AHL Ordering - What do I need? Half of Notgrass? 2 students?

Beverly Puckett

AHL Ordering - What do I need? Half of Notgrass? 2 students?

Unread post by Beverly Puckett » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Question about AHL - How does using half of the Notgrass text work?
Myot wrote:Hello! I am new to MFW. Please forgive my ignorance in understanding this. &) I am confused! :~ I bought MFW Ancient History and Literature at a convention. I've been looking through it and I see that to get one credit, the student must complete both Part 1 and Part 2 of the Notgrass World History. Both Part 1 AND Part 2 of the Notgrass World History books are included in my MFW Ancient History, but Part 2 goes to the Present. I was trying to figure out what my 9th grade daughter needs to do for the full year. I was thinking this year would be Ancient History...NOT all the way to the Present! So is she to do both books this year? And if so, why aren't all the literature books it talks about included? And if not, why is it included in the Ancient History instead of being included in the MFW World History, as it seems from the catalog it is a "required, but not included" in the that? :~

Am I mistaken? Is Ancient History only one semester? Or does it take 2 years to get only 1 credit? I'm new to this whole homeschooling highschool thing! I've homeschooled my daughter since she was a toddler using Sonlight, but switched to MFW this year because I wanted to do a study of Ancient History which SL doesn't really have. So I'm new to highschool AND MFW. Any help and advice and answers would be greatly appreciated. :)
We are doing AHL this year also. My understanding is that one year of AHL will be one credit. Next year will be WHL where we will continue using the same book, thus the "required but not included". Also, if I understand correctly, one credit is equivalent to 1 hour a day per subject... a half credit would be 1 semester of a subject. I hope that makes sense.

Beverly

Julie in MN

Re: Question about AHL

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes, Beverly is correct, the Notgrass book is used over 2 years.

Your "Ancient History and Literature" daily lesson plans book (the one with weekly grids) will tell you what to do each day in order to earn 3 credits in AHL (Bible, history, and literature). Don't follow any lesson plans in the Notgrass book, just read Notgrass according to the "AHL Daily Lesson Plans." Does that help?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Myot

Unread post by Myot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:19 pm

Beverly Puckett wrote:We are doing AHL this year also. My understanding is that one year of AHL will be one credit. Next year will be WHL where we will continue using the same book, thus the "required but not included". Also, if I understand correctly, one credit is equivalent to 1 hour a day per subject... a half credit would be 1 semester of a subject. I hope that makes sense.
Thank you, Beverly, for your response.

I was thinking the same thing that in your response to me. But then I read in the "Guide for Parents and Teachers Using Exploring World History" booklet that came in my box of MFW Ancient History and Literature the following:
"To complete one credit in World History, one credit in English, and one credit in Bible, the student must read the text in Exploring World History Parts 1 AND 2 and complete the weekly and daily assignments described in those voumes."

"Each of the 30 units has five lessons and represents a week's worth."

"Compressing the history of the world into one year of study was a challenge...."
So, according to Notgrass, Parts 1 and 2 is one year. But MFW considers it 2 years? Thank you to all who offer their thoughts and can help me figure this out.

Myot

Unread post by Myot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Julie in MN wrote:Yes, Beverly is correct, the Notgrass book is used over 2 years.

Your "Ancient History and Literature" daily lesson plans book (the one with weekly grids) will tell you what to do each day in order to earn 3 credits in AHL (Bible, history, and literature). Don't follow any lesson plans in the Notgrass book, just read Notgrass according to the "AHL Daily Lesson Plans." Does that help?

Julie
Hello, Julie...I guess I was responding to Beverly when you posted your response.

Thank you for your response. I guess that was what was confusing me...the Notgrass book and the MFW instructions are different. So yes, your response definitely helps!! Thank you!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Let me see if I can help on the confusion tagging on some details to Julie's post.

The Guide written by Notgrass is not about MFW's AHL program. It is for people who are not using AHL, but only using Notgrass for their credits.

With MFW, you can pretty much ignore that Notgrass booklet. It is included with MFW package because Notgrass is sold as a set. You will follow the MFW daily Lesson Planner.

AHL is 1 credit of Ancient History done in 2 semesters. AHL is 1 credit of Old Testament Bible. AHL is 1 credit of English. In order to do MFW credits, the Notgrass textbooks are only 1 aspect of each of those credits. Because MFW does other literature... you don't follow the Notgrass literature selections.

in AHL, we do about the first 9 units from Notgrass book 1, and other materials, to make the history credit. The Bible credit in AHL doesn't really come much from the Notgrass materials. The English credit in AHL is not really from Notgrass. Notgrass books are for one text used in history credit.
Myot wrote:So is she to do both books this year? And if so, why aren't all the literature books it talks about included? And if not, why is it included in the Ancient History instead of being included in the MFW World History, as it seems from the catalog it is a "required, but not included" in the that? :~
adding a little more details on those questions.....

1. The books are sold as a set just because that is the way Notgrass sells the books to retailers. So those using MFW get the book 2 early when we order AHL. in AHL, you'll use about the first 9 units in book 1. Then in WHL, finish book 1 and then finish book. Notgrass is primarily for meeting history requirement in MFW. MFW does more than Notgrass to have a full credit in 3 subjects each year...... I am thankful MFW did more, or I would have had to add to Notgrass for English, and Bible. ;)

2. MFW does a different literature book set than Notgrass just for different reading list. Some of the titles in AHL and WHL are also done in Notgrass. different goals in how to approach which books and how to study them for English time, as well as having writing.

keep asking :)

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm glad it makes sense now.

Notgrass is mostly used for part of the ancient history (alongside the entire Biblical history of course), but is supplemented by the Pharaohs book, the very lengthy DK Ancient History book, the New Answers book, as well as the timeline and mapping. All of those things together create a history credit. That's why you still earn an entire history credit even though you don't use the entire Notgrass book.

You do use some of the daily questions in Notgrass, a few essay assignments, and a few other things like questions on Bubastes, some discussion points on one of the books of the Bible I think, etc. But don't assume you do anything from Notgrass unless it's assigned in your lesson plans grid.

The little booklet just came with the set and I haven't used it at all.
Julie

Myot

Unread post by Myot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 pm

THANK YOU!!!!

You have helped me so much! I was kinda starting to panic a little and felt so confused. You both have helped immensely and have answered my questions just perfectly and I feel much better. Thank you both so much for your kindness in helping out a newbie! :)

Julie in MN

What do I need...got busy & missed office before they cl

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:25 pm

asheslawson wrote:Does anybody know what I for sure need for 9th grade? I plan to get the basic AHL package & probably add the logic course.

I have only one student, so I know I don't need the items listed a on the curriculum page as "Additional Students - Included in your package; purchase one per additional student"

However, the next section says, "Recommended - consider purchasing one per additional student". Does this mean these ARE in the package, but if you have 2 students you should decide if they are sharing the book or if you want an extra?
Yes, they are in the package. Some parents get their own copy of OT Challenge. Otherwise, they look like they are for additional students who could potentially share (in other words, the student doesn't write in them but might still want their own copies).
asheslawson wrote:Aren't all of these included in the package - so the only thing I need to add is math, science, logic, foreign language and enrichment items, if I choose to get those now?

Is there anything else I would need for the order to begin high school?
The AHL package includes everything for 3 credits. Personally, I think 6 credits is enough for most 9th graders (so AHL plus usually math, science, and foreign language), but I also know folks who have done more.

The audio enrichments (Bubastes, Odyssey) are helps rather than additions.
asheslawson wrote:And - I'm terribly lagging in preparation - has anybody resorted to using a school (such as CLASS, or something like that) that offers assistance with transcripts, grades, etc., after using MFW for years? I've used MFW, for my 9th grader, since he began homeschooling in 4th grade. My 4th grader has used MFW since she was a kindergartener. I've been keeping grades, in order to get ready for the record-keeping - but I know a high school transcript can be a totally different beast!
I'm one who thinks having someone else do it (whether a transcript or taxes) isn't much easier than doing it yourself, since you still need to keep the records, gather the papers, etc. And the AHL manual really leads you through the credits. Also, HSLDA is a great help with transcripts. But I know a few in my area who have been happy using a high school "consultant." And I'm sure there are some MFW users who have used more extensive services - I think a few states even require homeschoolers to be under someone's umbrella.

HTH,
Julie

asheslawson

Re: What do I need...got busy & missed office before they cl

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 pm

Julie in MN wrote:I'm one who thinks having someone else do it (whether a transcript or taxes) isn't much easier than doing it yourself, since you still need to keep the records, gather the papers, etc. And the AHL manual really leads you through the credits. Also, HSLDA is a great help with transcripts. But I know a few in my area who have been happy using a high school "consultant." And I'm sure there are some MFW users who have used more extensive services - I think a few states even require homeschoolers to be under someone's umbrella.
Thanks, Julie!

I just read some of the things I'd have to do to be under another umbrella so to speak, and it looks harder than keeping it myself! I do think I may check into HSLDA's transcript service. Thanks so much for the help....

Another REALLY nice thing I loved seeing, for anyone else who reads this post, I absolutely loved the high school planner I found - there are two PDF doc's on MFW's site that were very helpful. Thanks to MFW for doing this - just these alone helped ease my mind about figuring out if I'm getting it all in.

I found them at the bottom of the high school page: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/14/Dec ... h-School-/

Thanks for all your help - I'll try to get my order placed online. I already have Victor - so I think I just need the basic package & logic - I'll have to wait on math & science - but at least I'll have the bulk of it.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Ancient History and Lit with two students

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:16 pm

Kelly1730 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:14 pm
I'm back with MFW after a 2 year hiatus. We did K-Modern History and are now looking forward to beginning our high school years (yikes!) with Ancient History and Lit. My question is what do I absolutely need doubles of for my twin sons. Typically we get the novels we need from the library and the boys share so I'm more concerned about consumables and what do most people do with the student guide, purchase two or copy? I have several of the books from previous years so I don't need to be the entire curriculum anyway. Thanks for any input you have and I'm looking forward to being a part of this board again. As I remember, it was a very friendly, helpful place to hang out. ;)

And I see that I need to change my signature; two more grandbabies since then :-)
Hi Kelly,
Congrats on the new additions. Aren't grandkids the best?!

Well, there aren't many who've used the high school levels for 2 students at a time; a few, but not many. Dawn's twins are right around where you are, I think?

Anyways, I'm sure you've seen the MFW recommendations on the website, but I'll copy-paste it here and add some random thoughts:

1. Daily Lesson Plans - Most high schoolers have their own set of plans, either a separate manual or copies are allowed if you follow the copyright. I can imagine that in a few cases, students will work well together, but in more cases, they will benefit from each going at his or her own pace.

2. Daniel Teen Inductive Bible Study - This is consumable, and I think it will be easier for everyone to have 2 copies.

3. Ancient History Timeline Figures - My son would have loved doing this with another student.

4. Ancient History Timeline Book - Same.

5. Ancient Literature Supplement - This is kind of like 3 Progeny Press guides and some grammar lessons, so again fairly consumable. Some families are very trained in using blank paper, but my son would squeeze his answers in wherever he could. He did type almost everything but I don't remember him ever typing these answers. So I guess it depends on your situation.

6. Taking the Old Testament Challenge - I think each student would benefit from having personal time after Bible reading, but it's possible the 2 kids could do it at different times? My son typed his Bible reactions on the computer, so it wasn't a consumable for us, but it was something he did on his own, even though we read the Old Testament as a family.

7. What On Earth Am I Here For? - Same as far as personal Bible time.

8. The Cat of Bubastes, Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology, The Iliad, The Odyssey - Sounds like you have the lit covered.

Again, I haven't done this with 2, but there are some conversation starters :) Enjoy!
Julie

TriciaMR

Re: Ancient History and Lit with two students

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:24 pm

I think it would depend on your kids. I have twins (only in 6th right now) and one is dyslexic, so I will probably have 2 copies, so they can each work at their own pace. I would hate for one to have to wait on the other. My oldest just went through AHL last year, and I would agree that if your kids are good at sharing, and neither would hold the other back, then Julie's list is good.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Kelly1730

Re: Ancient History and Lit with two students

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Thanks for your replies! I was curious about the Ancient Lit supplement, whether or not it is consumable, so the info was helpful. I also read through some of the other threads and noticed that Julie mentioned making sure of the particular version of some of the lit books. I appreciate that as well. I knew that ladies on this board would help me out :).
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17