Schedule - Ideas when first weeks seem quick

TriciaMR

Schedule - Ideas when first weeks seem quick

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 pm

New to MFW; is this normal?
Plgw2013 wrote:I am teaching 1st and 4th (ECC), with two kids sitting in on ECC with my fourth grader. Start to finish, we are done in 1-3 hours every day, including Latin. I am sure that I'm following the teacher's manuals exactly, and doing the "Advanced" options for my fourth grader. We haven't gotten to week 3 yet, so we aren't doing Spelling Power yer, but can this really be right? I feel like I must be missing something. :~
You will also add in Writing and English after the handwriting review is over, so that will add a little more time. You are doing Math and Math Drill? I set the timer for 15 minutes of math drill (I use Mathblaster on my iPad). Are you doing the deluxe, with the read alouds (or do you have the 1st edition?).

But, that can be the right amount of time. I have 2 dyslexic kids, so it is much harder for us to get done so quickly.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: New to MFW; is this normal?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:45 pm

You might take a peak at the sample schedule in the front of the ECC manual and see what is taking less time for you. Then you can look ahead and see if those areas will be bulking up in the weeks ahead. If you still think you'll be done in less than 4 hours (which would be unusual if you're baking the cake, taking the nature walk, writing the Friday letter, doing math facts as Trish mentioned, etc., but could happen), then here are a couple of add-ons:

1. Ideas board, focusing on Weeks 1-2 & General Ideas
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15

2. Productive after noon ideas. MFW is designed for free exploration in the afternoons, but sometimes we need to model this for our kids at first
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1829

3. When I first brought my kids home from public school, I felt the need to have a full day at first and prove it was "real school" or something &) I did a morning weather chart, a pledge of allegiance, a weekly menu planning, we decorated a notebook cover, read a kids newspaper, learned a hymn or children's song, etc etc. But I did think ECC took about 4 hours -- maybe I had my son do more on his notebook writing and such than most?!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 am

I remember ECC getting done in a really short amount of time the first few weeks, too. Like the others already noted, once you get past handwriting and add English, Read Alouds, etc., it will stretch a little.

Enjoy the short days. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Plgw2013

Unread post by Plgw2013 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks! We have done BJU Press or Abeka in the last several years and I guess I'm mainly unused to the lack of bookwork. She hated the bookwork so I guess that's a good thing!

I have the deluxe package and we are reading together a lot, but I don't want to be missing out on anything important.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 am

Just remember to do the narration after the readings, as described in the front of the manual. At first it may seem goofy to ask the children what you just read about, but soon you realize they need this to process what they read. In the end, I think narration worked far better than the worksheets, as long as we didn't forget to do it!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Just chiming in with the others to reassure you that it'll pick up as you go along. :) If you're used to the classroom textbook method prior to MFW, it's going to feel very different. That's okay. It's a different method (much more efficient, IMO), but that doesn't mean learning isn't happening. Plus, weeks 1 and 2 are "intro" weeks, and those are almost always going to be lighter in any year of MFW to give everyone time to acclimate. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

kanderson

Unread post by kanderson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Sounds about right for the first few weeks. (I did 1st and ECC last year). I agree with above posts that it picks up as you go through the year so, enjoy your "shorter" days while you can ;)
Kristin
married to dh since 2001
ds-9 ECC
dd-6 1st,
ds-4 MFW Pre-School/ Rod and Staff,
dd-2, into everything!
one in the arms of Jesus

http://wefruitfullymultiplied.blogspot.com/

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:53 am

Enjoy it. I was disappointed when school started to take longer than that, lol.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2