Record Keeping / Planners - Ideas to use with MFW

Art, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Walks, as well as general ideas and encouragement
MelissaM

Re: Planners

Unread post by MelissaM » Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 pm

You can make copies of the grid - 1 for each kid, if you want, or whatever way will work best for you. If your kids are old enough to move into semi-independence, you can make them their own copies, fill in their math/la assignments, and let them be in charge of their own grids. (With you checking in to make sure it's all getting done, on time and correctly, of course.)

:)

[editor's note: copying the grid is allowed as long as the original manual is not loaned/given/sold, with more info on the copyrights here https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/s ... 9&s=y&ps=y ]
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Buttercup78

Re: Planners

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I was in the same boat (although only 2 kiddos in the same program) but I needed a planner. At convention this weekend I really perused a lot of them. I finally settled on one I had forgotten about that I used to use in my first years of homeschooling (10 yrs ago). http://www.fergnusservices.com/ It's simple and it comes in bright colors so I can find it!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

carlamom2ansnm

Lesson Planning

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 pm

MrsRobinson wrote:I was wondering if anyone would like to share how they plan lessons. Specifically, I have two in exp-1850, a 7th and 2nd grader. I don't want to write in their spelling, math and other individual subjects on the actual teacher plans from Mfw because I will be using these particular plans 2 more times. So, I'm in my 12th year of hs and I've yet to find or create the prefect planner. What do you do?
I don't lesson plan ahead of time. I separate out into weekly folders. I have 36 folders and place all MFW worksheets in those for the year. Then I have the binding removed from math and any other worksheet type books and place them all in a single folder. Sunday night, I place all the work into individual day folders for each kid for the week. So I have a Alyssa - Monday folder, Alyssa - Tuesday folder, etc. Then they have everything that they need to finish for that day in the folder. If they want to work ahead for the week, they can. I also then put post it notes on the folder for anything else that I want them to finish that doesn't come in workbook type form (spanish cd, etc). Then, I use MFW's lesson plans as a guide for my week, but I don't feel like I need to literally plan more than what they already have in there.

I then have a separate lesson journal book that I've created myself (but it's simply the kind with boxes and subjects) and I journal, after the fact, everything they've done, how they did on any tests, etc. Does this make any sense?

Basically I do folders ahead of time, and journal at the end of the day.

TriciaMR

Re: Lesson Planning

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:04 pm

I use Homeschool Tracker Plus to track "extras" like Math, Reading, Spelling, Piano, AWANA, etc.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 am

I made a spreadsheet on the computer for all those individual subjects & extras (piano practice, etc) and print one off each week. I have boxes labeled down the left with the subjects, so I don't have write that over & over. So I have a R___ Math, S___Math, D___ Math, R___Lang. Arts, S___Lang. Arts, etc. I also have specific things listed in each box, so I don't have to rewrite them all the time (eg: Interm. Language Lessons, Handwriting, etc.). All I have to do then is fill in the specific pages, lesson numbers, etc. And though all books are listed every day, we don't do everything everyday---just what mom schedules.

Anyway, the kids have liked it--they know what they need to do each day. I like it, because it's there on the paper, so I don't have to "nag" them. They've actually gotten more responsible with their getting their work done--probably because it's a lot easier for mom to see who's not working, but whatever works!!! We used to cross things out as they were done, but now we use highlighters and the kids actually delight in getting things done (OK, not every day!!)--maybe better stated, they delight in crossing things off! They choose the highlighter of the day, and it looks like a rainbow til Friday arrives. Hey, it's the small things!! ;) It actually has helped me to, because it's a lot easier to read what they've done (we have to track days and submit paperwork here, so I need an idea of what we accomplished each day). Oh, we jut keep the list on a clipboard in an area for all to see.

So that's what we do here. . . . which you probably won't understand, unless I can figure out how to send you a sample!!! I'm going to go try. . . .

--Dee

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm still using my Motivated Moms planner for short-hand lesson/daily plans/etc. It's my friendly daily docket, so to speak.
Then for record keeping, I also copy the TM grid and add my checkmarks and short notes to that. (I will not be selling any of my teacher's manuals that I have used this way.)

I wasted a LOT of time last month and earlier this month testing out other plans, excel spreadsheets, and MOTH, etc only to find myself right back to using Motivated Moms. So once you find something that works for you, just STICK with it. LOL

Here is a link to how I use the calendar as my lesson planner and daily docket. OH - let me go get a current picture, too.
http://mybluedaisy.blogspot.com/2011/04 ... ng-my.html
Last week - please ignore that I barely checked any chores off. That tends to happen at the beginning of school. :-)
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:35 pm

I have yet to find the perfect planner either! Last year I wrote the math, spelling, english, etc. into the MFW guide in pencil - but I would not have been able to squeeze in enough for 2 kids - so this year I found a really cheap planner for a teacher at the $1 store. It has nice big boxes for about 7 or 8 subjects Mon thru Fri and has at least 40 weeks in it. The boxes are so big - I was able to be thrifty and use 1 planner for 2 kids! I just added their subject to the top of the column and drew a line through the middle - but I picked up 3 at that price - and they work great. Nothing fancy - but I like it better than squeezing into those tiny boxes in my guide or erasing all that pencil when my dd comes back around to it. (Granted - I'm glad the boxes are there to remind me to schedule math, reading, english, writing, spelling, foreign language, etc....cuz I know that if those boxes were not there - I would never get it all in. But I prefer to work from the MFW guide and use my cheap planner for additional subjects at the level and pace my child is at.)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

kjknits

Unread post by kjknits » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:09 pm

I won't sell my TM, so I made two sets of copies of the grid (I have two kids doing ECC, a 9 yo and a 7 yo). I keep a binder with separate sections that I use as my record keeping binder. One copied set of the TM grid goes behind my daughter's tab, and the other goes behind my son's tab, and I write directly on them what they do each day. At the top of the column I write the date and the school day number, as well. I started using this method last year in Adv and it worked so well for us! I also have a tab for field trips (just a brief summary of the trip and the date), a calendar, and a sheet to record grades from math and spelling. I also keep a resources list in the front for each child so I have a complete listing of everything we used for the year. I just add to it as necessary. And I keep the paperwork from our accountability association in the binder, as well...it's a very important binder! First thing I'd grab in case of emergency or natural disaster! ;-)

Hope this helps!
Katie
Wife to JJ, and mom to DJ (9) and AJ (7)
Formerly a "piece-it-together" WTM classical homeschooler...but officially a MFWer now! (Adv 2011-2012, ECC 2012-2013)

Wendy B.

Record keeping with MFW

Unread post by Wendy B. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 pm

kw4blessings wrote:My oldest will be starting Adv for 2nd grade next week. Because of the homeschooling status that we chose for our state, we are not required to submit anything to our local board as far as records go. But, I would like to keep some kind of record for each child to have for various reasons. How do I go about doing that using MFW in the elementary years? Do I need to make a list of each subject? So much seems integrated between subjects with MFW. I'm at a loss right now. From this past year in 1st, I kept dd's workbook, Bible notebook, some of the phonics projects, some pages from CBOM, etc.

What do you all do, whether to comply with state laws or just for your own purposes (portfolio, etc.)? How do you keep it organized? Thanks!
I copy the weekly grids and keep my marked copies. I keep the history notebook. These two items become our record of the year.

I also keep the English/writing notebook and our math workbooks. No one actually looks through English/writing notebook or math workbooks so those items eventually get tossed. I keep a few writing samples from each year so that I have something to look back on for comparison.

HTH

[editor's note: copying the grid is allowed as long as the original manual is not loaned/given/sold, with more info on the copyrights here https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/s ... 9&s=y&ps=y ]
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

asheslawson

Re: Record keeping with MFW

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I was at Mardel the other day & saw a nice cardboard folder with a place to keep a record for K-12 - I wish I'd started it with K for my children! However - I just kept sampling of their work in a flat priority mail box each year when they are younger. This year I will begin keeping grades for my 7th grade boys so I can start being ready for keeping their transcript - so I haven't decided how to do it - probably an Excel spreadsheet & maybe use the Well Planned Day planner.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Like Wendy, I have kept notebooks. Maybe some day I'm going to have to weed things out, but until their high school graduation, each year of school has:

1. History notebook, including any photos, related field trip brochures, etc.

2. Everything else notebook, with sticky-label on each new subject. During my more organized years, the first page of each subject would list everything used for that subject during the year, and possibly a copy of the table-of-contents for math books etc. Later, I just put things like the MFW catalog page on the first page of the subject. Then after the first page, there are samples of various work done, all writing is saved, and sometimes photos and such (especially of big things like artwork). The last sticky-label marks off "school stuff" such as our school calendar, paperwork, and test scores (all required in MN), and anything else that didn't have a place.

Here are some more ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3238

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 am

I photocopy the weekly grid, one per child, so that I can write their individual 3 R's right onto their own copy of the grid. Then that becomes part of their permanent record as I put it in their MFW binders (see Marie's instructions in the teaching pages at the front of the manual), and the MFW binders serve as our required portfolio for the state. We don't actually have to show it to anyone or file any reports, but we're supposed to have it available "just in case" anything ever comes up. Plus, we like looking back at these to see what we've done in the past.

We also have to log hours in our state, so for my elementary students, I would just write start and stop times right on the grid. Of course, sometimes we do non-MFW activities that count toward those hours, too. Sometimes I would write those in on the grid, and sometimes not, but an extra "journal" sheet of some sort keeps track of this.

I have a separate homeschool journal for keeping track of my high schoolers' stuff because they're involved in SO many different things, and recordkeeping requirements are a little more technical at that level. But at the elementary level, I don't need anything separate.

Oh, and I use page protectors for artwork and any extra, odd-shaped pieces of "evidence" such as brochures from a museum.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:42 pm

My state requires a portfolio which must be evaluated and then submitted to the school district. We include numerous samplings from each subject (per state requirements). We include field trip pages and extras from the year that we do--because it's fun to remember those things! The law also requires curriculum used (I type up each subject and what books we used), as well as a reading list (which includes book basket and "regular" reading books). Then there's some odds & ends requirements (e.g.--days of school, etc.).

I do keep their portfolios, which is usually just 1 or 1 1/2 inch binder, in case the school district calls anything into attention. The portfolios include all the things our state law requires, so it's just easiest to keep them (I recently had a discussion, though, with a fellow homeschooler whether we need to even do that or if we just need to keep our evaluator's report---but that has nothing to do with you!! ;) ).

If I didn't have to do all these things, what would I do? I would keep a list of the curriculum used. Now I wouldn't include all the reading books from book basket on this list--just the "spines"--basically what is included in MFW package. Does that make sense? I keep their history/Bible notebooks. . . because they (kiddos)actually sometimes sit and look back over them! I got a fat 3-ring notebook and transfer things into that each year, so they have one running history. Math sheets go, most English sheets go (except for some of the writing assignments that we enjoyed!). Kiddos pick any science they want to keep (most years it's not much, but sometimes they have things they want to keep). That goes for the other subjects, too--music, art, etc. And sometimes there's something that they don't pick that I do!

I would suggest at least keeping a record of what curriculum was done each year, for the simple reason of not knowing where you may end up in the future. Another state, different laws--not that you'd HAVE to show more than what your state required, but it may make it easier. Know what I mean?? Plus, it's nice for you to look back at that record on those days when you just feel like you're failing as a homeschool mom and haven't been doing enough. (I'm not the only one who has those days, am I??!! :) )

Well, that was a long answer to a short question.
--Dee

Amy C.

Planner Challenges

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

raised4Him wrote:I am new to MFW this year and starting with ECC with a 3rd and 7th grader. I need suggestions for a planner. I love the fact that everything is listed so wonderfully in the teacher's manual BUT, there doesn't seem to be enough space for me to write info for both of them in the same space. Can anyone give me some ideas or suggestions how they have handled this. I hope this makes sense, maybe I am just overthinking this, as I often do. But I would love to hear from anyone who has any great ideas. With summer wrapping up I am really wanting to get this planned out, and just can't get passed this for some crazy reason. Thank you--I just need a light bulb to go off/ :~ Dawn
You can make each child their own copy of the weekly lesson plan charts, and they can each keep them in their own 3 ring binder. This is allowable under the condition that you do not sell, give, or loan the original TM or any of the copies. You can find this at the very front of the TM on the copyright page.

Also, I used abbreviations for subjects, like PLL (Primary Language Lessons) or ILL (Intermediate Language Lessons) pg. ?. Or TB (textbook) or WB (workbook) for math.

Does this help?

Sorry I don't have recommendations for planners. I haven't used one in several years, and really didn't use the one I bought (on sale) many years ago. Maybe someone else can help with that. :)

Welcome to MFW!
Amy C.

TriciaMR

Re: Planner Challenges

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 pm

A lot of people like the Well-Planned Day planner - has space for up to 4 children. I got my oldest (a freshman this year) her own high school planner for her to start tracking her own school work.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

raised4Him

Unread post by raised4Him » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks Amy, that is kind of what I have been leaning towards. I just wondered if someone else had any other ideas. I have made my own planners for other years, but have never used a curriculum where a planner like MFW was provided, so I really hate to copy everything they have already laid out onto something else. Thanks for the input :-)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Before I used MFW, I had "Ward Teacher's Lesson Plan and Assignment Book" and that was simple to use, just squares, but all bound in a book.

I've also printed off blank grids I made.

If you use a planner, you can just write "Week 4, Day 1" in the science box, or whatever. You don't have to write in all the books and page numbers.

But one of the perks with MFW for me was not needing to use a planner. I just wrote the date in the box, and wrote extra things underneath the grid. In ECC, you can put a lot of the 7th grader's things over in the 7-8th grade grid on the right-hand page.

In this post by David Hazell, he describes using initials or different colors for each child (they had 6): http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 4340#p4340

Here is a very long thread (5 pages) about record-keeping ideas for MFW: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3238

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

donutmom

Unread post by donutmom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:19 pm

I made up my own planning sheet on the computer that I could print out the "master" each week. It only had those subjects that each child had to do individually, and I'd put it on a clipboard with the MFW schedule for the week.

The planner sheet was made in a grid pattern as is typical of most planners. Wrote subjects in one column, then had column for each day of week. So in subject column, for example, I wrote: A. Math, A. Lang.Arts, A. Music (for piano practice), T. Math, T. Lang.Art, T. Music, etc. On the master, I put names (abbreviations, actually) of relevant books on each day. For example, under math, each square had written Lesson and FC (for flashcard review). Under Language arts, PLL, ILL, Spelling, HW (handwritng), Phonics, or whatever applied to that child.

Each week I would print off a master and then fill in appropriate lesson number, page numbers, etc.--because of having individual book names/types of assignments already printed on the master, it only took a moment to fill out. My kiddos like to use a highlighter on each assignment as they complete it. They like to pick a different color for each day of the week, so we end up with a rainbow. They now use the highlighters on the MFW schedule, too! It's the little things that count, right??!!! ;) It is handy, though, for it makes it very easy to see what didn't get done that week. I hope that makes sense. For now it's what is working here.

-Dee

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 am

When all my kids were in elementary, well, even when I just had two in elementary, I photocopied the grid so that I could write in their individual specifics and keep it in their portfolios as part of their permanent record. In our state, we had to have a portfolio showing their work and progress, anyway, so this worked well. Anything else I tried felt like I was wasting a lot of time reinventing the wheel. If you have to (or want to) keep a record of their lesson plans, it's actually LESS work to just copy the grid and write in anything that's missing than it is to write it all out from scratch.

Now I have one elementary and one high schooler, and we're in a different state (though I'll still keep a portfolio just in case; plus, the girls have enjoyed looking back on the work they've done), so I'll be using something different this year. I bought "The Ultimate Homeschool Planner" by Debra Bell. Apparently her writing style works for me, because one of her books was the first one I ever read as a new homeschooler and I still have it, well marked up, and have referred to it off and on through the years. :) Even within the planner I just bought, she gives you a lot of teaching tips and encouragement, instructions on how to plan your year, etc. There's a LOT to it, and room to write in lesson plans for up to six children. I like the layout of it better than "The Well Planned Day", too.

But I'll still keep a copy of the weekly grids in my youngest dd's portfolio as a permanent record, just because it's so easy to do it that way. :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 am

Different ideas...(I'm an idea person, so I like to give options..lol)

1. Write less into your planner. And initial and a lesson number is fine for record keeping. Example Jane does a lesson a day from the Singapore daily lesson plans, write J-1 then there is plenty of room per square.

2. Make 2 copies of the grid and print them back to back and have them bound to make a planner.

3. Make a copy of the bride and a spread sheet for a second page to have two smaller,grids for scheduling individual subjects.

4. Purchase a Hs planner, copy the grid and cut and paste the scheduled MFW blocks into the subject boxes, in that planner, use the other spaces to plan like usual.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Mom2theteam

Writing lesson plans??

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 am

hsmom5 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:40 pm
Hello!! And Happy Holidays to everyone!!

This year I decided to use a lesson plan to write everything in and any extra activities we do for G.C A-Z and Adventures (2nd grd) just so Im not writing so much in the actual manual but I'm wondering if this is really necessary??? it's not required by my state.. But I was just trying to keep it as a light form of record keeping..

Does anyone else do this? Or am I just simply creating more work for myself ??!! Lol.. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!

-M
I tried my own plan I wrote in. I tried copying the grid and marking on that. I don't need records for our state. All of it eventually seemed like too much extra, unnecessary paper and work for me.

So, now, I use those skinny pointed post it notes to indicate where I am on the grid. I put one on each row (not every row just the pre-filled MFW specific) and move it along through the week as we move to the next day. This way, if we do our history, but miss our science, I can quickly see which day we are on in each subject. When I am finished with each week I move the arrows to the next week. Then I get a regular sized sticky note and write "Done" on it with the date and stick it in the middle of the grid page for that week. I also note anything we skipped for future reference. (I leave that specific arrow on the previous page if I don't finish something I still plan to do and move it when we do it, THEN, I put my big sticky note on.) I don't record what math we did or LA anymore because all my curriculum is just "do the next thing." So, I put a sticky on the page we are on as a bookmark and I just do the next lesson each day. I do date their written work so that is a record right there. I try to remember to date all work in workbooks as well as any loose papers. I'm training them to do the same.

For me, this is so much more simple than copying or writing it down anywhere. I have no extra papers and no extra work yet I know exactly where we are and what we did. Hopefully, it makes sense. I'm not sure how to post photos on this board or I would. I've done that on FB for people. Also, I like to note, that this idea is not original to me. I saw someone else post it with photos and I loved it. Good luck finding a great plan that works for your family and needs.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along