Magazines - God's World News, More

My Father's World uses a Book Basket method to develop a love of learning and enrich all subjects; Independent Reading Time has different goals and methods but there is overlap in book lists and helpful hints
tiffany

Magazines - God's World News, More

Unread post by tiffany » Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am

annaz wrote:God's World News Magazines..... Does anyone receive Early Edition or Taking Off? I'm wondering the content and if the age levels are on target.
We've used God's World News for years. I think the age guidelines are pretty accurate. My kids read it once a week during their reading time. I'm looking forward to seeing the magazine format. Overall, we've been really happy with it.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

jasntas

magazine subscription

Unread post by jasntas » Thu May 20, 2010 9:52 pm

karlafoisy wrote:I am close to the end of the K year. (LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I couldn't have told more people about how great it is. Loved it.)

Anyway, I would like to keep in the habit of reading this summer. Can any of you suggest a magazine subscription that would be good for 6 year olds? I'm thinking they would love getting their very own subscription in the mail, and it'd be great for them to have new stories to "read" every month. Thanks for any suggestions,
Karla
We have tried lots of different magazines. For this age our favorite has been Early Edition [now called God's Big World] published by God's World News. You can purchase it through a link here on the MFW website. Here's the link:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/WORLD/

My dc also really enjoy the 8 page fold out called 'Kids Answers' that comes in the 'Answers In Genesis' magazine for adults. I think you can purchase the back issues of just the 'Kids Answers' section through their web site.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/

I wish there was a Christian alternative to ZooBooks. My dc love that magazine but it just has too much evolutionary stuff in it for me to feel comfortable with.

I really like Nature Friend but it was too much reading for my ds who struggles with reading and it's too difficult a read for a K'er. Mom gets to do all the reading in that one. :~ ;)

erikdeb

Re: magazine subscription

Unread post by erikdeb » Fri May 21, 2010 7:37 am

We like the Early Edition of God's World News, too [now called God's Big World].

We also like Your Big Backyard - the young kid's version of Ranger Rick. Ranger Rick we don't like - too much evolution/movies/Halloween/save the earth/etc. But we've been getting Your Big Backyard for several years and haven't found anything problematic in it, and we've read several (dh and I)....but not all of them. Occasionally I do throw away an October edition after it is read once because I don't need the Halloween craft ideas sitting around, but that is not the case every year.

Deb

hsmom3

Unread post by hsmom3 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:49 am

Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr. magazine would probably be a good one for that age. It has good stories and lot of other interesting things to read & do.

Blessings,
Susan

DaddyOfTwo

Unread post by DaddyOfTwo » Fri May 21, 2010 12:17 pm

We subscribe to High Five, which is by the makers of Highlights and designed for younger kids. Both of our daughteres (3 and 5 1/2) like this magazine.
Casey (principal) married to Michele (teacher)
DD-6 in ADV
DD-4 joining in from time to time
San Antonio, TX

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Fri May 21, 2010 12:44 pm

I love Big Backyard for that age. We have gotten it for years. It is put out by the National Wildlife Federation. The photographs are beautiful, and I've never noticed any evolutionary content. It is full color with LOTS of pictures. There is always a Little Book in the middle you can cut out and staple together, usually at least one craft idea, a couple of puzzle/quiz type pages, and a recipe that goes along with the animals in that particular issue. My kids really like the monthly animal song, and they ooh and ahh over the baby animal photos. The songs are song to tunes from common children's songs. It's about 30 pgs. and comes out monthly. We bought the 1st year ourselves, and Grandma has been giving it as a gift sub. since.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Poohbee

God's World News

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:21 pm

annaz wrote:My dd is very, very 4th grade. (not particularly academic, however smart. :-) ) Which level would be truly suited for her? I saw the samples, but appears to between the two levels. Should I go "easy" then?

Does this make a nice addition to ECC? Thanks!
Just a suggestion for you.

If you want your dd to do it independently, I'd go for the easier level (2nd-3rd). If you plan to do some of the reading with her, I'd go for her own grade level (4th-5th). We've used God's World News since Kindergarten. We love it! We just moved up to the 4th-5th grade level this year. There is quite a bit more reading in that one. I always do current events with my 4th grade dd, and I read it aloud to her. But, if I wanted her to do it on her own, I would probably go with the easier one. But, that's just my dd. Reading is not her favorite thing to do.

[Samples are available at: http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/WORLD/.]

Julie in MN

Re: God's World News

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:08 am

Like Jen, I liked using the grade-level magazines and enjoyed discussing the current events together with my son. I just desired to help him think through these types of things. So I'd choose the younger grade if she's doing it on her own, not just because of reading level but because of content.

Although, I found by 8th grade, even *I* felt he was mature enough to read current events on his own :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

God's World News & VOM Magazines

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 09, 2011 12:15 pm

beaglemamma2008 wrote:I just ordered subscriptions to God's World News and Voice of the Martyrs after talking to some of the moms at our co-op who love these magazines so much. So for those of you who subscribe to one or both of these, I'm curious to know how you use them in your home. Do you read them together at the breakfast table, toss them in the book basket, use them for dc's reading time?? I'm open to ANY suggestions!!! :)
We did them together in elementary. I just felt that GWN had too much of the unavoidable controversy connected to current events in our society for my ds not to hear from his parent(s) and to hear what/why some folks thought about things differently (even within his loved ones). So we'd read them on light Fridays or something, doing them together. But I think it depends on the world that your particular dc lives in.

I found that by 7-8th grade, my ds had already heard a lot from both sides of current events & he very much enjoyed GWN on his own. It was great to have that scheduled in ECC for the upper grades.

VOM we only used during ECC as we studied different countries. But I wish we'd used it more. I am thinking we will some time during high school.

I have a little story about VOM.
This winter, when my little niece & nephew were visiting, I grabbed an empty large envelope to put some of her things in. I didn't look at it, but it happened to be a VOM envelope. My niece (age 10) cowered away from it and wouldn't take it. When her mom asked why, she said it had a monster on it. When I looked at the other side of the envelope, I saw it was a photo of a suffering woman in poverty. My niece is sweet and I love her and she loves God. But the lesson I learned was how blessed we are to spend time talking and reading and praying about folks around the world who are different from ourselves, so my child doesn't even bat an eye at a VOM envelope :)
beaglemamma2008 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Julie. Sounds like reading it together would probably be the best idea. When you say "controversy," do you mean like the way the world would view something versus the way a believer would view it, or do you mean controversial even in the Christian community? I've never had my hands on a copy, so I don't know exactly what it's like. (I got the Pre-K/K level and the 3rd-4th level.)
Jennifer, You could give it a try and maybe you'll find your family doesn't need to read it together. Not every family does. It's just that any current events will include some things about politics and taxes and maybe environment or medicine, and these might be things you want your children to be sensitive or discrete about in mixed company, or otherwise want to share your own views and that of other loved ones. Even Christians certainly don't agree on everything.

Not all the stories are heavy at all. Some are funny and some are just interesting facts.
beaglemamma2008 wrote:I would guess that the reaction of your neice is most likely the typical reaction. Sadly, I wonder if it would even have been my reaction. &) I know our family needs to makes sharing the Gospel more of a priority, and I'm hoping this magazine plus doing ECC next year will provide lots of transforming of the mind for that to take place. I have a little bit of fear that it will make being a missionary or even just a believer sound so scary that they'll be afraid to serve the Lord. Any thoughts there??
I would not worry at all about ECC making missions seem scary. I might worry on the other side -- you'll come out of ECC with a few miniature missionaries on your hands! ECC makes missionaries seem like heroes, and makes being a believer totally make sense. Your family will be blessed,
beaglemamma2008 wrote:Sorry ... I wasn't very clear on that last question. I didn't mean whether ECC would cause that fear. ECC looks amazing!! (In fact, the only good thing about finishing Adventures is that it means we get to dive into ECC next year! :-) )

What I meant was specifically with VOM, do you think it makes it sound scary to be a Christian from a child's perspective if they're hearing stories about people who are being tortured and killed because of their faith, or are the stories not presented in that light?
The children's version (Kids of Courage) has a focus on the needs of children around the world, rather than on the missionaries per se. So like ECC, it gives your kids a heart for their kids. I'd start with that portion, and then decide when your oldest is ready for the grown-up VOM.

But even the grown-up VOM is more about the native peoples who are being persecuted (many times for nothing more than trying to follow Christ), than it is about missionaries who went there to help and are suffering. So again it develops a heart of concern and a desire to do.

Julie
beaglemamma2008 wrote:Perfect. Thanks, Julie. :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cherona

God's World News Magazine?

Unread post by cherona » Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 pm

carlamom2ansnm wrote:Is it worth it? Do the children enjoy it? We don't watch/read any news here, due to the depressing nature of it. I catch all my news online, but I do feel like the kids are missing out on the reality of what's going on in the world. Just curious to hear from those who have used it and what you thought of it :)
We get the three youngest editions and my girls really do enjoy them. I do too! They are very interesting, have great pictures, and are age appropriate. Like Crystal said too, my girls love getting things in the mail! :)

Cheri
Wife to my hardworking husband, Seth, and Mom to...
Emma (12) CTG
Megan (10) CTG
Katie (8) CTG
Elsie (5) MFW K
Violet (2 1/2) MFW Toddler/Preschool

Mallorie

Re: God's World News Magazine?

Unread post by Mallorie » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 am

My kids all loved this magazine, too, and so did I (who usually avoids the news, too!). We've renewed and are getting it again.

ivparker

Unread post by ivparker » Wed May 30, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm not sure what the ages of your children are but my kids were interested in the stories but weren't able to read it well on their own until the end of 2nd grade. We missed using a lot of it this year because of that and will probably read through them next year. I think 3rd grade seems like a good fit.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 pm

I remember doing Weekly Reader in school when I was a kid, and I always enjoyed Weekly Reader. Then, when I taught 5th grade in the public school, I used Time for Kids for my class. When I started homeschooling my kids, I thought that if I wanted a current event magazine for them, I would have to choose between Weekly Reader, Time for Kids, or Scholastic News.

Then, I discovered God's World News! I LOVE that God's World News is a current event magazine that presents a Biblical worldview. My kids and I can keep up with current events, but from a Christian perspective. I love GWN! I think that it is very well-written with great photos and interesting topics. There are timely and important current event topics, but there are also fun news items. We use them as a read-aloud once a week at our house. My oldest could certainly read it on her own, but I don't want to give up using it as a read-aloud because I learn things as I read them with my kids that I might not have know about otherwise. For example, in this months GWN, I learned that Canada is going to stop making pennies. There will no longer be pennies in Canada anymore. Interesting, huh? :-) I am thankful for a God-honoring current event magazine for my kids!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 pm

My dd (age 10yo now) has always enjoyed her magazines. She rereads them a few times, shares them with Papa, etc. I believe that she learns a lot from it.
Poohbee wrote:For example, in this months GWN, I learned that Canada is going to stop making pennies. There will no longer be pennies in Canada anymore. Interesting, huh? :-)
my coin-collector daughter has shared that story with almost everyone in her sphere of influence . . . grocery store clerks, you name it . . .
:-)

She really does get a lot out of her magazine.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

carlamom2ansnm

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 am

Thanks so much for the input! I loved Weekly Reader as well and almost bought Scholastic. Glad I waited! So, my next question is, I will have a 2nd and 5th grader next year. Should I just get the 5th-6th she range and use it as a read aloud or do most get one for each child?

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Thu May 31, 2012 6:04 am

We love it here too and I asked my boys yesterday to make sure they wanted to renew it, they all said "yes." :-)

To answer your last question, I would get them each one. Mine enjoy having their own and my youngest will read his, while he wouldn't be able to read his older brothers'. And.... I don't need anything else to read aloud, so it's nice that he can read his own. :-)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm

We like it and it allows me to check off "Civics" as having been studied for the year!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

Buttercup78

God's World News?

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 pm

carlamom2ansnm wrote:How do you use it in your family? We just got our first issues and I've read through them (5th, 2nd and prek) and really like them! Do you just give it to then to read on their own? Do you read it with them? Do you have the kids compare the info they've learned in their own respective issues? Just curious how they fit into your family :)
I got it last year for my 3rd grader. He is a voracious reader, so I would usually just give it to him to read.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

4monkeyz

Re: God's World News?

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 am

Hi! I got it this year for my son, 8 yo, and I just handed it to him to read. It was a summer issue that came first. I have thought about doing something more with it, but I want him to enjoy the reading, not feel like he is going to be tested or something. He has brought it to me several times to share a neat story. I was putting clean sheets on the bed yesterday when his magazine slipped out from under the pillow and fell behind the bed. :) So he is loving it!!
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

unitlovinmama

Unread post by unitlovinmama » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 pm

We just received our first issues for 1st and 3rd grade. I penciled it in for Fridays on the schedule. Hoping my oldest, who is 9 and a great reader (but still prefers to read easy things) will decide to read it more independently as well.
-Stephanie, HSing for 5 yrs, first year with MFW 2012-1013 (ECC).
Wife of 12 yrs, mama to three crazy but amazing kids (9, 7, and 3)
"May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us..." Psalm 90:17

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi (: Loved GWN when we used it previously and plan to do so again this year.
I give it to my sweetlings and let them read it on their own.

They usually begin a discussion or ask a question on their own, and the whole gang joins in.
If I don't hear anything from them within a couple of days of a new issue, I ask what they read about.
That's all it takes to start the conversation (: Have fun!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

wsterk

God's World News Pre-K?

Unread post by wsterk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm

4monkeyz wrote:Hi! Has anyone ordered the God's World News edition for Pre-Kers called "God's Big World"?? I have seen a few sample pages, but I'm still not sure if it is worth ordering for my littles. :~

I highly recommend News Flash! My ds really enjoys news and he found it very interesting. I liked the Bible references too. :) I already have plans to renew the News Flash edition, my ds really enjoyed it and then I would like to get Early Edition for my dd (there is a special going till end of April). I find GWN quite lovely and it will work nicely I think with ECC. I guess I'm not sure if my littles will feel left out, although Grandma did get them Highlights High Five so they do get some mail. And my mom (grandma) has offered to purchase one of the GWN subscriptions which I thought was so cool! My mom's mother did the same thing when I was a kid, we would get Ranger Rick or Highlights. :) Thoughts??? It is always fun to get mail.
I did get GWN for my Pre and K. We enjoy reading it together. Great pictures and simple little news stories. after reading some of the stories, I will find them "reading" and looking through it by themselves. We liked it.

TriciaMR

National Geographic

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:52 am

terrylee66 wrote:I was thinking on subscribing to National Geographic. We will be starting ECC in August, and I thought this would be a wonderful resource for my 11 year old boy. My questions, should I get the "kids" version of National Geographic or go with the regular one. My concern is that there might be "questionable" content in the regular one? Any thoughts?

Terry M CT
We got the Kids National Geographic as a gift... and it was mostly advertising for current movies.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Bandy

Re: National Geographic, God's World

Unread post by Bandy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am

Hello,

We get the Kids version of Nat Geo and my kids really enjoy it. It's secular, obviously, but there hasn't been any questionable content so far.
The issues are heavily animal-based, but also include articles about different areas of interest found around the world.
I would describe the magazine as fun, quirky, colorful, interesting and educational.

I like the idea of getting the original Nat Geo, but think there would probably be some heavy topics and intense photos in it. I would think it would be a better fit for an older kid.
I wonder, could you go to a bookstore and see if you can look at the magazines and compare them?

On another note, I was looking at samples of God's World magazine and it looks like it would be a super go-along with ECC.
I was looking at a sample of the level geared for 5th-6th grade, and the samples look awesome.

Kelly1730

Re: God's World, free National Geographic

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 pm

God's World magazine gets my vote; no worrying about questionable content ;)

When we did ECC several years ago, I found a pile of free National Geographic's from our local "freecycle". All I had to do was pick them up and then I went through them cutting out articles and pictures that tied in with our studies. Since they were free, I didn't worry about cutting them up and therefore didn't have to be concerned about topics/pictures I didn't want my children to see.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17