Book Subs - Suggestions if we've recently read an RTR book

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
ChristyH

Book Subs - Suggestions if we've recently read an RTR book

Unread post by ChristyH » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Book Subs - Recently read Bronze Bow
WindriderMom wrote:We read "Bronze Bow" at the end of the year last year. Any suggestions for a substitute? I assume it needs to be during the same time period we are studying - about 80-20 B.C.
Thanks!
The Vinegar Boy by Alberta Hawse. I haven't read it yet but it is also about a boy who encounters Christ.
Married Scott, 1992
Erin, 13
Connor, 10
Gavin, 10
ECC 2007-2008
CTG 2008-2009
RTR 2009-2010
1850 to modern times 2011

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Vinegar Boy is a good one.

If you like Henty books you could read The Young Carthagenian, it's about the Punic Wars from week 1.

My dd is reading Jason's Miracle, it's a Hanukkah story that goes with week 3.

You could also look for a book on Cleopatra to read aloud for a while.

Another option (since you didn't use MFW last year), is to switch gears from history and read a Patricia St. John book. MFW schedules 3 of her books as read alouds during the CTG year. They are wonderful stories!

Hope you find something suitable :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:20 am

Heather (WI) wrote:We just started "The Bronze Bow" for RtR, and dd is 10yo and thinks it's boring. I think it looks like it has potential to be a wonderful story, and I know it is somewhat of a classic, so I don't really want to miss it.

Anyway, do you think it was a great book, and worthwhile to keep going with it?? Thanks for any input.
When we did RTR, my at the time 10 y.o daughter LIKED Bronze Bow. I was glad we read it. your mileage will vary.

-crystal

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:39 am

Heather,

I thought that this book began a bit slow but by the end we were all very involved in the characters and really liked the book. It does a good job of showing the picture and thoughts of those during this time period. I think it is definitely worth finishing.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Heather (WI)

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks Lucy (and all),

We are up to chapter 7 today, and it is really good. Thank you!!

DD especially perked up once Jesus "entered the story". :o)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

Littlelight

Re: Dangerous Journey vs Pilgrim's Progress

Unread post by Littlelight » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:52 pm

kstedl wrote:We read Dangerous Journey last year, and I don't want to read it again. I am considering The Pilgrim's Progress, which I own, as a replacement. My kids will be in 4th and 6th grade. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them! Thanks!
Kris :-)
We started to read the original, but it was just too difficult for my kids ( ages 8 & 10.)

Have you looked at "Little Pilgrim's Progress" by Helen Taylor?
My kids LOVED this version of Pilgrims Progress, as the majority of characters in it are children themselves, and it is written at at level that young kids can really understand.

Also - I know that Abeka also has a version of Pilgrim's Progress as one of their readers.
It is 'abridged' - but it does a fairly good re-telling of the main parts of the story.
Michelle
New to MFW-ECC in 2008
http://homeschoolblogger.com/foxvalleyfamily/

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:25 am

We also substituted The Little Pilgrims Progress in place of The Dangerous Journey. I had a 7th grader and a 4th grader that year. We all enjoyed it a lot :)
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:26 am

MFW uses Pilgrim's Progress in high school year 2.

If you already read Dangerous Journey and the KIDS do not want to hear it again, you can select another book that doesn't even have to be the same thing. If you think your kids wouldn't mind hearing it again and you just don't want to read out loud -- one option is to go onto Answers in Genesis website, to the kids video section
http://www.answersingenesis.org/kids/videos
scroll down a bit and let it read/video for you. each part is a chapter.

-crystal

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:04 am

cbollin wrote: If you already read Dangerous Journey and the KIDS do not want to hear it again,
Hearing Crystal say this, I'm wondering if your kids wouldn't actually mind hearing it again? Only wondering because I can't imagine my kids not wanting to hear it again! I think they'd listen to any version of Pilgrim's Progress any time! Especially since it'll be in context of history this time around.

If your concern is that you don't want to read it aloud again (which I can understand), you could have them take turns reading it aloud, or just let them read it independently.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Little Pilgrim's Progress has been well liked around here.
We read Pilgrim's Progress at the High School Level.
All the choices are great and have been or will be read many times around here!
You really can't go wrong. You definitely might want to choose something different than Dangerous Journey just for your own sanity ;) when reading aloud. I find that when I haven't read a book aloud in a while, I read it with a much fresher tone.

kstedl

Unread post by kstedl » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I was considering the Little Pilgrim's Progress too - and based on your suggestions, I think I will go with that - especially since the regular Pilgrim's Progress is covered in high school. There are just too many awesome books out there to read through one twice that close in years! LOL! Thanks again!
Loving RTR w/ 4th & 6th grade DD's

DS4home

Substitute for Door in the Wall? (RtR)

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:40 pm

hollybygolly wrote:Hi everyone~

We getting ready to read The Door in the Wall soon, but we've enjoyed this title already. Can anyone share a book idea from roughly the same time period as a substitute? Thanks in advance! ~Holly :-)
Have you read Otto of the Silver Hand or Jackaroo?
hollybygolly wrote:No we haven't! I'll have to go see if I can find those...thanks for the suggestions... :) Same time period, roughly?
Yes, they are in the same general time period.

The summary on the back cover of Otto of the Silver Hand says it is a "tale of the motherless son of a valiant robber baron of Medieval Germany". "Young Otto is raised in a monastery only to return to his family's domain..." I don't want to give too much away, but it is a good book. :)
It has 170 pages.

Jackaroo is a longer book with 358 pages. The story is full of kings and lords and stewards, although it doesn't say exactly where this kingdom is.

Dawn

hollybygolly

Re: Substitute for Door in the Wall? (RtR)

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 am

Wonderful~thanks so much! :)
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:22 am

Let's see, Door in the Wall is Middle Ages, with a Monastery experience.

One extra we enjoyed was The Apprentice by Llorente, which is set slightly later, more of a Renaissance experience. It tied in to art that year. It's a similar (short) length to Door in the Wall.

My ds read A Single Shard, which is in early Korea around the 1100s, so it could be somewhat the same time but a far different place. Ds is not a reader and yet still remembers this one fondly.

I also always suggest Kingdom Tales at this time if you haven't read it already. To me, it has a Jesus theme that goes with RTR.

The MFW Enrichment page has one of those Jim Weiss audio stories that fits with RTR, Galileo & the Stargazers.

Not sure how adventurous your girls are, but Rosemary Sutcliff's books are usually good. She writes historical novels, mostly centered in the are of Britain where she is from. They are longer than Door in the Wall; I think of her as an easier-to-read-Henty. Hopefully you could preview at your library if these aren't on the RTR book basket list (I know at least a few Sutcliff books were recommended over the years, but not all). Let's see, copy-pasting from a chronological list of her works, here are some you might check into if you like her (maybe your family read Black Ships Before Troy last year?). The last one is set later but caught my attention because there are strolling musicians.
Sword Song "c. tenth century? Vikings pillage and colonize Scottish coastlines,"
Blood Feud "Tenth century. An Englishman enslaved by Vikings ends up in Russia and Constantinople,"
The Shield Ring "Eleventh century. Vikings and Saxons resist Normans in northwest England,"
Knight's Fee "England under Norman occupation,"
Robin Hood "Twelfth century, during the reign of Richard the Lionhearted,"
The Witch's Brat "Twelfth century. Accusations of witchcraft in medieval England,"
The Queen Elizabeth story "Sixteenth century, England,"
Lady in Waiting: A novel "Sixteenth century. The story focuses on Bess Throckmorton, wife of Sir Walter Raleigh, who was an explorer and courtier during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I of England,"
Brother Dusty Feet "Sixteenth century, England"
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:55 am

There are several others listed in week 20's book list under Medieval--Historical Fiction. The only one mentioned I think in the posts above is Otto of the Silver Hand. There is one Newberry (an honor given to books each year that are considered the best in children's literature), Adam of the Road. You can read the descriptions of these books in the book list.

Hope you find something you all enjoy!

hollybygolly

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Completely slipped my mind to check the booklist in the back! !! I'll do that~and I'll look into those other suggestions too. Thanks again!
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation