WHL - Writing assignments

4Truth

WHL - Writing assignments

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:I realize that it will teach how to do a research paper, but does it also require any argumentative papers? I just realized that dd has learned a lot from doing them this year and that practicing that skill would be a good thing for her. Thanks!!
I don't know if they're scheduled into the WHL lesson plans, but I do know they're covered in the Writers INC book. So even if they're not in the lesson plans, you could use the Writers INC book to go over it again. There are several examples and *types* of persuasive essay in that book.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

MFW-Lucy

Re: Question about writing in high school world history

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Dear Teresa,

You may view the kinds of writing that will be covered throughout the year in World History and Literature on the website at, http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/whlsample.pdf . Scroll down to find the table of contents and look under English.

There is one week that specifically uses Argumentative Writing. You will find it in Week 11 as part of reading Beowulf.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Lucy

Teresa in TX

10th grade research paper- # of sources

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:40 am

mdfriederich wrote:Hopefully this is an easy question for someone to answer: How many sources should my student use in writing her research paper? I either missed it in the teacher's lesson book or Writer's Inc. OR there were no minimum requirements listed.

Thanks,
Diana
Did you look back through the book? I can't remember either. Our situation is a little different. Dd picked a topic that has been difficult to find enough information on. We have chosen one website, an encyclopedia article, and 3 books. From what I remember, they wanted you to have a mixture of resources. I hope that helps somewhat.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

cbollin

Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature for WHL...seriou

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

Winni wrote:Does my 10th grader really need to get a hold of this? The nearest library that has one is almost an hour away. Can we just use online sources instead of this for the research project? Thanks!
Please realize the print date on Writer's Inc didn't take into consideration that most public libraries would be going to all digital format. So yes, you can adjust it. What we found when we we went to the library is that they no longer carry Reader's Guide to P.L. in print version. It is all cataloged online on something called Infotrac
and the Tn Electronic Library
Does that difference make sense in that? It was something important that I thought my dd needed to understand. and your library and your state might have similar things to help high school students in their research projects.

It is ok, to use an online index of Periodical Literature to meet the recommendation of researching in the library for an academic exericse. it is not a subtle difference between an article that was written in a peer reviewed journal that is merely archived on the 'net vs. "an article that is online".

The real point is that you should be finding something other than an article written on the internet.
I think it is a really good idea to have at least 2 "real books" or "real articles" to support the research paper.
One of them could even be the "computer version" of World Book that your 7th grader is using in ECC. ;)
Winni wrote:Great, thanks! We were actually told to do this in the TM, not Writer's Inc.

That link is only for Tennessee folks. It asked for my zip.
oh. Our lesson plans just said to turn to page 360-361 Writer's Inc and follow that info about Readers' Guide. So that's why I brought up Writer's Inc.
It is in the manual to use 2 non internet resources in works cited list. but I'm not seeing the Readers Guide info in the plans except as to say turn to page 360-361 while learning how to use the library reference center. sounds like we're splitting hairs on it though.

yes, that's a TN thing with the TN Electronic Library. You might ask your library if your state has a similar kind of thing. That's why I gave the link... so you'd know what kind of thing to ask at library.

or -- see if your library participate in the other thing I mentioned: infotrac. infotrac is not limited to our state, but you have to have an account of some kind. find out what your library has online to do research.

and PS, it's your school.... you can change the requirements as you wish.

we used another index out there to do the week 4 exercises to look things up. We used what we had available to use at our local library and stopped at the reference desk and asked for help. they told us about the other online stuff. Yes, it meant we took a Saturday with just oldest and me and library and lunch.....

ultimately, my daughter used 3 real print books
8 online articles -- some were from BBC, some where some articles on news releases on her topic
and then she used some online information from a scholarly website -- well, ok that doesn't make sense unless I just say it... her topic was history of cancer treatment, so she used some information and stats from St. Jude hospital's website.

and her final paper is due this week! then I hope we take a week off from school. 10 weeks we need a break!
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature for WHL...seriou

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Winni wrote:Great, thanks! We were actually told to do this in the TM, not Writer's Inc. Is that link only for Tennessee'ers?
Like Crystal, my manual doesn't say this. It must be an update. Also, my Writer's Inc just says, "...start with the periodical indexes," and, "The RGPL is available in nearly all libraries..." So it just feels like a suggestion. Maybe my WHL set is a newer printing than yours?

Funny story my ds shared about his library visit (I was over in the children's section with grandson): The librarian recommended a book that's freely available online. The librarian said to my son that he'd probably prefer that version. He responded that his mom is gonna want to see him come out with some real books so he'd better check that one out :)
cbollin wrote:it is not a subtle difference between an article that was written in a peer reviewed journal that is merely archived on the 'net vs. "an article that is online".
Yeah, I think this is probably the most recent change on the internet -- Real, scholarly magazines actually post their articles online now. (Some still charge to read the complete article, but more and more seem to offer them for free.) But kids need to know which articles are "scholarly" and which are just random articles that might come up on popular searches but aren't necessarily reliable. We spent some extra time looking at the web addresses for clues to reliability. I figure it will be a great lesson before college!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

research paper topics

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 pm

sandi wrote:Hello all, Hope you are having a good day. Quick question for those of you doing WHL. We have come to the research paper time. We have no idea what would be a good topic. What did you pick as your topic? Could you please give me some topic ideas. Thanks in advance.

I'm a little nervous about getting through this research paper. Do you have any suggestions that worked for you? What did you learn while writing this that helped you out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Or maybe something you wish you knew before you started? Thanks guys :)
Interesting question. I haven't heard a lot of conversation on this, so I'll be enjoying any responses you get. I heard of one family who researched honey bees and another was interested in researching orphans. Fun to read about Crystal's dd. Go cancer researcher!

My son seemed interested in careers this year. Most of his friends are 11th graders and starting to make choices towards their future careers, and my ds would sometimes critique those choices for me :) So I thought that the research paper would be a great way to fit in a little "career exploration" course that we never seemed to have time for.

The one career that has resurfaced ever since my son started homeschooling is being a doctor. I don't know if it's our family's experiences, or whether it was those missionary stories we added to ECC, like the one on Wilfred Grenfell? Anyways, I encouraged my son to explore careers in medicine -- so that he would realize that it's not just a matter of the one decision, "Do I want to be a doctor or not?" but instead there are a whole range of careers in medicine.

His topic is something like "careers in medicine." He's got a couple of books on the topic, some websites, and a whole lot of interviews with medical personnel, both email interviews with folks I know and in-person interviews at doctor appointments and such. I've been pleasantly amazed at how willing folks are to discuss their careers, and sometimes one person tells Reid that he just has to talk to this other person...

I also wanted to mention about the due date. I think firm due dates are an *excellent* thing for homeschoolers to learn. However, my son's essay is way overdue and not going to be counted down for being late. It's just the way our family's situation, his interviews, and my writing goals ended up. I know college research will not be given that kind of grace, and I hope we really get the lesson of deadlines cemented in him by 12th grade (if I'm not mistaken, there's another research paper assigned in 12th?), but it hasn't happened yet in 10th grade at my house. However, one thing you should know -- if the student does *not* finish on time, it becomes very difficult to fit in the rest of the essay work when you are moving on to other assignments. So one more reason to keep to those deadlines!

Julie

sewardmom

Re: research paper topics

Unread post by sewardmom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:48 pm

My daughter chose Communism in America.

Curious to read more topics,
~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

cbollin

More detail on daily writing in WHL

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:02 pm

deltagal wrote:Could someone elaborate a bit on the daily writing opportunities in WHL across the curriculum? Thank you.
I can start...

Bible - written responses are part of Experiencing God. I'll have to ask my dd what else I'm forgetting in Bible writing

History - daily written responses for the review questions in notgrass. now, I realize those don't have to be essays or anything. But that's a piece of the puzzle.

English - this is going to vary. In week 1 and 2 after reading Shakespeare , the students write a simple play using the guidelines in Writer's Inc. It's simple. not a full 5 act thing or anything like that.
weeks 3-10, they are researching and writing a research paper
other assignments on the top of my head without grabbing the lesson planner... there were a lot of assignments from Writer's Inc. There were additional assignments in the mfw planner such as character analysis and personal response essays to the literature selection. plot summaries in some cases. writing your own "quiz questions".

Another "daily writing" that is part of school, but isn't spelled out in the high school program as "do this"
Daily Note taking to prepare for tests in any subject.
that's a study skill vs. "writing instruction"... so it might not count for what you wanted.

I haven't finished the whl yet... you might look at the online sample to see the English writing assignments that are graded. scroll to page 13
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/50/10/0/1

some of those projects require the student to keep up with some of the writing in daily increments. example would be the character analysis...

oh wait. .. Oldest... is here... (she's in week 30.. she's the expert, right? let me see if she has anything off the top of her head...

Bible - My oldest is highlighting special verses, etc. She says this could be done as journal, but she doesn't. and we dont' see that as a mfw recommendation in the plans... but it could be done as journal
Experiencing God is a daily writing journal assignment.

English - what I said above. we're both wondering what you mean by daily writing? Some assignments are start this on Monday and turn in final draft on Thursday for final revision due on Friday.

History - review questions in Notgrass. like I said earlier, those can be sentences not essays.

Science - lab reports and write ups

Math - doesn't apply

is that helpful?

-crystal and her oldest?

Julie in MN

Re: More detail on daily writing in WHL

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:31 pm

I'll share too, to give you some variety in families and kids. I have a youngest boy, Crystal has an oldest girl, so we're a good comparison group :) So here's how it looks at our house, for a serious pencil-phobic boy:

1. Bible - Marie recommends a special highlighting system, but instead, my son emails me a sentence or two every day during Bible readings. When he's reading books other than the Bible, he doesn't do this. As Crystal's dd mentioned, Experiencing God has a journal of sorts and kids are writing in there; that study lasts quite a few weeks. Oh, and my son also emails me with a sentence or two about each hero in the Christian Heroes book, but that isnt assigned every day, and it's totally an extra that I added for my particular read-it-and-forget youngest.

2. History - students are reading Notgrass 3-4 times a week on average, and my son types up his answers to the questions after each lesson. Every 5 lessons or so, there's a unit test and he writes those by hand but they are multiple choice LOL. I do spend some time before each quiz going over his answers for the entire unit, and I make him discuss or type/write out any corrections. He also does some pencil work with the mapping.

3. English - *most* days have both a reading component and a writing component. Well, it doesn't always *say* to write, so I penciled that in, because usually there is a Writers Inc lesson or other instruction on Monday and the assignment is due on Thursday, so at least at my house that means draft writing in between. Usually the type of writing relates to the literature or history in some way -- you write a play while reading the play Julius Caesar; you write a speech while reading Tale of Two Cities about the French Revolution; you write about characters while reading Pride & Prejudice.

Now that's my own very loose interpretation of "most days." In a few cases, no writing is assigned, especially when a new "big" book is beginning, like Pilgrim's Progress or Tale of 2 Cities; there will be lots of reading and a new style to get used to, and then usually the second week writing will be added back in. And then there are plenty of days when you may be reading from the British Lit book or reading something that is in Notgrass, and for the writing you'll just basically answer questions in one of those books. And of course weeks 2-10 have the extensive research paper, and literature reading is free choice during those weeks.

HTH,
Julie

deltagal

Re: More detail on daily writing in WHL

Unread post by deltagal » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:22 am

Crystal and Julie -

This is VERY helpful. It give me a much better feel for how the week looks.

Your interpretation of my question was correct. I did mean actual pen to paper Or typing - articulating thoughts.

Thank you for the insight on the Bible readings. When you look at the lesson sample it looks as if you are simply reading different scriptures, but it sounds as if there is a little more to it than that with the highlighting.
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

Sue G in PA

Pride & Prejudice Essay in WHL...??

Unread post by Sue G in PA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:16 pm

A question for those of you who have done WHL. We are a bit "behind" this year and dd15 has just finished P&P and is writing her essay about her views on dating and marriage. I have asked her to refer back to P&P in her essay to compare or contrast her personal views of marriage/courting/dating to characters in the book (primarily Elizabeth, Jane, Mrs. Bennet, etc.). I think this appropriate for 10th grade level work. Am I wrong? Should I just let her write the essay as instructed in the Guide (basically a personal reflection w/out any reference to the book?). Thanks for you input! She is freaking out about it...which is a good sign that she should challenge herself and do as I asked :) Dd15 doesn't like to "think" more than necessary. :)

cbollin

Pride & Prejudice Essay in WHL...??

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:A question for those of you who have done WHL. Dd15 has just finished P&P and is writing her essay about her views on dating and marriage. I have asked her to refer back to P&P in her essay to compare or contrast her personal views of marriage/courting/dating to characters in the book (primarily Elizabeth, Jane, Mrs. Bennet, etc.). I think this appropriate for 10th grade level work. Am I wrong? Should I just let her write the essay as instructed in the Guide (basically a personal reflection w/out any reference to the book?). Thanks for you input! She is freaking out about it...which is a good sign that she should challenge herself and do as I asked :)
We did it as a personal belief. Not a compare/contrast to P & P. but it did turn out as compare/contrast..

Originally my daughter wrote for the assignment: After reading P &P, I'm staying single.
and then I said... that's not really enough for the assignment.
dd: well, I feel like I'm supposed to write something that you want to hear, or is the "sunday school" answer.
me: that would make it hard to do the assignment. any ideas what you'd like to say or what you think even if it doesn't go on the paper?
dd: yeah.. I don't have a clue on this topic.
me. ok. I understand. give it a day or so. maybe a variation on the topic will pop in your head.

a few days later:
dd: mom.. what if i write it like 3 blog entries? 1 entry each from 3 people will very different worldviews?
me: sounds interesting. do it.
and she did. 1 worldview was from "ultra conservative courtship to the extreme" point of view. 1 worldview was from another poitn of view that I don't have words for .. and last one was from point of view of how it worked out for her cousin and his now ex, but pregnant girlfriend.

I gave her an A on the paper for being able to write in 3 distinct "voices" and points of view. stayed on topic in each paragraph.

that's how it went over here.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Pride & Prejudice Essay in WHL...??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I wish I had something to share, but my son subbed this for some projects in his book club. However, I've read some great essays for this assignment (maybe Crystal's dd's, can't remember).

I'll just say that sometimes I do what you're describing, and ask for more substance. We each have kids who need to work on different things. I think it's appropriate to adapt, like you're doing, and like Crystal did...

My son is *definitely* in the category of needing to support his statements. I'm going through the assignment for Cry, The Beloved Country (love that book!) along side my son, because as I told him last night, "If he didn't go in the house to talk to his wife, he didn't go in the house. You can't just be chatty and approximate. Go to the book, find out -- he talked to his wife on the porch. Or just say he talked to his wife, and don't mention where he was. Don't change the facts. They need to be true............" I have a nice kid, but we keep plugging away on his facts. All the time. :~

Julie

Sue G in PA

Unread post by Sue G in PA » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks all. That is helpful. Perhaps I'll give her a day to "sit on it" and see what she comes up with. She hated the book. We are watching the BBC movie version now and she hates that too. I thought it would be a treat. I love P&P...love Austen. Sigh.

Any other ideas or ways to "change up" the essay are welcome. :)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:14 pm

my dd didn't like it either. she was good about reading it and then whining on an hourly basis about the story and characters. It put her original one sentence essay in perspective. 8[]

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:20 pm

That is so funny that these girls don't like P&P. I've only read it, well, at least once a year since living here... if not more often. And then if I'm in-bed sick, I'll put it in the DVD and watch it. LOVE P&P... And almost all the Austen books. But, maybe I'm just a romance junkie at heart.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Playwriting in WHL

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:07 pm

momxnine wrote:We are just so uncreative. :( What are some topics/subjects that you've used for the Week 2 play? And how long should it be? This was supposed to have been turned in today, but he hasn't even started! Partly my fault, I didn't check on him and see if he thought of something to do, but goodness.... he's almost 17, you'd think he would just ask for help! :~
My dd did it in fan fiction style. She was reading a book and did an extra scene with 2 characters, or maybe it was alternate ending or something like that. maybe it was an extra battle scene with them.. I can't remember the details of the plot. It was one scene or so in length.

-crystal

DS4home

Re: Playwriting in WHL

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm

My dd used a topic from her everyday life. She participates in our local school's marching band, so she wrote out a scene that somewhat typically occurs at practice. Not very creative, but she used the playwriting style to write it in. I don't remember how long it was, that was two years ago, but knowing her it was probably minimal - as in no longer than a handwriten page.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm

I got an idea from a book called Brightest Heaven of Invention (a Christian book on Shakespeare). They suggested you rewrite the Julius Caesar play using modern political figures, thinking about who might fit in each position.

My son did his own version of that idea. He made a Julius Caesar-type play where Queen Elizabeth was in the Caesar role, and he had a sort of "moral," trying to show that the bigger question is who gets power next, a murderer? (I think at the very end, he had both plotters decide to kill the other plotter at the same moment.)

I didn't so much care what his "story" was, but both of us have trouble just writing on random little topics, so the idea helped generate some possibilities.

But the main lesson for me was to help him see that as a reader, I need to be able to "understand" -- the story, the setting, who is who, etc. At first, he made some jumps in setting that weren't as obvious to me as they seemed to him, so I made him clarify where, when, why. I also remember he had two characters with similar names and I couldn't keep them straight as far as who wanted what, so I had him make their character traits come out more strongly (he chose not to change any names). Things like that.

Julie
P.S. I took a peek in my Word files and his was a little over 2 pages, with double spaces between each character's lines. However, some of those lines were just a word or two, for example,
Robert August, I must speak to you.
August Speak.

LOL.

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 pm

I have that book, Julie! And since he's reading Julius Caesar, maybe he could do something like that. It at least sounds interesting to me.

Thanks for the ideas! Surely he'll come up with something now. :)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

cbollin

WHL Week 2 Play Assignment

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:43 am

Lainie wrote:Hi all,

Yes, we are still alive over here :) We survived freshmen year (whew!) and WHL is awesome! So glad we did not throw in the towel.

Growing those perseverance muscles was painful for everyone but it has made this year so much sweeter.

Speaking of this year, Week 2 Play Assignment-- how long?? It just said short. Unless, we missed it (which is entirely possible).

Greetings to all {{[waving wildly}}
I thought the example in Writer's Inc was plenty long enough.

We did a scene or so. not very long.

but more than closing 3 circles of dialogue.

Lainie

Re: WHL Week 2 Play Assignment

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks Crystal!
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Nice to see you over here, Lainie. I remember looking for the length of my son's play in this thread. It's in my "p.s."
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 528#p90528
Lainie wrote:Hi Julie!

She found some free software that automatically formats for plays. So it's hard to just length (maybe??) Anyway, I wish I would have asked sooner. It's a three act play (I think) and she's on page 8 or so. There are other things she would have preferred to be working on. Play writing is an entirely different beast. ;)

Thanks!
Woohoo for 8 pages! Maybe she'll get more than 100 points on this, to help her out when she's having trouble with a later assignment?? Every family is different, but my oldest son got a lot of "extra credit" in public school.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Julie in MN wrote: Maybe she'll get more than 100 points on this, to help her out when she's having trouble with a later assignment?? Every family is different, but my oldest son got a lot of "extra credit" in public school.
that is what I was thinking.... extra credit or something... or finish this after "school" is done... or as "fun to finish" when other English assignments are done and you need to fill out the academic hour.... turn in the assignment now as is..

finish later to have fun, productive time when you need more time in English class... or as hobby (you know... not for school, just because it's cool to finish it)

I know on some of my dd's assignments she had fun with writing longer things. other assignments was just enough to get the assignment done.

cbollin

Re: WHL Research Paper

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 am

luv2tch wrote:Hi everyone! We are new to MFW this year. I have a 10th grade dd, 8th grade ds, and 5th grade ds. My dd is doing WHL and my boys are doing ECC. We are all really loving the curriculum and our year is off to a great start, praise the Lord!

My dd is struggling right now, though, with her research paper. She got a bit bogged down in her research process and now is struggling to get the paper written. She is starting on Week 9 tomorrow, but we have made some modifications so that she can do a thorough job with the writing and finish her first draft. She is a good writer, but tends to be very meticulous and wordy, so that I expect her paper to end up being long, thus taking her longer to write. She is writing about Christians in the performing arts, which is a topic near and dear to her heart, so it isn't the subject matter causing problems, just the fact that she is feeling overwhelmed. She has an outline put together, but I am wondering if it needs tweaking, since it has 5 main points with subpoints under each. What is a good guideline for how long the complete paper should be? I am looking for some guidance on encouraging her and helping her to be concise and stick to her points. Does anyone have some tips for me? She is a very responsible and independent worker normally, so I was slow to realize that she was falling behind on this project! I would like her to complete writing the first draft by the end of this week, if possible, but she needs help breaking that task down into manageable daily portions. Has anyone else had a similar struggle? Any advice would be welcome--thanks!
Rhonda
Hi Rhonda,

in week 3, monday notes, they give a rough guideline on length of paper. seniors (12th graders) should be 10 pages or so... younger high schoolers it could be 5-10 pages. (and that's not counting title page, table of contents, works cited pages...)
in terms of spacing.... this post recently from mfw office might shed more light
Postby Bret Welshymer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 am
Good question. In our experience a good rule of thumb and what most high school teachers and college professors will expect is double space, times new roman 12, one inch margins all the way around.
I'd encourage you as parent to read all of the week 3 monday notes again. I found it helpful to review that part when we hit the time for drafts..

I think a good portion of the struggle comes in the process of narrowing down a topic enough to not go overboard. That's a struggle for my oldest. too much to say and not well organized so everything gets covered in too small of paragraphs instead of cutting back a few things and saying more.

I'm not sure what other kind of breaking the task down to more manageable she needs. She has 5 points to make. how about one to two pages (double spaced thing) per point of outline? Write on 2 topics today. 2 tomorrow. last one on Wed. Begin to revise from Monday writing..... then on Thursday.. revise the last stuff. Turn in draft Thursday night. you make editorial comments.. hand it back and let her revise again...
sorry if my answer is vague.. :~

-crystal