Science - Human Body comprehension

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
asheslawson

Science - Human Body comprehension

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 pm

RTR - The Human Body for Every Kid help....
klewfor3 wrote:Science is at the end of our day and I have been reading the assigned chapters and then going over the questions with my 5th grade ds and 3rd grade dd. The information seems to be going over their heads and they are having a tough time listening. Do I just keep going or should I be doing something different with the book? I love studying the human body and know my kids would like it too but I don't know if this book will work for us.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Kathy
We enjoyed this one - I'm not remembering exactly all the details - it's been a couple of years - but I remember that I did like it. However, that doesn't mean my kids enjoyed every lesson. Mine are in 8th & 4th now - so they were 6th & 2nd then.

What I found with science is it is one of the areas, when they were younger, I tried to keep light & fun. I wanted to make it interesting - and when they seemed a little lost on something - I summarized. I didn't stress if they didn't get everything we read then. I tried to find what seemed to peak their curiosity & use that.

Often - when a book "I" wanted them to glean info from because it was in my teacher guide - didn't work - I would have a book basket for the year - where I'd grouped all of my great books I'd found that were on topic & we'd pull them out & enjoy some reading. At the time when I was teaching that course I had a giant book on the human body. It had great pictures. I do this every year - I have a great collection I picked up here and there at Half Price Books, ebay, and homeschool classifieds. I also periodically borrow from the library. My books are in a spot I keep in the living room for "extra" books - it's basically my book basket. These are always available for my kids to read, or for me to grab when a topic just isn't engaging my child. Sometimes - they just need to see it from another angle. (And of course - today - with the internet - there is a plethora of info to support what we are learning.)

Now, with my 8th grader, it is more important for him to read & learn the material, even when it is dull or un-interesting to him. Otherwise - he won't do so well on that test that comes with Apologia's older courses. So - does this happen. I am happy to say - YES!!! He does very well - even on the units he doesn't particularly love. So - I think making learning fun when he was younger is really paying off now! Hang in there - and maybe it's not everyone's way - but I think it's ok to summarize. I couldn't put every subject in the early part of the day, when they were freshest - but when I looked up from reading & they were glazed over - I tweaked things and "shook things up a bit"!

Sometimes - I even saved parts of science for a different time - maybe read the info during school & did the experiments as a Saturday morning treat. Something to get them more excited about what we read - without pushing them to keep going when their little brains had tapped out! Hope that helps.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

klewfor3

Re: RTR - The Human Body for Every Kid help....

Unread post by klewfor3 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Julie in MN wrote:That book has quite a few hands-on activities (like all Janice Van Cleave books). Just simple little things that might be easy to skip over. I'd focus on those, especially with your younger one. Maybe even do them first and learn about the "whys" second?
4Truth wrote:Agree. Are you doing those?
We have not done all the activities but we have tried to. They are fun enough. I am just having a tough time with all the reading - for the whole day. There is A LOT and I am not sure what the goals are! What are the main points to focus on in each subject?

Science at the end of the day is almost too much! There are some hefty concepts, vocabulary, and ideas introduced in each chapter. I don't mind challenging my kids but what are we supposed to be a accomplishing?

I am just struggling with what I should be expecting from my kids. Every year I do this.

Sigh...today was a long day... %|

Kathy
4th year of MFW
5th grade ds
3rd grade dd
1st grade dd
15 month little one

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:50 am

This is what we are doing for The Human Body for Every Kid book, maybe it will help????

I like to write all the bolded words on a marker board where the kids can see the words while I'm reading. I read the couple of pages assigned. We do the exercises and if a diagram drawing is suggested then we focus on the terms we are using for our diagram. I also stress any terms needed during our experiments. That's it.

I do not stress over science in the younger grades at all. I'm just introducing them to things, hoping they find some of it fun. They learn more in a non-stressful way from the bookbasket. I have even skipped formal science a couple of years when things have gotten tough. I threw the MFW science books in the book basket. My dc came out no worse for it. Science becomes a more serious subject when we start Apologia General Science in 7th or 8th grade depending on my student.

Maybe moving science to a different part of your schedule when your brain is more fresh would help. Sometimes arranging things in a different order will help the day move more smoothly. Break the reading up a bit.

Hugs.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 am

Missy gave some great suggestions. Don't stress over it... Enjoy the process! :) Keep in mind that MFW elementary programs were written for multiple ages, so an older child might/should be able to do and retain more than a younger child. This is normal and okay.

As Missy said, they will get more on the human body in 7th grade Apologia General (there are several modules in that course that cover the topic), and then again in high school. Especially if they take Advanced Biology in 11th or 12th grade. (Not everyone does, as some will prefer advanced physics, chemistry, or whatever.)

Have you read any of Charlotte Mason's writings on the study of science in the elementary years? It's a lot like grammar in that the goals are exposure to the language (or process), and to teach them to enjoy it. The technical details come later when their brains are more developed, they're more mature, and they better understand the purpose behind it.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Thank you, thank you, Missy and Donna!

I come from a traditional school background and still struggle with finding my way in the homeschooling world. I also have the pressure of knowing that my husband would like our kids to go back to school one day. That said, the toughest thing for me is not knowing what I should expect from my 3rd grader versus my 5th grader - in all the subjects (except math and spelling). I.E. if there is a notebooking page, what exactly should my 5th grader be doing? And for science, my third grader can't even pronounce the main parts of the brain...let alone understand what a "menomic device" is. Of course I am ok with that, but what was the point of the science lesson for her?

I am so glad for MFW, I truly love it, and have total faith in the curriculum. I just am not sure when I should be "enjoying" the lesson and when I should be "encouraging" them to do better. My kids can't wait to be done with school so they tend to be minimalistic in there work. :-)

Thank again for the advice!
Kathy

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:17 am

Kathy, I so understand! I now just have the foresight because this is my second round through. My first kids were the guinea pigs. :) We also thought our dc would head back to school, but it never came to fruition. I would spend many, many nights worrying. It all came out OK. You are doing just fine! We will never get this thing down perfect. :) Thankful for God's grace.

I also thought I would mention that my 3rd grader cannot tell us the names of the parts of the brain either. :) She came out of the lesson with there are different parts of the brain that do different things. She made the diagram and it's in her notebook. Maybe some day when she is showing her notebook to daddy or grandma she will look again at the lesson and remember something I didn't think she understood or ask me what something was or not ;) .

Hoping someone here will see this and be able to give you specifics on how much to expect at each level.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:38 pm

You are doing fine, Kathy! :) They will look back at the notebooks in years to come and remember so much more than you realize! I think of these learning methods as sort of a "timed-release capsule" in which the lessons take time to slowly work through the system, which unfortunately means that you don't always see the lightbulbs come on immediately, but you do see the fruit later. It takes some time to get used to.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've apologized to my oldest (almost 19) for the mistakes I made with her as my guinea pig. :~ 8[] She always assures me that she wouldn't have it any other way, and she has apologized to me for her complaining at different times! ;) She's working on a degree in Early Childhood Education and is currently reading my Charlotte Mason books.... so we must've done something right here! :-)

As for what and how much to expect from the different ages/grade levels, try not to think of it as "grade levels", but think of it as "maturity level". Each child is unique and may develop at different rates, emotionally, academically, developmentally, and physically (fine motor skills). Each one has their own learning style, too. Have you ever read anything about learning styles? It might help you to "see" each of your children in their own way, and to glean ideas for how to best present the lesson to them. One may be a good memorizer of names and dates and such things, and feel like hands-on activities are a waste of time, and another may need the hands-on and visuals to really "get" something. Some may need more repetition than others. Some just need time for things to sink in. This is why the age-segregated classroom style cannot possibly be successful for everyone, and one of the reasons we homeschool. This is how we tailor to each child's individual needs!

David Hazell has given conference talks about multi-level learning and how to "distribute" to the different ages in your family. I don't see a CD of that conference talk available here on the website, but maybe you could call the office and ask about it? I'm sure they have something they can recommend or send to you. There is a learning curve, though. I remember when dd #2 hit school age, and she was so different than her sister, I had a really hard time adjusting. And I only had those two plus one little one! But I learned, and I grew to really love it. :) So much so that I then had a hard time adjusting at the other end when dd #1 hit high school! ;)

It's a season of life. Hang in there... You really are doing a great job! :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.