Schedule - Can we begin the MFW cycle mid-year?

Michelle in WA

Re: For those of you who are in the early weeks of a MFW Yea

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 am

Ooh, I like the idea of starting something new in January. Hmmm. . . Might have to consider that. We have been working ever so slowly through this year's material. I am not the most scheduled person. And, I'm having a hard time finding my groove. Good thread!
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

momsflowergarden

Re: For those of you who are in the early weeks of a MFW Yea

Unread post by momsflowergarden » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:08 pm

We are in wk 6 of ECC. We do school year around but stop sc. and hist./geog. at the end of May and start it up again around the middle of Aug. I try to have our Math and LA at a good stopping point by the first to middle of July and we take 4-6 wks totally off.
I simply plan to start up again in Aug. from where we left off. I counted it up and we should finish ECC just before Thanksgiving and will start CtG at the first of the yr. I am excited about how it is working out that way as I like the month of Dec. to be a lighter month also, more like June is for us.
Although we take that 4-6 wks off I try to not take anything longer off as I feel like my two retain things better if we keep it up. I have considered keeping them in math most of the month of July but we will have to see.
Be Blessed
Sandy
Mom of 5
Homeschooler of 2, ds 10 and dd 11
Using CLE Math, Calculadders, PLL/ILL, Rod and Staff spelling, AND MFW ECC for History, Science and Bible.

Julie in MN

Older son joining mid-year?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm

inHisstrength wrote:I am considering switching my 5th and 2nd grader now b/c they are the ones that I am most inconsistent with as far as getting to the readings, etc.

If I do that, would it be okay for my older son to jump in mid-stream when he finishes his other program around November? He will be in 8th grade. I've never used MFW so just wondering what would be best, as far as he is concerned, before getting to the high school program. :~
Yes, an 8th grader can easily just join the family mid-year.

My ds in 8th did the last semester of 1850MOD and then half of ECC, because we'd been on a half-year schedule for a while. Then we just stopped ECC & started high school in 9th grade. It was all good.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Starting in the middle of the year?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm

meljen wrote:I am planning on starting my daughter (7 yo) on this new curriculum the minute it arrives (and I have things ready). I am ordering tomorrow, so it would be in the next week or two. I am not sure if I am going to start my son yet (5 yo), I might wait til mid-summer or the start of next school year.

I want to school year-round. But I am not sure how well the curriculum will coincide with me starting at the middle of the year. Are there holiday-based activities in there that will be way off, as opposed to starting in August? I want to get a head start as my daughter is a bit behind with learning, I don't want to wait out this year before I begin.

Any help would be great! Thank you!
I'm thinking the apple unit suggests a field trip to orchard, but you can do the unit with a field trip to grocery store or farmer's market and then wait until fall for orchard.

Leaf: house plant will definitely work. or go pick up a cheap one at grocery store floral department.

oh yeah, there's ways around the grape to raisin if needed.
Dusenkids wrote:What about the butterfly unit? What happens to butterflies if you grow them in the winter... :~
of course.. Insect Lore, the company that sends the caterpillars and ants, will not send them during too cold of weather. So, what worked for me? Order butterflies in late spring and did the garden when they arrived. Took pictures and reviewed the pictures when we got to the actual unit in the manual. Did it that way twice. first time, no cat. second time, cat. So, we got a tension rod and hung the garden hut thing up high out of cat's reach in a doorway.

ants: same thing.. it has to be warm enough for the company (insect lore) to ship. so if you order them and they aren't done exactly at the same time as the unit, it's ok and still a lot of fun.

I remember when my youngest was officially starting Kindy at home, we kicked off the year in the summer with the butterflies and just watched.

My middle gal started mfw K around March or april. I remember I wanted to have her doing some "formal school" prior to her developmental ed-psych eval and that was summer. I loved her official diagnosis.... "A" is a delightful young girl who exhibits delays in receptive and expressive language. How's that for a dx? Experts said she was delightful. and it's true.

oh, sorry.... anyway.. uhm...... Welcome to the Board!

-crystal

Dusenkids

Re: Starting in the middle of the year?

Unread post by Dusenkids » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Welcome!

I was thinking the same thing, starting K in the summer. My son is eager to get started and I like the idea of school year-round. I figured out most units, Crystal mentioned some good ideas. The leaf unit, try rubing silk leaves. Craft stores might have some colored leaves year-round. (Not sure on that one) And you might find bird nests as a craft store for the nest unit. It looks doable, let you know in a few months ;)

Just a thought, If you do postpone a fieldtrip that you really want to take, say the orchard, make sure you write it down later in your plans or on a calendar so you don't forget about it.

Happy Teaching
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm

I think K is, so far for us, the only one that sort of works around the weather on some of the units as mentioned above. A few projects in some of the other years may work better outside in good weather but can be skipped or 'revisited' when appropriate.

I think it was ADV, but I remember learning about snowflakes last year. We only got to watch a cool video about Snowflake Bentley and such but we don't get snow here in this part of CA so we didn't get any real life with it. My dc were still happy learning about it even without the hands on in this case.

It was really cold here last year (minus the snow) when we did the butterfly unit so I just kept them in the 'garden' habitat and I fed them sugar water on a paper towel every day. They were happy enough and lived about 3 or 4 weeks. (Which is their life span.) There were directions for this in the kit.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm

It's pretty easy to school year-round with MFW. Lots of folks do that. Some even roll curriculum in January instead of Aug/Sept and make it work. The only real holiday thing in the curriculum (that I know of) is the Thanksgiving unit in ADV, which specifically states that it is a stand-alone unit to be done during the week of Thanksgiving and it doesn't matter if it falls out-of-order. CTG (which we'll be doing next year) has all these holiday things from the Jewish calendar, but I've sliced it every which way and decided that we'll never do each one as it falls on the real calendar.

You'll be fine with MFWK and MFW1 starting mid-year. (Although I still vote for holding off with your little guy.) Some of the ideas will need to be revised to fit. But, in homeschool, some of the ideas always need to be revised to fit! :-) At least for my family they do.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

meljen

Unread post by meljen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you for your replies!

I do think I'll go ahead and start our daughter when the kits arrive (1st grade) and our son when he is ready, though I have a feeling that will be soon. He has been watching us since Sept. '10 with the AmblesideOnline curriculum. He will be EXCITED when he sees all of the hands-on stuff. It's part of why I am switching. :-)

As for weather, we live near Seattle. I'm used to improvising, lol. But thank you for the heads up on the units! It will be fun to think outside of the box.

The butterflies - we actually have the EXACT same kit right now. No joke. The butterflies have been living for almost a month and a half. It's crazy. One finally died a week ago from an unfortunate accident with it being stuck to the sugar water that got on the bottom of the home, and another died today. We have two cats. That has been a challenge. We have the home hung from the ceiling in the kids' room, but our cat jumped for it finally yesterday and almost ripped the home in half. I had to sew it - and I thank my daughter for that idea!

It has been an experience in teaching our kids about life and death. They already faced it once when my dad (their Grandpa - favorite family member in the world outside of mommy and daddy) passed away just over a year ago. So we respectfully bury the butterflies in the ground so they can feed the flowers that will grow in the spring - and I remind our daughter that the butterflies are going to heaven to be with grandpa. We're 'sending' him our butterflies. :-)

ANYWAY - listen to me babble, lol! Thanks again everyone. I am so excited. I wish I had the money to buy EVERYTHING all at once, I can't handle the wait!
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)

Erna

Starting ECC in January

Unread post by Erna » Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 am

happyWImom wrote:When we used Adv., there were some things that would have been better had we started in September. Nothing major, just things like the Nutcracker study, bird stuff; things like that. So I was wondering if that's the case for ECC, also.

We are going to be starting in January, and I am hoping that won't make a difference or cause problems for us. I always seem to be starting things at the wrong time! You would think I would learn my lesson, and get on-track. Thanks!
We started ECC in November and I knew the land would be frozen when we got to Canada. So, I made some imprints of maple leafs with sculpey clay with early with the children and brought it back out during our studies.

The other issues I had were for a worm habitat (but we did one in a previous year and could do it in spring/summer if needed) and one experiment with temperature outside. We still did one science activity that required sectioning off a square foot outside but we did it around our bird feeder. I will likely redo this during our nature studies. I guess whatever doesn't work can just be done another time.

cbollin

Re: Starting ECC in January

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 pm

I've started MFW in may, june, july, one time in august. never really ran into an issue that couldn't be solved.

I dont' remember running into holiday issues in ECC. but it helps to know I personally wouldn't be bothered on nutcracker in July. so that never bothers me on stuff like that.

nature studies: there are always virtual options for a picture or too. ECC doesn't expect that everyone will have access to all biomes in the world.

hmm.... still thinking.... I have a weird memory that someone said something in germany weeks fits in december?

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 28, 2011 1:30 pm

happyWImom wrote:Nothing major, just things like the Nutcracker study, bird stuff; things like that. And, I always seem to be starting things at the wrong time, because I have run across this many times! You would think I would learn my lesson, and get on-track. :-)
There was some discussion here (including the elusive Germany reference ;) ):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4661

The second time we did ECC, we started at the end of January. I didn't notice any problem.

Over the years, when we have started in an odd season, or done something out of sync with the rest, I have found that we have still been blessed. We might not have had the connection that Marie Hazell planned in the manual, but God has found other connections for us.

But as for what to look out for, we live in Minnesota where almost nothing works out for the right season. So sorry I'm no help! I do think many things can be adapted (Crystal is good at reminding folks to use the plant store). Or, if I really wanted to do something seasonal, I might put a sticky note on it for later. Sometimes we did lots of fun stuff at the end of the year when it finally got nice :)

Julie

happyWImom

Unread post by happyWImom » Sat May 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Julie:

Thanks for the link-it was a big help! It gave me some ideas, and I can probably get a better idea when I actually have the TM in front of me.

Mainly, I will just pray, and figure that we'll start whenever God wants us to.

I tend to waaaaay overthink EVERYTHING.
2011-2012, ECC
Dd-9, Ds-7
TAMMI

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat May 28, 2011 4:31 pm

FWIW, we did Germany in Nov/Dec '10 and I didn't notice a single connection to Christmas. It's not in the crafts for art. There's a book about Hannukah. ??
I have no idea why some people tie Germany in ECC into Christmas.
From my sketchy notes, it looks like we only got 4-5 book basket books, so I may have missed it. Or could it have been the cooking that was Christmas related?

I remember God putting a lot in our path during that time - a ladies' tea where one lady from Germany decorated her table that way, a German neighbor singing Silent Night in German, etc.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Mom2theteam

thinking ahead to next year

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Ohmomjacquie wrote:I've been pondering this lately and thought I'd ask you all. I'm 8 weeks pregnant with our 4th blessing and due end of july! We started a year round schedule this year and I love it. SO much nicer for all of us.I really want to keep that up. Next year my ds will start the MFW k and my oldest will be doing ECC. Thinking about our new bundle of joy and our schedule. I can either take a short break in may after we finish adventures and then start ECC and K in june, school til lo is born and then pick back up in end of aug or sept. Would we be ok to start in june with everything or should I just wait and start in september?
I haven't done ECC, only K (and doing 1st). For K, you can start whenever. The time of year really didn't affect us any. That said, I just had a baby 2 months ago. I had a plan. My plan was to school right up till the baby came and then take a month off after to adjust. This baby is my 6th. It turned out that I need time off before the baby. I was just antsy and nesting like crazy and just not able to focus on school. Then, within 2wks after the baby coming, I was SO ready to get back to it. So, we started back.

My point is, I would have a general plan, but be ready to deviate and just go with the flow and what you need. I was surprised that I needed time off before the baby, but not much after. We have a year round schedule also. Having that extra flexibility is really nice. :-)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MelissaB

Re: thinking ahead to next year

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

Congratulations, Jacquie! :-) I haven't had a sweet little bundle in eight years, so I can't give any advice. But I wonder if you've asked your husband what his priorities are for your family during that time? Our men can be wonderfully insightful, when given the chance. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: thinking ahead to next year

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

As someone who's had some starts-n-stops over the years, I'll just say that I don't pass on an opportunity to move ahead with school when things are going well. So I'd probably start if you feel that works for you.

I know the manual is set up nicely with a gentle start to each year and sometimes a fun activity, but really my son has never noticed when we started a new year. He enjoys the fun week at the beginning or in the middle :)

I love Melissa's suggestion of presenting your thoughts to dh and asking for his input, as that has so cleared the confusion for me many times. And I 100% agree with Heather on making a plan but allowing for flexibility!
Julie

amelasky

Anyone else starting a new grade after Christmas?

Unread post by amelasky » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:21 pm

mshanson3121 wrote:It's ridiculous, I'm so excited I can hardly wait for school to start again... which for us won't be until Jan 9th (I babysit for a family so we have to follow the school year in our homeschool due to my babysitting). I'm just so excited to FINALLY be starting MFW, after over a year of putting off what God was calling us to do!!!
We switch our schoolyear over in January. :) My son will be joining big Sis in Rome to the Reformation. He's super excited. We are looking forward to a fresh year in January.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

momma2sevenblessings

Re: Anyone else starting a new grade after Christmas?

Unread post by momma2sevenblessings » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:14 am

this is our first year to not be starting in the winter(we're 6 weeks into C to G), we used to always change "books/curriculum" some time after Christmas, but we changed "grades" in July......this past summer was also our first time to take a summer break(we've always schooled year round......, but we had a baby in June in the middle of baseball season for our 4 oldest so we planned to change things up a bit:)

It can and does work out just fine to begin in the winter!:)

Blessings as you decide what will work best for your family this next year:)

Debbie,

Momma2sevenblessings:

Kanen-12
Abia-10
Charis-8
Tobias-6
Elijah-3 1/2
Micah-2
Eden-6mo.

Cici

I'm not crazy, am I???

Unread post by Cici » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:25 pm

moonangel wrote:Am I crazy to consider switching mid-October, after investing way more than I care to admit in other things? I did MFWK with my oldest a couple years ago but lost steam with the way the manual was set up (which has since been revised), not to mention a medically needy child.

After listening to David Hazell's lectures on CD, DH and I were drawn back to MFW. So much seems to be leading me back to MFW, but I am scared to take the plunge... mainly because of the financial side of things which I know shouldn't really be the deciding factor. I think I am coming to terms that I am a check list kind of girl... I like the structure and guidance, even if I don't want to readily admit it ;) . I have 4 LOs, 7, 5, 3, and 22 months. I am open to any thoughts anyone might have :-)
I'd say do it :) However, I'd encourage you to pray about it (I'm sure you have) & try to make a long term decision. I'm by far no expert, however I think it's safe to say that curriculum hopping could cause gaps, etc...

I switched to MFW after months of feeling that something was missing and spending waaayyy too much time lesson planning.

The passion, experience & will of God that went into creating MFW is priceless! Plus, pilot families were our "guinea pigs," what more could we want, lol, can you tell I love MFW? ;)

Sure, there's no "perfect" curriculum, but MFW is pretty darn close!
Praying for Gods will in your decision, have a beautiful blessed day!!
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

MelissaB

Re: I'm not crazy, am I???

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:25 pm

You're not crazy. Investing in a curriculum that helps us stay better organized in the most efficient amount of time is wise. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Melissa was typing while I was, and I agree with her.
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonangel

Unread post by moonangel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 pm

I actually do put a lot of time, thought and research into curriculum choices, but to be honest, this is the first time I have every prayed about it &) . It's an area of my life I am currently working on... MFW is the first curriculum I looked at and bought, but I was drawn away by the influences of other people I think. Now that I have a little more experience under my belt, here I am again ;) . DH and I have been drawn back to MFW for a few months now, but when the conversations started I had already purchased most everything for this year and felt really guilty just abandoning it after investing so much time, energy and money into it already.

DH asked me if I bought it yet! He's egging me on, that's for sure! Last night I was clicking around and somehow ended up in the HS section by accident. I was scrolling through the books and The New Answers Book 1 was one of the required books! That is DH's go to resource right now since we went to the Creation Museum this summer. He said he knows that David Hazell has similar beliefs as Ken Ham based on a couple of phrases in his lectures... both men have totally changed the course of our lives - as individuals, a couple, a family, etc. so that has further sold him on switching. As I was typing an email to him to tell him about the Answers book it uses, what pops up in my inbox? An email from Answers magazine LOL. Should that be my sign?

Oh, and this just happens to be DH's extra paycheck month ;)

ForByGrace

Unread post by ForByGrace » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Not crazy at all!! ;) If you are....then so am I! :-) We began the school year using another curriculum and ended up changing to MFW by the end of September. One of the best homeschooling decisions ever! :)

I second what the ladies have mentioned about really praying about your decision. It can be a big choice what to use to educate our children, not only academically but spiritually as well! ;)

Blessings as you decide! :)
For 2014-2015:

AHL and EX1850

moonangel

Unread post by moonangel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:05 pm

Last night DH (playfully) grabbed my shoulders and (jokingly) yelled at me "Why haven't you ordered it yet?!" I guess there's no denying what his preference is...

I am planning on calling tomorrow to order what I need for Adventures and K. I'm doing the manual trade in so I can't just place an online order. We're going to take the week off since we're supposed to have absolutely beautiful weather which doesn't last long here so we're going to take advantage of it! This will give us a week to breathe and give me a chance to reorganize and regroup before restarting things with MFW the next week (hopefully, if the stuff comes in in time... if not, we'll figure something out to keep us occupied until then).

moonangel

Unread post by moonangel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:36 pm

betancourt6 wrote:Hello friend!
How's MFW coming along, after the big switch? I was going to reply to you via email, but figured that your response might help someone else reading this fun thread. I know it has encouraged me! ;-)
It is going so well! It took us a while to get all the curriculum in due to a manual trade in and glitch in the phone order (the guy I talked to each time was really helpful, and very apologetic about the order mixup), but once we did it's been smooth sailing! God has a sense of humor and even though I was already feeling confident it was the right decision, the first English lesson was on squirrels, of all things! My ODS is obsessed with squirrels (I actually just put up a curtain over our back door tonight b/c he was getting so distracted looking for them in the trees way out back). I feel so much more confident with school, and ODS is starting to enjoy it again. It felt so broken and scattered when I tried to piece it together... there wasn't any smooth transitions or anything. He keeps begging to continue on with the history readings

The NIrV Bible that's included has been such a blessing. It is not at all something I would have bought on my own, but within a week he went from being on the brink of reading (which he has been for about a year, he's 7.5 now) to reading stories from his new Bible all on his own. He was so excited to have one all his own that he could read by himself. He has noticed that some verses are different - for instance today was John 3:16 which he has already memorized in another translation so he went to "read" it by spouting off what he already knew, but stopped a few words in and went "Heeeeyyyy, this is different!" The transformation we have seen in him in just the last 2 weeks has been wonderful. ODD is enjoying the MFWK sheets so far so hopefully that will continue. We're just in week 1 since we had the creation series to get through first.

I feel so much at peace with school... which is a first! I heard a lecture/sermon a few weeks ago at our women's Bible study about God's Glorious Unfolding - how we need to listen to him, even when it doesn't make sense... eventually all the pieces will come together. It has been so true. So many little things that really made no sense at all are starting to mesh together into one big picture. Our family is on the brink of something, I don't know what, but we're slowly preparing ourselves the best we can so when it's time we're ready to go! I feel like the switch to MFW curriculum is a piece of the puzzle...