Academics - Too much for average or not college bound?

cbollin

Re: MFW AHL?? Aren't most classical curr. super rigorous?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 am

4littlehearts wrote:I got really nervous last night when I actually looked at Fagles translation of the Illiad and Oddysey on Amazon. I had a very difficult time understanding anything that was going on and I'm an adult. Thanks Crystal for posting the audio books, but even with them and the Sparks notes I still had a hard time following what was going on. Maybe I was too tired. It was around midnight when I did my research.

So in my mind, I'm thinking... how can I expect my 9th grader to understand this. I would have never been able to get through my high school lit. course without my English teacher totally translating to the class, in totally laymen's terms what was happening in the difficult pieces of lit. like Shakespeare and others. Are there other translations easier to understand? I have no problem with classics like Pride and Prejudice but this Greek stuff has totally thrown me for a loop. Thanks!
Iliad is quasi optional. In other words, there's a note in the DPL (high school doesn't have TM's, it's daily lesson planners) how to sub with something else for that book. So that's not going to be a problem.

Odyssey...they give us a literature supplement to help with that along the way. So, if needed, your student can always pre read the "recall questions" for each lesson before reading the chapter, and have the books open and answer as you go along. If the reading is getting them bogged down, you have an audio with book in front of you. know the "recall questions"... pause while reading/listening.. answer as you go along. This way it becomes a "rhetoric" level "narration" -- flame away on that.. but hopefully it makes sense.

My oldest need some time to get into Homer. Then it started to make some sense to her. I think with the recall questions and Lit Supplement, it'll be ok.

I can't read anything that late at night myself.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: MFW AHL?? Aren't most classical curr. super rigorous?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:35 am

I've been wanting to join this conversation, but havent been sitting still enough in my life to write anything out. So here's the lazy way - a link:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... AHL#p76340

Just know that you'll be building a foundation through the year, and if it's still tough, you can adapt or come here for ideas. We like chatting over here :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

21st Century Christians

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:59 pm

homespun wrote:As I look ahead to high school, I wonder about whether I should be teaching MFW which is geared for college or as my Mennonite background tends to lean more toward encouraging them to trade schools. I guess we'll just take it one year at a time and see what the leanings of dc are as they become more pronounced.

Thanks for listening to me as I think this through aloud. :~
I wanted to chat about this part. I agree, it helps to think out loud, since I have to clarify my own thoughts.

I agree that MFW high school is college prep. However, I'm not sure that is the same thing as 'pitch it out if you're not going to college.' Maybe some of the textbook and testing type things that gradually build in high school wouldn't be necessary in trade school, I'm not sure. But many parts of high school would apply to any young adult, I think. These thoughts are based on my experience with AHL, WHL, and the beginnings of US1...

-- AHL Apologetics through US1 Worldviews, understanding how your faith connects with the other parts of your life (science, archaeology, history, psychology, etc.), and how your faith stands up alongside other ancient and modern beliefs.

-- AHL argumentative essay through US1 study of early American writers (and probably the speech 0.5 credit in US2), developing the ability to defend your point of view clearly.

-- AHL/WHL Bible, reading line-by-line, cover-to-cover, and absorbing the Bible as one whole rather than random parts.

-- High school math, developing the logic and confidence to think through everything from whether the price of the large package is cheaper than the small package, to whether television news statistics really say what they claim, and perhaps how to run a small business some day.

-- Going thru the broad scope of history, in order to speak knowledgeably, read with understanding, and the proverbial learn from past mistakes.

I'm not going to claim that most high schoolers will absorb and retain every bit of a high school education. However, I'm of the impression that, for a student who plans to live and do business in the larger "21st century" community of today, 8th grade might not be enough? My current 11th grader is really a whole different egg than he was in the 8th grade.

Hope you get lots of conversation on your various interesting thoughts.
Julie

Julie in MN

MFW Highschool

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:16 pm

gratefulmom wrote:I have a rising 9th grader for this school year, along with an 8th,6th, 4th, 2nd and K. And a 2 year old and 10 month old. The curriculum for 9th grade looks pretty intense to me. Even though my daughter is very smart, she gets bogged down quickly, and has trouble finishing her work in a timely manner.

She does better with someone working alongside, and really wishes she had a classmate or friend to do things like Science. She really likes it if I read the textbook, ask her the questions, and just sort of "do" it with her. I already feel stretched really thin, though. Is MFW Highschool a huge jump from 8th grade? How have some of you other moms fit it all in? We hope to start in about a month, and it looks really big to me. The others will be in Ex - 1850's.
Hello,
I so remember being where you are. In fact, there are threads in the archives when I was where you are, asking the same questions. Here is a thread about AHL with non-readers, and at the beginning (2008), I was asking the questions. At the end (2012), I was answering LOL. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8972

Now that my son has graduated, I feel happy that I pulled him up into 9th grade, adapting along the way but putting some good apologetics and higher level thinking into him, too. I think we have to let go of everything being perfect, but we have to still allow our high schoolers to grow up. By the time they get to college age (or the workplace), they need to be able to read something a bit complex and write something fairly clearly. We also want their faith to be strong enough to withstand the winds that blow their way, so having the entire Bible under their belt is a big accomplishment.

I didn't have the large schoolhouse you do, but we were juggling illness and doing dialysis in our home, and it worked out. There were times I probably did more with my son than you ever will, but there were times I did nothing with him, too. There were times things went well and times things fell apart. I don't think you can hope for high school to go perfectly, I don't know, maybe in some homes, but I really value how MFW has thought through all the bases.

As for science, I had a big problem with getting my son to do that on his own. I was able to find one lab partner to do chemistry labs with him, and that was great. Something else that worked for us was VirtualHomeschoolGroup (dot com), which is free and has live online classes - my son responded much better to a bit of classroom for science. I've also heard of Landry Academy coming to different cities to do a year's worth of intensive labs in a couple of days.

HTH,
Julie

gratefulmom

Re: MFW Highschool

Unread post by gratefulmom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks, Julie, for directing me to the highschool archives. I spent some time reading there today, and will spend more time there. It was helpful to see some of the ways others have "lightened the load" for highschool students, with audio books and letting some things be optional.

I also want to check out the online science options, for my 9th grader and also my 8th grade girl, who does not enjoy Science anyway. I had hoped to let them do Physical Science together last year, but my then 7th grader was very quickly overwhelmed, so she started into General, but even that was really bogging her down. She ended up jumping in with the others near the end of the Human Body, and then doing Exploring Creation With Astronomy, which worked out really well.

Thanks for the encouragement!
NJCheryl wrote:Just wanted to chime in to say i am in the same boat. This year I will have a 9th grader, 6th grader, 3rd grader, 2.5 year old and 1 year old. I am praying the Lord will guide all of us to the correct choices for all of our children this school year.
Cheryl
I just had to come back with a praise! Monday morning my phone rang, and it was a homeschool friend who lives nearby. We have children about the same age, but we really don't get together that much. She was calling about doing a Science co-op this year. It was such a beautiful answer to prayer. Our two oldest will be doing Biology together with help or input from us as needed. We each have a 7 th grade daughter, and the other mom is planning to teach BJU's Life Science to them. And I plan to do the World of Animals and Exploring Creation With Botany with two 6th graders, one 4th, one 3rd and 2 in 2nd. Looks big, but I'm so excited about my big girls having a friend to do Science with. I think it will give a shot of excitement and motivation to all of us.

God is so good. Thanks for praying with me. The school year still looks really big, but I know His grace is sufficient.

Deborah
-wife to my farmer, Burton
-mom to Abigail, 14(AHL); Natalie, 12(8th); Burton Jr. 10(6th); Joshua, 8 (4th); Gabriel, 7(2nd); Ex-1850s, Luke, 5(K); William, 2; and Sarah Grace, 10 mo.

Julie in MN

Re: MFW Highschool

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Aw, thanks for sharing, I love when God take care of us :)