* CTG Experiences

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Shae

* CTG Experiences

Unread post by Shae » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:40 pm

We will begin Week 10 of CTG. This is our second year with MFW. Our little kindergarten boy is just beginning the lesson on Turtles. I am very thankful for this curriculum. It is getting me into my Bible everyday. Our little son Joshua is 3 and today on a field trip, he went into the haybarn, looked at the giant haybales stacked high and said, "This looks like a pyramid!" It was pretty great! Enjoy the weeks to come everyone!

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:15 am

We are going into week 9 of CtG. It is going well. I was concerned at the beginning of the year with my 8 yr old ds, how he was going to do with this. He probably would have been better off in Adventures, but, we had our plan for education in our home already laid out and bought ECC before adventures came out--which we completed last year.

Anyway, it's been enriching and fun. My ds, 8, is retaining the roots, is okay with the God in the History of Art and is doing well with the deep bible and egyptian history. My 10 yo dd is doing great and really loves the whole unit (now writing and math--we've been struggling there with her!) We've enjoyed some of the videos recommended, recipes and read alouds.

We have several sessions of speech therapy and occupational therapy so the light Fridays help.

We love this year. The feasts have been great. We have really felt connected as a family doing them. My dh made the timeline and picks up math lessons when he can. All in all, for a full schedule (we are also performing in a Robin Hood play) --it's been good.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:32 pm

We are starting week 9 of CTG on Monday. My ds LOVES it!

He's especially excited that we are starting the story of Joseph this week. Last year he and I performed in a community theater production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." By having done this, he's familiar with the whole story of Joseph. I'm sure we'll be singing the songs alot this week. Maybe we can count that for music class. LOL! Next month, we are performing in "Seussical the Musical." Do you think that counts as ancient history? LOL!! ;-)
Kim ~ Wife of Mike; Mother of Matthew (21) and Tyler (12) Currently using RTR <><

erin.kate

Possibly changing to MFW for 2014-15

Unread post by erin.kate » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:14 pm

hsmom24 wrote:I am the mom of 4 children, 3 of whom are school age. I really need some help here in choosing which way to go. We have been studying American History, but for the next school year we really want to study Ancient History. I am really leaning towards MFW CTG for this. I like what I have seen on the sample pages and I think the connection to the Bible is better than how I feel HOD does it.

I would really like to know from those of you who use CTG, how did you like it? Did you feel like it was challenging and fun? I will have an 11 yr old, 9 yr old, and 7 yr old that I will be using it with. Do you enjoy the science, or throw in some of your own? I have used Sonlight in the past, before HOD. I know MFW is built to use for multiple children.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Kristi
Hi Kristi,

I can't comment much on CTG as we are starting that in January, but I can comment on MFW (and hopefully someone else might chime in, too). I have a 10yo, 8yo, 7yo, and 5yo. We will be using CTG for my 10 and 7 year olds and LGS with my 8 year old (he's from Ethiopia and severely emotionally and cognitively delayed). I've used MFW Kindergarten, First Grade, and Adventures with my kids. I once tried (for about 3 weeks) HOD Beyond I think it was and quickly returned it since it did not pull my kids together, and I want learning to be a family experience.

Since you will be adding your own math and language arts at each child's level, but bringing them all together for history and science and art and crafts/activities and music etc, I cannot imagine it not being amazing. The science in CTG is changing in January to Science in the Beginning by Jay Wile. It looks exceptional and I think you will find that to be plenty but you can always read beautiful living books to round out the concepts, as well. I have always found that MFW works best when I let it be what it is and what it was intended to be ... when I begin tweaking it here or there, or adding or subbing, it loses its heart and I think that is the hallmark of MFW. I also think you will find the Bible and the missions heart to be incredible and challenging and provoking for you and your children.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

MelissaB

Re: Possibly changing to MFW for 2014-15

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi, Kristi,
We used CTG two years ago. Yes, we did like it. And it is both challenging and fun.

CTG intertwines the Biblical record and history books as it teaches about Ancient Egypt, the Babylonians and Medeo-Persian empires. The study on Greek civilization, Alexander the Great, etc. is rich and indepth.

CTG's science has a number of hands-on activities (very easy, using items you already have at home mostly). When I first saw the science, I thought it looked too simple. But our girls learned a tremendous amount in science that year.

Have you come across the CTG-Share Your Experience forum? If you want to see some other Moms' experiences w/ CTG, here's a link:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=221

Enjoy! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

hsmom24

Re: Possibly changing to MFW for 2014-15

Unread post by hsmom24 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Erin and Melissa,

Thank you both for your responses and it has been reassuring to hear the positives about CTG. I am very happy to hear about the science, and I am definitely hoping that it will help with not feeling like I have to have the boxes checked, but rather we can just enjoy being together. We have a lot of fun now when we do things together. Just the sample that I downloaded looked exciting to me, and the fact that I can do without 'tweaking' would be great. I have an almost 3 yr old, so right now there is no time for tweaking, I really do want to be able to open and go with it. I am super excited about all of the hands-on that accompanies the different subjects, and I feel like there are a lot more hands-on activities with the Bible. Something we all will love! I will check out the other forums for comments as well, but I do feel this is the direction that God is leading me to, and I must say, I have a lot of excitement for the next school year! Thank you again for your advice and support!

Blessings,
Kristi

Poohbee

CTG was really special

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 pm

I have loved each year of MFW, but I have to say...CTG was really special because of the celebration of the Biblical feasts! Those were some of the best parts of that year...so memorable and so special!

When we did CTG, we were doing 1st, as well! I love how well those two years go together. The timing doesn't always work out for the topics, but at least you are studying the same topics, so your 1st grader and older kids are both getting great background in the Old Testament.

Enjoy!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

CTG Box Day happiness!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:19 pm

We just got our CTG box yesterday! We'll be using it for fourth grade with our only child who has used MFW since Kindergarten. My husband, daughter and I gathered round and slowly opened it, with exclamations of interest and delight as we pulled forth each item.

In the CTG set were books which appealed to each of us particularly. My husband grabbed up The Ancient World and looked through that for a long time, then perused Science in the Beginning. I was excited about Celebrating Biblical Feasts and English From the Roots Up. Gail was drawn to the science text but was a little intimidated by it, and she really enjoyed looking through Aesop's Fables. There were so many interesting things to explore that we all just sat for well over an hour, reading to ourselves and then exclaiming and sharing interesting tidbits.

I didn't allow myself to linger over the teacher's manual, however. I made myself box everything back up and set it aside after our initial glut. We have to finish ECC!

What fun to get new materials!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Poohbee

Re: CTG Box Day happiness!

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:41 pm

Happy dancing with you, Shawna! Ooh, Box Day is so much fun! We loved celebrating the Biblical feasts during CTG! It's hard not to delve into that new TM, isn't it? Just enjoy the rest of ECC! :-)
Jen

MuzzaBunny

Re: CTG Box Day happiness!

Unread post by MuzzaBunny » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 am

We got ours too!! It loos like an awesome year! We're in week 30 of ECC so I've boxed it all up and tucked it under an end table in the family room. :) I'll get it all out for a good pouring over when we finish ECC! Squee!
Bunny

4monkeyz

Yay!

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri May 29, 2015 8:03 am

MFW-Marie wrote:It's almost summer! Let’s encourage each other and have some fun!
Marie
Just wanted to shout out how much we love MFW and have come to the end of another great school year!! We finished Creation to the Greeks this last week and it was amazing. What a delight to walk through the OT with my kids, to see Bible history come alive and learn about all the nations in that early part of our world's history.

I also had one daughter finish 1st grade and another finish Kindergarten, then jump into first - what a blessing to have solid phonics lessons! Both my girls are reading so well and it was painless....way different than when I taught my first! (with a different curriculum) I love the TM, having everything set up for me and ready to go is wonderful. Love MFW!! Can't wait to continue the journey this fall. :-)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

erin.kate

Re: Yay!

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Congrats! We are just a few weeks behind you and it has been such a blessed year.

Enjoy your well deserved summer.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

ACarlson

First Day Success!

Unread post by ACarlson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:22 pm

We are new to My Father's World. I was worried when I looked at the Schedule in the teacher's manual for CTG. It just looked so overwhelming! This is our 4th year homeschooling and last year was a disappointing year.
I have been encouraged the last few weeks to just have faith that I can trust God with our homeschool. So this morning I woke up not sure what to expect. It was wonderful. My boys did so well and I felt very calm the whole day! Yay! God is faithful.
I wanted to post to encourage any other moms that may have been feeling like me, ready to give up and so overwhelmed. God replaced my fear with peace.

Poohbee

Re: First Day Success!

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:52 pm

I loved reading your post! So uplifting! So glad you had a wonderful first day!

I remember feeling overwhelmed when we started CTG, too. I was concerned about the Biblical feasts. They just seemed like too much for me to tackle. But, we gave it a go, and my, what a blessing those feasts were! We tweaked them a bit to fit our family (we often ate lasagna for a special meal, because that is something my whole family loves), but my kids thought it was pretty special to have a table cloth and candles on the table and use my special dishes. My husband even got into it and actually built us a sukkah, which we still have up in our backyard 3 years after doing CTG! :-) The feasts really helped us to learn about and appreciate the celebrations mentioned so often in the Bible. So, just take it one day at a time. Be sure to do the feasts! And just enjoy this year of learning ancient history together!
Jen

Yodergoat

Started CTG with 4th grader!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello all! After putting it off for as long as I could, we began school on Saturday. It worked out well for us because I wanted to do our "Sabbath meal" on the evening of the first day, and we used Sunday as our Sabbath rest day.

School went beautifully. My husband bathed us both in prayer and encouragement before he left for work. I love the resources (we're using all the recommended resources for each subject) and there was a smooth flow to our day.

We ended our school day by making challah bread for our meal. It was enjoyable to make the bread together and pray for each family member as we kneaded it. Also, I took it as a chance to point out to Gail that the braided bread makes me think of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit... three separate entities but they are one. I know there's no perfect illustration to show the Trinity but it was a nice conversation!

The Sabbath meal was really delightful! I tried to follow it fairly closely as written in the guide, but we used our own prayers and had discussion as we went along. Ironically, we ate ham steak for the meal... I guess it was just a sign that we are no longer under the law! The ceremony was rich with meaning and I'm glad we did it!

I made crockpot beef stew for our "Sabbath" noon meal and we just ate leftovers for supper before going out to look for the first three stars... all of which were found by Gail with her much sharper eyes!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

4monkeyz

Re: Started CTG with 4th grader!

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:06 am

I'm so glad you had a great first day! CtG was a lot fun, my kiddos are looking forward to RtR this year. :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!