Foreign Language - Rosetta Stone set-up, features, versions, time,

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
HeyChelle

Re: Rosetta Stone only 15 min a day?

Unread post by HeyChelle » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 pm

It seems to be about 15 minutes per day here, too. My 9 year old LOVES it.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

cbollin

Problems with Rosetta Stone

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:03 pm

momma2boys wrote:I'm wondering if any of you can help me? We are attempting to use Rosetta Stone and can not get the voice recognition to work. Actually, one day it works and then it won't work for the next week and then it works for a day or two again. SO frustrating for my son... and me. :~ All settings are as they should be and have been double, triple, quadruple (you get the picture) checked each time we try it. Set for a child (we've tried both male and female settings) and on the easiest recognition setting. I want it to work - I really do. But I'm about to throw in the towel and move on to something else instead. Has anyone had similar struggles with RS or have any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'm wondering if it's just a glitch in their program. Or maybe I'm just missing something?

My husband did talk with them and he had already tried everything that they suggested - put on easiest level, check under 14, switch to a female (which my son just loved - ha!). We can get through the set-up part (1,2,3,4,5...) but then once the lesson starts the program will not recognize my son's voice. And he's saying the words correctly. So, we'll restart everything and try again and the same thing happens. But then every once in a while everything works perfectly. It's really weird!
It could be as simple as a bad headset or lose wire. I know when I've had issues with the mic setting, switching head sets seems to work. You can go to target and places like that and get a similar head set or ask RS if they'll replace it.

Another thought? you can turn off speech if needed and just practice without the little meter thingy. ?
I know my oldest daughters get wacko about the speech thing and it creates a lot of tension in her. so lots of (((hugs))) at the frustration with it all.

I also remember doing something with resetting the mic settings on the control panel of my computer.

that's the extent of my tech skills on it. I know in some cases, there were times that the mic reset itself and RS was looking it in a different location or a different type. But it was quick solve stuff and seemed minor over the years of using RS - not to point of frustration except with my oldest who is just wound too tight.

-crystal

momma2boys

Re: Problems with Rosetta Stone

Unread post by momma2boys » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Ah, yes! I hadn't thought to just turn off the speaking part. I think we'll try that next. Thanks!!
TriciaMR wrote:Yeah, I bet there is a short in the headphones. Our's works, it just is way picky, even at the easiest settings. Two of my kids do pretty well with it, one doesn't (but he tends to mumble and not enunciate).
And I don't think it's a short in the headset because we have two of them and the problem is there with both. Weird, right?
TriciaMR wrote:Well, if it is two headsets, then I would guess (if you are using the same USB port) either a bad USB port, or a setting on your computer. What to do next depends on your operating system...

-Trish
Anna (CO)

Still married to the love of my life
Mom to two boys, 13 and 11 - both adopted and with their own unique special needs

We've done ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR and on to EXPL-1850 this year!
http://www.ChiqBanAnna@gmail.com

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 am

TriciaMR wrote:Really, how do you turn off all speech stuff? One of my sons HATES having to do the talking stuff. I poked around a bit, but I can't figure it out. If you could give us the secret handshake for turning of the speaking parts, my son would be forever grateful.

-Trish
Trish,

Before you launch the program, do not plugin head set.
launch program
it will tell you the microphone you previously selected is not detectable.
then, you have options to plugin ,and refresh,
or to Turn Off Speech for this session.
select Turn Off Speech
then, plugin your headset so you can listen.

or, you can
do not plugin head set
launch program
it gives prompt to select microphone since it doesn't detect it
plug in headset
hit refresh
turn off speech and continue

have fun.

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 am

momma2boys wrote:Ah, yes! I hadn't thought to just turn off the speaking part. I think we'll try that next. Thanks!!

And I don't think it's a short in the headset because we have two of them and the problem is there with both. Weird, right?
my next thought then is something isn't configured right on your computer's control panel with sound and mics, or something like that.

On the days where you are dealing with this problem, you can click on the "advanced to next screen" button and just tell your child to not worry too much on the computer knowing if it is acceptable or not. yes, for some children (like my oldest) they get all wacko if they don't get 100%, but they need to get over themselves. (well, at least my oldest needs that).

Is it doing this same thing when an adult is speaking into the headset? Yes, there are times, where the speech recognition frustrates me, but so far, it's been minor hiccups and not anything that interferes with the program or me trying again. I apparently have an ok russian accent, but no french. and only mediocre mandarin.

I'd still call RS back and let them know that everything they told you to do did not solve the problem. And ask them to make note of it.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Homeschool Version of Rosetta Stone vs Other Versions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:06 pm

mmweaver wrote:We are looking for advice and/or recommendations from others that have used Rosetta Stone. Do you recommend the homeschool edition or another and why? Thanks for any input you can give us.

- Missy
We've only used the homeschool version, but this week when we had to reinstall Rosetta, I was having trouble finding the "full year version" -- only to find out from the RS help desk that the feature would only appear when we installed/registered the "homeschool" part, because it wasn't on the regular part.

That is all to say that there are some differences. Since most of us have only purchased one version, comparison might be hard. Interestingly, a search came up with a Wikipedia article that says,
  • The homeschool edition introduces additional features that keep track of time spent per lesson, scores achieved on lessons, lesson plans, and instructional objectives. This edition also includes a supplemental CD which has workbooks, quizzes, transcription of lessons, and exams.

Aside from the minor differences, the homeschool edition is essentially the same as the personal edition - except for the supplemental CD with written exercises and lesson plans. The language discs in both editions are identical and are interchangeable. Some may have 3 discs and some may have 5. Much of the information on the supplemental CD is available online from Rosetta Stone.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Homeschool Version of Rosetta Stone vs Other Versions

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 pm

tagging on to the information Julie provided.... (she's right... unless someone has purchased both and done a lot of side by side comparisons, it might be hard to know)

not all languages have "quizzes" etc, on the supplemental educational materials disk. Also, in the MFW plans, the quizzes are not scheduled. More info on their reasons can be seen on the sample of the lesson planner
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... sample.pdf

that's interesting on the full curriculum path. makes me too curious what "paths" are there with personal instead of hs version. neat stuff
mmweaver wrote:The version 4 talks about games to help with learning as well, but we figure that the version 3 also had games. We were also not too excited about the online community - our daughter is 7 so that is definitely not something we're interested in for her.
version 3 doesn't have "online games". Sounds like it's part of the online part of 4 designed to reinforce the lessons, and they may not be games geared to all ages either since version 4 is really being marketed toward adult learner. wondering out loud if they would hold the attention of young elementary age.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Rosetta Stone Voice Recognition problems

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Amy C. wrote:One of my dss did Rosetta Stone today without any problems. My second ds attempted to do Rosetta Stone after my 1st ds but can't get past the voice recognition setup (where you say 1 2 3 4 5 ). It keeps failing. It is now failing for my 1st ds as well. I had my 3rd ds try, and it fails for him, too. I set up an account for me to see what happened, and I am not having any problem getting past this. However, none of my dss can get past it. Any suggestions? TIA!
Amy C.
When you get to that screen, go down toward the bottom of it and Click "Audio Settings," a new screen will appear, and then you can make sure the correct microphone is chosen, and adjust the settings in there.

Otherwise, not sure.
Amy C. wrote:Thanks, Trish! That was the problem. Got it fixed.
Great! Ever since we had to buy new headphones, my kids have to go in and choose our new headphones from the list... (Some really nice logitech headphones, work beautifully, Rosetta Stone just doesn't keep them selected...)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Rosetta Stone....

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:19 pm

deltagal wrote:Are you pleased with this material? We purchase Spanish several years ago and the issues with the microphone and computer understanding what the children was saying became quite frustrating. We're ready to get back to work on the languages, but we want to be successful. Is Rosetta Stone working for people? Or are you using another product? Our language of interest is German.
Hi, Florence -
We've been using RS with Mandarin Chinese for two years, since our daughters were in K & 3rd.

Our microphone did not work well either. So we've chosen to use the program without it, and we are pleased with the results. Our oldest daughter is speaking in complete sentences in Mandarin. Since then, we've met Chinese natives who are willing to converse with her in Mandarin, and though there are some words she was not pronouncing correctly, they knew what she was saying and commended her on doing a good job.

We wish the microphone/headset worked better, but we're still getting good results. I'm sure there are other very good foreign lang. programs available. You might look at a homeschool curriculum review website to see what other HS Moms are doing. :)

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Re: Rosetta Stone....

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:23 pm

We've been using Version 3 on Windows 7 and it is working well. (Occasionally I have to reboot the computer to get it to start.) It seems to be able to set things "easier" for the speaking part now than in the past, or you can even turn it off and just have them do listening.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm the oddball. We have not have many technical bugs at all. We've used RS version 2 English (with my special needs learners). RS version 2, Russian. RS version 3 Russian, 1 and 2. RS version 3 Spanish, RS version Chinese. (the plan is to use French soon..... spanish was for getting my dh ready for a missions trip last summer. )

Microphone issues? well.. once in a while it goes goofy on us. We stop. exit program and restart where we left off if it is really bothering us. Or one time, we lost a setting on one of the machines.

Then, we check the settings with "easy" "under 14" and if all else fails? push the "go to next screen button"
Technically, our machines are happy with it. It even likes our autistic child some of the time. When it doesn't.... turn off the speaking session for that lesson. She wasn't bothered by it. She'd just push a button to advanced to the next screen.

In terms of is it enough? Depends on what you like in a language program at this level. It's like asking is PLL enough for English in 2nd grade? Some people will say "no! you have to add this and that". others will say "sure it is" I think it's the same way with RS. for level 1 even at high school level, using RS with the MFW lesson plans has felt a lot to me like my memories of college freshman Italian 101.
For level 2, we added a workbook in Russian from barnes and noble - whatever was on the shelf. I might try the worksheets in rosetta stone in french - there aren't any in Russian, so I bought something.

With the plans with MFW, there are ways to use the program with the audio companion for "dictation" lessons, and real life stuff. Adding children's books, etc. It also reminds me of French year 2 in high school with the good teacher I had.

One of the things that MFW suggest with RS (especially at high school credit level) is to find someone to speak with in real life.

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:51 pm

We absolutely Love it! My ds8 is 3/4 through Level 1 Spanish, and I am about 1/2 way through.

If you click on the yellow icon that is the 2nd in from the right at the top of the screen you can go to the pull down screen and push on set preferences. On the audio settings of set preferences you can set the speech precision level at 'easy', which is what we have it on. You can also set the voice type for both ... and age. The last thing to check is the USB VoIP Device - Microphone needs to be chosen for the head phones to work. When the voice recognition fails to work it is usually because the setting accidentally switched to built-in microphone.

I think it is a fabulous program that helps immersion into the language for real learning and reading and writing through typing.

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:38 pm

I just re-loaded RS Spanish onto the Computer yesterday. We'll give it one more try.

If using Rosetta Stone -what curriculum settings are recommended for what age/stage?
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:51 pm

deltagal wrote: If using Rosetta Stone -what curriculum settings are recommended for what age/stage?
check it out on the sample of the MFW lesson planner

the first few pages are good too, but it's page 5 of the sample with the settings per age. (you have to tilt your head or print it out. wink)
here...
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... sample.pdf

-crystal

cbollin

Rosetta stone? Is it on sale or is this their new price

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:18 am

4littlehearts wrote:Is it on sale or is this their new price? Just wondering...
yesterday one of the MFW staff wrote about that. His post is easy to miss because it is at top of the stickies. I notice those little things and still missed it.... ;)
Rosetta Stone - Reduced Price until April 16th

Postby ECDaddy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 am
Rosetta Stone has lowered prices for a limited time.
My Father's World is offering this exceptional price on all languages and will still include the MFW exclusive lesson plans for free.

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/100/0/0/1
anyway... It's not MFW's (or any vendor) decision on Rosetta Stone prices. I like the lower price. but I get frustrated with RS with the changing up and down stuff. If it can be offered this low, then keep it there. just my consumer whine for the day. It's not directed at MFW or Rainbow or any vendor... their hands are tied on it

4littlehearts

Re: Rosetta stone? Is it on sale or is this their new price

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks Crystal!!

Okay, I am in a dilemma today because I'm on the fence between buying RS using MFW's lesson plans or buying Visual Link Spanish whose sale ends today. I have not heard hardly anything negative about VL, but have heard mixed reviews about RS. I like the idea of RS because of the MFW's lesson plans that are included for my high schooler. Also, I am not sure if VL would work as well for my younger children. Their prices right now are not an issue because Visual Link's Spanish course's sale (which ends today) is about $120 but when you add in a headset, which you need to purchase separately unlike RS, it ends up being around $130. So essentially their prices are competitive until tomorrow. What to do? What to do? Can someone persuade me one way or the other?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 am

I haven't done spanish as a full high school credit course, so I have nothing to offer to help except thinking questions...

the negatives you hear about RS: which of them "bother you"? is that something that is a problem?

for example, a common gripe on RS is that it lacks direct grammar instruction. I lean toward saying it's a copywork and imitation style of grammar that comes with immersion method. I'm ok with that in level 1 thing. seems natural to me. Once a student has a 2nd grader level in new level, then maybe I'd want a bit more direct grammar. But if it were only done along the lines of "charlotte mason/PLL/ILL" approach, would that be ok in a foreign language? hmmm...

another gripe out there on RS - is the voice and speech recognition. we have some bumps in it.. but never to the frustration level to quit. well, ok my oldest gets wacko on it but she needs to chill out in life anyway. LOL

another complaint I hear on RS - it lacks "direct translation". is that a problem for students learning a language? Well, I'm ok with that mostly because I still have memories of college freshman year Professore Sherberg teaching Italian 101. He did not translate. He used props and wanted us to speak.
I remember the day the next summer.. I took 101 from him and then 102 from someone else (she was a native Italian married to some prof in another department) and then took the summer courses 201 and 350 in a 6 week intensive course where we lived in Italy. anyway... Professore Sherberg was our prof. I still remember the day we took his sweater and placed it on the statue of St. Francis of Assissi. LOL the monks who ran the monastery laughed. Professor Sherberg was sure he was going to be struck by lightning for the sins of his students.
LOL LOL Padre Allesio... the look on his face as he brought us our morning coffee.. "Students! Let's just say the goats did it"

uh u h uh I mean... based on my college experiences learning Italian... I haven't been frustrated by Rosetta Stone's way of doing it. you still want to have someone real to speak to.

Postby cbollin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 am
ok... for fun, I'm doing the free sample lessons of visual link just because I'm curious...

I can sell you on RS over Visual link...

if that sample was designed to sell me on their product????? This is not going to hold my child's attention.

one of the big differences I'm seeing... is that Visual Link has some animated pictures that pop up with the phrase you are learning.
RS - has photographs that set the phrase in context of "real use"

VL - seems much more "formal grammar" approach. I haven't used VL as a full program... I'm just going through the online free sample.... maybe as a supplement to learn grammar and all of that... the explanations are nice and all of that. I like how they help build sentences. I like that it really helps with the grammar and sentence structures.

but I like in RS - the immersion methods.

play with the free sample - is that something your children will do?

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 am

ok... for fun, I'm doing the free sample lessons of visual link just because I'm curious...

I can sell you on RS over Visual link...

if that sample was designed to sell me on their product????? This is not going to hold my child's attention.

one of the big differences I'm seeing... is that Visual Link has some animated pictures that pop up with the phrase you are learning.
RS - has photographs that set the phrase in context of "real use"

VL - seems much more "formal grammar" approach

I haven't used VL as a full program... I'm just going through the online free sample.... maybe as a supplement to learn grammar and all of that... the explanations are nice and all of that. I like how they help build sentences. I like that it really helps with the grammar and sentence structures.

but I like in RS - the immersion methods.

play with the free sample - is that something your children will do?

-crystal

4littlehearts

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Well, the verdict is in. After showing my children both programs, and doing the demos of each, the kids and I really like RS better. I had not viewed their demo until just about an hour ago and was really impressed. I think it will keep my kids' attention much more than VL and I also think at this moment that I like the "immersion" method better. Thanks so much for your input and helping me think through my decision. I also like that MFW publishes clear-cut lesson plans for my high schooler to follow, which is not the case with VL. Thanks! Now just a few more decisions to make regarding my K-er.

Julie in MN

Frustrating Rosetta Stone afternoon.

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 pm

momxnine wrote:I got my Rosetta Stone box yesterday, Yay! But today it took us F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get it installed. : ( It seemed to be working fine, took an hour to get it installed, then it quit working. I called tech support and was connected to a very nice lady in India for another hour with her taking over my computer screen to fix it! Well, after all of that, we figured out that you can't use parental controls? Strange. That's not good, I need parental controls for my boys, so not sure what to do about that one. But then when she disconnected and I was trying to set up the voice activation, it wouldn't work. : ( So.... one of my daughter's is going to try to figure that out, but if she can't, guess I'll visit with my India friends again. ;)

It's been quite a frustration though, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with learning Spanish. :-)
Not sure if this applies, but my son had trouble installing and it turned out that Rosetta needed his "windows firewall" to be "started," and he had set it to disabled because he felt it was causing problems & he used other products instead. Setting his windows firewall to "automatic startup" solved the installation problem for him.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Bret Welshymer

Re: Frustrating Rosetta Stone afternoon.

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 am

momxnine wrote:It's up and running and I did part of the first lesson this afternoon to try it out. :) I still can't run the parental controls on it though which is very disappointing and not a good design on RS's part, IMHO. :( It just means that I or someone will have to be in the same room three hours a day while each child does the course. :( Oh well.... guess we'll figure that problem out too, but at least I learned some Spanish words today. :-)
I am sorry to hear of your frustrations. Are you using version 3 or version 4? Are you using the homeschool version or the personal version? My understanding is that the version 3, homeschool edition does not have any internet access.
momxnine wrote:Hi Bret,

I ordered from you guys, so it's whatever you sell, Version 3, homeschool, right? I don't think it goes directly to the internet, but the rest of the computer does. We normally don't let the boys on a computer unless there are parental controls set up which keeps them from going anywhere at all on the computer without permission. For some reason, RS won't run with the parental controls on. My daughter tried turning them back on and it was doing the exact same thing that it did the other day, nothing. I don't know that there's any thing to do to fix it, it's something in their software apparently.
We are checking with Rosetta Stone to see if they will provide a fix for using parental controls on Windows 7 and Rosetta Stone at the same time. Thank you for your patience.
momxnine wrote:Thank you, Bret! That would be wonderful! We've already had an issues because of it and I was wishing that the controls were available. Hopefully, they can do something about it. We don't have Win 7, we have Vista. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. :)

momxnine

Re: Frustrating Rosetta Stone afternoon.

Unread post by momxnine » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:05 pm

I have Vista on the computer we're using for RS. Since that's the computer least used during the day (all my girls work), that's the one I decided to put all of the boys and myself on for Spanish. I didn't think about calling the tech company, I'll have my techie daughter do that. :)

They're basically good kids, they just get sidetracked. All the time. :) But our computers are in the dining room, so it's not like someone isn't walking through the room all the time. It worked out fine today. Daniel has the 1:00 - 2:00 time slot for RS and typing and Luke has 2 - 3. Their other typing is all done on their NEO's, so that helps as far as having computers in use all the time. :)

Ben.... haven't figure his out yet, probably morning sometime. He won't have all the high school stuff, so I'm assuming his time slot will be shorter. :) He gets a couple of weeks off before starting while I dash madly around trying to rearrange bookshelves and rooms and get everything organized. Someday I'm going to have a library where ALL school is done and ALL the books are in one place instead of everything all over the house. Someday..... :-)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

TriciaMR

Liking RS, but have a ?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm

momxnine wrote:Now that we finally got it all worked out and it's working, I'm liking it! Only on lesson 1 so far, but I'm "getting" it! I wasn't sure if I would since I'm also learning Swahili, but I'm thinking that maybe this language thing might be kinda fun after all. :-) I don't know if my boys are getting it, but *I* am. lol

Anyway, my question is this: Are you supposed to have to do the voice recognition thing EVERY time you start a lesson? Or is there a way that you're supposed to turn it off after the first time and I missed it?
It does it every time you start. It needs to make sure the microphone is working.

-Trish
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

momxnine

Re: Liking RS, but have a ?

Unread post by momxnine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure we were doing everything right. : )
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

cbollin

rosetta stone on my iMac question...

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 am

wsterk wrote:Recently we replaced our PC with an imac. We have reinstalled the RS onto our imac but there is an error every time we get to the microphone check part. The computer is detecting that it's plugged in (went to system preferences, shows a USB mic, volume it adjusted, hears my voice) but we still get that error. Even had a new mic sent to us. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? RS tech support is very difficult to reach and I am frustrated. As you know, RS is not cheap and I just want it to work.
I don't know, but while waiting for mac users on this forum who just happen to also have RS........ or while waiting for MFW office to open and see if they have ideas from their support.....

take a look at this forum of apple/mac users and their solutions to the same problem.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/25 ... 0&tstart=0
sounds like a weird trick that just might work with the input lines...... I don't know those people, but it sounds like they may have found a work around with this common frustration?

also,,, I don't know if the versions make a difference,

you might try to input something in the search box on the tech support... er... I mean.. "customer success center"
http://success.rosettastone.com/?language=english
I used the terms "microphone mac" and got a few pages that might have something.

((hugs)) on the frustrations with it all.