** Testimonies from Users, Even More!

4Truth

Re: What happened here?

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:36 pm

I peek in here every once in a while, but I'm more active on FB nowadays because I can cover more ground (groups, personal contacts, etc.) all (well, mostly) in one place, and in less time.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:02 pm

Part of my little free time rounds is checking this board and the mfw facebnok page. :-)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

romans8x28

Unread post by romans8x28 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Yodergoat wrote:It makes me sad because I don't use Facebook and don't particularly want to have Facebook. Yet so many things are going that way... :~
Unless you have something against the company as whole, I've seen people on the MFW boards with fake names so you could use it for boards only and not allow "real life" people as your friends.
Yodergoat wrote:This is a good idea. I just don't want to be drawn into the "friending" and such... but I would like to read the boards. Nice to know!
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 pm

The cool people are visitin' this board, too. 8)

;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Oh, that's good, Melissa. ;) 8)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

extrafor6

Loving MFW...just ordered for my 3rd year in a row!

Unread post by extrafor6 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 pm

I saw a post about how quiet things are on the board lately, so I thought I'd share! Even though I pop in here a few times a week, I rarely post just because I'm usually doing so during a quick break in the day.

MFW has really revolutionized our homeschool experience these past two years. I have never used the same curriculum for three years before MFW! It's helped me be more organized and given me a framework so that I can add books I like from other curriculums while still maintaing order and organization in our homeschool. It helps me follow through with everything. I'm a gal that needs a grid :) The first three years I homeschooled using other things, I was constantly changing, second guessing and questioning my decisions. Now, if there is something I want to use in addition to MFW resources, they are easy to add in as Book Basket books or read-alouds. I love the heart of the company and their philosophy of education. We are enjoying our kids and their education so much more now. I'm not nearly as worried and stressed out about using the "best" or "right" method to homeschool.

Last year I used ECC and part of 1st (wish I would have used it this year with CTG and held my young 2nd grader back a year). We've really enjoy CTG! My kids (11,9,7 and almost 5) KNOW the Bible and the Old Testament. It's amazing what they've retained and learned. The daily plans are plenty, but brief enough that we are able to fill out any areas we are more interested in and I still have time to teach individual subjects to three different ages. We all look forward to RTR next year and also MFW K with my youngest.

Just wanted to share words of encouragement to anyone on the fence in hopes to push you on over!

Blessings!
Stephanie

MelissaB

Re: Loving MFW...just ordered for my 3rd year in a row!

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:22 am

We'll start year #5 in July, and have the same thoughts as you. Our girls have learned tremendously more in science, geography and history since we've used MFW.

Last weekend, my brother-in-law came to visit. He has a PhD in theology. 8] After having a conversation with our girls, I heard him in my dh's office sharing how amazed he was at our oldest dd's Bible knowledge, particularly the history. He said, "I have students coming into seminary who don't know this much about the Bible."

Like you, we are very thankful for MFW.

And, Yes, I love the grid, too. :-)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Posted by jasntas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:01 pm
I'm over here now because I'm just getting ready to order the last year of the 5 year cycle. I just can't believe we will already be in the last year of the 5 year cycle this fall! We started using MFW when my ds started 3rd using ADV and my dd was starting K. My ds will be in 8th this fall and will complete the 5 year cycle. Learning with MFW has been such a blessing to our family. We all love it and have since we began.
MelissaB wrote:Last weekend, my brother-in-law came to visit. He has a PhD in theology. 8] After having a conversation with our girls, I heard him in my dh's office sharing how amazed he was at our oldest dd's Bible knowledge, particularly the history. He said, "I have students coming into seminary who don't know this much about the Bible."
MelissaB, we just had a similar experience. We recently started attending a new church. My ds went to the Jr. High boy's youth group (They split them up by age/gender). After the first class, the leader approached my dh and I and told us he may want to make our ds a leader in the class because of his Bible knowledge. Proud parents. :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Posted by Kelly1730 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 am
I was just talking with my 12 yo twins Sunday School teacher last night, she always remarks about how my boys "already know everything" about the bible;) Now, we all know that there is much more for them (and me!) to learn about God's Word but between the wonderful teaching they get in our bible believing church and the wonderful teaching they have received through MFW since Kindergarten they have a solid base to build on. Thanks MFW!!
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Winkie

Re: Why can't I find any long term MFW users?

Unread post by Winkie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:22 am

Posted by Winkie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 pm
This is our 9th year homeschooling and 9th year with MFW. When I first started researching homeschooling, I learned about the different approaches such as classical, CM, unit studies, etc. Then I requested a bunch of catalogs from different curriculum companies. When I got the MFW catalog, I felt like it had everything in it that I would want if I was writing my own curriculum.

If you check out my sig line you'll see that we're in our 2nd time through ECC and 4th(!) time through 1st grade. When I started MFW there were no plans to have a high school program. I'm so glad that changed along the way and I'm looking forward to starting high school next year. I expect to use MFW through graduation!

As far as online time - as others have said, we're busy! I used to be on this board daily for several years when we first started. Then I got more comfortable with homeschooling and the MFW approach, and I didn't have so many questions anymore. Also as more children arrived, my computer time decreased. I only just happened to be on here now because I'm checking out some specifics related to high school.

But I love MFW and how it works for us.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 am

Posted by asheslawson » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 pm
I can relate to some things everyone said who has posted on this. I began using MFW 4 years ago with my then 4th grader in ECC and my kindy did MFW-K. We are getting to ready our last year of 1850 - Mod too - and I am excited.

Even in busy times, when I sadly missed reading something here and there or skipped a project - my children have an incredible grasp of the bible and a growing love for our Savior! In addition, both of them do well in their other subjects - maybe really well - but it's hard to compare them when I only have 3 students. I homeschool another child, for his first year to be homeschooled, and he is in 7th grade, and he's needed so much help to catch him up from public school.

I am a semi-long term user, maybe. I'm about to begin my 5th year next year and will use 1850-Mod and the toddler package. I've used K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX-1850. The only ones I haven't used is Adventures, preschool, and the 2 I will be ordering for this coming year. I agree with what Julie said WAY back there in an early post on this thread - long term MFW users are probably not out reading and reviewing as much anymore.

As far as history, bible, science; I've stuck with what came in my MFW package completely. I've added some books of interest that fit as my book basket books. I've loved it every year. However - during the main part of the school year - I just don't get time to get online & read this board as much as I used to when they were younger. As my students have aged, my time commitment to them has increased, especially adding my 2 yr old granddaughter to my day! I have a feeling that this may be close to why many don't post as much.

Additionally, my children do very well in their co-op setting and many mom's who teach there have shared with me that they are extremely bright and the do very well in their classwork when writing assignments or other assignments are given (not trying to brag - and in reality, I promise, I am not! I could not have done this without lots of prayer and without the careful plans so well laid out by MFW.) Even when I thought I'd try what someone else was using have usually resulted in my deciding to go back to the recommendations of MFW!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Wahlfam6

Unread post by Wahlfam6 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm

This is our 7th year with MFW! We are using CtG for the 2nd time around, and one in AHL. We love the curriculum! We have had our struggles over the years, but it was usually something each individual child was struggling with, or just struggles as a family as a whole. But, overall, MFW has been a great fit for all of our kids. And, our oldest (almost 15) just told us recently that he thinks he wants to be a youth pastor, and already has a huge heart for missions! In fact, he will be going on his 3rd and 4th mission trip this summer! We will be long time MFW users.. our youngest will be starting PreK next year, so we will be going through the whole cycle again with him! :)

Blessedbyfive

Unread post by Blessedbyfive » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm loving all of these responses. Through this and the FB page, I've met a ton of MFW lovers, which makes me happy :-)
Ds 2nd-Adv. w/Singapore, AAS, Bookshark reading
Ds 1st-Adv. w/Singapore, AAR
Ds 3
Dd 2
Dd 1

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 am

Yay I'm so glad!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Susan on the Space Coast

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Ask anybody around MFW and they'll tell you we are long time users and we're committed to MFW! It was the inspiration for our brick and mortar store in Florida. We have shared MFW with plenty of others, so I personally know lots of long time users. I started K with all 3 kids and now starting high school with the third one next year, Sniff!

It all started after a weekend at Vision Weekend with the Hazell's!
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

When I saw that "Susan on the Space Coast" replied to a thread titled "Why can't I find any long term MFW users?" I actually did laugh out loud! :-)

I remember back when Susan was amazing loads of help when I got started 7 years ago and I wondered if I'd ever be that much of a veteran homeschooler.

I wonder why it is that MFW users aren't as apt to be commenting on other boards or blogs? For me, personally, I just like doing other stuff. I use the TM to help us get school done early and we play - music lessons, theater classes, science clubs, etc.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:36 am

I haven't been here in a while. I started using MFW with my oldest when she was in between K and 1st, and we went through CtG before she went to a charter school. Our surprise child is using the toddler toys (which I actually bought when I had a home daycare), and will be going through the cycle as well. I used to have a blog that chronicled our MFW days, but when homeschoolblogger switched over, my blog disappeared. (I have all the info on my now defunct computer :~ .) I'm not much for FB, although I have an account, and since I work full-time I don't have much time online anyway. Too bad Crystal isn't still around- she was quite the inspiration and also a long-time user.

Reasons I like MFW:
1. Biblically based
2. Flexible - since we homeschool bilingually, I appreciated the book basket. I could choose books that were in Spanish, instead of being stuck with all-English literature.
3. Literature selection - I started out with a different literature-based curriculum (all English). When I compared the book lists between that curriculum and MFW, I saw they were identical, even though MFW may suggest different books for different years. Since good literature is important to me, the flexibility of having the same literature selections and being able to switch to translations was a bonus.
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

lauramb

Unread post by lauramb » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:59 am

I'm late in jumping in on this conversation, but I wanted to reply. I'm not a really long time user (only four years), but I'm a devoted user who plans to go with MFW for the duration of our schooling (which means another 10 years!).

I don't post on any boards hardly at all (I had forgotten my log in to this one! LOL). I just do not have time.

But we love MFW. I have never looked back or doubted it. I was a little nervous about high school. My oldest is finishing up AHL this year and I think it has been wonderful and we look forward to next year and WHL!!

We have done Kindergarten twice, 1st grade three times, ECC, CTC, RTR, and Ex1850 this year. We will do 1850 to modern and WHL next year. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that my kids can all do it together. It has been such a blessing for my family. I am getting excited about doing ECC in a couple of years with my younger three who were just toddler/K/1st all those years ago. They remember doing some of it (like the passport) with their older brother. Now they will do it for themselves. And I can't wait. It was so much fun to do with my oldest, and I get to do it again with the others. Sooo Soooo Excited!

Finding MFW was an answer to a prayer--literally. I was using Five In A Row with my oldest, he was in 5th grade. I liked the program but felt we had done very little in history. I was kind of getting concerned. So while I drove alone to the homeschool convention (3 hours away), I prayed aloud to God asking for him to help me find a history curriculum for my son. When I get to the convention, David Hazell was the keynote/featured speaker. I went to EVERY ONE of his presentations. I cried, laughed, was inspired, and connected!! I called DH and we discussed it and considered it and he said to go ahead and get ECC for DS and K for our 2nd son. I was nervous and excited. It was a lot of money for our family--we usually spent less than $100 on curriculum (well only one was schooling anyway at that point). But we did and I have never looked back!!!

I have been encouraged by reading this thread!

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Mon May 05, 2014 8:42 am

I didn't read through all the replies as there are several pages by now. But I want to include my information as well. We just completed (last week) our 7th year of using MFW curriculum. I still love it and plan to to ECC for the second time next school year. Previously with our older children I did 13 years of homeschooling using a variety of different curriculum. I was so excited to find MFW to use with these younger. MFW wins, hands down.

I think this past year has been my favorite one so far. We were using 1850 to Modern Times. I'm not sure if it was what we were studying or the fact that my son (12) is doing so much better doing his school work. Maybe it was both. It has been the first year of homeschooling that I wasn't as excited to finish for the year.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

kw4blessings

2014-2015 Roll Call

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 pm

How fun! I enjoyed reading about each of you and your families.

We found MFW when my oldest was halfway through K, so we didn't begin until her 1st grade year. We had such a fantastic year with 1st and were SO glad to have found MFW. It was definitely an answer to prayer and we can't wait to start each year! This past school year, we used Adventures with Grace and K with Jonathan. Adventures helped us recognize Grace's love for history! Jonathan really blossomed into a great beginning reader and math whiz. :)

This year, we plan to begin August 11th. We'll be doing 1st again with Jonathan and really looking forward to it. ECC is patiently waiting on our storage shelf for August 2015. ;)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

DS4home

Re: 2014-2015 Roll Call

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:52 pm

I am on the older end of the spectrum here. We've been homeschooling for 12 and a half years now. Our oldest dd graduated from our homeschool and chose to work immediately after. A couple of years later she married and now has a family of her own. Our second dd graduated from our homeschool and has gone on to Bible college with New Tribes Bible Institute. She has plans to be a full time missionary in Africa.

Our third child is our only son, he is entering his Junior year of high school using MFW US - 1877. He is planning on going to college but has no idea what career interests him yet.

Our fourth and last child is our baby dd. She is ready for 5th grade this fall using MFW RTR. We will be joining with another family using the synergy guide this year. This is my second time through the cycle and I think I get even more excited as I prepare for each year because I know what's coming and all the fun we will have! :-) On the flip side I get sad at the end of each year, knowing that I won't be teaching it again... So hard to see that last one growing up! Loving every minute of it!!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 pm

This is a great idea! I loved reading about the other families.

We will start school on August 18th. I have a 5th grade boy, Tyler, who has officially started dreading the start of our school year ;) a 3rd grader, Paige, and a 1st grader, Brooklyn, who have been begging me to start school now! The last of my crew is my 15 month old Chase who will hopefully continue with long morning naps so we can focus on RTR and MFW 1st.

My multi-talented husband built an amazing 4 person school desk and school room for us 2 years ago. I need desperately to get in there and get the old out and the new in. I love doing MFW although I had not EVER thought I would homeschool. God directed our steps and we are now in our 4th year! Thank you, Jesus.

We are a family that follows a regular "school" calendar including "class" parties that we do with our co-op, days off for holidays, and snow days when the local schools are cancelled. Our first day of school we have ice cream sundaes for breakfast. :-) I may not do this the typical way but we sure have had a great time and have so many great memories.
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

MunkyWrangler

Unread post by MunkyWrangler » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am

Hey, my name is Leslie and we have 2 beautiful little girls. The eldest is Princess Minion who is 4, she's doing MFW K, ASL, and she should be starting gymnastics soon (the girl is triple jointed - it would be a sin not to let her do something athletic lol).
The youngest is Princess Na'vi who is 3, she's doing MFW pre-k, ASL, and making sure my Uncle's farm is ran properly (Honestly, I don't know how the man got along for so long without her. If it weren't for her, the whole place would go under and anarchy would reign amongst the animal castes. ;) )

Though Minion went to public preschool last year (and we loved the teachers - I have to add this because it is such a novel thing to find that statement in a now homeschooled environment lol), we felt led to homeschool. Which is fine because I, being homeschooled myself, have always leaned in that direction. We started school July 14th as we have decided to school year round. Everyone is having a blast!

Yes, I really do speak in parenthesis. My life is an animated adventure.
Leslie, wife to Robert for 7 long years :P
Princess Minion (5) 2014-2015 MFWK, Signing Time ASL
Princess Na'vi (4) 2014-2015 MFWP, Signing Time ASL
Ancora Imparo Academy, est. 2014

ruthamelia

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 pm

What a great idea- I've gotten so many useful ideas from all of you over the past year, it's nice to hear a little more about you!

I think ours may sound like a rather odd situation, but it works for us! Several years ago my sister sort of fell into home schooling when a few weeks of PS Kindergarten obviously did not fit her oldest son. We've been homeschooling since then, and just found MFW last year. My sister's kids are 10, 8, 6, 2, and a newborn, and my daughter is 3 with another coming in November. My sister and I each work about 3-4 days a week, and Grandma takes care of all the kids when either or both of us are working. So school works like this: I do curriculum planning- finding and choosing what to use (with collaboration) for the year, and then weekly writing out individual assignments for the 3 oldest. Math assignments take me the longest to do each week, because it also includes checking over the previous week's work! On my sister's days off, she does school. On days she works, my mom does school, and if I am not working I help also. In the evenings, my dad (an engineer) does math lessons with the oldest, then he (the 10 year old, not Grandpa!) does the Singapore workbook assignment by himself the next day. "School" is stored in big plastic bins so it can travel between houses. My brother-in-law helps out when he is around, and does all sorts of other things- swimming lessons, karate, building rockets, bike rides, museums, etc.

That might all sound a little disjointed, but it really does work! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed ECC last year, and we'll be starting CTG in a few weeks (baby is only 3 days old, so not quite ready to start yet!). One challenge for this year is going to be which house to put up the timeline. I'm also advocating for doing art at one house and music at the other, so all those materials don't have to travel back and forth! I'll just adjust the grid each week depending on what school days will be at which house. Another challenge is going to be doing school with 2 babies (brings total kids to 7!)- we'll have to figure something out before my sister and I are both back to work! In case anyone was wondering, yes Grandma is amazing and we all recognize it!

Ruth
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

homespun

Unread post by homespun » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:48 am

I love MFW. I love homeschooling and learning along with our dc. We have a DD in 8th and a DS in 6th.

We live on a small goat farm and enjoy simple, rural pleasures. God has given me the desires of my heart.

We have been doing MFW from the beginning and will be doing ECC for the second time this year. We are looking forward to doing it with close friends in a synergy group this time around.

I enjoy reading everyone's comments on the message board. Blessings to all.
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6