Updates - 1850MOD

Julie - Staff

Updates - 1850MOD

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Upgrade information summarized from Message Board conversations over the years:

1. Teacher's Manual: Exploration to 1850 never had an appendix, so no 2nd edition has been issued. In 2013, Teacher's Manual covers were changed to reflect the Discover/Investigate/Declare stages. In 2017, lesson #s for Language Lessons For Today added.

2. Student Sheets: Exploration to 1850 never had an appendix, so there have always been Student Sheets, but the content was developed over time. Originally, families already had all 50 State Sheets (with bird/flower cards) and the flag sticker set which came with Exploration to 1850, but the states covered after 1850 were later moved to the 1850MOD State Sheet set (2010). Also originally, there was a separate set of Student Sheets for the 2nd-3rd Grade Supplement, without the Story of the World Activity Book pages. However, the SOTW pages were taken out of the Student Sheets, so all grades can now use the same set.

3. Exploring American History: 2nd edition was scheduled in 1850MOD beginning in 2010. Larger format with fewer headings and more pictures; added information at the end, up through President Obama.

4. The World of Science: The publisher of The World of Science allowed My Father's World, with the assistance of Master Books, to change the overall tone of these books to glorify God for His amazing creation.

5. Witnesses to All the World: This went out of print, so MFW obtained permission to include it in the Teacher's Manuals (2013).

6. Children's Encyclopedia: The revised edition includes a few extra pages covering the last 10 years (2015). No significant changes to assigned page numbers.

7. Snap Circuits and Fun With Magnets: These were moved to the Basic Package and/or replaced previous science materials, some of which went out of print (Wired). These can be used in similar ways. (2015/2016)

8. Timeline: Originally, a tablet was provided, and Teacher's Manuals included instructions on creating a timeline. Currently, the timeline has an Investigate cycle themed cover ( http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/15707/Crea ... ern-Times/ ), pre-printed pages with timeline figures from previous years (creation through 1800 or so), and the pages used this year are already labeled with their years.

cbollin

Updates - 1850MOD

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:52 pm

tiffany wrote:I was wanting to get an opinion from parents who have done this unit with a 2nd grader. I will have a 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th grader in the program.

I am questioning whether or not to purchase an extra set of student sheets for my 2nd grader. I didn't get to go to conference to see them in person. I'm just not sure how many of the pages he will actually be able to do at his age. He will just be finishing up 1st grade in the Fall. I hope he'll be done by the end of August, but it could realistically be more like Sept.-Oct. I will certainly have the 2nd grade supplement for him to do.
The 2nd grader will not need the Story of the World sheets.

You will want the MFW student sheets for the 2nd grader. MFW sheets will be for President’s notebooking pages, playing states/capital game and a few other things like that. Very doable for 2nd graders and even my kid when she was in 3rd grade but more like a 2nd grader
The U.S. President flash cards- we got those last year, so I'm assuming I only need them for the child who doesn't already have a set? Same with the placemat map?
Yes. Only for new student. My girls were happy to have one each. There were times we shared one around the table. I liked having one per kid. [placemat]
Again, with the State Cards and stickers, only for the new student?
Right. If you have the full set from EX1850 that you are doing now, then you have all 50 states in your set. If I understood MFW correctly, they will be phasing it in. The student sheets will eventually have just the states for each year. transitions are confusing. :)
The only other thing I'm seeing is the Exploring American History 2nd edition. We already have the 1st edition from the previous unit. I purchased in early Spring last year thinking there would be no changes to Year 4. Oops! So I ended up with the original edition. Do I need the new edition?
hmmm... I remember it changed in early April.

I remember that MFW has a “double schedule” or notes or something to help with the change over with those editions for those going from year 4 to year 5. But I thought the current year 5 manuals assume 2nd edition because people this year in year 4 were using 2nd edition. it's possible then that the year 5 manuals this year take that into account, or you could call MFW and ask them if there is a way to get that transition information. I think they should give that to you given the big picture. But give them a call on that and see what they can could to help.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Re: ? about using 1850-Mod with 2nd grader & other product ?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Dear Tiffany,

Crystal has answered your questions well. I agree that a 2nd grader will use the student sheets.

The lesson plans in 1850 to Modern Times match Exploring American History 2nd edition. If you have the 1st edition of Exploring American History [from last year, then this year] a list is provided to modify the schedule of assigned pages to match your book.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Lucy

Julie in MN

Re: ? about using 1850-Mod with 2nd grader & other product ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:52 pm

tiffany wrote:Does anyone know what kind of changes were made in the 2nd edition of Exp. American History?
We used 1st edition (which matched my teacher manual), and I remember asking Lucy if there was extra info on the current president in the 2nd ed. She basically said there was a little and so I had my son make a page on the current president, using info he already knew and info easily found online.

The EAH readings on specific topics are not all that much, being that it's not a long book and it's used over two years. They just add a nice little Christian narrative and a little different perspective sometimes. I didn't feel a loss without the last few pages in EAH ( :) ).

I did get a new set of flashcards that include the new president so he would have that.

But the office surely knows every change that had to be made, and I'm sure they'll help you through that.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Bret Welshymer

1850- Modern 2nd grade suppl.

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 am

NJCheryl wrote:We are doing 1850 - Modern this year. My question is about the student sheets. I ordered one set for each student, including my 3rd grader. As I look at the TM it says 2nd and 3rd graders have different SS, but on the website there is no option for this. Do they all use the same SS, or do I need to send one set back to swap out for the 2nd grade SS?
The current Student Sheets for 1850 to Modern are the same for all children in grades 2-8.

In an earlier edition of 1850 to Modern Times the Student Sheets for 4th - 8th graders included the Story of the World Vol 4 Activity Book Student Pages. The Student Sheets for 2nd and 3rd graders did not include the SOW Student Pages. Current Student Sheets do not include the SOW Student Pages at all. These SOW Student Pages may be photocopied from the Activity Book or purchased at http://www.peacehillpress.com.

NJCheryl

Re: 1850- Modern 2nd grade suppl.

Unread post by NJCheryl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you Brett, for clearing that up. I do have the SOW activity book. I thought I had missed something, just a glitch with having a bit older TM.Glad I can go ahead with the SS I have for all students.

TriciaMR

Now my questions on 1850Mod

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

annaz wrote::-) I don't understand the sample that shows "States" for the 1st two weeks. What do you do these two weeks?

The sample shows a game with state cards, but I don't see state cards anywhere.

I have the book "Exploring American History" from 200? when I did MFW ADV. It's a brown cover. Is this a different book or can I use the same brown covered book? How much is used of it, because I'm more about saving time and frustration than saving a few bucks. :)

The Children's Encyclopedia I bought in 2006, so Amazon tells me. Is this most recent? The date on my book is 2003, or better yet, what era is the last page of the book?

Are "research" and "narrations" scheduled on the grid?

Do the scheduled read-alouds go every single week all year or is there a break in places of no read-alouds.

Does "Then Sings My Soul" contain a DVD or music or is it just the musical notes and the text?
"States" is the process of memorizing the 50 States. The lesson plans tell you exactly what "states" to work on and describe the game. There are cards in the student sheets to cut up to be part of playing the states games.

The Exploring American History is different - blue cover... I'm pretty sure the page numbers won't line up. Call on that one.

My Children's Encyclopedia is in a tub in the basement right now...

"Research and Narrations" - well they are part of the Story of the World activity sheets. So they're scheduled in that sense. But, you might have to note to yourself if you want to do "oral" narrations. There are outlines and writing from outlines as part of that.

No read aloud the first 3 weeks, week 11, week 16 & 17, week 22, weeks 31-34. I got the audio book from the library for Across 5 Aprils, and I bought the Sgt. York audio book from somewhere, and the STOW audio CD's, so I wasn't doing all the reading.

No DVD with Then Sings My Soul. There are recordings here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9606 and other people find videos on You Tube.
annaz wrote::) Thanks Trish!

Another question. Does SOTW 4 go in order of the book, or are they jumping around?
It seems like there was a little jumping around to make time periods line up in different continents, but not a whole lot. (Sorry, that was last year, and it's a little hazy now.)
annaz wrote:Thanks...LOL...I know the feeling.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

asheslawson

Re: Now my questions on 1850Mod

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I just received my order last week. The DK Smithsonian Children's Encyclopedia of American History does have a 2003 copyright & the last page is #287, The Gettysburg Address (followed by the index :-) )
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am

asheslawson wrote:I just received my order last week. The DK Smithsonian Children's Encyclopedia of American History does have a 2003 copyright & the last page is #287, The Gettysburg Address (followed by the index :-) )
YAY! I have it. Thanks!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 pm

annaz wrote:Are "research" and "narrations" scheduled on the grid?
Just wanted to reinforce what Trish said about the outlines. EX1850 has a different feel from the other years, and the SOTW Activity Book is different from the SOTW Activity Books they make for other years as well (if you've ever looked at it before).

This is a year of answering questions about the readings, learning to do outlines, and then later in the year learning to write from outlines. It's a good opportunity to try something new, and of course if you want to go back to the old methods, that's easy enough :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 am

Hi,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things.

Narration, as in retelling what has just been read together, is recommended after each days history and science readings. So yes, it is scheduled, but it will not say "narration" on the grid since this will be explained at the beginning of the year. After the history reading each day once we talked about what we had read (and some times I would stop half way through the reading) we would complete any assigned pages. I walked my kids through the maps and outlines. We did them together. And thankfully the SOTW Activity Guide has the answers:).

Ashley mentioned what was on the last page of The Children's Encyclopedia of American History I think to help you know it is the same book. I just wanted to clarify for others reading, this is the appendix, not where the book ends in history. This book ends around 2002, during George W. Bush's second term. The last major event is September 11, 2001.

Let us know if you have further questions!

annaz

Unread post by annaz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks again, ladies! I do have the correct Encyclopedia, which is good. A savings there. Thanks Lucy.

Also we're coming from oodles of narrations, so that's okay and the way it's set up. Yes, Lucy!! the Activity Guide WITH ANSWERS will be oh so nice along with a change of pace of outlining :) I am very happy about having some help. :-)

annaz

Re: Thank you for NEW Products!

Unread post by annaz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 pm

What a nice post! I'm going to add to it! I was extremely pleased with the 1850Mod TM! I am a paper snob and the paper and cover for this TM is AWESOME! :-)

MelissaB

Re: Thank you for NEW Products!

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 pm

Agreeing with Anna, the 1850-Modern TM is terrific.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4