I tend to try to mention that stuff to help think longer term than just the transcript -- but also the life skill involved. If Tiffany's daughter doesn't finish in summer, it can still be ok long term. I'm not proclaiming it is a death sentence or anything -- but just trying to encourage the thought process that sometimes we need to press forward too and encourage them to see what they can do. Then of course if they can't get the information and learn it -- of course they can adjust as needed.

just an opinion.
-crystal

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Okay ladies, this is what I'm thinking. I might move her straight into Phys. Science this week and give her a goal of completion by end of summer. She has caught on to the studying part and is much more adept. I'm not sure waiting is going to help her in that regard. I'm thinking this approach leaves the most options open for her, and helps her and her brother avoid the "dreaded sharing of materials."

Okay, so now I need to order my lab stuff, collecting lab materials is not my cup of tea. I'll have to do a search and see who is offering those now, been awhile since we've ordered anything.
Last edited by tiffany on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

tiffany wrote:Okay, so now I need to order my lab stuff, collecting lab materials is not my cup of tea. I'll have to do a search and see who is offering those now, been awhile since we've ordered anything.
MFW's guide should help you gather these more easily. But if you want to order them instead of gathering odds-n-ends, Lucy posted the official high school lab sources here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5806

I've also used Home Training Tools (that's their old name & still their website name -- their new official name is Home Science Tools). The nice thing about them is that they have a specific Apologia Physical Science kit, but if you click on the "order form" for it, you can see exactly what they include & what other things you might want to add, or you can subtract things that you already have. There's a small savings if you just go ahead & get the "kit," too.

Julie, who gathered way too many science materials for oldest dd

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:24 pm

So much good stuff! :-)
I'm enjoying tagging along on this thread.
I think we (homeschool moms and dads) can get so completion focused (even when we think we are behind ;) ) that we keep doing ALL the tests, ALL the Review Questions, ALL the ______________, ...
Sometimes a thorough read through and discussion without all the other "bookwork" can be a huge morale booster for a student who is feeling behind. And, it doesn't hurt the parents morale either! ;)

The idea of putting the GS book to rest and moving on sounds good. Even one of the most stringent states to homeschool in requires 2/3 of a book completed as evidence of a credit's worth of work. (It is not the only way, just one way, but that has always kept me focused when I feel like we are falling behind.) There aren't many subjects where you really HAVE to finish the book before moving on. Math is one as a general rule and subjects that are an advanced course from another more basic course.

Enough rambling... Keep the good ideas coming!

Bret Welshymer

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Tiffany,

Because of your daughter’s age, we recommend that you stop where you are in General Science and being with Physical Science right away. After completing Physical Science plan to do Biology, then Chemistry or Physics. This schedule should take your daughter through the end of 12th grade.

cbollin

Jr./Sr. high science placement question

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 pm

tiffany wrote:I have an 8th grader finishing up Gen. Science. He has 2 modules left which he is anxious to complete. He even asked if he could do extra science. He LOVES science.

On the other hand, I have a 10th grader who is only on mod. 7 of physical science. Much of that was to be completed over the summer, but because my time was divided with many other things, she did not make any headway over the summer. We should have ditched Gen. science earlier last year, but, oh well, hindsight and all that...

Our plan is for the 10th grader to complete 3 units of science in high school, which would be Phys. Science, Biology, and Chemistry. She is not headed for a science minded field or a university that would require 4 credits. She is doing much better so far this year keeping on track with her assignments, so I'll think she'll be able to complete our plan.

I'm guess I'm wondering how many of you are doing 3 vs. 4 credits? Also, would it work to include the 8th grader in the experiments as she does them for Phys. Science, so we will not need to repeat them so soon after? How do you handle experiments with kids so close in curriculum? They've had to share a science book before, and I must say I'm not looking forward to a repeat of that experience. Any thoughts?
Science: no clue on how to handle them that close together.

My oldest will probably do 4 credits of science since she's a science nerd. Biology (currently in that in 9th grade), Chem, Physics, and either one of the advanced versions of those, or maybe something else to fit some interest, or something. I'm still trying to figure out where computer science will fit: math or science? and I still don't know if we'll do "other" then Physics, or Physics then "other"

2nd child? who knows? probably 3.
3rd child: do special ed kids get to be exempted or .... ok.. panic attack set in....
I'm going to check my meatloaf now and cook taters or something.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovemy4kids

Re: Jr./Sr. high science placement question

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 am

I only have a few minutes but I'll try to give my two cents worth.

3 vs 4 credits. If she isn't going into a science heavy field then 3 should be fine. Check with the college she plans to attend.

Personally, I would not have the 8th do the experiments from physical science with the 10th unless the 8th is actually on that specific module ready to do that specific experiment. Reasoning..... The experiments are designed to teach a specific concept or idea...if you do them at the right time, after the appropriate reading they really make a lot more sense and the child gets alot more out of them. Just my personal bias.

So, there you have it, my two cents.... :) it may be worth less.... hee hee
Sandra

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:33 am

I did look up requirements for a few colleges that would be a possibility. One is a state school and only required 2 years of science. The other are private schools and they did not give specific credit requirements for each area of study. More of a general guideline with total number of "well-rounded" credits. Talk about vague. Sounds like 3 should be safe. The private schools evaluate your educational background based on your field of study. At this point, my daughter wants to avoid anything heavy math or science, and I don't see that changing.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 am

In AHL, Marie lists the requirements for three different colleges and the science expectation is 3-4 credits. I believe if you needed more, you would just have to take more in college? Anyways, like Crystal, I'm thinking of Computer Science as one possibility. And I figure there will be room in the last year to add, if needed. For example, a science course at the community college usually counts as a high school credit per semester. You could also just put the General Science on her transcript, if she did that during 9th grade, and let the colleges decide what to do about it? My experience is that transcripts are not an exact science. My ds's public school transcript was much messier than my youngest son's homeschool transcript will be :)
Julie

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:45 pm

ilovemy4kids wrote: Personally, I would not have the 8th do the experiments from physical science with the 10th unless the 8th is actually on that specific module ready to do that specific experiment. Reasoning..... The experiments are designed to teach a specific concept or idea...if you do them at the right time, after the appropriate reading they really make a lot more sense and the child gets alot more out of them. Just my personal bias.
Sandra
My thoughts were similar to Sandra's. Some of the test questions relate directly to experiments and the concepts learned by them. If you think he would remember by just reading over the experiment explanation in the textbook when he comes to it that may work for him and allow them to do the experiments together. Your 10th grader is currently about 12 weeks into Physical science. And your 8th grader is not quite ready to begin, so the time between when he will cover the concept in the Physical science is going to be some time if he does the experiments with your daughter. Just some thoughts to ponder as you decide which what will work best for your son.

MFW recommends as soon as your daughter finishes the Physical science have her begin Biology, even if she does not complete it this year. I wish I had thought to do this when my daughter completed Physical Science in the middle of 9th grade since Chemistry has taken a bit longer for her.

Hope some of that helps as you are making plans for your kids.

Lucy

Teresa in TX

Science - 11th and 12th grades

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:What are you planning for the 11th and 12th grade years of science? Originally I had planned: 9th biology, 10th chemistry, 11th physics, then 12th either dual enrollment or biology 2. I'm starting to think of biology 2 in 11th and chemistry 2 in 12th then just blow off physics altogether. I just can't decide. I dropped the ball on her lab stuff for biology and we didn't get the labs finished. I thought if I picked up with biology 2 and did all the labs it might make up for the failings in biology 1. I wish we had the $$ for each and every item for each and every year!!! Thoughts?
Julie in MN wrote:Hi Teresa,
Is there a particular reason you want to skip Physics? That might help to know.
Julie
That is a good question to which I have no answer!! One of dd's older friends is doing chemistry 2 this year, her sr. year, and has done no previous physics. It just made me start playing musical chairs with those sciences I guess. I never took physics, but I'm NOT the poster child for a good education, so...
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

LA in Baltimore

Re: Science - 11th and 12th grades

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't know if it really matters WHICH sciences you pick, unless of course, they are headed into a science field.
What we DID find important was the college bound student having at least 2 lab science courses. For one college in particular, physical science counted for a high school science, but could not count for one of the lab sciences. Just thought I'd add that in the discussion, in case it helps.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 pm

LA in Baltimore wrote:I don't know if it really matters WHICH sciences you pick, unless of course, they are headed into a science field.
What we DID find important was the college bound student having at least 2 lab science courses. For one college in particular, physical science counted for a high school science, but could not count for one of the lab sciences. Just thought I'd add that in the discussion, in case it helps.
and if you end up in a TN college, 3 lab sciences are the norm starting in about 2 years. (or maybe it is already in effect?)

-crystal

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:05 am

For my oldest, I'm planning on having her follow the sequence laid out by Apologia: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Advanced Biology. She has a strong interest in the human body, medical issues, and nutrition, and while she's still up the air about whether she *wants* to attend college and do anything with that in a "professional" sense, this is the field she'd want to go into if she DOES go to college. Thus, we're preparing her accordingly. I don't want to worry about whether she'll have "enough", kwim? The knowledge isn't going to hurt her even if she decides not to go. And if she doesn't go at age 18, who knows, she may decide to go back to school later. I don't want her to struggle needlessly the way her dad has with going back to school as a married adult with children, with a weak high school education and woefully unprepared for college level work.

I'm also not discounting the fact that she may be called to the mission field.... perhaps as a nurse. ;)

Praying our way through high school.....
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

Apologia: I don't wanna

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Stephc wrote:Ok.....I'm probably he only one like this:
I LOVE what Apologia stands for! I want to LOVE the curriculum! I just....don't.
I looked at their classes-- whew! Pricey! I looked at BJU prices: almost as much (I can't pay $ 400 or more for one class). I looked at Biology 101. People love them. But there's a lot of "this isn't a complete curriculum" in the reviews.
Fact is, I just don't have the time at this point in my life to teach science the way a high schooler (or even jr higher) needs it taught. I also think that Apologia Biology might be too much for my rising 9th grader. I LOVED biology, so it's not that I'm not "sciencey" and just don't want to do it. I just can't right now.
Is there anything affordable out there that she can do on DVD? Something interesting? She says she wants to be a meteorologist,but finds icky stuff ReALLY icky, so I don't think biology is going to be her forte. But we have to do science. Any suggestions?
Ideas on this...

if you went with apologia...
Do you think she'd do well with the Apologia if she had an online help? Marty, I don't know her in real life, is awesome with her blog for Apologia books.
http://homeschoolersresources.blogspot. ... ology.html
extra quizzes, videos.
and even a quick link to applie's online labs and virtual dissections.
http://appliejuice.wordpress.com/apologia-biology/
:)

2. Does it have to be DVD taught? or just easy on 9th grader?

3. Does it have to biology this year? or just a high school level other lab science of interest?

What about the DIVE science DVD for biology?
http://www.diveintomath.com/cgi-bin/com ... egory=012C
it's not the apologia classes -- so you don't have the cha ching!

But I had to link to Marty and the other site -- talk about feeling like you're not alone in using apologia even though you're at home....

I know there are other programs and all of that. I don't have experience with everything. so I just share what I know.

-crystal

Stephc

Re: Apologia: I don't wanna

Unread post by Stephc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Thank you SO much, Crystal!
Ok, maybe we CAN do this. In one of your links I found another valuable resource: virtualhomeschoolmgroup.com. They have lectures on there!

So no, it doesn't have to be online or DVD or anything, I just know I can't do it. I want to give her the greatest chance at success. Most of all I want her to retain the info!

And no, it doesn't have to be biology. She would love to take meteorology. I doubt here's a curriculum for that. Lol!
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

Julie in MN

Re: Apologia: I don't wanna

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Stephanie,
I'm glad you got some ideas! I'm just chiming into sympathize, since I have a son who dislikes science textbooks in general. And he even likes science and math :) A couple more thoughts:

- I had my son do Physical Science in 9th grade. Not sure if your son has already done that, but in my area, even the college-preppy public school does Conceptual Physics in 9th, so it's not going to look all that strange. I felt like 9th wasn't even high school in my day, so we did that. I changed things up some by adding some scientist biographies, etc, but I felt comfortable doing that even with a kid who might be headed towards a mathy/sciency future.

- Glad you found the VirtualHomeschoolGroup. You can watch videos, or you can actually be in a class. Both are free, amazingly (or freewill offering). The class is nice because they play online games instead of the textbook review and such. It might have a little less value in textbook-reading-prep, but my son feels like the info is the same.
Stephc wrote:Thanks so much Julie! I'm going to have my rising high schooler do science with middle schooler and see where she is before we start another year. I believe that will give us the best answer.
You know, I've used other things, too. One thing I'll mention is to be open to the student needs developing over the school year. Usually second semester finds me with a different student than I had during the first semester.

Best wishes in meeting her needs,
Julie
Stephc wrote:I am really hoping for a different student this year! I have high hopes that MFW will help her mature and make her want to buckle down a bit. She is SO smart, but just not a go getter, which makes for sort of a lazy student. She does her work faithfully, but never anything extra and is constantly saying how much she hates doing school. Her attitude is just.....indifferent, maybe? she would love it if she could just float through life and never have to do another day of school.

cbollin

Jr High/High School Science

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 am

rjsmomma wrote:We had a rough year with Apologia's General Science this year. My science loving dd stopped loving science and started dreading it. Some of this is a learning curve that she didn't do well with. In planning for next year's science (she did ask to stay with Apologia despite the problems this year), I started looking into what our state requires of it's high school graduates. Our state requires 3 science courses...
1. Earth/Space - I really haven't seen much on the market for this on the high school level - recommendations?
2. Biology
3. Physical Science - which I believe Chemistry and or Physics will cover.

I was a little surprised to find earth/space science included (though I remember taking that class in high school), because most homeschool science curriculums cover that in elementary. Not sure what I should use for that. Plus I was wanting to have dd take 2 biology courses in high school which may mean skipping physics (she and I are really okay with that:). She like biology and is leaning toward some type of degree in a biology/environmental/animal science type of field.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone has suggestions on how to fill in the earth/space requirement. Thanks
disclaimers....
as homeschoolers, we usually don't have to do it exactly like public school track.
some of it will be what do the colleges want to see - especially if one is planning on biology, or related field. so.... keeping those factors in mind...

I enjoy the clicking of keys to look at state universities entrance requirements. I'm going with Michigan for looking up stuff. Michigan State wants to see "two years of science (biology, chemistry, physics, or earth science)" (on another brochure of MSU, it says 4 years stronger... but earth science is not required to be part of that path.) U of Michigan - for their engineering and math majors want to see "and four units of science–with at least one unit each of chemistry and physics." so, I'd plan more for college entrance, and multiple options are allowed in a strong science path.

doesn't mean you can't do earth science in 9th, but it's hard to find materials for that. and you'll have to add lab to make it a lab science in high school too... and ... hmm... options options...

but, I'd look into whether or not colleges in your state (public and private) want to see it or don't object to something like Biology (9th) , Chemistry (10th) , Advanced Biology (11th) , Physics (or Adv Chemistry) (12th). I know it did not hurt me never taking what the other 9th graders took. There were options in the mix. if you go different route than regular track in your state, and have time for dual enrollment in 12th grade ... is that going to hurt the college application? and what about out of state applicants who took earth science in 8th? they'll be ok. :)

If you have a stronger track, it probably will look good. I"m with you.... "earth science" tends to be 8th grade science with the major textbook publishers. I guess I was on "fast track" in my high school days because I took Biology a year early in 9th grade and other 9th graders did earth science stuff..... but yeah... those topics tend to fall in 8th... you might have to go to a secular publisher for your state or something..... abeka and bju list it as 8th grade... the few things I'm finding for high school earth science (should you go that route)... standard school textbook publishers
Pearson
Glencoe (which is part of the mcgraw hill family of texts)
both of them have high school "earth science"

if you like young earth resources...consider searching for Geology at high school.
You might pull together a high school level program from Answers in Genesis's Geology All in One Kit offerings. They do seem to offer a "geology format" for secondary schools. lots of videos and such.

or plan for a slightly different route that allows for science in all 4 years of high school that would give time to take an advanced course. I don't see how having advanced courses in 12th in lieu of 9th grade earth science would hurt for college entrance since those state schools I looked at didn't require earth science.. it was ok to take it and didn't harm them... but not a requirement. They want to see 3 sciences, 2 with labs, and 4 years is better especially if you can do both Chem and Physics.

hope something in there helps a bit. key take away from my ramblings:
*if your state doesn't require homeschoolers to follow an exact sequence, then plan for what colleges prefer to see. and in science, there is flexibility in sequence.

I wanted to make sure I said this...... if you do earth science, it's not a bad thing or meaning that they'll never go to college in stem major or something like that.

-crystal

Wendy B.

Re: Jr High/High School Science

Unread post by Wendy B. » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

Couple of thoughts.

Do you need to follow the state's requirements for public school graduation? This answer depends on the laws that govern homeschooling in your state.

What are the science requirements for colleges that your dd is interested in attending? If she is interested in entering a particular field of study that is science based, then I would also look at each individual departments recommedations for highschool level study.

You mentioned that she is intereste in biology/environmental/animal science. If she is truly interested in environmental then an earth/space science course might make sense to take as background for her future study. Take a really good look at undergraduate requirements of the different degree plans. Taking a 2nd Chemistry course might make a lot of sense depending on the undergraduate study she wishes to undertake.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.