# 6 - Turtle

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

# 6 - Turtle

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:20 pm

Lesson # 6 Turtle

Georgette

turtle web site

Unread post by Georgette » Mon May 24, 2004 3:59 pm

Author: Georgette
Date: 10/22/2002 8:47 am PDT

Hi Everyone,
I found a great website for turtles-week 6 in MFWK. The site is http://www.gmri.org/education/online.asp. Just click on turtles and then on crafts and when you get to crafts just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see a great sock puppet idea. These crafts as well as the great info on turtles is wonderful. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Oh Yeah! another great site to check out on animals and reptiles is
http://www.borrico.com here they list other great sites for turtles and other animals as well as good info.
God Bless......Georgette

Tuesday

turtle links

Unread post by Tuesday » Mon May 24, 2004 4:02 pm

Karen

more Turtles sites

Unread post by Karen » Mon May 24, 2004 4:03 pm

Author: Karen
Date: 10/19/2001

Here are a few you can try:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/turtle/

http://www.cccturtle.org (sea turtle info)

http://www.tortoise.org

Hope this helps!!!
Karen

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:56 pm

Sharing some books we used for this unit:

Info books:
Guess Who Hides by Sharon Gordon
Turtles Take Their Time by Allan Fowler

For perseverance:
Oops-a-Daisy! by Claire Freedman - really cute story about a baby bunny learning how to hop & how she keeps trying;
Where the Big Fish Are by Jonathan London - about 2 boys (maybe 12yo?) who build a raft together, then rebuild after a storm destroys it
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Omma

Unread post by Omma » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:49 am

Another cute little story is: "Hi Harry!", by Martin Waddell. We've had quite a few giggles reading this book, as this turtles works to find a friend.

Brenda

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:25 pm

I found a cute, EASY turtle cookie recipe to share...

Choose your favorite sugar cookie recipe or refrigerated dough.
Tint the dough with green food coloring.
Roll into walnut-sized balls for the turtle bodies. Place the balls on cookie sheets and press in cross hatches with the tines of a dinner fork to make the turtle shells.
Roll smaller sized balls for the heads; press the heads firmly into one side of the cookie "shells."
Press four almond slivers into the cookie shells for legs and a thin sliver into the end opposite the heads for the tails.
Bake as directed in recipe, but watch carefully so that the almonds don't burn.

WLIC, Quinne

hippyatheart

Unread post by hippyatheart » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:19 am

Here is an animated Aseop fable website!

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/packa ... index.html

My kids loved it!

ainsleesmom

Unread post by ainsleesmom » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:06 pm

My K student does occupational therapy for some sensory processing issues.
One of our home suggestions was to have her walk or crawl with something heavy on her back.
So I tied it in with the turtle assignment. We put a 5 lb bag of rice in a backpack on her back and she crawled around like a turtle.
So that little bit did double duty for us!

Vic529

Unread post by Vic529 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:09 am

This a a cute turtle craft idea.

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/alphab ... detoured=1

Here's the pattern to make a turtle paper plate craft.

http://www.seaturtleinc.org/lessonplans ... turtle.htm

Here's the pattern for a sea turtle wristband.

http://www.seaturtleinc.org/kidsactivit ... tband2.jpg

And here are the directions:

http://www.seaturtleinc.org/kidsactivit ... tband1.jpg

mycobabe

Turtle snack

Unread post by mycobabe » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:39 am

My son and I love making these, and they would go great with the turtle lesson.

Caramel Turtles

1 1/3 cup pecan halves
18 squares caramel candies, individually wrapped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

Preheat oven to 350. Slice or break pecan halves lengthwise to make slivers for the head, tail, and 4 feet. For each turtle, arrange 6 nut pieces in a 6-point star on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Unwrap 1 caramel square and cut it in half. Set 1/2 on top of he cluster of nut pieces. Without disturbing the arrangement, place the tray of turtles in the oven for about 4 to 5 minutes, watching carefully so the nuts don't burn. The caramels will melt onto the nuts, creating the turtle's shell. Remove the tray from the oven and set 4 to 5 chocolate chips on top of the caramel. Return to the oven for a few seconds to melt the chocolate. You can spread out the melted chocolate with the back of a spoon if you wish. Remove the foil with the candies on it from the baking sheet and allow the turtles to cool completely. Makes 36 turtles.

Enjoy!

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi! The sea turtle wristband above from Vic 529 was really cute!

We also enjoyed both of these non-fiction books about turtles that have wonderful real photos! Sea Turtles by Carol K. Lindeen and Watch Me Grow Turtle (a DK book) by Lisa Magloff. *Note - The second book (Watch Me Grow Turtle) does have a photo of mating "mom and dad" turtles - you may or may not want to skip over it like we did!

We also found a fun new twist to the old story of the tortoise and the hare called The Race by Caroline Repchuk. It was fun to read!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

Kirsty

Activites site

Unread post by Kirsty » Tue May 20, 2008 8:39 am

Wish I had known about this site....

Now you all can :-)

http://web.archive.org/web/200202140741 ... turtle.htm

cbollin

Turtle Lesson and my Autism kid

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 am

Turtle Lesson and my Autism kid

To help with the Tortoise and the Hare:

*we got the Reading Rainbow DVD
*we used the Ready to Read version of Tortoise and Hare, by Betty Miles

and to help teach I Don't Quit, I persevere, we used a book mentioned in this forum called Oops a Daisy and read this every day of the unit. I simplified the story to be more about the actions in the book and at the end of each page I would say "I Don't Quit. I persevere!" And the oldest siblings loved to join in on this story.

By the 4th reading (4th day) my autistic daughter knew which character did which action word (hop, climb, dig, swim) and she would say along with us -- I don't quit!!!! and we'd all cheer for the baby animals in the story!!!!

Additionally, my older girls combined one of their ECC science lessons with this lesson. Youngest was in a laundry basket. The older girls were learning how the concepts of friction on a surface makes the objects slow down. So they took turns pushing their little sister in the laundry basket across carpet and then across a smooth basement floor. And we reinforced that going slow and steady across the carpet was hard, but that we don't quit, we persevere.

Like with some many things in teaching with autism, I'm finding I can use MFW K and teach very actively and hands on to teach these foundational Biblical truths!!!!!

-crystal

JohnsWife

Unread post by JohnsWife » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:49 pm

I just had the loveliest time reading Katy and the Big Snow to my daughters. I just read it at bedtime tonight and my 5 year old said towards the end, 'Katy is tired but she persevered!'

What a blessing when you realize what wonderful lessons they are learning. My best friend just said,'Really, thats great! If she went to {local public school}, she would only have learned how to burp her ABC's by now"

I thought it was pretty funny.
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it. -- C.S. Lewis

fruitbake

Galations 6:9

Unread post by fruitbake » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:46 pm

Steve Green has some great CDs that put Bible verses to song. On the "Hide 'em in your Heart II" CD he does one for Galations 6:9 called "If we don't lose heart." I heartily endorse these CDs. There's a little intro for each song, otherwise it's just all scripture. And really helps to memorize!

Mom2M&M

Unread post by Mom2M&M » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 am

We made turtles from paper plates but instead of using the bottom plate, we cut a line to the center of the plate, overlapped the plate and stapled to make more of a bump. We then stapled the feet, head and tail underneath and let the kids color/decorate them. When they were done, we placed the turtles on the table and they raced them across to the finish line by blowing underneath the turtles. It was a little harder for my 4yo to blow enough to make it move but it tied into "perserverance".

When we were done with the lesson, the kids wanted to keep playing with their turtles. So I took them and hid them around the house and they pretended to rescue the endangered turtles. They took them to a clinic and doctored them up. They literally played with them all day. This just might be my DS's favorite lesson thus far!

Buttercup78

Great resource for MFW K - Tt Turtle

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 am

http://www.first-school.ws/theme/animal ... turtle.htm

This site has crafts, stories, and even a template for Tortoise and the Hare stick puppets, as mentioned in the TM!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

tangomoon

Re: # 6 - Turtle

Unread post by tangomoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 pm

This one is for the grown-ups. :)

Dayspring's (In)Courage site has a free beautiful fall leaf computer wallpaper photo that includes Galations 6:9 (included in the Bible verses on perseverance) here:
http://www.incourage.me/wp-content/uplo ... 80x800.jpg

Just right click and set as your wall paper for your display. :)

Brood-of-Blessings

Unread post by Brood-of-Blessings » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:29 pm

We just got done reading an awesome book that my daughter found at the library for Lesson #6, Turtle.

Hi, Harry! by Martin Waddell
(The moving story of how one slow tortoise slowly made a friend)

Very, very cute with a tortoise using perseverance to find a friend. Enjoy! :)
Kate~
Wife to my high school/present-day Army sweetheart for 7 years
Mommy to Isabella (6), Lincoln (4), Brigham (2) & Griffin (4mo)
So excited having started MFW-K and preschool and blessed to be home... homeschooling!

emmettcrew

Unread post by emmettcrew » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:46 am

Hello! I'm new to the message board! :-)

I thought I'd share a youtube video that will enhance your learning about The Tortoise & The Hare story!
[ search youtube for " The Tortoise and the Hare - Living Books, brends11 " ]

I'd love to get connected with more MFW moms out there!
http://actshomeschool.blogspot.com/
Feel free to visit us!

God bless!
alicen

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 pm

SEA TURTLE RACE GAME

I made a sea turtle game which shows how perilous the hatchlings' journey to the water can be. I originally made this for a co-op animal science class, but it is fun at home too, even with just two people.

First, do an image search for pictures of these things: a raccoon, a dog, a crab, a gull, a net, a dune buggy, a light bulb, a person with bucket and shovel, a baby sea turtle, and a wave or water symbol. I found simple line drawings of these things. You can just save the thumbnails that come up after your image search, you don't need large pictures. Once these are saved, make small copies of these pictures, at least 3 of each but more if you have a large group playing. I used the "contact sheet" option on my printer, it made lots of tiny pictures on a page, only about 1 inch or so. Cut these out in squares and put them in a bag, shaking it to mix them well.

Each image symbolizes a "peril" or a "non-peril" to the turtles as they journey. You will need to assign a number value to these which will represent how many turtles are lost when that card is drawn. I used 3 turtles lost for coon and dog, 5 for net, 7 for crabs and gulls, 10 for dune buggy and light bulb. The person with a shovel represented a turtle helper who would carry them to the water's edge, so no turtles lost. The wave symbol represented a favorable tide, no turtles lost. And the sea turtle emblem symbolized that your turtles were going very fast, no turtles lost. You may want to make a key to explain these things, such as "Hungry coons catch 3 turtles." "Five turtles get tangled in a net." "Gulls attack the hatchlings, 7 turtles lost." "A dune buggy made deep ruts in the sand, 10 turtles lost." "Porchlight on a beachhouse confuses the turtles and they go the wrong way, 10 turtles lost." (hatchling turtles head toward light) You get the idea. You won't need a key if you just remember all the options and how many are lost for each.

Now give each player a baggy with 75 beans. Each bean is a turtle! How many will make it to the sea? Start the players lined up side by side on one side of a large room. For each round, they will take a step toward a finish line at least 10-12 steps away. The steps should be equal size so that everyone remains in an even line. First player draws a picture card from the bag and gives up that many bean turtles, puts their card in a discard pile, then takes the step. Play continues until all have drawn and relinquished their turtles for that round. And so on until they reach the "ocean" finish line. Whoever has the most turtles left is the winner. If all your cards are drawn from the bag, just put the discard pile back in the bag and re-mix.

It may sound a little morbid, but I think it really drives home the reality of how much danger those little guys are in after they hatch. This would go well after a reading of one of the several beautifully illustrated books about baby sea turtles.

This game also reinforces counting, random chance, representative objects (the beans) and symbols, learning about natural dangers from predators and man-made dangers, and of course patiently waiting for a turn. ;)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Growing Turtle!!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:18 am

I think the turtle in this series of Mega Grow creatures could be fun for the Turtle unit. They really are fun and they do grow to be several times the original size in about a week.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ja-Ru-Mega-Gr ... l/16504507

I've used these growing animals before for the preschoolers in Vacation Bible School (if they fit with the theme). It takes the animals 5-6 days to reach full size, and since our VBS is 5 nights, it worked out perfectly. Even children who were reluctant to leave their parents would run happily into the room to see how much the animal had grown overnight!

It might even be fun for your child to make a chart of each day's progress. (My daughter loves making charts and graphs.)

Notice that they also have an OCTOPUS for later, and any one of these would be great for WATER since they first absorb water then if you take them out the container they slowly lose water and shrink from evaporation. They are also reusable, although they never seem to grow to quite the size they do the first time.

I have seen these at Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree and Dollar General, from $1 to $2.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Clj

Unread post by Clj » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 am

Hi homeschooling mommas...we are on Turtle unit this week. Having fun with it. I can't believe how much I am learning now that we started homeschooling. I recommend this fun non-fiction storybook we checked out from the library:

My Little Book of Painted Turtles, by Hope Irvin Marston

I can't remember ever learning that turtles hibernate, let alone hibernate under water (this book speaks to those things). My husband and I are amazed at this kinds of stuff, and especially by getting to know more about our Creator in this journey of homeschooling.

Ok, great to see some recent postings. I don't know how some of you have time to create your own blogs/websites as well (and done so beautifully, too)!
Blessings,
Colleen
son in K, daughter in preschool, baby usually napping

mamyers

Unread post by mamyers » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:35 am

Here are some ideas. The Children's Book of Virtues has a section of several stories and poems about perseverance, including The Tortoise and The Hare. My ds especially like the Little Hero of Holland . The story of the little boy who puts his finger in the crack of a dam to stop the village from being flooded. The song "Never become Tired of Doing Good" is available on DonutMan.com. It's a fun song with a catchy tune. We read Emma's Turtle by Eve Bunting, and acted out the animals from different parts of the world and then we found those countries on our inflatable globe. We also had tortoise and bunny races using the paper plate turtle and a stuffed animal. Have a great day!