Homeschooling while working, earning a degree, etc.

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
Canoearoo

Re: Anyone here work (Fulltime/PT) and homeschool?

Unread post by Canoearoo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:04 pm

I work part time at church as the Childrens Ministry Dirictor. I job share with another mom so I work 12 hours and she works 12 hours. I can do about 50% of my work at home, so I do that in the evenings when my dh is home. I work Thursday afternoons, Sundays and any other random meetings as needed. We are blessed that on Thurdsays my husbands mother drives up (45 mintues) to our house and will finish any schooling I can't get done. Also We are blessed because my husband gets to work from home 3 days a week, so if I need to stay later than my mother in law can stay she can leave and my husband can watch the kids (they are very good about not bothering him unless he is really needed). If mil has to leave and dh has to work they are aloud to play Wii games (they love that).
"I am, I can, I ought, I will". -Charlotte Mason

dd 2004, dd 2005, ds 2008
MFW User Since 2009

KelsiTX

Unread post by KelsiTX » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 am

Julie in MN wrote:Here's a thread with several of us working/homeschooling folks. I see I chimed in on there plenty of times :)
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2358
Well I'm really surprised at how many moms work and homeschool...I realize I have had it pretty easy! You ladies would smack me if you heard my complaining...ha! Thanks for all the shared thoughts and the thread where many posted about working and schooling! I'm very encouraged and grateful for this board!
Blessed by MFW 4 years (ADV, ECC, CTG, currently RTR)
Married for 12 years to JD
Kassidy (12) 6th grade
Jackson (7) 2nd grade

samandsawyersmom

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi!!
I too work (but would really rather be at home). I work from Oct to Feb as a highschool swim coach so that means for Oct-Dec we have AM practices from 6-7 4 days a week and 3x a week in Jan. My hubby was home durring that time this yr as he is unemployed but last yr my mom (who works but doesn't go to work till 7:30 and lives just across the street) watched them a day or so and we had a babysitter (teenager before school) the rest. It also means for everyday of the week we also have afternoon practice from 3-5:30pm so I would just take my kiddos then. Then we have meets etc. and my husband or MIL or my dad watch them then. UGH! Whew!! I do believe this is my last yr. Sad but Glad at the same time.

Ok, I am also a massage therapist so I do that out of my house M,T,W, & TH pretty much whenever someone wants. But I really only have 3-5 a week so it is not that much. I also work for a Chiropractor uptown on Fridays and Saturdays & my hubby, MIL or father watch the kiddos then.

Because of all this we homeschool yr around. And the fact that everytime we stop for any length of time we all have a hard time getting started again! :~

It all seems like a lot when you add in all the homeschool outings so something had to give so that is why I am giving up the most time consuming one. Ho Hum but it is what is best for the family. ;) It can be done you prob will just have to give something else up. Like me, I give up a clean house!!! :-) :~
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

erin.kate

Hello, questions on time management with MFW?

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm

3pumpkins wrote:I will be working full time afternoons, starting at 3pm here in a few weeks. My priority is to give my kids the best education while having this full time job. In saying that, I am wondering if MFW ECC and the other programs can be done effectively and efficiently from let's say 9 til 1p? My children are currently 9 and 11. I also plan to school year round. I am battling with myself if I should take the CM route( which I have always leaned towards) or go to a more textbook approach, while we are in this situation of me needing to work. The length of me working fulltime is unknown, hopefully not longer than a year.

I just want to make sure that I can make MFW work in that timeframe, not really knowing how independent it is.
I will be using TT and CLE for dc's math, Pentime and for LA BJU, ILL or CLE.

TIA for your help and input :)
Kristen
Hi Kristen ~ I don't know if this will help or confuse, but since you school year round it may work well for you. It is how I approach the MFW's guides (well, how I did for ADV and will do with ECC on Monday, yay!).

I look at the grid horizontally instead of vertically and I set a timer for our lessons (keeping them short ... to 20 min ala CM). We move through the grid that way and we may finish two "days" or one "day" but we pay more attention to time than grid box. I used colored stickies or paper clips to keep my place in the TM. It was very easy to finish our lessons in the timeframe that met my family's needs rather than attempting to fit our needs into the grids boxes. Wherever we stopped on the grid we just picked up with first thing the next day, AFTER Bible. Bible is always first. I hope this translates well onto the screen here. :-) Oh, if there was a particularly involved project we might save that for the weekend when daddy could jump in, or at another atypical school time. I definitely know it is doable and you can mold the grid to your CM bent, as well, which is our approach as I am a heavily CM educator myself. Hope that gets the conversation started a bit for you!
schelean wrote:Erin Kate
Can you explain a little more about using the TM horizontally. I am not quite sure I am understanding how that works. Sounds interesting. :)
Sure, so I keep our lessons short, in the spirit of CM. My two oldest are 6 and 8 so our lessons are between 10 and 20 minutes long, and will be 30 for ECC geo/science. I start with the top of the grid and spend a meaningful 10-20 minutes on that subject, like language lessons, or spelling, or handwriting, or math ... whatever. Then we come to geography and we will spend a very mindful 30 minutes on it ... whatever amount of time allows YOU to accomplish what you are convicted to get through each day. Perhaps that means that you get through more than one "day" on the grid of geography and you move onto the next "day" or maybe we don't finish a full "day" on the grid ... that's okay ... we school year around so it all comes out happily in the end. We then go on to the next subject, like science or music.

So, if I know I have 4 dedicated hours of school time, then I'd think, I need to devote x to our core (Bible, la, math) and x to geo and x to science and x to the arts and x to read alouds, or those at bedtime or whatnot. Then I move through the grid horizontally with our short but intentional lessons with how much time I know I have to devote. Then we aren't always missing the subjects at the bottom of the grid, like music or art or read alouds or foreign language, because we restart everyday at the top of the grid. If we hit that time when we need to wrap things up because life got in the way of my perfectly-prepared day :-) , then the next day I start from where we stopped and continue across the grid for the 10-30 min (depending on subject) until we move down to the next subject, but Bible is always first for us.

I'm sure this is TOTALLY against all intentions of MFW so they'll probably cringe at how I make MFW work beautifully for my family. But, there ya have it. :)

ETA: We never had an issue with the themes, if you will, of ADV matching up ... like Bible and Science or States and Birds ... sometimes we flew through lessons and sometimes we went much more slowly. It always seemed to work out just fine. Again, just how *I* make MFW work in my family dynamic with a little Ethiopian who demands much of my time and so my days need to be quite structured and done before lunch, so sometimes things must trail to the next day, therefore we start where we stopped, versus restarting at the top and always missing the darn bottom of the grid.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

MelissaB

Re: Hello, questions on time management with MFW?

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi, Kristen -

We do a full school day b/t 7:30 - 12:00 M-H, but that includes foreign lang., piano practice, etc. Looking just at the time we spend doing MFW, math & lang., I think you could absolutely complete school b/t 9-1, esp. with your children's ages.

It looks to me like your schedule would be something like:
1 1/2 hr. - MFW Bible, History, Science
1 1/2 hr. - math & language arts
1 hr. - Lunch, clean up & organizing
_______
4 hrs.

You might purchase the "Basic" package. Please don't stress out over not completing the "Deluxe" additions. Your year will be great even w/out the additions.

God bless,
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 pm

It seems to work that way for many of MFW staff families with 2 working parents... including the authors...

in elementary years, it is designed to be done in about 4 hours using their recommendations. There is a general time box framework listed in manual to help move the day along, and then some things that can be left as "do this more on your own"...

I've heard how the author of MFW switched teaching and work scheduled with her husband and they both approached some things differently... from having teaching time focused.. then "I'm available to help you time".. lists of what to finish.

-crystal

3pumpkins

Unread post by 3pumpkins » Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Thank you all!

So, it sounds like and appears from the samples that MFW Bible, Science and History will be the more teacher intensive parts anyhow. Which makes sense to start that off in the morning that way, the more independent work can take place towards the latter part of the day and if it flows over into my work time, hopefully they will be onto the more independent work. Sorry, just thinking out loud.
I really like the grid technique, using it horizontally. I am going to have to take a look at that.
Thankfully, I have a very involved hubby that is happy to jump in with projects and unfinished school work. I think we can make this work. It is just a new thing and a little daunting to think about. I appreciate all these great ideas!!
Thank you all,
Kristen

albanyaloe

OT- anyone work from home and homeschool - I need ideas!

Unread post by albanyaloe » Sat May 12, 2012 5:53 am

lea_lpz wrote:So I would love to continue homeschooling, but won't be able to long term ;( unless I can get some sort of work from home income generating in. I would at minimum need at least 1,000 another coming in, but would like to generate more income than that so we could start saving to buy a home. We live in an apartment and I would like a yard and a tad more room! Those of you who work from home, would you be willing to give me some feedback on what you do, how much income you generally make, how you make it work, and give me any spiritual advice / inspiration / encouragement. Thanks!

I have bachelor degree and never really anticipated that I would want to be a SAHM, let alone a homeschool mom, or even a Christian if you'd ask'd me 6 years ago when I got pregnant with my dd at 21 and was junior in college, but inviting the Lord into my life has changed my heart and desires in so many ways! I have thought of watching maybe 2 children, starting a home daycare (would need to be in a home though), or work from home part time doing something (but what? %| ) and how could I know it's reputable, stable and not a scam?

Plus don't know if my husband will be on board for homeschooling for the long haul. He was surprisingly receptive to homeschool for K this year, but this was primarily because the preschool she was attending was just going to fast and was a lot for a four hour program ($550 month, we live in Silicon Valley). Anyone have trouble convincing homeschool would be good for the kids and how'd you get him to come around to the idea? Thanks!
Hi there. I live in a different country, but I did HS and work from home for 2 years. I am a R/N so I offered homebased health care services from a private clinic at a my home, mainly to babies and Moms. It was hectic, even though it was part time, only 2 afternoons a week, it did raise our income, which helped. I just found it too much to keep up. There was ordering medication and vaccines every day, counting stock, and calling back clients. I found the after-hours calls from new Mums and the "consultations on the phone" about b/f etc just too much. As much as I loved it, it took me away from my family, and took too much from me.

I think a business could work if you have set times to do it, and stick to those times only. Esp if it is less people intensive. Mine was very people orientated, child care is also. And just a thought, what if your children are ill?

What about an online business. Is there an area you know a lot about that you could start a website about? I have two friends that have good incomes by just doing that will something called site build it. They also homeschool. Could you test and review products? That is another way to earn money, at least in the US.

Some other things to consider if you do start something: a seperate contact number, which you only answer at certain hours, otherwise the business becomes very intrusive, the fact that ( here in South AFrica) you can deduct expenses from a home based business from tax, like rental space, electricity, etc.

I hope that you find something that suits you, keep looking, there are ways without leaving home.

Regards,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

Julie in MN

Re: OT- anyone work from home and homeschool - I need ideas!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 am

albanyaloe wrote:I think a business could work if you have set times to do it, and stick to those times only. Esp if it is less people intensive. Mine was very people orientated, child care is also. And just a thought, what if your children are ill?
I agree that working in your home has the risk of eating into your non-working hours, and affecting your children when they're sick or want their own space or whatever. Lots of folks do childcare in their homes, do typing, do tutoring. Just be aware of the pitfalls.
lea_lpz wrote:how could I know it reputable, stable and not a scam?
Don't pay for anything. I've known folks who've done it. No one ever made back what they paid.
lea_lpz wrote:Anyone have trouble convincing homeschool would be good for the kids and how'd you get him to come around to the idea? Thanks!
Try David Hazell's talks.
Try bringing dh into the hallways of the local high school.
And pray.

P.S. For more working & homeschooling experiences, check this thread:
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat May 12, 2012 1:38 pm

lea_lpz wrote:Plus don't know if my husband will be on board for homeschooling for the long haul. He was surprisingly receptive to homeschool for K this year, but this was primarily because the preschool she was attending was just going to fast and was a lot for a four hour program ($550 month, we live in Silicon Valley). Anyone have trouble convincing homeschool would be good for the kids and how'd you get him to come around to the idea?
Hi,
I love Julie's last piece of advice, to pray. May I share a testimony with you?

My sweet husband was raised by two public school teachers; his brother and his wife are teachers; and I had taught at a private school. Until the Lord moved on my heart to home school.

A wonderful friend gave me advice to be silent, pray for the Lord to move on my dh heart, and wait for him to bring it up. ["What?!" %|] Did I mention that all of his family members are school teachers? ? :~ O.K.

But the Lord moved on my heart to heed her advice. Her family began to pray, and I prayed (with mustard-seed size faith :-) ). And I remained silent (by the Lord's grace alone...LOL).

One evening, my husband and I were in the kitchen discussing finances when he said, "Why don't we homeschool her for a while?" He asked me to look into it, and after having a few discussions, we did it. Halfway through her 1st grade year, we started homeschooling. Then 2nd grade. Taking it one year at a time, our oldest dd will start 5th grade this year.

In our dear husbands' defense, this isn't an easy choice to make. Our families lose a year's worth of income - and health benefits. The Lord has an amazing way of removing our fears, restoring our peace, reassuring our faith. While these are all things your husband will need to take the leap into homeschooling ... they are things only the Lord can do, really.

I'll be praying with you, too... in faith. :-)

God bless,
Melissa
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat May 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I babysit & tutor...I make just slightly less than $1,000 a month BUT I live in a low income area & you live in an area that you could probably charge more - AND I have a pre-schooler that only comes 3 days per week and I just haven't pushed her yet to pay for the entire week - she started part time in the summer and I told her I could only afford to allow part time in summer, because I needed to fill a full time spot...but I just haven't pushed the issue....(one of the cons - being a softie - if you are running a business)

I ONLY keep 3 children total. Two are pre-school and I offer a short pre-school lesson 3 days per week. I love the children and they are just part of my family now. The other comes after school and I've been keeping her after school since she was pre-school aged, she's the same age as my dd.

I tutor 2 days a week after school, but I tried taking another student the other 3 days and it was just too much for me. My hubby always got home about the time we were working together, plus after teaching my kids and pre-schoolers, prepping snacks, naps, housework, etc...I just couldn't tutor everyday - 2 days works great. I've been tutoring the same child since July and that adds a nice little income.

Lots of pros and cons...I love the children - they are just part of our week...and the money is badly needed...here are a few cons to consider.

1.) It's a lot of work (I'm sure that one is a given)
2.) Dealing with their parents can be a challenge - I have a policy covering everything I can think of, I review it annually and if something needs changing I do. This helps when they want to balk at why you refuse to bend on something (like getting paid...trust me - if they have car problems, they think you should just extend them all the time in the world to pay you, and sometimes even not pay you. Or - they sometimes are able to find a back-up caregiver who won't charge and will send a text on Monday morning to say they don't have money so they can't afford to bring child. I have had to put my foot down and let children go because I can't pay my bills if they don't pay me - so my policy spells everything from how much notice I need before they take vacation, and how much vacation (free child care) I allow, if I allow credit for missed days (I don't if it's for them - they or their child is sick, took off work, etc.), and many other things. Sounds tough - but if they take their child to daycare - they pay every week - no business can survive if they only get paid now and then.
3.) Illnesses, theirs or ours, can complicate things. A clearly spelled out policy has REALLY helped me in this area. I give it out once a year & make them sign and return it.
4.) Paying taxes on this income reduces it somewhat & record keeping takes a little time - this was harder at first, but after developing a good system for keeping up with expenses it has helped. It is important to do this because it helps you pay taxes on only the part you earn. Keep up with grocery receipts, utitlity bills, rent payments, and mileage...it really helps at tax time.
5.) Scheduling - it's just harder to plan field trips with our co-op or just our own if we have extra kids.
6.) Scheduling your own vacations is tricky too - but it can be done.
7.) Gotta be tough - I am mostly (more so now than when I began), but as I said earlier - I still sometimes get soft!!

I'm not trying to say don't do this - these are just things that I have had to learn to live with. I do it because if I don't - I have to find a job & put the kids in school. I also do this because I do enjoy and love children, not just my own. Sounds weird, but trust me - sometimes other people's kids (and their parents) are really hard to love, even when you adore kids. ;) Hope this helps....you may have an ability to find another situation. I did make a decent income a few years ago working for my church as secretary and treasurer. I did almost everything from home, including check their voice mail. It was quite a bit of work, but it wasn't too much, probably much less than child care. I did have to go to the church to meet vendors, copier techs, etc. This simply ended because the church could not afford the position when the economy got really bad. Hope this is help...so much to consider - but it can be done.

Also - my hubby needed some convincing on home schooling too - not much - but prayer is definitely the best thing there - and of course making sure I stay organized & cheerful (most of the time - let's be realistic :~ )!! Hubby's really love an organized wife and home - and sometimes that is hard to maintain when you are working from home and home schooling...but organization and a cheerful heart are huge in dealing with my husband!

edited to fix a mistake.. :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

classicalmom

Unread post by classicalmom » Sat May 12, 2012 7:59 pm

I wasn't sure if I should answer this question as I work AWAY from home. Working from home can work and should work better than away from home. However for me working away from home makes me value my kids time with me much more and not "seeing" work screaming at me. kwim? You will just have to set boundaries. Homeschooling and working CAN happen and work out very well IF BOTH hubby and wife are on same page.

For ex:
I cook all the meals however the rest of the family has to clean house, do laundry, garden, dishes, so on. I do not do any of these things except if I have time. Hubby treats homeschooling as my number one job, wife is second (cooking too) and then working a 2nd job. The rest falls under him and the kids. I would crash if I had to do everything a wife is expected to do. Hubby told me the WHOLE family runs the house not just me. It is him and the kids that run the house along with me. Just my POV with my family. Main thing to remember is homeschooling is a full time job. :) Hubby hits it home with me when I complain that I am not doing enough around the house. He sat me down and talked to me stating "You have TWO full time jobs-homeschooling and working away from home. He had to reasssure me alot that it is OK for me to workout in the mornings (he wants me to work out for the good of my health) He is a wonderful best friend!! So both spouses have to be on same page in order for homeschooling and working a job either outside or inside the home to work. If neither are on same page then you will have a major burnout mode.

Holly

weareborgswife

Unread post by weareborgswife » Sat May 12, 2012 10:56 pm

I currently do the following:
* Books for my husband's computer business - not a "paid" job per say, but keeps us from having to spend money for someone else to do it - about 1-2 hours per week
* Husband's personal assistant for church and business- depending on the season this can be 1-3 hours per DAY 6 days a week, plus about 5-7 hours on Sundays, and more if we are in a time of outreach (we are pastors in a church plant)
* Occasional childcare in my home for others (this has come in "seasons" from random sources- usually a friend who is in need and has always met a specific up coming need- amazing how God times it!)
* Live near several "market research" companies and do my best to qualify for as many as I can- this can be 0-10 hours per month (including drive time) and averages about $100-150 per session
* Have bought things at the local thrift store/yard sales for cheap and re-sold them on Craigslist or some online forums I frequent for extra cash (works if you know your "market"- I stick with kids toys/gear and pricing, haven't had a ton of time to do this recently), I have even done this with curriculum for school found at our local thrift store
* Utilize sites that give me "rewards points" for using their search engine- which I trade in for gift cards (I use mine for amazon cards) - I am not sure if I can post links as the one I use most is referral based- plus your own searching- there are other ways to earn "more" as well doing online surveys, and "special deals". When I was really focusing on it I was making about $20 a month, now I average about $5 a month in amazon credit... there are people who really promote, and do lots of the "little things" and get TONS more than I do- works great if you have a lot of FB friends or blog etc, which I don't do. Message me and I will send you the link- there is no "catch" (except when you sign up for the deals). They offer printable coupons which when you use them also give you credit, so LOTS of ways to earn... I pretty much just use it as a search engine a few times a day and usually get 7-15 "points" and it takes 450 for $5 GC to amazon
* I also sew things for friends from time to time- sometimes for swaps as well- for instance I needed a large custom wooden screen to cover my sewing space, as I outgrew my first arrangement and we moved my things to the bedroom- I ended up buying materials, and my friend who is highly skilled in this area, built it, while I sewed her custom curtains from fabric she purchased. I also make girl's dresses, Waldorf-style dolls, and what ever else I feel like making. I market to my friends on FB mostly, as with my other responsibilities I don't have any more time for a "full time" sewing job, or after posting things made for my girls, I have gotten requests to make similar for others.
* I have also tutored in the past for teens (we were youth pastors before church planting), and applied to be an online tutor (can't remember the company), but they already had enough tutors for the subjects I was able to qualify for, so I didn't pursue it.
* I have friends who work 1-2 days per week or in the evenings when their husbands are home to make things work as well- but this requires hubby to be on board 100%.

Besides bringing in extra $, you can also start to look for ways to "save" on purchases... not sure what your lifestyle is like, you may already be doing things like this but...
* Also have become a HUGE bargain shopper- we live in a pretty "nice" area, so our 2nd hand market is amazing for clothing and kids items- I was able to get my youngest a set of American Girl Bitty Twin dolls in outfits for $25 on Craigslist for Christmas last year- retail they are $105 plus tax/or shipping depending on where you live. Once my kids share their "wishes" for birthdays/Christmas, I start looking for sales/deals at stores and in the secondary market- they don't care if the items have been used.

* If you have time to devote to it, using coupons can save a ton of money. My son is a lego FAN and we have a local family run toy store who puts out "40% off one item" coupons - I have used him to get Lego sets way out of our budget for birthdays/Christmas several times.

* We also only have one car- occasionally it can be a challenge (like this month we started baseball for our son, and I was blessed with guitar lessons, but his game was at 5:30, and I am in my lesson until 5:30, but God provided a friend with a car to borrow and all was well). My husband prepares his lessons on Thursdays, so we work hard to get school done, so that after he gets back from the gym (about 10:30-11 a.m.) we can go do our errands for the week. But one vehicle saves us so much on gas, insurance, etc.

All in all we have found that God is honoring our tithing and commitment to raising our kids to serve Him and as He has led us to home school, He has continued to provide for all that we need, despite my not having a steady income producing job. Is it hard sometimes? Very much so, especially in this season, since my husband is self-employed. BUT God continues to provide, over and over. Including the surprise "bargains" that bring joy to my children's hearts as they are fully a part of our church plant and have sacrificed so much to be a part of it (but they LOVE it :)).

If you feel like God is calling you to school your children, then He will make a way, but you do need to pray that your husband comes "on board", so you can both be in agreement.

Will be praying for wisdom and agreement as well as creative solutions for you!

Julie in MN

MFW and working full time

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:24 pm

laquita1967 wrote:I have homeschooled for 12 years but have recently found myself having to return to work full time (about 25 hours a week). I want to do MFW with my 9th grader and my 4th grader. Is there anyone out there with experience in working and doing MFW OR can anyone tell me if this will be a good fit for my family now that I have to work??
Please help.
Hello,
I was a bit worried when you said full-time, since that usually means around 40 hours a week, but 25 hours seems much more doable.

Some of it depends on what time of day you are able to work and what time your kids will cooperate with school. For example, if they are highly invested with friends who get off of school at 2:30 and you are only able to school after 2:30, that can be a challenge. I have always worked part-time, even after I started homeschooling. However, I've been able to work evenings, afternoons, or flexible hours.

I do think it can work. Here are some other experiences to read up on:

I personally might try to get some time off to begin the year and set habits and patterns in place, or try to find time to do this during your hours off. My kids typically need me to do EVERYthing with them the first time. This is similar to a public school situation where kids can watch the teacher or watch the other kids in order to figure out what to do.

Your high schooler will likely develop a lot of independence using MFW so that will help.

Your 4th grader may need you to "teach" for 1.5 to 2 hours a day, but there are really quite a few things that can be done independently even at that age -- at least after you have modeled them a few times. Here are a couple of posts listing independent tasks typical in MFW elementary years:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 852#p88845
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 315#p17315

Your 4th grader could run out of independent tasks while you are working, and at that point may just want some freedom to play and investigate and read and such. If you find you need to model this kind of independence for a while as well, there are some ideas on this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1829

Keep asking if you have more questions!
Julie

MelissaB

Re: MFW and working full time

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:06 pm

Working 25 hours+ a week, teaching two grades, managing a home, and juggling activities... I worked part-time and taught for three years. It's a lot, sweet friend. We do what we have to do as Moms, don't we?

One thing to think about ahead of time, Bosses and coworkers also have "needs." Often times, they ask us to work additional hours to help achieve a goal. It's hard to do, but try to keep your priorities in place. Have a schedule for school, and if they ask you to do work during your scheduled school hours, prepare ahead of time what you're going to say. Be courageous. ;)

The link Julie provided has some really good ideas. I'll be praying with you for wisdom, and for the Lord to give you creativity and ideas as you plan.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

Wendy B.

Re: MFW and working full time

Unread post by Wendy B. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:25 am

I have always worked while homeschooling. My current work schedule is 2- 12 hour shifts per week which leaves me 4 weekdays per week to do school. Actually it is 5 weekdays one week and 3 weekdays the next week but it all works out.

When my older kids were teens they would work independently on my work days since they could not get everything done in 4 days. I did not use MFW at that time since the highschool program didn't exist.

I have been using MFW for the younger kids. MFW has been a good fit for us since the bulk of the schedule is on a 4 day plan. I do not expect my younger kids to do school work while I am at work. As they transition to middle school/high school then they will have the opportunity to start working independently on my work days.

It will be an adjustment for you and your family for you to return to working but it can be done!
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

ruthamelia

Juggling job and MFW

Unread post by ruthamelia » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:14 pm

kw4tarheels wrote:I'd love help from those of you that work and homeschool. We've used MFW for years and I attempted a direct sales business. It was extremely stressful juggling the two. I let the business go but we need the income so I need to do something. I'm looking at getting my real estate license because of the flexible hours.

Here's my question...is it possible to do both well? For those of you that work, how do you fit it all in? When I was working before I felt like I was rushing my kids through school so I could work and I wasn't really there for them. The reason I HS is to be there for my kids and not miss those teachable moments. I'd love any advice, wisdom, insight. I have a 9th grader using high school Ancient and a 2nd grader and 8th grader using Exploration to 1850.

Thanks!
Keri
Hi Keri- I'm curious to read what responses you get! I'm not sure if my experience will help much, but I'll share a little if for no other reason than to encourage you that it can be done!

My sister and I each work about 3 days a week (not from home). Her kids are 11, 9, 7, 3, and 11months and mine are 4 and 7months. An essential part for us is having a stay at home grandma! School is Monday through Friday, and whoever has the kids is the teacher for the day. I do planning each weekend to make sure details are written out so there isn't discrepancy going from one teacher to the next (I enjoy this part more than my sister, that's why I do it even though it is for her kids!) . Another big help is that grandpa (the engineer) is the math teacher. He teaches math lessons in the evenings when he is home from work, and the kids do the corresponding workbook lesson the next day. So far this is working well for the 3 school age kids- the little ones are often more of a challenge! I am planning on starting my 4 year old in K in a few weeks (she meets the suggested criteria for readiness) and my plan for her is a little different. We will probably do 4 days a week instead of 5, I'm not in a rush to finish k since she is starting it young. I will do 3 days with her when I am not working which will mean Saturdays or Sundays. The 4th day I'm going to try out having the oldest be her teacher- he is quite ahead academically himself and thrives on that type of responsibility. Now, that's just my plan, Yet to see if it pans out!

So as I said at the beginning, I don't know if much of that matches your scenario, but here are my encouraging points:
Dedication and creativity can make homeschooling possible in a variety of situations.
Letting others help in their areas of strength is a bonus- like grandpa teaching math.
Atypical scheduling allows additional flexibility- like 4 day school weeks with one of those days being a weekend day.

Even with all that, I admire your attempt to do both! I'm not sure how we would manage without my amazing mom!
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

wbbeachbum

Re: Juggling job and MFW

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:23 pm

I have worked outside the home and homeschooled for the last 15 years. It can be done! I work 2-12 hour shifts per week as a RN. Currently, my work schedule is alternating M/T and S/S. So basically, 1 week I have 3 weekdays home , and the next week I have 5 weekdays home. I do not do school on the weekends. DH works a M-F, 8-5.

I do a 4 day school week, but complete 3 days one week + 1 day the second week for 1 school week, then the next 4 days for another school week. Clear as mud? Over the past 15 years, I have changed my work schedule multiple times, but this crazy schedule gives me the best work experience.

We homeschool from early August to mid to late June. July is camp month, and we like to take off December if we are ahead. We keep pluggin' along and try to stay ahead for life's unexpected surprises. This past year, we adopted a 4 year and were able to take a unexpected school break in May and June. This will be the first time in a decade (!) that we start a new curriculum in August.

My mom watches our kids, and she does not homeschool. Readers are expected to "read & do" on days I work. Basically, bookbasket and some sort of project, such as art or a construction project. " Learning to type" kids also add in 15 min of typing on work days. Older kids (typically age 13) do some schoolwork on my workdays because it benefits them to spread out the schoolwork to the 5th day. My older kids did Apologia, reading & writing on workdays. My current 13 year old will likely do at least reading & writing this next school year.

My advice is to have a set work schedule that homeschool doesn't interfere with, and have a set homeschool schedule that work doesn't interfere with. Plan on a longer school year, which will give you more "flex" days. There will always be unexpected workdays during the school year for training or the extra meeting day. Don't expect kids to get much work done if watching younger siblings.

Best of luck!

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:02 pm

I've also always worked (part-time) while homeschooling, and agree it can be done. I agree with wbBeachBum that separating school and work hours is essential, or nothing was done well. And a predictable work pattern helped us all.

During school, being totally prepared to begin the day at a set time, with materials gathered and pages marked, helped our days end on time (and the MFW grids were a life-saver!). I used to save some of the independent/fun/semi-educational things for afternoons, when I'd be getting ready for work on some days, here was a post on that: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1829

I also found it helpful to work outside the home when the kids were little (4-midnight, or Saturdays). When I worked inside the home, everything always reverted to me (until the youngest was elementary age). When mommy wasn't there, Daddy and kids developed their own ways of doing things, and that was a lovely thing to see (although I did have nursing baby emergencies when we had to meet in the parking lot to calm a crying little one LOL).

More posts: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2358
Julie

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi, Keri ~

I worked as a real estate agent, and while I don't mean to discourage you (!!), i'd like to help you plan ahead as you pursue this endeavor.

I thought that i would be able to set my own hours. Once in real estate, i discovered that the clients set my hours. I had to rearrange my schedule to work around their schedules, their children's ballgames, etc. - Often, i'd have to drop everything at a moment's notice to meet them at a house they saw. (I also found myself spending less and less time in church due to most Open Houses occurring on Sundays where I live.)

My real estate school assured me that I would be able to "set my own hours." While, technically, that is true. In reality, real estate is a very competitive field; clients are varied and demanding; and setting a regular schedule is next to impossible. :~

Oh... I want to cheer you on! I so want to be an encouragement to you, and i'm so sorry that this is not encouraging at all.(!)

I just felt you might rather hear about these things before you plunk down your $250+ for real estate school. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi! I just wanted to chime in with some thoughts which may or may not be helpful.

I agree with MelissaB about the real estate. I was a real estate agent at one point (prior to having children and obviously prior to HS) and I can see exactly what she is saying. YOU don't set your own schedule. You work around your clients' schedules. That may or may not always line up with your schedule.

I have worked on and off while HSing. I am an RN and I worked for my friend who is a FNP and who was just starting out with her own clinic. I worked for her during flu season one year. Honestly I can't remember how that worked with the kids. My husband owns his own business that slows down in the winter so I think he stayed home with them. That was quite some time ago. :)

I have worked (a very short time) a couple of days a week for a pregnancy resource center.

This past year I had 2 part time jobs (that are still going, although one is slowing down). I have been typing dictation for a doctor and doing direct sales. The 2 together have really been almost too much with HSing so I have slowed down on the direct sales. I am praying about what and how to proceed this next year because I feel our HSing suffered and I have gotten burned out. I am trying to keep HSing as the focus BUT still be able to stay home and HS.

So, I don't know really how to encourage you except to say that I would encourage you to pray and ask God to show you His provision for you and your family and situation. I know when I prayed, the Lord sent 2 jobs. I have really struggled to stay focused on the main thing but I am thankful He provides. I was afraid I was going to have to get a job outside of the home and put my kids in school which I DID NOT want to do. I cried out to the Lord and He answered and I am thankful. Overwhelmed at times but thankful! I am still praying about what to do. Keep both jobs or let one go. I feel like I have developed ADD with everything I have going.

I will say this. A wise mother who once tried to work and homeschool told me, "You spend what you make" and that is so true. I found out this last year that we were spending more money eating out because I had no time to cook, and I wasn't budgeting and bargain shopping like I had been because I absolutely had no time to do it. I DO have to work so I will need to keep doing something but I am considering giving up or at least cutting back on the direct sales job. I have taken a break from it over the last 2 months and it has been so much more doable and I am shopping and meal planning and cooking again which not only saves us money but is healthier. I will probably stick with it at least through December because I think it will do well with Christmas coming up but I am not going to put in the hours I have been. I am going to let the Lord direct it as He wants it to go and trust Him with it.

Working from home while trying to homeschool is hard. It is hard to separate the two and you can feel like you are pulled in a hundred different directions but for us for now this is what we need to do. I can see where it could be easier to separate everything out by working outside of the home if you had some help to do it. We don't.

Just some thoughts.

Prayers for God's answers and for you knowing what He would have you to do. Praying for wisdom for us all.

Amy C.

Edited to add that even though it has been hard trying to homeschool while working from home, it has been a blessing for me to be able to do it! I am very thankful I have been able to continue to be home for as long as I have.

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 am

I love all of the advice and wisdom offered on this thread. I have worked from home with various types of jobs throughout my years of homeschooling. My homeschool actually began from the one job I did from home as soon as I left my full time position in an accounting department. I began keeping kids at home to supplement our income - and decided to offer preschool in addition to daycare. I fell in love with doing this - my daughter had just turned 3 - and I've been keeping children ever since. I'm small, so that keeps my income small - but more kids might not be manageable with the size of my home (fairly small) and juggling my homeschool.

In addition, I've worked for my church as treasurer and as administrative assistant. This job encompassed quite a bit of work, but I only went into the office when I needed to, or on occasion when I needed to meet a vendor or service technician, or a staff meeting. For the most part, my schedule was truly set by me, with exception of staff meetings. I worked on any other duties at home, and just went to church to file away completed work, or post items to their system.

I've also homeschool a child for another family. This is can be a blessing, and extremely difficult. You feel responsible to have this child completely succeed since you've been entrusted to their education AND you are completely bound by their schedule. My kids really did not want to do any school work when he left, even if I'd spent extra time working with him - because while he was there - he got really upset if they finished early and he was difficult to keep focused. If I didn't stay with him, he would get up and find them and just really not be willing to do his work. Though his parents didn't prefer for him to have much homework, I finally had to insist that if he dawdled and didn't finish, I would require completion at home. It was a blessing, because he is truly dear to my heart - and of course, the income was very helpful.

The only position I've kept consistently is childcare - the tough part of this is my area doesn't have a huge income bracket and the long hours. For a school age child, I work from 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., and I get $100 a week for my full-time summer & school holiday rate. This means that we almost always have children - often a parent's day off for specific holidays does not fall on the same days. For instance, 1 family had off for Friday the before the 4th of July, this summer, but 2 did not. None had Monday off. I almost always have at least 1 for the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, & New Years Eve. I always have 1 or more the day after Christmas. It's not a terribly big deal - but most of the time - I'm always with extra kids, and that is sometimes hard for my kids. They get tired of it. The problem in leaving it is that I just haven't found a work from home job that isn't a scam on my own. To work part-time away from home just hasn't happened yet either. Somehow we just keep making it through - paying the bills, finishing our school year, and even occasionally we get a vacation! Prayers for you as you try to find what will work for you.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

wbbeachbum

June Check In - Homeschooling while earning a degree

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:26 pm

I am in the middle of my last class for a graduate degree so I might extend our summer break until August 1 when my class is complete. It's been nice not having to do my schoolwork in the evenings.

We completed 1850 to Modern on June 2nd. June is our normal summer break.I will likely start K with the youngest while the big kids are at camp the last week of this month and work on a school routine with her. The highschooler will start mid August with a normal school schedule. It is difficult to do school in the summer with older kids since their summer fills up with other opportunities.

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL

Julie in MN

High school

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:28 pm

MAWright wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:43 pm
:-) SUPER EXCITED!!! Just received my 10th grade son's school books. First time using MFW, since 2nd grade. So optimistic and hopeful for this school year. Praising God for his goodness! Hoping to connect with other parents of 10th graders, as I am a working single parent. Blessings to y'all and your school year!!!
Welcome back!

My former 10th grader is now starting his second year of college, but I became a single mom around that time, and I've always worked part-time. I was so happy at the end of 10th when I knew he had the entire Bible in him from a high schooler's perspective. I knew that was a great thing :)

Enjoy your start to the year!
Julie

Christy - Staff

Re: High school

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 pm

Welcome! We’re glad you’ve joined our online community. My oldest son graduated last year and I worked from the MFW office all 4 of his high school years. You can do it!

One piece of advice (even though you didn’t ask ;) ) … keep up with your weekly conferences. Don’t put them off or postpone them. Set a time each week for a date with your high schooler and keep it. I’m talking from experience. So many things are going on in our lives that we tend to think we can “do it later” but there is a ripple effect if it’s not done.
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many