Schedule - Singapore Math

TriciaMR

Schedule - Singapore Math

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:09 pm

Off track in Singapore math?
klewfor3 wrote:It doesn't look to me like we will be able to finish book 5B by 6th grade at this pace. Are the lesson plans set up to get you finished in time or are we supposed to be doing extra lessons?

What book should we have started in? How many books should we finish in a year?
My dd started Singapore late. We worked through the summers to have her finish 5B by the end of 6th grade (which she Did!)

My boys did 1A/1B in 2nd, 2A/2B in 3rd, 3A/3B in 4th, will do 4A/4B in 5th, and 5A/5B in 6th.

So, either work through the summer, or do math longer each day.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Off track in Singapore math?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Kathy,
If you start 1A at the beginning of 2nd grade, you can finish 5B by the end of 6th grade, if you follow the MFW lesson plans for Singapore, and if you do math 5 days a week as scheduled on the MFW grids, oh and if your school year is about as long as a typical MFW manual (34-36 weeks).

You wouldn't need to do any extra lessons unless you got behind or took a lot of days off, which does happen when our kids are sick or on holiday or just need to settle a while on a unit. Do you think something like that affected your progress?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks for the responses. Maybe we did take too much time off...I didn't think so but it looks like I am wrong :-).

I wasn't sure that the answer manual allowed us to get through 2 books a year. Hearing that it is set up that way, encourages me. We'll have to spend some time in the summer getting caught up! I'd rather do it now than when the material gets harder!

Thank you!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:28 pm

I just thought I'd offer you a little encouragement - my son is in 7th grade now and progressing through Saxon 87, right where I had hoped he would be. He is not strong in math, as my daughter is, but does above average with all other subjects.

I began home schooling him in 4th. Ultimately - I decided that he'd missed too much of the basics in school. (He was excelling because many in his class were struggling with very basic addition, and in 2nd grade at the end of the year, over 1/2 the class had not passed the 1+ facts. That was when I started to realize his school was not going to help him achieve his goals. He got a wonderful teacher for 3rd and I spent the entire year seeking other alternatives & decided to homeschool.)

After his placement test - he tested possibly in 2B and maybe 3A - I finally decided to back him up all the way through 2A and just move quickly through anything he was doing well - to ensure he'd really grasped the basics.

This was not always easy - we had to do math in the summers, but not the entire summer, and we had to do 2 lessons a day for several years. However - he moved from 2A - 5B, even breaking off a while to do Life of Fred Fractions when he got stuck on those. He finished 5B by 6th grade, and began Saxon 87 in 7th.

It can be done! No worries - just pray before you begin math each day - and keep God close as you work! I need Him so much when I teach my son - who still does NOT love math! However, he is doing fine - and is usually scores a mid-B on most of his lessons, sometimes higher.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:46 pm

asheslawson wrote: No worries - just pray before you begin math each day - and keep God close as you work! I need Him so much when I teach my son - who still does NOT love math! However, he is doing fine - and is usually scores a mid-B on most of his lessons, sometimes higher.
Just wanted to thank you for this reminder, asheslawson. Math at our house can go well some days and terribly on others. Thanks for the reminder to ask for help from The Teacher, daily, before the frustration begins! :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!