Choosing 1st vs. joining YOUNGER sibling

Learning God's Story
cbollin

Choosing 1st vs. joining YOUNGER sibling

Unread post by cbollin »

blessingtree wrote:I have two boys, one 6 yo that is finishing up another kindy program. A 4yo that already knows letter sounds and can do prek math. I'm not sure if I should buy just the 1st grade and do younger stuff with 4yo or if I should buy K and 1st. I really would love for the older to experience K!! It sounds SO sweet and I wish that we would have chosen it for this year. SIGH. Anyway, I just wonder if I can add things in to the K program to made it more challenging for 6yo or if he should do the 1st. Any thoughts are truly appreciated! I really want him to experience at least the 1st grade curriculum. I really want to lay that Biblical foundation that everyone has loved with k & 1st.
Have you read some thoughts from the author of MFW on how to use K and 1st together?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191

I don't know if the 4 y.o is ready for Kindy level seat work. But there's a plan to teach them both.

You might be able to start in and still not miss out on Biblical foundation. I know my oldest never did MFW for K or 1st.

Welcome along....
blessingtree wrote:You're so sweet to help me! Thank you for the welcome. I am SO excited to begin using MFW! My 6yo read the sample chapter from the Bible reader in the 1st grade sample online. He did need help with a few words. He will be 7 in August. I did a test online for him with reading and he was a 1st-2nd grade level reader, though more on the 1st level for sure! He cannot write sentences at all on his own. He can write a couple of words that he has memorized, and can do copywork, but not a lot without complaining.

My little one will actually be four in May, but he will sit and do school work for an hour at a time! He has been sitting in on our phonics and has actually done some of the work in the first explode the code books. I'm happy waiting on any formal work with my little one. I was just debating on if I could wrangle them together in K or 1st. I'm leaning towards 1st for my older, and letting the little one sit in. Although I'm happy doing the K with both and adding things for the older. I just wonder if it would be too easy for him. Thank you for your thoughts!!
after reading more info...

If 1st grade is too slow, it could be sped up a little as needed... You'd want to use the "phonics" parts for "spelling" and more penmanship. Use the deluxe package and the resource book in there Honey for a Child's Heart as extra books for just reading and enjoying and letting the 6 y.o have reading practice. You might find as the year goes along that you finish 1st grade sooner than the end of the school year and start ADV "early". But, 1st and preschool tag along sound doable and good to me too.

I'm thinking the 4 y.o will like some things in the 1st grade deluxe as well with the pattern animals, and Come Look with Me books. Plenty for 4 y.o to do in 1st with science and listening in and various Bible activities. And when he is 1st grade age, it will be fresh and fun to do again. When the first grader is doing "worksheets" and writing, the 4 y.o could use MFW Preschool lace and link letters and work on making letters too., then let him draw and write in shaving cream on bathroom wall, or salt in a baking tray or other non pencil and paper methods.

-crystal
Julie in MN

Re: How to choose K or 1st?

Unread post by Julie in MN »

blessingtree wrote:I really want to lay that Biblical foundation that everyone has loved with k & 1st.
I like the idea of doing 1st for the older, and the little one can sit in on the fun stuff, maybe doing the preschool program for his "language arts and math." Then the next year, K and Adventures, and both will be fresh and new. They are both short enough that the siblings could join in one another's activities as they have an interest, or you could combine some things from one program for both, like music and art and such.

I agree, I wish my kids had experienced MFW's K.
cbollin wrote:grandson grandson grandson... you want to get 2nd edition..... LOL!
You KNOW I'm going to have a hard time leaving convention without K for my grandson! My better-late-than-early nature resists the idea of putting a little one through K twice a day :) but maybe I should look up ideas for "afterschooling" <sigh>

Sorry to digress!!!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
blessingtree

Unread post by blessingtree »

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I will go with 1st and preschool. DONE! Now I can get back to life. Ahhh! Big smile. You ladies were a tremendous help for me. God bless you!
Ashleigh...
Married to best friend 11 years and counting!
Mommy to two precious little boys: Baker (6) & Bear (4)
MFW 1st grade in fall 2012
Rod and Staff pre-K/K Fall 2012
forHisglory

Unread post by forHisglory »

blessingtree wrote:Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! I will go with 1st and preschool. DONE! Now I can get back to life. Ahhh! Big smile. You ladies were a tremendous help for me. God bless you!
blessingtree-

I think this is a really good idea! Welcome! I am new on here too, though not new to MFW. When my oldest was 6 (almost 7) and my youngest was 3 (almost 4), we used MFW 1st. Ethan (oldest) was probably about the same reading level when we began our school year as your oldest is now. And when we finished MFW 1st, Ethan was reading Little House on the Prairie by himeself! He was at about a 4th grade reading level. :) I cannot say enough good things about MFW 1st! My little guy, Evan, did well tagging along and sitting in on our readings and he loved the science!!! I did order MFW preschool for Evan, and he loved using the manipulatives--but it's absolutely not necessary to order the program, in my opinion.

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you along and let you know that I think you will be please with your decision. My most wise advice: read the teacher's manual in it's entirety! There are so many nuggets of gold throughout! I did not read the TM very thoroughly the first time I used MFW 1st. Tomorrow will be our first day using it for Evan ( I re-ordered everything again since I sold my set a couple of years ago), and I have read the beginning of the TM (instead of skipping and just teaching from day 1) and can see how much more depth there is to the program when you read what Marie has written to prepare us to teach. HTH! Wishing you blessings! Oh, and another thing...the Biblical foundation laid in 1st is amazing and is worth it's weight in gold!!! We loved learning the books of the Bible and the Proverbs! :-)
Believing Christ's Love and Grace,
Shannon W.
http://www.wallacefamilyhomeschool.blogspot.com

Wife to Josh :)
Mommy to Ethan, safe with Jesus (November 29, 2002-June 5, 2010)
Mommy to Evan, 6--MFW 1st
blessingtree

Unread post by blessingtree »

for His glory...thank you for sharing that information! That is confirmation for me. :) That's amazing that your son was reading Little House..WOW! I am a little sad to have missed doing MFW K with Baker, my oldest. But I am so happy that God has led me to MFW this early on for 1st grade. I kept praying about what curriculum to use for next year. Then I felt like God kept impressing on my heart that the most important thing is that my boys KNOW HIM! So, with that on my heart and being a Charlotte Mason follower, He led me to MFW. For the 1st time I feel such an amazing peace about homeschooling. Thank you for all of your help and encouragement everyone!
Ashleigh...
Married to best friend 11 years and counting!
Mommy to two precious little boys: Baker (6) & Bear (4)
MFW 1st grade in fall 2012
Rod and Staff pre-K/K Fall 2012
forHisglory

Unread post by forHisglory »

blessingtree-

You are absolutely welcome!!! I wanted to clarify two things (to encourage you). I meant to say Ethan was reading at about a 4th grade reading level by day 120! We actually never "finished" the entire year--we lacked about 40 days. God was the one who orchestrated us stopping suddenly in April of 2010, and it was a blessing since Ethan passed away unexpectedly that summer. Also, I wanted to encourage you that it is totally fine you didn't use MFW K! I didn't use MFW K with Ethan (he went to public school for most of his K year), and Evan and I used another curriculum (see my signature) for K. I think you are starting with MFW at a really exciting year, and you haven't missed out on anything! :-) Take care!
Believing Christ's Love and Grace,
Shannon W.
http://www.wallacefamilyhomeschool.blogspot.com

Wife to Josh :)
Mommy to Ethan, safe with Jesus (November 29, 2002-June 5, 2010)
Mommy to Evan, 6--MFW 1st
HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle »

You are going to love first grade. :-)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog