Weeks 27 & 28 (with Water; Fractions)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Tami in IA

Weeks 27 & 28 (with Water; Fractions)

Unread post by Tami in IA » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:55 am

HAMANTASHEN

I found a recipe & direction for folding the cookies on Judaism 101. They are near the bottom of the page.
http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm
Married to Tom, and we have two blessings DS 8 & DD 7.
1st- 2007-08
Adv.- 2008-09
ECC - 2009-10

cmtcreative

read-alouds for 1st Grade

Unread post by cmtcreative » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

We just finished MFW First Grade and I wanted to post a read-aloud we really enjoyed this year.

Joel: A Boy of Galilee by Annie Fellows Johnston--this story is beautiful. The boys and I looked forward to every reading of it. An "eye witness" account of living at the time of Jesus. A powerful story about forgiveness.

Cassie

Cyndi (AZ)

GFCF Hamantaschen (cookies for MFW1)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:33 am

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:31 pm
I just have to share this recipe for gluten-free casein-free Hamantaschen cookies! They turned out so good, they are now my favorite cookie!!!
  • 1 stick Nucoa (dairy-free) margarine
    1 cup sugar (I used half xylitol)
    1 egg
    2 Tbs orange juice
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp xanthan gum
    2 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (I use Bob's Red Mill)

In mixer, cream margarine and sugar. Add egg, mix. Add OJ and vanilla, mix.

In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and xanthan gum.

Add flour mix slowly to wet mixture and mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

Roll out dough onto pastry sheet dusted with white rice flour. Roll to 1/8 - 1/4 inch thickness. DO NOT OVERWORK DOUGH. Cut into circles with 3-inch wide glass. Fill each circle with about 1/2 teaspoon of apricot preserves. Fold up 3 sides of circle and pinch edges firmly to form triangle with opening at center to let filling peek through.

Bake at 375 degrees on lightly greased aluminum (not non-stick) pan for about 15 minutes. Let cool and transfer to plate. Makes 26 hats!
These are beautiful, totally yummy cookies! My first batch into the oven came out so much better, and I'm sure it was because the follow-on batches were re-rolled, so be careful not to overwork the dough. (Maybe give the 1st grader their own spot of dough to play with . . . )

JoyfulDancer

Re: GFCF Hamantaschen (cookies for MFW1)

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:25 pm
Hm, I'll have to try that recipe. We don't have to worry about the casein, so I use a variation of my mom's:
  • 1 c butter or margarine (can use casein free kind)
    1 8 oz. block of cream cheese (try Tofutti soy cream cheese - I always liked that, but not sure if it will cook well)
    2 c gf flour mix (I like Bette Hagman's white rice flour mix)
    2 tsp. Xanthan gum

Cream butter and cream cheese. Mix Xanthan gum into flour. Add in flour a little at a time to cream cheese mix. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Will be slightly gooey when warm, which is why it needs to be refrigerated. Roll out, using more flour or corn starch on surface and rolling pin (will need lots). Cut out using 3" cutter or glass. Fill with favorite filling. We like Nutella and a favorite flavor of all-fruit jam. Bake at 350 for 20 min til slightly tan (will NOT brown, are practically white). Let cool.
Yum!
Used MFW since 2004, never anything else. Currently 1850-Mod.
8th grader started MFW in 1st
6th grader started in prek
3rd/4th grader started in prek
2.75yo lives to make noise and make us laugh
angelbaby in heaven waiting for us to join him.

Poohbee

Esther Costume

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:20 am

Posted Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:41 am by Poohbee
We just finished MFW 1st about a month ago. What a great year!

We didn't do the Bible costume when it was recommended in the TM. Instead, we did the costume when we did our Purim celebration. My dd loves the story of Esther, so I thought she might enjoy dressing up as Queen Esther. She loves Ancient Egypt, too, and she was Cleopatra for Halloween the previous year, so we used her Cleopatra costume and instead, she was Queen Esther. It is a white "dress" with gold collar, wrist bands, headdress, etc. It was probably not very authentic for Queen Esther, but my dd had fun, and she looked very "royal".

So, my point is, when you do your costume, you can just use what you have and adapt some clothing that you have at home. Unless your goal is to make it more authentic...then you'll probably need to create something. You could turn it into a bit of a research project, if you want, and help the kids discover what type of clothing was worn, what colors they wore, etc. And then you could try to create something along those lines. We just used what we had and had fun dressing up for the day. And, it worked very well for us to do the costume during the Purim celebration, so it's like we were dressing up for a purpose.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Erna

Science With Color

Unread post by Erna » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:38 pm

We added an extra bit to our science activity this week. The topic was "Taking in Water." We added drops of food colouring to water and put white carnations in them to see what would happen. It was a great little activity to go along with the theme. My girls were able to arrange the flowers afterward. We tried primary colours and mixed some food colouring to make secondary colours. The results were interesting.

tangomoon

1st grade fractions - silly question

Unread post by tangomoon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

kanderson wrote:So we have just started fractions (formally anyway). CBOM pages have them coloring in 1/2 , 1/3, 1/4 of pictures etc.

My question is when I'm reading the directions aloud to ds- should I pronounce 1/4 as one- fourth or one- quarter, or both ways? Without thinking I pronounce it as one quarter, but then my ds looked confused because he associates the bottom number with how many pieces it's broken into. Kind of funny, he obviously know what 1/2 is just from everyday experience but when he looked at it on paper he asks - "what is one- second?" 8[]

Just wondering how you all would address this.
~Kristin
I'd probably mainly use one-fourth, but would also use one-quarter at times since that is a common usage, linking it to clock times or money to make it a bit easier to grasp.

Ashlie

Bible Notebook - Daniel

Unread post by Ashlie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:32 pm

This is year 2 in homeschooling and MFW and we LOVE it! Today was just another example of how I'm loving the Word soaking into my boys and seeing them apply it to their understanding. My oldest read about Daniel in his reader and as I read the narration to him, he colored the pic and I noticed he added a pillow, sleeping bag, and food to the drawing. I asked him about it and he reasonably explained that Daniel might have asked the angel to bring him those things so he could rest and eat in the morning. :) I love that expression of childlike faith. It ministered to me today!

Poohbee

Re: NT portion of LGS 1st grade

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Both of my dds were reluctant writers in 1st grade. We continued with the NT reading and writing, but I let them have a bit of choice in their writing. We would read the NT stories each day, but we only did the writing about 2 times a week. I let them choose any of the stories we had read that week to write about. That way, they weren't writing every single day, but they were still writing. Also, they were able to have some choices about their writing topics. I think the summarizing is important, even if it is just one or two sentences.

If your child likes writing, but is not enthusiastic about the NT summaries, maybe only doing it 2 days a week and then allowing some creative writing the other days would be motivating. :-)
Jen

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I thought finishing the NT was the most important part, so all 3 of my oldest have done it. I love the OT dearly, but NT is the Gospel and finishing of the Holy Scriptures.

None of them liked the writing in MFW1. They liked narrating the stories, but not writing for them. They loved doing the drawings.

What I did to help with writing:
- dictate to me (my oldest did this). I wrote most of his note book. He was a great reader with less writing abilities. He read, narrated, drew, and dictated to me.

- second two dictated to me one sentence and I wrote it; then they copied the one sentence.

I started more writing in second. For me in first grade the reading and learning Bible was more important.

I kept reading NT Bible too. When MFW stopped the stories in the TM I read them from actual scripture or the Egermeir.

I hope that helps.

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:49 pm

I love these ideas! Thank you! I've been combining dictation work with the summary each day. I stopped having him make up the sentence. Now I make up one to dictate to him for spelling practice as TM recommends (although it doesn't say to do it this way). I thought by combining the two, we'd get done a little faster. I like the idea of continuing to have him narrate the NT story back to me, regardless of whether or not it's a Bible Notebook day. And I like the idea of him writing in the Bible Notebook only twice per week. I think I'll use one of the two Bible Notebook days for dictation, and the other for his personal summary. That should cover all the bases, without skipping the NT. We can do other creative writing projects the other days.

Here's my plan (writing it out helps me):
I'll read him the Bible Story
He reads it to me from the Bible Reader
He narrates it back to me
On Bible Notebook Day 1: He draws picture and I dictate the written summary.
On Bible Notebook Day 2: He draws picture and writes his own summary.
Other days, we'll do other creative writing, instead of Bible Notebook (but without skipping the Bible story itself).

Next Question: How do I help him summarize a story? I'm not even so good at this. We've both struggled this year to get it short enough. Even if I'm satisfied with one sentence, it bothers him that I've left out details. Dealing with two very detailed people here! Lol!
Last edited by bethinga on Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:14 am

For summarizing have him think what happens first,second, then, next, finally...there's no right way your just asking for recall of what's been read.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Sorry- I should've clarified, shortening the written summaries. That's what we need help with.

We tried the schedule I wrote out here this morning. It went well, all except his creative writing.

He chose what to write about, and I told him to write for just 5 min. I set a timer. He wouldn't get started, bc he was getting too distracted. So I had him tell me what to write. I wrote his story verbatim, then asked him to copy it for just 5 min, and I assured him we'd stop then no matter how far he got. I set the timer. He got distracted. So far, not one word written. I set a piece of candy near him, told him he could have it after he copied his story for 5 min. Set the timer. He got distracted.

Anytime I check on him and remind him not to get distracted, he freaks out and acts like I'm yelling at him (I'm not. I'm calm as a cucumber and kind to boot.)

This happened so many times today, I finally DID get mad and sent him to his room. Then we calmed down and started over. This time, I sat him at a little table facing the wall and set the timer for 5 min. He finally started writing!! Beautiful handwriting for his age, so that's not the trouble.

We've been having trouble with him getting distracted during the writing portion all year. I thought it might be the subject matter. But today, he chose the subject matter, and it was a topic he loves. Arg! Pulling my hair out! I hope my daughter will enjoy writing when it's her turn. Do boys ever grow to like writing?? Or, I should say, will he ever outgrow getting distracted??
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:06 am

Hi! I wanted to try and encourage you about your son and writing. My daughter was exactly the same way when we did 1st grade, only she didn't have nice handwriting. LOL! ;) It bothered me as well and I struggled with having her learn to write without making both of us lose our minds. We switched to mostly dictation (with a lot of prompting) in 1st grade. She improved a bit this past year with Adventures, but we still did a lot of dictation and I helped a good bit with coaching her on what/how to write. I finally relaxed about it and knew she would eventually learn. Now that we're at the end of 2nd (7yrs & 10 mo. old), she's finally starting to want to write for fun (never did before).

She wrote a poem yesterday. It rhymes and has a cadence and everything! I was impressed. I think a lot of it is a maturity thing and all children get there at a different rate. We deal with some dysgraphia issues as well (difficulty forming letters, still reverses letters after 7yrs, etc). But, I think in general she just needed more time. I love that MFW is sensitive to this and is gentle with writing in the early years. Even in Adventures, I felt that the writing was on the light side compared with some other programs, which was perfectly fine with us!! I know that's by design and it's easy to add more writing for advanced writers, at the same time not overwhelming the children who are not yet ready for more.

Enjoy the end of 1st...I'm about to begin it for the second time with my oldest ds and am excited. :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Thank you for that encouragement! It makes me feel better. When he was little, he never wanted to color. We didn't pressure him at all. But one day, at age 5, he just started coloring! Maybe this will be the same. He is 7. He does still write some letters backwards. But in checking over his work, he'll usually catch it. I appreciate you sharing that.

Distraction is something we deal with often with him. He's very focused if it's Legos, a book he's reading, etc. But in the shower, or getting dressed, writing....it's an uphill battle. Not sure what to do about this. I remember being the same way as a kid. In 4th grade, I regularly had to sit inside at recess to finish my desk work. :-/ Hmmmmm....Is there a solution?
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:35 pm

bethinga wrote:Sorry- I should've clarified, shortening the written summaries. That's what we need help with.
I think learning to write concise summaries is a great goal and a good thing you're working on. I just wanted to mention that each student is going to have his strengths and weaknesses. My youngest is very concise, that is not hard for him. However, he is very poor at including a lot of accurate detail. My dd was the opposite. So we worked on their weaknesses and enjoyed their strengths. Now as young adults, they still have those traits but I hope we have strengthened their weak areas a little over the years.
bethinga wrote:Anytime I check on him and remind him not to get distracted,

Do boys ever grow to like writing?? Or, I should say, will he ever outgrow getting distracted??
I like to encourage "school hours" for mom and student(s). In a classroom, a student always has a teacher present and usually lots of other students, all doing schoolwork together. At home, I think our students also need us to model for them that school is important and can be focused on for the 1.5 hours or whatever it takes to get done each day. If the student is doing "independent work" and mom isn't needed for direct teaching, then mom can still sit next to him, preparing the next day's lessons at the table or reading the manual. My boys, at least, would never have focused on schoolwork if they were sitting alone by themselves, or if I were doing other things, at least not in elementary school. I know busy moms can have a hard time dedicating that full time to school, but I really think even mom will get more done each day if you do.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:40 am

I agree with Julie about the school hours and being near or present while the kids are doing their work. That's not to say you haven't been doing that with your son, but it's just a good reminder. I sometimes find myself drifting off to do some housework while my kids do independent work if I don't remind myself now and then to attend to school. If you have younger kids, you may have to attend to them during independent work time. I often need to go check on my son and spend a bit of time playing with him while my daughters do their independent work. But, if my son is playing well by himself, after I check on him, I return to our school room and am just there, present, while my girls work on independent work. As Julie mentioned, I use that time for planning the next day's lessons or do any correcting of work that the girls have completed so far. I check in with my girls periodically to see how their work is going or if they need help with anything. During our "school hours" I try to keep my focus on school until our time is done, and then I can work on other things. I view it as a full time job, just as I did when I was teaching in a public school. Hope that helps. :-)
Jen

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:37 pm

Oh no, I don't mean that I'm not right there beside him. I've moved my daughter's K work to the adjoining living room bc being at the same table with him was distracting him. Now I either sit right beside him doing my own school planning, or I'm moving back and forth between dd and ds. When I say I'm checking on him to remind him not to get distracted, I mean I'm checking on him from my seat right beside him, or I've spent a couple of minutes with dd and have walked back to his table. We absolutely dedicate school hours to school, mom included.

I also keep both kids at the same table unless I can see it's going to keep him from writing. If so, that's when I move her to the adjoining room. All the rest of school we do all together. It's the one 5 min section of simple writing that he's dragging through bc he forgets, dawdles, daydreams, you name it. Then it takes much, much longer than 5 min.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Ah, well, I was no help then LOL.

Is there any way you could make it more active? Maybe he stands up, writes on a marker board & you take a snapshot of that, dictates out loud, types in giant letters, writes in colored marker on big newsprint, creates a puppet show?

I have a heart for little boys who don't like to sit still or to use a pencil ;) I think they can still be encouraged that they are good learners and that self-discipline can take place elsewhere, not associated with composition.

Not to say I haven't seen others succeed in amazing ways where I did not. Just one point of view!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 am

I haven't started 1st yet, but I do have an extremely active, impulsive, distractible little boy (ADHD, sensory processing disorder) :-) I am agreeing with the others to stay near him until work is completed, which you are already doing.

Also, writing for him is a good idea. I even do that sometimes for my older writing phobic 9 year old dd.

My biggest piece of advice is to incorporate activity. I like Julie's idea of letting him stand (we do that), writing on dry erase board, etc. A couple more ideas...Let him sit on one of those exercise balls when he is doing seat work. Put it right up to the table. I do this for all of my kids but it works wonders for my two focus challenged ones. I also bought little seat cushions for their chairs that allow them to wiggle a little when working. You could use an old beach ball by inflating it very slightly so when he sits on it, it is a little wiggly. This was too noisy for us which is why I purchased cushions, but for the wiggles it worked. I let him jump on a little exercise trampoline during school breaks. Or, he does wall push-ups, jumping jacks, or spins. My sensory seeker even does better if he gets a good tickle session in there. :-) Do a search for ideas on keeping sensory and adhd kids focused for school (not saying your son has these, but I use the ideas for my typical child as well).

Another idea that my kiddos liked for writing was getting them a cool, fun writing utensil. For my girls, it was gel pens. For my wiggly boy, he liked felt tip markers. Hope something in here helps.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6