Schedule - Starting RTR week 1 mid year?

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
4Truth

Schedule - Starting RTR week 1 mid year?

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:06 am

We started RTR mid-year last year. The only two problems we've run into with doing that were (a) spring and summer vacations really set us back in the schedule, and (b) now I'm trying to figure out how to fit in everything before my oldest starts high school!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

TrustingHim

Re: Is it too late to switch to MFW?

Unread post by TrustingHim » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Funny, I posted that and saw my signature line that says I intend to use RTR in 2013/2014 &) %| 8[]
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm

TrustingHim wrote:I know, I know, it's never too late, but I am stressed none the less. My DH lost his job in January, we moved across the country in April, lived in a hotel for 3 weeks, and now, I'm working a part time job to help us get back on our feet while homeschooling. Because of all this, I jumped ship and used a different curriculum because it seemed similar to MFW, but it had a package for my 8th grader to use so I thought I was combining my girls. Unfortunately, we are 6 weeks into school and have barely completed one week of the curriculum. The reading is cumbersome, the activities require a lot of time and outside materials, and the notebooking pages require my help which is really frustrating because that means we cannot do any history on the days I work. I didn't realize until I started reading it and planning our weeks out that it was purely a history curriculum and had no LA involved. Not even writing assignments or copy work so I could use it as a literature credit. :~ My youngest has had no science at all because it's also separate, so we're both looking at MFW RTR and saying, "What were we thinking?!?!" The two best years we had were the two years I used MFW. So here we are.

WHEW! Now that all that is off my chest, now I have to decide if it's doable. We would be in RTR, and I probably would wait until November 1st to place my order. Then, should I start at the beginning, or jump ahead to week 10? We were in the early church in the other curriculum, and, truthfully, did not study Rome. If I start at week 10, we'll complete the curriculum by July 1st, but if I don't, we won't. Would i just skip the body and add science in when we get to Astronomy? I wouldn't mind doing that, it would save me some money. ;)

Thanks so much for listening and for your suggestions! I appreciate it so much!
Blessings!
Dorinda
I did something similar last year. Restarted mid year and it all worked out!

Week 10 would be an OK starting point. During week 10 there is a new read aloud, new books for history, and a new composer. Augustus Caesar's World is finished in Week 9. Your 8th grader could read through Augustus Caesar's World and get an overview of that time period. ACW was one of my older daughter's favorite history books.

Astronomy isn't scheduled until week 21. During the first 9 weeks, the senses have been covered. During week 10, the body systems start to be covered. Human Anatomy has become my kids' favorite part of the day.

Hope this helps you plan!
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

I love that Wendy gave you some specifics about starting RTR late.

I also wanted to mention that we had family crises during RTR and it ran through the first semester of the following year. After that, we just started each MFW year at the end of January up until high school started. It worked fine. We usually started math & language arts in September, but even that could have started in January. I can't say my son had a clue most of the time, we just did the next part of history, the next science topic, etc.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I thought you had done that Julie, but I couldn't remember. That's encouraging, thanks. :) You're always such an encouragement.
Blessings!
Dorinda
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 pm

mothermayi wrote:Hi! I'm so sorry you are going through a hard time. Prayers going up for you and your family.
Bless you!
Thanks so much! We appreciate the prayers. After 14 years in one place (both our girls were born there), it was a very hard move for everyone. The Lord has truly blessed us and we're so thankful He moved us, but there's still grief.

Blessings,
Dorinda