GHA - Supplies

Including using "English From The Roots Up," "God & the History of Art," & Composer Studies
Julie in MN

GHA - Supplies

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:33 am

mom2-3 wrote:Can someone please post a detailed list of supplies I would need if I were to do God and the History of Art? The ages of my kids are 7, 10 and 12.
Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:57 am

As for supplies, I think his web site has info on those. I know he sells them inexpensively ta convention. We have:
*drawing pencils
*eraser that really works (our best is a cheap snowman-shaped one!)
*colored pencils (we like Prismacolor) - make sure you have a true red, yellow, blue, green, orange, and purple, as some sets have funny varieties of these [ editor's note: more on colored pencils here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3605 ]
*drawing paper (I wish I had a size that fit in page protectors without trimming)
*eventually paints but we haven't done those lessons yet (primary colors, true pigments)
*we also like a clipboard for each student
*we used grid paper once or twice, but if you have ECC there's a grid page in there

Have fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Unread post by Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:54 am

Here's the supply list copied from How Great Thou Art website

washable markers, colored pencils, drawing pencil set, ultra fine pen, kneaded eraser & sharpener, and paints & brushes.

and I would add -- blank paper for the assignments, or copy the drawing page (as permitted in the book).

cbollin

CtG wk. 25 art

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:59 am

s_duguid wrote:PURE PIGMENT acrylic paint . . . can someone let me know what this is and how it is different from the acrylic paint I own. I was looking at acrylic paint at the craft store and it looked like the ones at Wal-Mart, but then I read my TM again and it mentions pure pigment. Will this be hard to find?

Thanks,
Sue
Hi Sue,

One thing to consider is to order the pigments from How Great Thou Art (the publisher of God and the History of art)
http://www.howgreatthouart.com/products/69.html

I remember way back when... we bought those and used them for several years. Not sure that would help if you need something for tomorrow's lesson.

I know I've used walmart stuff or hobby store stuff and it all worked out because we weren't trying to win an art contest, but just teach art. You'll want to be mixing the primary colors and tinting with the white. I've probably even used non acrylic. (blush)

Right now, we're using some tubes of paints. I don't know if they are "pure" pigments or not to be honest. They blend well and mix fine so that the assignments can be done. They were in a kit of Chinese Brush Painting and technically are "watercolor" pigments because that's what it says on the tube. But not the cheap plastic water color in the school supply section. These are small tubes of pigments. I think my mom got this kit at something like one of the big chain book stores. It has brushes too. Very different style of painting and brushes.

not sure that helped any. But that's been my experiences with this book. I've done the supplies directly from Barry Stebbing's company. I've done wallyworld or Michael's. And now we're doing the chinese brush kit.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: CtG wk. 25 art

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:23 am

I just went to Michaels and bought whatever acrylic paints were on sale last weekend (something for like 69 cents a little bottle). I think the brand was called "American." And I bought "Primary Red," "Primary Blue," and "Primary Yellow." There wasn't a "Primary White" so I bought the one that looked the most white. I think any acrylic paint would be fine. I just got the feeling from reading the lesson briefly they just wanted you to get the true blue, yellow, red, and white, not "Rose Red," "Sky Blue," "Canary Yellow," because you would be mixing the colors to make other colors.

We were going to try to do the first painting lesson yesterday, but unfortunately, dd came down with a terrible cold, so we haven't done it yet.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:21 am

I actually got our paints from Barry Stebbing's booth at our convention, so they are "officially" the right kinds of paint, I guess.

They are just regular 2-ounce plastic bottles of acrylic paint. They were not expensive. I'm no expert, but I don't see anything fancy about the type of paint, except that they are very color-crayon-type primary colors. e.g. The blue is "blue" and not "bright blue" or "dusky blue" or some other blue. (Just for fun, Wikipedia has lots of shades of blue if you search their site for "Category:Shades of blue" :) )

The Barry Stebbing bottles do have cute names with Bible verses ;) We have Rebekah Red (Gen 24:45) and Boaz Blue (Ruth 2:1), Yokefellow Yellow (Phil 4:3) and White as Snow (Isa 1:18) !! !!

Julie

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Julie in MN wrote:I actually got our paints from Barry Stebbing's booth at our convention, so they are "officially" the right kinds of paint, I guess.
He is actually speaking at our convention this year!!! I'll definitely have to stock up at the booth. Since I haven't looked ahead through the rest of the GHA book, yet, are there any other items I should purchase while at the convention?

I'll have to muddle through until then :~

Didn't see what I thought I needed at Michael's yesterday. Will have to go to Wally's, since it's closer. Need the supplies for tomorrow's lesson.

Thanks for your help, ladies.

--Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 pm

s_duguid wrote:Since I haven't looked ahead through the rest of the GHA book, yet, are there any other items I should purchase while at the convention?
I'm assuming you have some good colored pencils and some drawing paper already? Convention is always a fun time to look around at those kinds of extras. I remember one year I was hunting for drawing paper that was already cut to the correct size for slipping into a page protector... little things like that make up a treasure hunt (and keep me away from the BIG things that might tempt me :) ).

By the way, there isn't a ton of painting in CTG. It's just an intro. He does teach kids to mix their own colors, which is cool. It makes for much more in-depth observation, as well. There are more painting lessons in RTR, I think.

Julie

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 pm

I am so glad I read this post! Barry Stebbing is coming to a town near us for art drawing lessons next week. I have signed my boys up for his classes (3 afternoons for 2 1/2 hours each). These classes were very reasonable in price.

We are doing CTG this next year so now I know to check out the art supplies while I am there.

Julie in MN wrote:The Barry Stebbing bottles do have cute names with Bible verses We have Rebekah Red (Gen 24:45) and Boaz Blue (Ruth 2:1), Yokefellow Yellow (Phil 4:3) and White as Snow (Isa 1:18)
NEAT!

Amy C.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 am

Oh.... had to bump this back to the top...

In week 25, you do that Stag Beetle project in God/history art.....

when you get to week 30 and beyond and are reading from Aesop for Children book... take a look on p. 70-71 (in my book anyway) and then bring back out your week 25 art. The fable is The Eagle and the Beetle, just in case my page numbers are different.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Art and Supplies

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm

lauramb wrote:I am excited about the God & the History of Art that I will be doing with my 6th grader. I found an How Great Thou Art catalog and noticed that there is a supply set that goes with this curriculum. It comes with paints and brushes and pencils, etc. I'm wondering if this is something I might want to purchase.

We have lots of markers and lots of colored pencils and lots of paints and brushes. But they are Crayola, Rose Art and cheap stuff. Will I be scrounging around for better supplies at the last minute? Or should I go ahead and order this? Or is this something that I can order later if what we have doesn't fit the bill.

Thanks,
Laura
6th and 2nd grader in CtG
1st grader in MFW 1st grade
Pre-K tagging along for now
Laura,
I personally don't think you need to get Mr. Stebbing's paints, but they are fairly inexpensive and might save some agonizing over whether you get the "right ones." One thing to note is that you don't use the paints all that much in CTG. But the few lessons you do have are really good about mixing paint and such, so... ? We had an interesting discussion about Barry Stebbing's own paints earlier this school year:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 734#p58734

As for the colored pencils, I am a big fan of getting a good set. I personally invested in those for my kids, plus good storage containers so they aren't constantly broken, and I will say that they've lasted through may years of homeschooling. However, others are happy with Crayola. There have been some colored pencil conversations in the past here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3605

Maybe something in there will sound like your family.
Julie

gratitude

Re: Art and Supplies

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 pm

I cliked on your post since I enjoy art, but I too am giving a suggestion from our experience with MFW Grade 1 Art instead of CtG (Hope someone with more experience comes along - and they did just as I posted :) ).

I started the art for Grade 1 with the cheap stuff from Target. At some point I went to the art store and bought the pencils, colored pencils, paper, etc. for doing art. It made a BIG difference in what they were able to learn, produce, and the quality of their work. They learned a lot with a regular pencil, but much more with real art supplies.

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Dear Laura,

I think it is worth buying a good set of colored pencils like Prism. We used these for years for art and note booking and they lasted a long time. As far as paint I just bought the primary colors and white in tubes at an art store. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. A good set of art brushes is worth the purchase too. Again not the highest end,or the lowest, but somewhere in the middle.

Sorry I am not familiar enough withe the How Great Thou Art package to comment on it.

Happy learning!

Lucy

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 pm

A long time ago, in a state far away....

How Great Thou Art had a booth at the convention, so I just picked up the GATHOA art supply there. It was nice. They were there. it was done. Still have the brushes. Liked the pencils. cost wasn't ridiculous considering all things. Personal service. etc. I like supporting exhibitors who bring product. :)

My "problem" with having that set involved the paints. I had to make absolutely sure the paints were out of reach/site/unknown to my youngest child. They definitely were not intended for washable issues with my youngest.... who also likes to just experiment with pouring. and you get the idea.

So, we "settled" (if you can call it that), for hiding them successfully for several years and letting the older girls use them when youngest was away at special needs group preschools. :) And then, I kept plenty of preschool appropriate paints around the house in small quantities for my youngest to enjoy Process over Product results.

Some lessons out of I Can Do All Things, my middle gal just used "cheap paint" while she was learning. Yes, I know some kids do much better when they have special paints/brushes etc to do their very best, but at heart, I'm such as product over process with art, that it wasn't an issue for my youngins.

-crystal

jasntas

God & History of Art question - DVDs

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 am

cbollin wrote:...I thought there was a DVD with the book these days... I've seen something on it on christian book dot com. the trailer for the dvd is not same script as the book form. I don't know if the dvd teaches the lessons, or just provides historical commentary.
I thought I would comment on these DVDs since I own them. I purchased them last year but haven't used them yet. :~ They do not include art lessons but are more like art lectures. I have only seen the first two lessons but I really enjoyed them. I'm not sure if my dc would like them but I'm thinking about adding them anyway as each lesson seems to only be about 10 minutes long. Christianbook.com states that the DVDs are for ages 6 and up but the DVD case itself states that the DVDs are recommended for ages 12 and up which I think is more accurate. The DVDs include 12 lectures given by Barry Stebbing and includes beautiful art and classical music.

We started using the art lessons from God & The History of Art at the beginning of last year but I couldn't seem to pull it off so I started teaching the I Can Do All Things art program that I never used from ADV since I had purchased the lesson DVDs. I just can't seem to pull off teaching art myself because we only got about 10 or 15 lessons completed from that program. The DVD's for ICDAT lessons don't start until after the first 26 lessons or so. I never got to the DVD's. :~ 8O My dc loved it and wanted to continue but I just couldn't seem to pull it off. But that's just me. I love art projects and science projects but I just can't seem to make myself teach formal art. That doesn't mean that it would be a problem for others, just me.

My dc and I do love art and we all really enjoyed the art appreciation books from the 1st Grade stuff. My dc were very unhappy with me when they discovered I sold them. That's why I'm thinking about showing them the lessons from the GHA DVDs.

It's late so I hope this message makes sense.

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:05 pm by jasntas
I purchased and used them but these DVD's are NOT art lessons. They are more like art appreciation lessons. And they are geared more toward 7th grade and up. My kids were younger and at first found them pretty boring. We are also very slowly working through 'I Can Do All Things' using Barry Stebbings DVD art lessons for those. I think because my kids were already familiar with Mr. Stebbings they were willing to sit through the GHA lessons. By the end of the year they did enjoy the lessons but I would not suggest using them unless you have already made the purchase and/or you have 7th graders and up but not if you are looking for actual art lessons. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

momxnine

CTG Paint and Marker Cards

Unread post by momxnine » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:53 am

SarahP wrote:Can you all recommend a brand/type of paint and/or markers for the Paint and Marker cards in the CTG package?

I just placed my order!
Here we go - homeschooling for the second year (3 boys - a 9 year old and 2 who will be 6 in 23 days!)

Thanks!
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

You can purchase all the art supplies in a package from HGTA if you want to do it the easy way. :) Mr. Stebbing uses Prang for the watercolor markers, but he says on the video (which can also be purchased on his site, but not necessary), that you can use Crayola Washable Brites and they work just fine.

Be sure and get Prismacolor colored pencils. Even though they cost more, they are SOOOOO much better. The ones from the store aren't good. And the paints are acrylic paints, the kind that come in the little bottles.

Hope that helps!
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go