Combining 1st and an OLDER program

Learning God's Story
TriciaMR

1st grade users

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 pm

far above rubies wrote:I'm getting things lined up for next year. :) Woohoo!! :)

So, first off, about what time in the year are the children expected to be reading independently?

And secondly, if she were to join her older siblings, who are going into CtG, for history/science, would the 1st grade history/science be overkill? As far as ECC went, her K program was ENOUGH. She couldn't handle any more and didn't care, either. LOL
I did 1st grade and RTR together. The history in 1st ties in with the Bible which is also your reader - essentially they're reading through the Bible. I made timelines on tri-fold science boards for my boys. I shifted days so that their "Wednesday" (light day) lined up with RTR's light day, and was able to do their science just fine. My boys just sat in on fun stuff in RTR. My non-dyslexic son really started reading more "independently" toward the end of 1st grade. I still have him read to me for about 10 minutes each day from a grade-level reader, but he is reading book basket books by himself, and seems to enjoy it (we are approaching the end of 2nd grade). My dyslexic son is probably reading at a beginning 2nd grade level. He reads to me daily, as well. He only really looks at the pictures in the books in the book basket, but if it is a science-type book, he actually tries to read it, and if it is Lego or Star Wars, he will read it.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

asheslawson

Re: 1st grade users

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Not sure about where your dd will align with reading...but we are doing CTG & 1st together and it is a really nice fit. She likes that she has the same stories as her big brother has in her own guide. These worked great together in my opinion.

And it was also good because sometimes she just did not stay 'tuned in' while he & I did history, bible, etc. together and would be doing cartwheels in the living room or hosting a tea party under the dining room table or playing with the cat behind us on the couch (ok...so surely I'm not the only one with a little gal that knows not how to sit still!!!) But she listened to some of his and then really paid attention to her own story. Then she'd say - hey...this is the same one he learned before...and she'd be all ears. I'd find out just how much she actually heard & absorbed while she was cartwheeling or having tea!! LOL
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MelissaB

Re: 1st grade users

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat May 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi, Elizabeth -

We did CtG & 1st together. Our 1st grader loved joining big sis for science, but she did not join in much history.

Our 1st grader enjoyed doing CTG's Genesis for Kids; and our older dd enjoyed joining in the 1st grade experiments, too.

CTG & 1st go very well together. It's a great year. Enjoy!! :-)

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4monkeyz

Help and encouragement needed.

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 am

b.motherofthree wrote:I am on week two of teaching ECC with my 4th and 6th graders blended with LGS for my 1st grader.

I'm struggling to keep my 1st grader engaged through all of the ECC stuff. She is a busy little one, and gets bored very easily. While I want to teach her to focus, I realize there's no way it will be an instantaneous thing. What ideas can you offer to help me teach her to focus without spending ALL my energy focused on it?

Also, I'm using CLE math and ILL language for 4th and 6th. What should I do with 1st grader while I'm instructing my older two? I could use some tips on how to juggle the instruction and helping time for each of them. I'm a little overwhelmed with the "Mommy, I need your help" that seems to be constant once we're finished with our ECC work.

Okay, a couple more questions.
1. One of the things I love about homeschooling is the flexible schedule, but I'm struggling to feel like I'm getting it all in, even though we are definitely spending at least the required daily 4 hours in just classwork.
2. I also love the ability to be silly and have fun, but sometimes my DD's have trouble refocusing and "knuckling down." HELP.
Hi! We are in our first week of ECC and while I don't have a 6th grader, I do have several little ones plus a 4th & 2nd grader. The first few days for us were hard, my 5yo and 4yo just can't leave the school space bcs. they find it all so fascinating, but their constant competitions tend to highjack the school time.

My mom and I were brainstorming some ideas, maybe one of them will help you?? I am going to try starting with Bible, then doing school with the younger ones first (while the older two do chores), then get the littles set up with a puzzle time, pegboard, lacing beads or math activity (like pattern blocks or teddy bears). Then around snack time, I will do the science reading (busy mouths can't argue!). I also need to keep their hands busy while at the table listening, so coloring sheets, mazes, dot to dots, puzzles. Sometimes, I have also said 20 minutes quiet playtime in their room or in the playroom...I might even set a timer and they often go and get distracted with dolls or blocks.

Also, one way to approach mom instructional time is while working with one child, the other is doing something independent. I am thinking of having them choose from a logic puzzle, math activity or quiet reading. We work for 30 mins. or so then switch. At least that is the plan. :)

It takes time to get into a rhythm, but once things sort of fall into place it will go easier. Right now I just finished a few days worth of pots/pans, yikes! :~ Homeschooling tends to take focus for the morning, then naps, then this, then that. My dh is back to early mornings at work, I've been getting up at the same time for a little quiet time. Amazing you can hear birds that early!! heehee. Anyways...by the time the kids are tucked into bed, we both are so wiped the dishes kind of have taken a backseat (dh falls asleep while sitting!). Ah yes...summer days wreck havoc and yet bring so many fun sunny days.

I don't know if that was helpful or not!!
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Poohbee

Re: Help and encouragement needed.

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am

((Hugs))

As Andrea said, it will get better. You and the kids will get a groove down, and many days, things will flow more smoothly.

Also, as Andrea mentioned, I have had the best results when I take care of my younger ones first. So, what I have done in the past (when we did ECC, my oldest was in 4th, my middle in K, and I had a 1-yr old) was to start the day with Bible time together. Then, I would set my oldest dd doing some independent work while I did the K work with my middle child. Some of the independent things my 4th grader did were spelling (I use a workbook program), handwriting (copying the Bible verse or practicing cursive), vocabulary (out of the Maps and Globes book), independent reading, book basket, etc. Then, when my kindergartener's work was done, she was free to play. She only had to do her required K work. She was able to join us for the fun things in ECC, such as the John 3:16 sheets, music, art, etc. but she was not required to sit in on ECC. It helped that my middle dd still really wanted to play. She would go off and play on her own or with her little brother.

So, you really don't need to keep your 1st grader engaged in ECC. Work with her first on her 1st grade work and then she can just play (consider some educational games on the computer...I remember my middle dd loved JumpStart Spanish when she was younger) and join in on the fun stuff of ECC as it comes up throughout the day. After 1st grade is done, you are free to work with your other 2 on the ECC stuff, math, and language arts.

The other part of it is that it takes a bit of time to train your older kids to work independently. I taught my older daughter what was expected of her in her independent work, but it took a week or 2 to get that ironed out so that it worked smoothly. I also taught her that when I was working with her sister on her K work, she couldn't interrupt me. If she had a problem with something she was working on, she could move onto the next independent subject, read books, or play with her brother until I could help her. Those things are key. The training time is really important. So, even if you need to slow down what you are doing in ECC to take time to train them how to work independently, it is worth it in the long run.

Hope this is helpful, and I hope you find your groove soon. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 am

I had a busy 6 yo when I worked through ECC. I did not expect her to remain engaged with the ECC stuff. If she joined us that was great but usually she did not and that was OK too. If she became distracted while we were working on ECC stuff, I encouraged her to go participate in another activity. So there were times that she wanted to be involved but was distracted ( ie. chatty, disruptive), and I sent her to her room to play dolls. It was not a punitive "Go to your room this minute" but rather something along the lines of "I believe I hear a tea party in your room, dearest."

I used our time working on her schoolwork to work on attention. I did not have my other child working on subjects so that I could give my full attention to her. When she lost focus on a subject, I immediately switched her to something different. I tried to keep her subjects alternating between subjects that she has difficulty focusing on ( such as phonics ) to a subject she really enjoyed ( such as math). I kept alternating between subjects until she was done for the day. I used a timer. I didn't use the timer to tell her that we would spend x amount of time per subject. I used the timer to measure the amount of time that she was able to remain engaged. If yesterday she spent 6 minutes fully engaged in phonics, I would encourage her to "beat her time". Lots of encouragement......"I think you can do this for 30 more seconds!" And there were days that 30 more seconds was not achieved. :)

I also looked for triggers since there were days she could focus better than others. For my child, artificial food dyes were a huge trigger. Last year at age 7 she was more involved with CtG but I still did not expect her to remain engaged for the full day.

Currently, I have a situation where I have a chatty child and a child who is distracted by talking. For me, it works so much better to teach the skill subjects (LA, math) separate. For my older children, I would give instructions to my most independent child for all her subjects then send her off to work. If she got stuck she would just start working on another subject and ask me for help later in the day. Once she was working, I worked with my less independent child since I knew this child would have more questions and need more encouragement.

I had the younger children while the older kids were in middle/highschool. I kept activities that were only available for certain days of the week. I plan on doing something similar for this year with my 8yo and 11yo. For example, Mondays the child who is not currently doing schoolwork can build Snap Circuits, and Tuesdays they can do Geopuzzles, etc. I also had them choose something of interest that they could do. My son is planning on using that time to work on BoyScout merit badges, and do Astronomy experiments. My daughter plans on doing crafts and knitting. For a 6 year, playing with dolls, building legos, etc. would be great activities to keep her busy so you can focus on the older kids.

Please don't let another person's schedule determine what works best for your family. Although there are families that can get everything done in a 4 hour stretch that does not mean that should be the goal for your particular family. At this time, my family works best with the skill subjects worked on separately in the morning, followed by a break (for mama), then lunch. We do content subjects after lunch which includes time spent working on Family Time Fitness when we start getting the afternoon slumps. For us, trying to get everything done in the 4 hours before lunch means that we shortchanged something. It is also the surest way to have a grumpy mama and grumpy children.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

b.motherofthree

Unread post by b.motherofthree » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks to you all. I will certainly be able to glean a great deal from all of this. I'm excited about next week. We will finally have our workboxes down with number cards and everything. Thanks again for all your help!

MelissaB

How to Combine

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:44 pm

GLPerky wrote:I am thinking of using MFW this fall so that I combine my two DSs. One will be in third grade and the other will be in first. My youngest is at the same level academically as his big brother except for phonics/reading. He just doesn't seem to get those yet, at all. Hopefully by the fall he will make much progress but probably still won't be where his brother is. They are both doing American History this year. Can you help me know where to place them or how I can combine them? Thank you.
Hi. :)

Here are some MFW boards that might be helpful:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2713
(There's a specific post for "ECC and 1st" on that page.)

This board might be the most helpful: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3786

We combined MFW Kindergarten and Exploring Countries & Cultures (ECC) with our K and 3rd grader, then MFW 1st and Creation to Greeks the next year.

If you try to do all of the assignments in both MFW 1st and ECC, you may have really long school days. :) You may want to purchase the curriculums well in advance, so you'll have plenty of time to go through each one and choose which activities/classes to do together (such as Bible?, science?, etc.) and which classes need to be done separately (phonics,math,reading,...).

We loved MFW 1st (espc. the math), and ECC was a life-changing year for us (missionary biographies are amazing). Enjoy!! :-)

Blessings,
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Poohbee

Re: How to Combine

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I have a couple of ideas for you.

It sounds as though Adventures would be a perfect fit for your soon-to-be 3rd and 1st graders. Adventures is a great program for when your oldest is in 2nd or 3rd grade, and your younger ds could certainly join in the many fun activities and in learning the names of Jesus, etc. However, it depends on whether or not you would want to do another year of American history. It depends on the resources you've been using for American history this year. When my eldest was in 2nd grade, we did Adventures. Then, she was interested in the American Girl books, so we took a year off of MFW to do the Portraits of American Girlhood unit study, about the American Girl historical books. So, we ended up doing 2 years (2nd and 3rd grades) of American history. It worked fine, because each year had different resources and a different flavor. And, there is so much to learn in American history, that it was nice to take 2 years to work on that. If you aren't opposed to doing another year of American history, and if the resources would be different than the ones you are using now, then Adventures would probably be perfect for your boys.

If you don't want to do another year of American history, as Melissa said, Exploring Countries and Cultures would be a good fit. When we did that year, my eldest was in 4th grade and my younger dd was in kindergarten. My younger dd had so much fun "traveling" to the different countries with her older sister and having her passport stamped, doing the projects in Global Art, coloring the John 3:16 country sheets, etc. There are many fun things for a younger sibling to join in on in ECC, and yet, in doing the 1st grade program, your younger ds would have his own language arts and math at his level. MFW 1st grade is wonderful for teaching phonics and helping a child learn to read. MFW 1st is a complete program, but you can use it for the reading and math, and then pick and choose other parts you want to use as your younger ds joins his older brother for parts of ECC.

Either way, both Adventures and ECC would be wonderful programs for your 3rd and 1st graders to do together. :-)

Praying God's wisdom for you as you make your decision.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

GLPerky

Re: How to Combine

Unread post by GLPerky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Thank you ladies for the ideas. Will really need to do some praying about this.

Joyhomeschool

Question About the Family Cycle + Youngers

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:35 am

HSMom03 wrote:Before a child joins their older siblings in the family cycle (for grades 2-8) do they get their own FULL program? For example, if you have a K or 1st grader plus older ones in the family cycle, would the K or 1st grader get their program in full or just the math and language arts (plus tag-along with the older ones)? Just wondering what is recommended and what works best! Planning on Pre-K & First Grade in the fall, and curious as to how it all works out after this year. Can't wait to put my order in!! Thanks :)
If you use mfw 1st and K.. They get their own program, but they don't have too do it fully. You use the Math and Phonics/reading portion and then they join in with the older kids for science, history, and art/music. So in K you'll do most of the program but maybe not all the hands on things.

I tend to do all of K and only read K books on the 6th day. I skip most of the hands on crafts except the activity on day 6 and mostly skim through the bible portion.

In first we do all the Bible, Phonics/reading and Math and mostly skip the science, and the extra activites on the last square (art/music mostly) and we do only the science listed on day 5. Both programs done this way take an hour to an hour and a half with some work being done independently.

My k and 1st join us for our cycle year (4) reading, mostly the 2nd and 3rd supplement, music/art and activities.

That's how we do it. If I'm feeling ahead of the game I will read through all TMs for the week and pick and choose what K and 1st do. But mostly I do it this way.

See this sticky http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=191
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

TriciaMR

Re: Question About the Family Cycle + Youngers

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 am

I think the answer varies on how many olders and how many youngers. I was able to do a cycle year with my oldest, and then have my twin boys do a full 1st grade program, with some tweaking. Other families just have the youngers do math and phonics and writing and then join in on the fun stuff with the olders. Just depends on mom and the family dynamics.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Combining Elementary and Middle School

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Carina wrote:It has been a LONG time since I have been on the board--mostly because things have been going smoothly! :) But as I am beginning to think about next year, for the first time I am not sure how to make MFW fit our family's dynamics. My oldest two will be in 9th and 11th grade and using MFW's high school curriculum.

My problem is my youngest two; they will be in 7th grade and 1st grade. I am not sure how to combine the two of them and the idea of teaching two separate curriculums (MFW 1st grade and ECC) seems like a lot of work! I would love suggestions! (Just a little background info: the child who will be going into 7th grade in the fall is dyslexic and not reading/comprehending at grade level, thus he is not able to do as much "independent" work as many 7th graders.)
I have the exact same age spread that you do with the last two. :-)
That year I did do both 1st and ECC, but I tweaked it. My 1st grader did the reading and math at her grade level. I did none of the 1st grade science that year. For the majority of the day she joined her big brother in ECC. We did all of ECC Bible together (even though she had her own Bible time). She didn't do any of the Exploring World Geography workbook, but enjoyed all the other aspects of geography. She really learned a lot! I used the Complete Book of Animals with her while my ds was doing Apologia Science. We enjoyed the music and art all together. It really was a fun year for them both.

It honestly didn't feel like extra work at all. I considered them both in ECC, I just had different requirements from each of them. You will always need language arts and math at individual levels anyway. Do you have any specific questions you are pondering?
Carina wrote:it's so encouraging to hear it can be done; thank you Dawn!

I haven't done ECC before, so what exactly did the history/geography time look like for your first grader? Did she listen to you read from the various books? Were there activities (other than the workbook) that she could participate in? Did she also do the read alouds with you?

Thank you for letting me pick your brain! ;)
It has been a few years, but I'll get out my TM and try to refresh my memory.

Starting at the top of the grid, she did sit and listen to the Bible reading and Hero Tales. She loved coloring the John 3:16 pages for each country. She listened and looked at the book Window on the World, and joined in praying for all the people groups (such sweet little prayers!). She also did the copy work from Hero Tales. I didn't have her copy the ECC memory verse though, because she was already copying her 1st grade Proverb's verse.

Geography time was the fun time of the day! We did the passport activity as we began each new country. I enjoyed hamming it up with the "airplane ride" much more because I had a young one learning with us. If it had just been my 7th grader...it wouldn't have been so playful-ish! When we were going to a colder climate we got out the scarves and mittens and wore them around the house (till we got too hot!). In hotter climates we got out the sunglasses. I even rummaged through her stuffed animals and pulled out animals that would go with the country studied and have them in the school area with us.

OK, too much fun! :-) Back to the books. Yes, my 1st grader sat in on all readings, colored the flag and participated in any activity that was out of the Trip Around the World books. She played the Geography Game with her brother and made him have to work at it to win!! She proved to be quite a match for him in remembering all those names of places! Then we all did an art project from Global Art and listened to the songs, which were quite fun. At the end of the week you do vocabulary cards from the Geography from A to Z book. Most weeks had 2 words to draw and define. My 7th grader did both and my 1st grader only did one. Trying to draw the picture was challenging at times for her. Sometimes I would draw it and she would add coloring and maybe a detail like a fish in the water or something.

I handled read alouds differently that year. It was my second time through ECC and I know I will be doing it one more time when my youngest finishes the cycle. I did the scheduled read alouds the first time through when my 7th grader did ECC in his younger years. So I picked out some different books this time around. My youngest dd will get to hear the scheduled books when she repeats ECC later. That said, we did do Kingdom Tales when it was scheduled. I love those stories and could read them over and over!

Hopes that helps you visualize the year a bit better!
Ask again if something else pops into mind or I forgot to mention something,

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

CaseyVG

Re: Combining Elementary and Middle School

Unread post by CaseyVG » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Thank you Dawn for your tips. I love the idea of putting on hats and scarves or sun glasses when you "fly" to another country! I also will be teaching ECC and 1st next year, although mine will be in 3rd grade. It's still nice to hear how others combined the two programs. I'm really excited about this next year!
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kw4blessings

MFW1 science as summer activities?

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun May 18, 2014 6:05 pm

mom2threeBoys wrote:I keep thinking about how to combine ECC and MFW1, and it kills me to think about excluding science (and art and music) from the first grade curriculum. I love the idea of the whole Learning God's Story curriculum. And I think my 8 year old would enjoy some of it too.

Do you think it would be doable to use the science and maybe art to do some summer lessons? Or do any of the first grade science lessons work well with the ECC ones? I look at both curriculums and don't think I would be a "box checker." I don't think I have to do it all. I just want to! Despite geography not being my fave subject ;) But I also want school finished by or shortly after lunch, and I like the idea of light Fridays!
We did that some last summer. We finished up the science lessons from 1st that we didn't get to and did a weekly art or music lesson as well. It was fun! I haven't used ECC yet, so can't answer about that. Enjoy!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

bethinga

Re: MFW1 science as summer activities?

Unread post by bethinga » Mon May 19, 2014 12:58 pm

We plan on doing this. We followed along with science and music, until the water science began. We caught up by doing a week's of science and music only, but fell behind again. I've decided to save the rest for summer, after we've completed the units.
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Absolutely! Summer is a great time to do extra science. :) You can plug some nature walks in there, as well, and even combine that with some additional artwork.

I wouldn't try to do 1st grade science with ECC next year because, even though you already have pretty short lessons most of the time (and yes, you can be done by noon! :) ), life happens and you may not get to every single thing you want to do. Especially if you want to try to combine subjects. Ask me how I know. &) MFW really is very balanced, and much wisdom has gone into the program, so I would plan on just doing ECC "as written" and THEN add extras here and there if desired.

There is a lot more to ECC than just "geography", so try to look at the whole picture rather than just one subject. Who knows, you may come to really love (or at least appreciate) geography! ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

mom2threeBoys

Unread post by mom2threeBoys » Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks so much! My oldest actually asked last night if we could HS for summer and public school when school starts. Lol...this tells me he is interested at least. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement! I am looking forward to learning with them, even if it is geography. It sure would be nice to be able to answer my sons with confidence when they ask where a country is ;)

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue May 20, 2014 10:32 am

I have learned FAR more as a homeschooling mom than I ever did in public school! I am so thankful we have the opportunity to teach (and learn with) our kids. Even my friend with English Lit and French degrees, who admires all things Shakespeare, says she wishes she would've learned literature in context of history so that it made more sense. (I can understand why some people don't think lit study is important when it's not studied in context!) With MFW, you get that context not only during the history cycles, but in ECC as well.

Sometimes even a college degree isn't sufficient for homeschooling! ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue May 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Am I right that your son is pretty hesitant about leaving public school and your husband is not entirely on board with homeschooling? I think that doing fun science activities during the summer may really help your son and your husband see that homeschooling can be a great way to learn! It could help ease the transition, and give you some practice in teaching and discovering about how your boys learn before "real school time" hits and you begin in earnest. I've never transitioned from public school to home, but have heard that some children who were unsure at first really began to get on board when they saw how much fun they could have.

I say go for it, but keep it fun and light!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Cici

Unread post by Cici » Tue May 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Good morning! I just have to chime in & share something I read a couple of days ago on a blog, I copied & texted it to my husband, I'll paste it here:
  • Why do we do that? Many years ago I heard a pastor say, “Why is it that every time our kids come in from an activity, the first thing we ask is, ‘Did you have fun?’ As if ‘having fun’ is our primary goal in life!” It’s so true. Ask yourself: last time my child came home from time at class/football practice/movie/church, what did I ask them? Even though I’ve heard this lesson, I still catch myself asking the same pretty inane question of my own children! And what does that tell us about ourselves? We’ve idolized having a good time. We’ve gone from being producers to being consumers. And what we mostly want to consume is fun.
I post this not because I'm above this, but because I did/do it myself! My daughter went to a private school when she was 3yrs old - 5 yrs old. I was so concerned that if she wasn't having fun she'd ask to go back to the private school.

It may have been easy an easier transition since she was still pretty young, (so I can't say I know what it's like dealing with an upset teen).

After all of her extra curricular activities we'd always ask, "did you have fun?" Now, we're trying to break that habit. Yes, MFW is fun, but it really isn't the most important thing...
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

mom2threeBoys

Unread post by mom2threeBoys » Tue May 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Yes, Shawna, you are correct. My 8 year old is reluctant, as well as my husband. I hadn't even thought about it being a good precursor! I just didn't want to feel like I was wasting part of a curriculum! Doing some science, some reading, and some multiplication fact memorization this summer (was already planning to do the last two) will be a good start up and may allow me to push our school start date back a tad. I am itching to order curriculum because then I will feel like I can say "we are homeschooling next year" instead of "We are talking about it." And I think it would be fun to look through ;)

As for the "Did you have fun" question... I can see both sides. I think kids should have fun. They learn well when they are having fun. That's not to say they shouldn't have responsibilities that are not fun. Or that everything should be fun and games. There is a time and a place for both. However, I do think my oldest has done well in public school where the learning has been more rigorous than fun. He is a year young for his grade, so I will use "fun" to lure him into this scary change. ;)

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue May 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Hmm, much to think about in the above posts. I do see now that I used the word "fun" thrice in my post, but I also completely agree that fun is definitely not the goal of life. I too hesitate to always ask "Did you have fun?" after activities as well, for this very reason.

However, when thinking of a reluctant new homeschooled child, I mentioned the "fun aspect" of homeschooling because I think that he will be relieved to see that not only will he still be learning, but that learning at home can be enjoyable. I also wanted to convey to the original poster that keeping the summer activities light and... well, fun... can help with a potentially rough transition for all involved in this special circumstance.

I completely see the point of Cici's post. We shouldn't idolize having a good time, just as we shouldn't idolize gaining knowledge. Sometimes it is hard to find a balance in this.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Cici

Unread post by Cici » Tue May 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Well said Shawna! Yes, I agree balance is important in everything :) I probably need reminders more than others, I have a somewhat extreme personality.
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

kw4blessings

New HS FAM w 1st and 2nd-6th need help

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:23 am

stalamantes wrote:I am brand new to homeschooling and new to My Father's World. I will start w a 1st grader, 2nd, 5th and 6th. I need to hear from those of you who have combined the different ages and different studies. I will be using the 1st grade curriculum and ECC. I am interested in what your schedules look like and any pitfalls that may save me some stress. Thank you so much for any input.
I can give a small amount of input. :) We used Adventures along with K last year.

The one scheduling tip I have that worked best for us (and that I plan to continue in the future) is to start the olders on their independent work first thing (well, right after Bible time for us) and do all of the 1st grader's work during that time. K and 1st can be condensed into a nice little 30 minute-1 hour window if you're only using the Bible, LA, and Math. It seems to help so much to get the younger one done first thing, then focus on the combined area with the older ones...history/geography, read alouds, science. Hope that helps!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!