Sending private messages (PM)

This forum will contain information about the message board software. Use this area to ask questions about how to use message board.
cbollin

Sending private messages (PM)

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 am

RB wrote:OK, I admit I am computer challenged. I just tried to send someone a PM and it looked like it stayed in the outbox and never went to "sent". Did I miss something? What are the steps to follow?
&)

And now how do I even get back to that PM screen to check what happened to it?
thanks
Here's what is going on with PM and Outbox vs. Sent.

When you send a PM on this forum, it goes to the Outbox and stays there until the person reads it. Then it automatically transfers to the Sent Box. You know if they saw it or not. nice little feature.

While it is in Outbox, you can actually delete it before they read it. they'll get a message saying it was deleted but can't read the original.

To get to your PM box, you can simply click on the place near the top of the screen where it says
User Control Panel, (0 new messages) view your posts. (well, actually it could say a different number than 0 on the new messages.....)

click on the (number new messages) for quickest access to PM box.
Or go through UCP (user control panel) button, then click on the PM from there.

-crystal

RB

Re: Sending private messages

Unread post by RB » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Crystal,
Thanks for the info...What a cool feature this PM thing is!!
-RB
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

cbollin

PMing! Help!

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:45 pm

mgardenh wrote:Ok, I have never PMed someone and I received a message from someone and I replied. I pressed the send PM message button. I see it in the outbox but it is not in the sent box. So did I send it or do I need to do something else? Help!
No worries, Mike. You did it right.

First it goes to "outbox". Once the person reads it, it automatically goes to Sent. It's a way to see automatically know if they've read it yet.

Neat thing? If you realize that you messed up the PM, you can delete it in the Outbox before they read it. I know I did that a few days ago with a non working link. Realized it after hitting submit, but before the person read it. So, I deleted it from the outbox and did it again :)

and also, you can edit it, while it is in the outbox. that's nice too.

-crystal

Julie in MN

PM Outbox

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 am

Wonderobyn wrote:I am new to this board and not sure about how the PMs work. The message says it is in my "outbox" not in the "sent mail". Does this mean the message has not been sent, and if so, how do I send it? =/
Joy =)
Joy, it just means that she has not opened the message yet. Until that time, you can edit or delete the message. Once it has been opened on the other end, it will go to your "sent" box.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Private Messages

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:39 pm

meagabby wrote:Can anyone help me figure this out?

I have used private messages before with no problem, only now when I try to send one, I see it still in my outbox. It doesn't appear to have been sent even though I thought I did. It is not in the drafts folder... It's not showing up in the sent folder either.

I don't know if I changed a setting or what... any ideas?
When you send a message, it will go in your "outbox" at first. It stays there until the recipient opens it up. During that time, you can go back in and edit it or delete it, if you like.

Once the recipient opens up your message, then you will see it will move over into your "sent" box.

Does that help?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mom2theteam

Re: Private Messages

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 pm

This confused me too at first. ;)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 am

and if you go back and delete it before the person has a chance to read it, they still get a noticed in their PM box saying "this message deleted" in big unfriendly red letters. So the person knows you sent something, but changed your mind.
in case anyone ever wondered about that aspect.

meagabby

Unread post by meagabby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks Julie, I didn't know that... that was what was happening.

And Crystal, that's good to know...

I didn't know (or remember) about it being in the outbox until the recipient read it...

Wow, what one must think if they receive a message in big red letters about a deleted message. !! :~
Loving learning with MFW!